Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah that seems fine to me. clear about why their offer sucks without straight up saying hey, your offer sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
OTOH why the kabuki play? You go through ALL this effort to make it clear your company is doing well, and I'm smart, then try to see if I'm an idiot just in case?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

most engineers are idiots when it comes to anything outside of whatever t is they do. that includes negotiating

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I think they've already suffered enough from failing to hire you. No need to rub it in.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Doom Mathematic posted:

I think they've already suffered enough from failing to hire you. No need to rub it in.

Dude no need to burn me too :(

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

got a positive response from an interview last week so I’m hoping to hear some figgies soon. a little worried they won’t be enough to make the move worthwhile, but they seemed to really like me so I’m hopeful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just say that after careful consideration you have chosen to accept a competing offer and thank them for their time.

They really don't give a poo poo whether or not you totally had the last laugh or not and they're a bunch of assholes so they aren't worth your mental energy.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just tell them that you received a significantly higher offer from another place, thank them for their time, and leave it at that. No need to sound indignant about it, they'll probably just end up thinking they made a correct decision.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also, you are not rescinding their offer, you are declining it

rescinding is if they gave you an offer and then took it back themselves

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

rescinding is if they gave you an offer and then took it back themselves

can confirm
source: personal experience :smithicide:

edit: also an hour or so after facebook sent me some interview prep materials i got locked out of my facebook account and can't access any of it because of course facebook would use a tracking url that requires a facebook account to click. thanks zuck

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

Just say that after careful consideration you have chosen to accept a competing offer and thank them for their time.

qhat posted:

Just tell them that you received a significantly higher offer from another place, thank them for their time, and leave it at that. No need to sound indignant about it, they'll probably just end up thinking they made a correct decision.

good advice in these posts

never be an rear end in a top hat to anyone in the interview process. it will never make you feel better, and it can only hurt you in the future.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Leck posted:

got a positive response from an interview last week so I’m hoping to hear some figgies soon. a little worried they won’t be enough to make the move worthwhile, but they seemed to really like me so I’m hopeful

if the offer is good enough to consider, but not quite good enough to move, that's a discussion worth having

like, can they bump the offer?
is a relocation package in order? etc

what's bad is when you get an offer that's just way out of the ballpark :(

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The job I did go with said I started today in the past at 9 am. I think they might want to change their wording.

LOL

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
As long as the check ships, a retroactive start time is great.

Seriously I hope our HR doesn't pull these sorts of stunts. Specifically the "withholding benefits" crap- how could you even consider an offer?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

Agreed, indignant is never a good look. It's also kind of a lovely feeling, I recommend avoiding it entirely.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

That's lowball for Canada

Maybe in Toronto. 105k for a senior position sounds pretty typical for vancouver (although maybe Amazon will start to change that)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm taking a ~10k pay cut to leave vancouver but my cost of living is going to drop by way more, i think i won?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

jony neuemonic posted:

i'm taking a ~10k pay cut to leave vancouver but my cost of living is going to drop by way more, i think i won?

Bust out a spreadsheet and make sure.

Also where to?

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 10, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

just wanted to say the job i accepted a couple months ago is pretty kickass and I am happy there and yet I am still terrified of losing it somehow

how do I make that anxiety go away

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Your best bet is probably therapy

Also same

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Space Whale posted:

Bust out a spreadsheet and make sure.

Also where to?

back to the maritimes. significantly more affordable.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DuckConference posted:

Maybe in Toronto. 105k for a senior position sounds pretty typical for vancouver (although maybe Amazon will start to change that)

110-120k for Amazon is standard for SDE 2. If you're senior you're looking at 150+.

Source: my friend who works at Amazon Vancouver.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

bofa DEEEEZ NUTTTTZ

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

qhat posted:

110-120k for Amazon is standard for SDE 2. If you're senior you're looking at 150+.

Source: my friend who works at Amazon Vancouver.

are these in dollars or "dollars"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cheque_some posted:

amazon gift cards

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cheque_some posted:

Fake dollars

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the CoderPad thing ended up being less pair programming and more "here is a question do it"
also had a pretty bad bug in the code that i didn't catch until i tried to run the code later, and i got pretty much 0 feedback from the interviewer except "how else can you do this???" which i was able to answer at least
on the plus side my code run just fine after fixing the above bug so :shrug:

overall 5/10 on the "probably getting rejected by the end of day" scale

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

back to the maritimes. significantly more affordable.

giving up $10k to shave $20k off your housing sounds like a pretty good deal

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

giving up $10k to shave $20k off your housing sounds like a pretty good deal

if we get the place we're eyeing it'll be a wash financially, but we'll get a good quality of life bump. i'm still pleased with it.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Its crazy how cost of living just doesnt scale. What kind of data scientist roles pay 300k in San Francisco?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Also from those who have interviewed in the past: assuming it matters, what kind of personal website is efficient? I've seen some very nice, small sites that simply link out to github, linkedin etc. Also personal blogs overfllowing with posts on various matters or larger projects. Any thoughts?

I'm lazy if it matters.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i have a personal website that links to a few projects/github and the number of times anyone has mentioned looking at it is one (1) time

i wouldn't put too much thought into it unless you really like blogging about poo poo
edit: i mean this could also mean it really sucks but i think its more that the people interviewing you are barely going to see your resume before they talk to you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kudaros posted:

Its crazy how cost of living just doesnt scale. What kind of data scientist roles pay 300k in San Francisco?

all of them, if you have a relevant phD

none of them, if you are just a 20-something with prior "data science" experience -- people know that just means ETL

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

give it a few years. i bet you those salaries drop off sharply when everyone realises you don't need a phd to do machine learning.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

give it a few years. i bet you those salaries drop off sharply when everyone realises you don't need a phd to do machine learning.

maybe as it becomes a more normal part of academic curricula and industry practice

the main problem right now is that to be the least bit effective in ML you need a non-trivial knowledge of statistics. like, more than just "statistics for english majors" that every american c.s. program requires

if you are a statistical illiterate then none of the field literature is meaningful or useful, and then you are just another loving ETL jockey

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My coworker allegedly asked Andrew Ng himself whether it was worth continuing past his masters to do a PhD for a hot salary in data science, and the answer was allegedly a resounding no loving way. Apparently every shitlord with a master's degree is taking note of these multiple six figured salaries and embarking on a five year waste of time thinking they're going to be hot poo poo when they graduate. Trouble is in five years those salaries won't be going to newly made PhDs anymore, but rather people with experience and, also, actual engineers i.e not worthless academics.

qhat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 11, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

My coworker allegedly asked Andrew Ng himself whether it was worth continuing past his masters to do a PhD for a hot salary in data science, and the answer was allegedly a resounding no loving way. Apparently every shitlord with a master's degree is taking note of these multiple six figured salaries and embarking on a five year waste of time thinking they're going to be hot poo poo when they graduate. Trouble is in five years those salaries won't be going to newly made PhDs anymore, but rather people with experience and, also, actual engineers i.e not worthless academics.

The answer to "should i get a phd" should always be "not unless you a) get paid a salary to do it and b) loving love live and breathe being an academic researcher".

also i personally feel the best data scientist background in an optimal world would be a stats / cs double major with a year or two of experience in sql and python. On the other hand I'm a scientist & engineer in data science so :shrug:

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I already got the PhD, which is ML relevant. I've got my eye on waiting around for a tenure track at my preferred university or my backup plan of retiring at ~45 or less. There's also some national labs with positions that use ML as a tool for difficult problems I'm interested in. I am employed now though. I have not seen very many jobs with that kind of salary on offer up front. I'd like to move somewhere for a little while and come back but between this high salary, low cost of living, and strong social support network its real tough to justify.

The sense I get is that any move to NYC or SF would be a severe loss in income. Or to Gitlab and buffer anywhere (lol).

Maybe I just don't know the right people or how to look. Are glassdoor estimates *that* much of a lowball?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kudaros posted:

I already got the PhD, which is ML relevant. I've got my eye on waiting around for a tenure track at my preferred university or my backup plan of retiring at ~45 or less. There's also some national labs with positions that use ML as a tool for difficult problems I'm interested in. I am employed now though. I have not seen very many jobs with that kind of salary on offer up front. I'd like to move somewhere for a little while and come back but between this high salary, low cost of living, and strong social support network its real tough to justify.

The sense I get is that any move to NYC or SF would be a severe loss in income. Or to Gitlab and buffer anywhere (lol).

Maybe I just don't know the right people or how to look. Are glassdoor estimates *that* much of a lowball?

Understand that the "average salary" tends to be what someone gets if they're meeting expectations rather than exceeding them. If you are exceptional, you'll get much higher than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

bearing in mind that a dude with an american MS degree is competing with immigrants who completed a US phD because their undergrad was a foreign school, which counts for 0

in either case, a base 4 year undergraduate education is not going to get you a good "data science" job, just glorified etl, unless your degree is in statistics or something

ML is not something you will casually pick up from a MOOC unless you are already conversant in statistics