Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

two challenge wins, still got an idol, plus his weird fake advantage that seems pretty useless.... dom's a lock for f3 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
There's no way Wendell is not playing his idol tonight. Donny blew the top off that blindside

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hahaha Donathon just blowing everything up and Kellyn can't even cover her tracks so she clams up.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm really hoping they're goading Wendell to misplay the idol. :ohdear:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus WHAT

ayyyyy lmao

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Oh poo poo, really?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:tinfoil: thought: maybe Donathon said that becausr he wanted to vote Chelsea vut also flush Wendell's idol.

Oh drat...Wendell with the stone cold idol hold

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The stones on that man

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Okay I was gonna defend Laurel before that vote but how did she not just take the shot

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And now Chelsea gets more airtime on one YouTube clip than she did all season.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just massive lols at every decision, week after week

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Okay I was gonna defend Laurel before that vote but how did she not just take the shot

Honestly, she didn't need too just yet. Laurel and Donathan are still theoretically just as powerful as Dom/Wendall. Just gotta collect up the random Survivors not in the pairs.

If you have two pairs with 8 left, it's not the best strategy for 1 pair to try to split up the other. As after that it will be 5v2 to split up your pair.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I can work with people I trust and lose, or work with people I don't trust. I choose the option where I know I lose!

Sebastian seemingly being a non-entity that's with Dom and Wendell no matter what, plus the idols, means time is really really winding down to make a move. Still time though I guess!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Laurel and Donathan have a final 4 with Dom and Wendell. Going with that probably makes more sense than being on the bottom of the Naviti girl alliance. Plus with Dom and Wendell around they’ll always be seen as the lesser targets

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, she didn't need too just yet. Laurel and Donathan are still theoretically just as powerful as Dom/Wendall. Just gotta collect up the random Survivors not in the pairs.

theoretically they are, but both Dom and Wendell still have idols. they know Wendell has one, they don't know Dom does. in reality, i can't see this working out for anybody except Dom and Wendell.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Iirc Dom showed them his premerge. Also if you go to the F4 with both Wendell and Dom, one of them makes ftc, and you lose lose lose. They NEED to flip next vote.

Dom and Wendell aren't a pair like the other pairs because they have Seb, two idols, and a massive FTC edge on everyone else. Oh and they're the two biggest immunity threats. Next vote is the last possible chance for there to be numbers against them but that means they know they need to bring idols out if anything smells slightly fishy and even a 4-3 edge requires Laurel to actually make a move.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

The Bloop posted:

The stones on that man

I thought Wendell didn't play his idol simply because it was too massive to drag to tribal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Bloop posted:

The stones on that man
I was certain he was going to play it, as Donathan did last week. Genuinely kind of shocked over here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fedelm posted:

I thought Wendell didn't play his idol simply because it was too massive to drag to tribal.

He dragged his massive balls there instead

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Dom and Laurel were trying to burn the HII’s and then team with Kellyn and Angela but who knows.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

The Bloop posted:

He dragged his massive balls there instead

Exactly, they seem to have worked well enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Wendell figured out that Don was laying it on so thick that it had to be an idol bait

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Laurel is getting 5th or 4th place with Kellyn but 3rd place with Wendell/Dom. Laurel would be too hot for Kellyn to bring to the finals if they managed to get Wendell and Dom out.

I think her and Don's best play right now is alternating sides each vote until it's just them and Angela or Sea Bass. That being said, my money is all on Wendell winning the season. (later edit: said this before I heard Fishbach say it on RHAP)

I knew when we got a confessional from Chelsea that she was the one tonight. Was that her first one since the merge?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 10, 2018

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zesty posted:

I think her and Don's best play right now is alternating sides each vote until it's just them and Angela or Sea Bass.
Something like that. Flipping tonight to be at best 4 of 5 was no good. Flipping next week can leave her and Donathan as the second pair in an alliance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah as soon as Chelsea got a confessional I knew it was over.

Laurel feels like a very 'safe' player. She always takes the secure route... which is fine for survival, but at this point, she has nothing to show to the jury.

I'm expecting Sebastian to go next week just because I don't see Dom/Wendell going before the finale and I can't see a reason to take out Angela, the only other target with no screen time. Unless she gets idoled out, but why would you idol out Angela when you can oust Kellyn instead?

Zesty posted:

I knew when we got a confessional from Chelsea that she was the one tonight. Was that her first one since the merge?

Yup. Four confessionals across eleven hours. I don't know if that's better or worse than JP last season.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yup. Four confessionals across eleven hours. I don't know if that's better or worse than JP last season.

JP got five, i think. chelsea's is a new record low.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Before this episode started I assumed it would be Kellyn. I see no reason why it wouldn't be Kellyn next week.

Zesty posted:

Pony: Wendell
Poison: Domenick

Even though I've warmed up to Domenick as a person, I would find it very satisfying if they both made it to final three and then Wendell ended up winning.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point, the only question is which of Domenick or Wendell is going to walk this thing into home plate for a ridiculously easy victory. Tom in Palau faced more opposition than these guys did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

Before this episode started I assumed it would be Kellyn. I see no reason why it wouldn't be Kellyn next week.

I could see Kellyn surviving because having both Angela and Seabass going into the finale leaves you with only 2/3rds of the remaining cast to care about.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Laurel can look at this episode's vote as the moment she lost the game.

Spergatory posted:

At this point, the only question is which of Domenick or Wendell is going to walk this thing into home plate for a ridiculously easy victory. Tom in Palau faced more opposition than these guys did.

While Dom and Don are battling it out in the fire-making challenge Wendell will use the time to make a very comfortable sofa for the jury to sit on at FTC, ensuring his victory.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 10, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

While Dom and Don are battling it out in the fire-making challenge Wendell will use the time to make a very comfortable sofa for the jury to sit on at FTC, ensuring his victory.

If it's an endurance immunity challenge between Dom/Don/Wendell/Laurel I think Dom takes that win.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think Laurel and Donathan are trying to do the platonic flipper strategy, where it doesn't make sense to flip at 5v3 (and then be a minority in the 5) when you could flip at 4v3 instead (with the boys and the two remaining girls being at each others' throats), but idols really gently caress with those numbers.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I think the odd numbers going into next week are the time to take a shot at Wendell and Dom. You still have enough votes there to theoretically split the votes and hit both guys, which might be enough to force them to play their idols. Even if Laurel and Donathan don't actually join in, the fear of that scenario might be enough to trigger it. And even if Wendell and Dom fear that happening, they still probably wouldn't put their votes on Laurel or Donathan. So L/D would probably be good either way they go. They join in, flush the idols and Kellyn or Angela goes home or they don't join in, the idols still get flushed and K/A still go home. They leave the tribal still "allied" to W/D, but that duo is now vulnerable going into the following tribal.

My only wonder is how the fake idol will come into play. Surely that has to be Chekhov's idol at this point. They're not going to show Dom finding it and never have it come into play. They always edit those out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teek posted:

My only wonder is how the fake idol will come into play. Surely that has to be Chekhov's idol at this point. They're not going to show Dom finding it and never have it come into play. They always edit those out.

Jeff said that next game someone makes a million dollar mistake so that could be it! Or it could be nothing at all since someone is going home and that statement is vague as gently caress

I would really love a great moment with that thing, though.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The ramifications of that vote were really interesting. Overall I do think Laurel and Don made the wrong call. There's no real reason to not take a shot at Wendell there, especially when they're guaranteed not to be getting any blowback that night.

Yes, they were right to operate under the assumption that Wendell would play his idol (massive kudos to him for not), but even if he does and Chelsea goes home, it still works somewhat in their favor as it gets rid of a potential Lady Naviti majority alliance. It also doesn't necessarily follow that the Dom/Wendell + Laurel/Don partnership is shot. The chances of the former working with Angela/Kellyn is so remote at that point that they would still need the latter's vote to take them out.

So in effect, Laurel and Don would likely once again be the swing votes even after damaging that trust. The same is also true even if Wendell does go home. They would essentially be able to ping-pong between taking out Wendell/Dom and chipping away at the Naviti women.

Their only real chance next week now is to recruit Sebastian for a 3-2 vote split and hope knowledge of Dom/Wendell's idols doesn't surface and thus spook everybody out of the plan.

Another interesting thing this episode: no votes on Kellyn! Is it possible that the rest of the cast has pegged her as a goat, finding her as insufferable and petulant as the rest of us? She really is terrible.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What did Kellyn call Wendell after the reward challenge? It was like "homewrecker" or something super over the top like that.

Speaking of Ghost Island I feel like this was the most interesting use of it in a while. No drawing for rocks! People not only made decisions, but controversial and interesting ones! There were ramifications!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Don was trying to flush the idol but not actually vote for Wendell, which if so was a pro move only topped by Wendell's own read of the situation

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Raxivace posted:

People not only made decisions, but controversial and interesting ones! There were ramifications!

The only ramification of Ghost Island this round was unnecessary butthurt from Kellyn. It was a nothing advantage. The exact same out-immediately out again situation happened to Malcolm, which shows that this is a skill-based challenge. Getting another shot doesn't make you any more able to balance the ball or maintain pressure. If anything, the advantage should have been one level fewer of pole segments, but ah well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There really wasn't any sort of ramifications for Wendell going to Ghost Island. All the ramifications from the episode revolved around the 4 boys going on reward and leaving the 4 girls behind. Like nobody was upset after that that Wendell had gone to Ghost Island and the advantage was a joke anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Raxivace posted:

What did Kellyn call Wendell after the reward challenge? It was like "homewrecker" or something super over the top like that.

Speaking of Ghost Island I feel like this was the most interesting use of it in a while. No drawing for rocks! People not only made decisions, but controversial and interesting ones! There were ramifications!

Kellyn seems really unable to grasp that everyone else has agency and doesn’t just move when she hints to move.

• Locked thread