Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

LionArcher posted:

Dont forget beans and rice veggie burritos. And breakfast burritos.

Both good ideas. I'm not really a breakfast person generally, but now would be good a time to get more acquainted with scrambled eggs in general. I've got some sushi vinegar lying around as well, so ideas for cheap asian rice bowls would be nice too. Pork chops are pretty cheap here, if I remember correctly, so maybe I'll make some katsu-don with just the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

skillet pizzas

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Doc Walrus posted:

Both good ideas. I'm not really a breakfast person generally, but now would be good a time to get more acquainted with scrambled eggs in general. I've got some sushi vinegar lying around as well, so ideas for cheap asian rice bowls would be nice too. Pork chops are pretty cheap here, if I remember correctly, so maybe I'll make some katsu-don with just the basics.

And if you get bored check out budget bytes. Great cheap meal ideas.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Doc Walrus posted:

QUEST: What all can I do with Flour Tortillas? I know I can make ground beef and chicken tacos, of course. I found a recipe for a tortilla version of eggs-in-a-basket, where you cut a hole in the middle of a tortilla, so I'd like to try that.

Quesadillas. Flautas. Chimichangas. Fajitas (bell pepper, carrot, and onion if you want to skip meat). Maybe chilaquiles, migas, and enchiladas? (I would use corn for those, but maybe flour could work.) Have them with barbacoa, avocado, and lime.

My wife and I like to shred leftover meat and deep fry tacos. And you can layer tortillas and fillings to make a sort of lasagna (never made it, but I've had it in Arizona a few times and dug it; again, they were corn, though).

Doc Walrus posted:

Is there a good recipe for canned tuna fish tacos out there?

No. Sorry.

More seriously, why do you want canned tuna fish tacos? If you want to do something to make the tuna more exciting, the tortilla doesn't seem the way to go.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Doc Walrus posted:

Doc Walrus got laid off! I've got some savings so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to spend as little as possible until I'm employed again. I'm putting together a shopping list, and I'm structuring everything around Flour Tortillas.

QUEST: What all can I do with Flour Tortillas? I know I can make ground beef and chicken tacos, of course. I found a recipe for a tortilla version of eggs-in-a-basket, where you cut a hole in the middle of a tortilla, so I'd like to try that. Is there a good recipe for canned tuna fish tacos out there?

I often do something similar with pita bread. I don't always eat wraps like this sounds like, but it seems like that's what you want to do. You should do some good veg Indian or Thai curries, stirfrys and pastas or something as well.

I usually buy greek yoghurt and make a sauce with that and garlic
I'll check out the fruit and veg grocer and buy whatever is cheap, then pitas, then yogurt. I stock up on veg that lasts more than a week for slaws, do chua etc (carrots, lettuce, cabbage, celery), then check out the marked down section for stuff that needs to be eaten in a day or so (like cucumbers, tomatoes, capsicum) Also I buy a bunch of green onions and when I'm home plant them in dirt and last me ages.

Celery, tomatoes and capsicums usually go into a bean stew which I'll have with rice for a few days and then turn it into refried beans in pita wraps with the rest of the salad veg. Then to finish off the short life veg stuff I'll use sardines or something in the salad wraps. Then I'll move onto the longer life veg and make slaws or do chau to serve in a wrap with any meat I have.

E: For the tuna, it would work with the green salad wraps but I much rather have sardines or mackerel in a wrap. With your tuna and sushi vinegar why not make some nori rolls? I usually make 3 rolls with a 185g can tuna, 1/2 a large cucumber and a carrot. No point making more than 3 or using more than 185g tuna because they're only good for a day or 2 after making them (keep them uncut and tightly wrapped in gladwrap in the fridge)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 3, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the tuna's better off in rice balls I guess. That reminds me, I need to try Tamago Kake Gohan sometime and all the ingredients for that are dirt cheap. Also it's not that I specifically want to make wraps, I just can't think of much else to do with tortillas aside from tacos, burritos, etc. I've got a deep pan I use for frying chicken and fish, so I think I could pull off chimichangas and deep fried tacos.

E: My next grocery store trip after the tortilla one will be focused on pita bread and hummus. You don't need a pressure cooker or slow cooker for most Indian food, do you?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

ibntumart posted:

enchiladas? (I would use corn for those, but maybe flour could work.)

I would skip any enchiladas with flour tortillas--you really do need corn for any application where the tortilla is baked and sauced heavily. Flour tortillas turn into overcooked gross slimy starchy mess and lose their shape and structural integrity entirely. You really do need corn for those. It has to do with the way the starches break down.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Doc Walrus posted:

E: My next grocery store trip after the tortilla one will be focused on pita bread and hummus. You don't need a pressure cooker or slow cooker for most Indian food, do you?
You only really need a pressure cooker for dried beans or tough meat. If you buy canned beans/chickpeas then you don't need one. Most indian recipes are stove top simmer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Even with dried beans a pressure cooker is just a time saving device. People were cooking dried beans for thousands of years before pressure cookers were invented. As long as you soak them overnight they’ll still cook in a reasonable timeframe. Dried chickpeas and other legumes will taste better than canned.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, but they probably had a fire going for some other reason and didn't have to pay modern electricity rates :v:
I'm a big proponent of dried beans and pressure cooker for cheap beans and cheap cuts of meat but I'm not going to tell someone unemployed to buy one, or to suggest doing dried beans for 3hrs hours on a stove. If you're home a lot due to not working the power bill might go up enough anyway.
I don't like canned chickpeas, and if I didn't have a pressure cooker I'd buy chana dal. I need dry anyway for falafel.
The only time I've bought canned beans was when they were half price and it worked out about the same cost as dried. Still at the supermarket bude? When's the next 1/2p sale on them? I stocked up on canned black beans and pintos but I'm running out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 3, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
For dry beans I usually soak them in a pot of water unheated overnight, then drain and fridge them until it's time to cook them. Then it doesn't take much time at all to cook on the stove. Good to know I don't need any new equipment for Indian food! Now I just need to see where I can get some cheap paneer.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Doc Walrus posted:

If you're making hummus or anything involving tahini absolutely make your own with some bulk sesame seeds. Jars are crazy expensive and homemade is as good or better and takes just minutes. This is probably basic knowledge, but I'm a dumb and didn't figure it out for ages.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doc Walrus posted:

For dry beans I usually soak them in a pot of water unheated overnight, then drain and fridge them until it's time to cook them. Then it doesn't take much time at all to cook on the stove. Good to know I don't need any new equipment for Indian food! Now I just need to see where I can get some cheap paneer.

Paneer is super easy to make. This is the method I've always followed, and once you do it a few times you'll never forget what it should feel/look like.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, but they probably had a fire going for some other reason and didn't have to pay modern electricity rates :v:
I'm a big proponent of dried beans and pressure cooker for cheap beans and cheap cuts of meat but I'm not going to tell someone unemployed to buy one, or to suggest doing dried beans for 3hrs hours on a stove. If you're home a lot due to not working the power bill might go up enough anyway.
I don't like canned chickpeas, and if I didn't have a pressure cooker I'd buy chana dal. I need dry anyway for falafel.
The only time I've bought canned beans was when they were half price and it worked out about the same cost as dried. Still at the supermarket bude? When's the next 1/2p sale on them? I stocked up on canned black beans and pintos but I'm running out.

14 years in November.

Like they’d tell me. I can’t even give customers next week’s catalogue the day before specials changeover when the customer can see them stacked behind the counter.

I like cooking with Toor Dal, as an alternative to chickpeas. It cooks very quickly on the stovetop even without soaking.

I have a curry bush now; so I take advantage of it often. Curry leaves are delicious.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Doc Walrus posted:

Scrambled eggs with chorizo is tasty and so goddamn good. Fry up the chorizo the n when cooked, add some eggs.
Put a little salsa and maybe some cheese on it.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

Fo3 posted:

I've always assumed the cost of cooking beans would be negligible, but Fo3 made me doubt myself, so I did some research.

tl;dr: Beans are really cheap, no matter how you cook them. The difference between beans and other foods in terms of protein per dollar is enormous and, as long as you have either time or a pressure cooker, cooking large batches of beans will save you money. Also, I eat a lot of beans.

Things I learned:

• Simmering beans on an electric stove will draw 1.0-1.5 kilowatts.
  • Electricity averages about 11 cents per kilowatt hour in the USA (but might be as high as 20 cents in some places)
  • Gas will probably be cheaper than electric, but I'm not going to worry about gas because none of the cheap apartments I've lived in have had it.

Average cost of cooking beans for 3 hours: (1.2 kW) * (3 hours) * ($0.11 per kWh) = $0.40

Maximum cost: (1.5 kW) * (3 hours) * ($0.20 per kWh) = $0.90

Here's a handy calculator: http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_stovetop.htm

Information is not abundant for pressure cookers, but I'd guesstimate that most electric ones would use 0.5-1.0 kWh per batch of beans, which would save you roughly 30-70 cents.

I go through roughly 200 lb of dried beans in a typical year (yes, really), and I cook maybe 3 pounds at a time (I think?), so let's say 65 batches a year. The places I've lived have had cheap to average electricity, so using a pressure cooker has saved me at most $20/year, and it'll take my pressure cooker a few more years to pay for itself. In a place with expensive electricity, a pressure cooker would save more like $50/year.

This is more of a difference than I expected (and there have been times in my life where it wouldn't have been negligible), but I think it's low enough that beans are still a cheap as hell source of nutrition even if you don't have a pressure cooker. Nothing else even come close in terms of protein per dollar. Unless you have IBS or something, beans are a great money saving recommendation.

this post got really long, oops.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
HaHa. I figured around $1 (electricity here is 26c /kWh), probably more if you live in cheap and old houses with terrible coil stovetops 30-40yrs old. I guess if you cook in bulk it might be worthwhile but I normally just cook one bean meal a week (like 2 cups dried max) as I try to vary cuisine, bean type and herbs/spices every week. It's not an expensive meal but like I said, I'm going to assume power use will go up as well if not at work, so it's an extra hit however small it is and more so if you cook like me (3-4 days worth of one bean recipe) and not in bulk like you.
Buying canned beans when on sale is cheaper, especially if they don't eat the herioc amout of beans you do. When they're half price here it's the same cost as dry beans, less cooking time and no chance of buying stale beans that take even longer to cook.
E: also my still is cheaper to run that I thought. Going by how much my bill went up I assumed it was at least $5 a run. But it's a 1400w element that's on for 5 hrs, so it's only $2 a run. Sometimes I feel guilty wanting a second run if I'm not happy so I'll drink the substandard stuff, but no more! I know what I'm doing tonight .

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 4, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Imbroglio posted:

I go through roughly 200 lb of dried beans in a typical year

Jesus, are you a lumberjack or a longshoreman or something?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Nicol Bolas posted:

I would skip any enchiladas with flour tortillas--you really do need corn for any application where the tortilla is baked and sauced heavily.

I mean, I would do corn, too, for almost everything I listed, but it sounds like he’s doubling down on flour tortillas for whatever reason.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Flour tortillas turn into overcooked gross slimy starchy mess and lose their shape and structural integrity entirely. You really do need corn for those. It has to do with the way the starches break down.

Good point. I was thinking maybe don’t sauce it too much and definitely don’t dip the tortillas in sauce beforehand, but it’d probably just turn as gross as you’re saying.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

ibntumart posted:

I mean, I would do corn, too, for almost everything I listed, but it sounds like he’s doubling down on flour tortillas for whatever reason.

Good point. I was thinking maybe don’t sauce it too much and definitely don’t dip the tortillas in sauce beforehand, but it’d probably just turn as gross as you’re saying.

I just like flour tortillas more :shrug: I'll try corn for the more sauce-heavy stuff though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, my wife thinks I probably have thyroid issues, and considering I'm trying to lose weight and eat more veggies anyway, I figured I'd try out some different recipes that might help kill two birds with one stone. I'm looking for recipe ideas that include more cruciferous vegetables, as they apparently stimulate the thyroid. I'm not really worried about the iodine issues that may arise, as I eat a bunch of the listed good sources of iodine.

So, looking through the list, I know I like broccoli in general. Brussels sprouts are good when roasted with bacon and served with caramelized onions. I know that kale and collard greens are parts of some southern comfort foods. Any other ideas are definitely welcomed though, especially with summer coming up, and the heat of the stove being on for long periods of time getting less and less favorable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

neogeo0823 posted:

So, my wife thinks I probably have thyroid issues, and considering I'm trying to lose weight and eat more veggies anyway, I figured I'd try out some different recipes that might help kill two birds with one stone. I'm looking for recipe ideas that include more cruciferous vegetables, as they apparently stimulate the thyroid. I'm not really worried about the iodine issues that may arise, as I eat a bunch of the listed good sources of iodine.

So, looking through the list, I know I like broccoli in general. Brussels sprouts are good when roasted with bacon and served with caramelized onions. I know that kale and collard greens are parts of some southern comfort foods. Any other ideas are definitely welcomed though, especially with summer coming up, and the heat of the stove being on for long periods of time getting less and less favorable.

Roast broccoli is pretty great. Sauteed cabbage and onions can be pretty jolly.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

Sriracha cauliflower bites are my absolute favorite way to do cauliflower.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Greens, bok choy (any choy), cabbage, most of these things really - sautée with shitloads of garlic for easy goodness. It's so simple but makes them super delicious without needing to use the oven. You can also add cauliflower to mashed potato if you want more of it but don't want to do anything specific with it. Or some people like it and broccoli raw with dips for another easy, no heat application.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

You can also add cauliflower to mashed potato if you want more of it but don't want to do anything specific with it.

Cauliflower is kinda pricey but honestly it mashes / purees up really well solo with just salt, pepper, and goat cheese.

As for collards, I love love love this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/collard-greens-braised-in-coconut-milk-and-tomato-recipe.html

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sweet, all those ideas sound pretty good. I'll see what I can fit in for this week's lunches at work, and possibly a couple dinners and/or sides as well.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My wife and I recently began doing cauliflower, lentil, potato curry, and it's pretty great.

Roast cauliflower by itself is also very good. Add a little garlic and a hit of lemon juice at the end to really add different dimensions of flavor.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
Any Hot Tips for vegetarians eating well on a budget for a couple who's had to suddenly vacate their residence? I've bookmarked vegrecipesofindia.com, but I'm figuring out how to basically rebuild a pantry from scratch while working around some major dietary restrictions. (I would eat nothing but eggs and rice when I was single, but my fiancee has a pretty severe rice allergy so that limits us a bit -- and I can't just throw big, cheap hunks of meat into the slowcooker because she's vegetarian.)

Our main staples have been couscous/pasta for a grain and eggs for a protein. We've got a big 5 lb bag of red potatoes, a bunch of onions and garlic, some frozen and a small assortment of fresh veggies, and some tea and sugar we managed to grab before leaving. My fiancee lost her pretty extensive spice collection in the process and we can't really replace it all upfront, so we're going to try to do it bit by bit, but right now all we have to serve that purpose is salt/pepper/dried parsley. Either way the burning question right now is "how can we maximize this next $50-100 or so on groceries while we wait for food stamps to go through?" For meals we've been doing a lot of frittatas/grain salads/pasta (tonight we did tomato pie with some sauteed zucchini and squash) and I'm just thinking about how I could maybe put together a menu that doesn't get too stale over time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I feel like I post this pretty often but this book is all you really need.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gandhichan posted:

Any Hot Tips for vegetarians eating well on a budget for a couple who's had to suddenly vacate their residence? I've bookmarked vegrecipesofindia.com, but I'm figuring out how to basically rebuild a pantry from scratch while working around some major dietary restrictions. (I would eat nothing but eggs and rice when I was single, but my fiancee has a pretty severe rice allergy so that limits us a bit -- and I can't just throw big, cheap hunks of meat into the slowcooker because she's vegetarian.)

Our main staples have been couscous/pasta for a grain and eggs for a protein. We've got a big 5 lb bag of red potatoes, a bunch of onions and garlic, some frozen and a small assortment of fresh veggies, and some tea and sugar we managed to grab before leaving. My fiancee lost her pretty extensive spice collection in the process and we can't really replace it all upfront, so we're going to try to do it bit by bit, but right now all we have to serve that purpose is salt/pepper/dried parsley. Either way the burning question right now is "how can we maximize this next $50-100 or so on groceries while we wait for food stamps to go through?" For meals we've been doing a lot of frittatas/grain salads/pasta (tonight we did tomato pie with some sauteed zucchini and squash) and I'm just thinking about how I could maybe put together a menu that doesn't get too stale over time.

You can do steamed red potatoes in a microwave steamer, with oil and thyme. That's simple and awesome.

Oatmeal is pretty great. I just get plain and mix in salt, a little sugar, and whatever nice jam or preserve I find on sale. Oh, peanut butter is nice too.

Eggplant, squash, and tomatos are in season and frequently on sale some of my favorite things. Maybe a ratatouille? You can stretch it by putting it over pasta. Also, just roasted or grilled is amazing. If you have a grill available, grilled squash spears are nice. A nice marinaded grilled eggplant slice on a roll with ketchup and mustard is a great vegburger!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Doc Walrus posted:

I just like flour tortillas more :shrug: I'll try corn for the more sauce-heavy stuff though.

Same here. Even slathered in sauce I think corn tortillas have a dry texture.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Moey posted:

use more lard

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Moey posted:

I'm not alone! Also I found another trick that works well for tacos-- when you're done cooking the meat, throw it in a food processor if you have one (cheapest ones are around $30) and pulse it a few times. It makes the meat take up a LOT more surface area, which means you can fill more tacos or sandwiches with them. I like the texture as well, but I guess that's subjective.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I mean, it really depends on the tortilla. My recommendation is to make your own or buy same-day tortillas from the local tortilleria of your choice. Not everyone wants to make tortillas, and not everyone has a local tortilleria. In that case, Tortillaland are quite good, and available at Costco. Just cook them in a dry pan for a minute and they're ready to use. Better than any bagged tortilla.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I love both flour and corn tortillas but I make my own of both. I'm unemployed right now so that makes them cheaper, especially since I have the time for it.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I recently discovered that chicken adobo is cheap, easy and tasty as gently caress. Pretty much all the ingredients are pantry items that will last a long time-- vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves, garlic, sugar and black peppercorns. I just threw some drumsticks in a pot with the marinade and cooked it until tender, then shredded the meat, reduced the sauce a little and ate it over rice.

Why is this not a bigger thing? It's so delicious and cheap as hell! I'm gonna do chicken leg quarters next time, I'm not a drumstick person, they were just on sale.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I love chicken adobo, my wife hates vinegar and stews so I only make it when I want to eat the entire batch myself, but it's so good.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, It's pretty good. I used to do it a few times when I was into chicken. Chicken or pork, whole head of garlic, 1 onion, bay leaves, pepper, light soy, vinegar. Optional sugar, oyster sauce, potatoes, fish sauce, eggs or stirfried veg.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For some reason I got it into my head that adobo was a sweet, thick sauce with caramel or chocolate or something. Maybe I should give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I think it's from spanish adobar for 'marinate' or 'sauce', so it varies by cuisine, ie mexican, south american or in this case filippino

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 10, 2018