Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Femtosecond posted:

I was under the impression that you can't move the seats in the Autozam. Maybe you can adjust them but only by removing the seat?

You can't, and I do expect to remove the seat and attach it again further back. The OG seat is long gone so who knows how this one is bolted in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sugoi!

I just wish there was a chance I could fit in one. (6'2", 280, and would be "wide" even without the extra. 215 would be a normal weight for my frame.)
Have fun with that red vinyl. It wouldn't look bad if it was properly applied. I like the carbon fiber bits.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

You can't, and I do expect to remove the seat and attach it again further back. The OG seat is long gone so who knows how this one is bolted in.

They probably drilled some extra holes in the floor and put a nut on the seat bolts.

I wish I could be there when the port worker on the US side tries to drive it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Snowy posted:

I thought it was Autogland!

LOL me too. I think I prefer the idea of a kei car tuning house called Autogland.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Loanarn posted:

Slow boat from Japan? The GTR only took two weeks to ship for me.

P.S. I got the GTR and love it. Looks classic with the repaint and oem spoiler.

I missed this and it is beautiful and I love it. What does it drive like, anyway? I'm imagining a demonic Mustang GT/WRX combo.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Electric Pigeon posted:

I missed this and it is beautiful and I love it. What does it drive like, anyway? I'm imagining a demonic Mustang GT/WRX combo.

TLDR: I loving LOVE MY SKYLINE. It had poo poo tires, it needs some tweaks but makes all the right noises, pulls hard and the steering feel and ride is super direct. I don't yet feel comfortable driving it above 8/10ths in anything but a straight line. I have never driven a WRX or Mustang. I daily a 350z and while this car statistically isn't that much better on paper and is much less comfortable and well appointed and modern its much more fun and a better drivers car. Also everyone flips the gently caress out if they know what it is.

Willing to read too much about a 26 year old Nissan:

The car is mostly stock except for the fact that it doesn't have the boost restrictor, aftermarket intake and exhaust and it has a thing that T's into the AWD system and lets you choose the ratio manually of how much torque is going to the front wheels instead of it being dynamic you can have it set to 60/40 etc.

The car came with 10 year old winter tires that half were mounted backwards and were too small for the wheel. I put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires which are the same tire I run for the 350z I've had for nearly 10 years.

The car pulls harder and is more fun and dynamic than the 350z which is saying something considering its 11 years older and has a 0.9 liter smaller engine. Before I replaced the tires the car was very tail happy when trying to accelerate and turn at the same time. Its much better at turning and braking now.

I am going to have some work done on the car soon including a new oem lip and some interior stuff as well as disabling HICAS (4 Wheel Steering) since it seems to have a weird effect on steering for the more experienced driver. I am also going to have the manual adjustment for the Atessa-ETS system disabled to see how it handles when it can dynamically send torque to the front wheels when it detects it slipping instead of always being 60/40 or whatever you choose on the dial.

The car is amazingly fun to drive for many reasons. One it's super interesting to drive a RHD drive in a LHD country. It's just the right horse power to have a stupid amount of fun without being waaaay to dangerous like with the 600+HP cars. The car feels like you are one with the road as the steering is direct and you feel the whole road.

But the most fun thing about the car is that if you ever wanted to feel what its like to be the level of celebrity as the worlds #4 golfer you should drive a Skyline GTR for a while. Only those who care about cars will recognize what it is but every single time I have driven the car people have tried to stop to talk to me in the middle of driving or at the stop light or at the gas station or I get the honk, wave, thumbs up or nod or all of the above.

I got the plates for the car and was putting them on in the parking lot of my favorite local restaurant after getting some zip ties from them and even without driving it I had two people approach me about the car.

While a Ferrari or Lambo might get a lot of attention from non car people who know that its a status symbol and have inane questions this car is the same but only for 20-40 somethings that drive WRX/STI/BRZ/370z's etc. I have even gotten some suv/truck love from some older folks.

I have only had it for about a week or so and I don't daily drive it because its a famous car from 1992 with absolutely no security features and I work in downtown Portland where even broken down heaps get hosed with. I have monthly parking pass where if the back lots get full and you have to block someone in you have to give your keys to the valet and there is no loving way in hell I am giving the keys over to a RHD manual car to J random parking attendant.

If anyone wants to hang out and chat about import cars in Oregon near the Portland Metro Area let me know. We can meet up at some local car meet if there is a good one that isn't cars and coffee in Wilsonville because gently caress driving to Wilsonville in the morning on a Saturday.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 11, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Loanarn posted:

The car is mostly stock except for the fact that it doesn't have the boost restrictor

A friend has a 32 GTR and his still has that little yellow plastic thing in and it still pulls like a loving train. I imagine it's hilarious fun with full power on offer.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Loanarn posted:

TLDR: I loving LOVE MY SKYLINE. It had poo poo tires, it needs some tweaks but makes all the right noises, pulls hard and the steering feel and ride is super direct. I don't yet feel comfortable driving it above 8/10ths in anything but a straight line. I have never driven a WRX or Mustang. I daily a 350z and while this car statistically isn't that much better on paper and is much less comfortable and well appointed and modern its much more fun and a better drivers car. Also everyone flips the gently caress out if they know what it is.

The car is mostly stock except for the fact that it doesn't have the boost restrictor, aftermarket intake and exhaust and it has a thing that T's into the AWD system and lets you choose the ratio manually of how much torque is going to the front wheels instead of it being dynamic you can have it set to 60/40 etc.

The car came with 10 year old winter tires that half were mounted backwards and were too small for the wheel. I put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires which are the same tire I run for the 350z I've had for nearly 10 years.

The car pulls harder and is more fun and dynamic than the 350z which is saying something considering its 11 years older and has a 0.9 liter smaller engine. Before I replaced the tires the car was very tail happy when trying to accelerate and turn at the same time. Its much better at turning and braking now.

I am going to have some work done on the car soon including a new oem lip and some interior stuff as well as disabling HICAS (4 Wheel Steering) since it seems to have a weird effect on steering for the more experienced driver. I am also going to have the manual adjustment for the Atessa-ETS system disabled to see how it handles when it can dynamically send torque to the front wheels when it detects it slipping instead of always being 60/40 or whatever you choose on the dial.

The car is amazingly fun to drive for many reasons. One it's super interesting to drive a RHD drive in a LHD country. It's just the right horse power to have a stupid amount of fun without being waaaay to dangerous like with the 600+HP cars. The car feels like you are one with the road as the steering is direct and you feel the whole road.

But the most fun thing about the car is that if you ever wanted to feel what its like to be the level of celebrity as the worlds #4 golfer you should drive a Skyline GTR for a while. Only those who care about cars will recognize what it is but every single time I have driven the car people have tried to stop to talk to me in the middle of driving or at the stop light or at the gas station or I get the honk, wave, thumbs up or nod or all of the above.

I got the plates for the car and was putting them on in the parking lot of my favorite local restaurant after getting some zip ties from them and even without driving it I had two people approach me about the car.

While a Ferrari or Lambo might get a lot of attention from non car people who know that its a status symbol and have inane questions this car is the same but only for 20-40 somethings that drive WRX/STI/BRZ/370z's etc. I have even gotten some suv/truck love from some older folks.

I have only had it for about a week or so and I don't daily drive it because its a famous car from 1992 with absolutely no security features and I work in downtown Portland where even broken down heaps get hosed with. I have monthly parking pass where if the back lots get full and you have to block someone in you have to give your keys to the valet and there is no loving way in hell I am giving the keys over to a RHD manual car to J random parking attendant.

If anyone wants to hang out and chat about import cars in Oregon near the Portland Metro Area let me know. We can meet up at some local car meet if there is a good one that isn't cars and coffee in Wilsonville because gently caress driving to Wilsonville in the morning on a Saturday.

Ohhhhh you are the new gtr in PDX. Your car has come up on some of the local channels already. I am in Vancouver. I'll have the 300 back on the road this weekend and we are supposed to have good weather if you wanna cruise around. Also the NW Z car club, and Washington Z car club always do events (that don't feel like C and C dong length contests) and have been very cool to other classic Nissan cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

This sounds identical to what I experience every time I get a car in regards to tires and 'tweaks' needed. Was yours in need of a clean as well? And although I haven't driven anything nearly as high-profile-enthusiast as a GTR I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the Lambos and Ferraris but switch the target to non-car people. If you want attention drive something weird like a kei van. Everyone looks at a Lambo but everyone will talk to you about your kei van. We'll see what the crossover is with the AZ-1. Also no wonder you get your poo poo in like two weeks, you're at the first stops these giant ships make.

:toot:
Picked up this 92 Jimny. Excellent shape, unmodified with the exception of the rear bumper, working AC and power steering. 62000 miles.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Picked up this 92 Jimny. Excellent shape, unmodified with the exception of the rear bumper, working AC and power steering. 62000 miles.

Nice! While I was looking for the Delica I was also looking around for a good Jimny for myself for a few months, but nothing really that great popped up for me. I'm really interested to know how this car is because while Delicas are common here I don't think I've ever seen a Jimny on the street and I don't know nearly as much about them.

I'm still keeping an eye out for Jimnys. Given that Vancouver BC now has the most expensive gas on the continent at C$1.60L, it could be well worth ditching the YJ for a Jimny if only for fuel economy reasons.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend has a 32 GTR and his still has that little yellow plastic thing in and it still pulls like a loving train. I imagine it's hilarious fun with full power on offer.

The car makes me smile just thinking about it. The pull is too much fun and the sound the blow off valve makes is :madmax: :fh:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Ohhhhh you are the new gtr in PDX. Your car has come up on some of the local channels already. I am in Vancouver. I'll have the 300 back on the road this weekend and we are supposed to have good weather if you wanna cruise around. Also the NW Z car club, and Washington Z car club always do events (that don't feel like C and C dong length contests) and have been very cool to other classic Nissan cars.

I have mostly been tooling around in Beaverton, Hillsboro, Aloha and Scappoose so if you saw it in Portland proper it wasn't me. Sure lets do something on Saturday?

KakerMix posted:

This sounds identical to what I experience every time I get a car in regards to tires and 'tweaks' needed. Was yours in need of a clean as well? And although I haven't driven anything nearly as high-profile-enthusiast as a GTR I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the Lambos and Ferraris but switch the target to non-car people. If you want attention drive something weird like a kei van. Everyone looks at a Lambo but everyone will talk to you about your kei van. We'll see what the crossover is with the AZ-1. Also no wonder you get your poo poo in like two weeks, you're at the first stops these giant ships make.

The car was imported by a guy in Vancouver who does it professionally called MSP Imports. He detailed the car on the inside and I knew the car needed a repaint so I opted to have his local hookup repaint the car so it was clean on the outside too. It has some awful and cheap looking tinting with tons of bubbles on the rear window and the blind spot windows which I hate but I don't have a good adhesive remover yet to remove.

The car is that it came with a cheap aftermarket stereo head unit straight out of 1992 and the speakers in the car are old, blow out and suck. I'm not even sure if the front door speakers work or not. It's one of those units that you press a button and the face plate lifts up and spits out the CD. It came with one free CD. It was labeled Ultra Blue in English at the top of the CD and had Japanese I can't read at the bottom. I don't own any CD's anymore nor do I have a blank CD to burn so for the first 3-4 days of driving the car I was stuck listening to this J-Pop CD's 13 tracks over and over as the radio bands are really small compared to the USA bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjio2Yrim4w

I was pretty sure after listening to this album about a dozen times that the second track listed above was probably her big hit off the album considering how much of an ear worm it is after you listen to it a few times. I laughed hysterically when I realized that someone in Japan was driving around listening to this kind of music in a GTR. It was a purely Japanese touch that really entertained me until I couldn't stand it anymore. After that I met with a friend who still had some CD's from the 90's and got some listenable if dated music to listen to.

Needless to say I got a quote for a new sound system, security system, keyless entry etc and to do it the way I want is gonna be $4500. I get a $5k bonus in two and a half months that I hoped to spend on refurbing the wheels, fixing the interior, powder coating the valve covers and getting a sound system but my expectations on the price of a whole sound system installed were unrealistically low. It's gonna be a long 2.5 months until its installed but until then I have the best soundtrack on the road: The RB26DETT by Nissan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Anyone who was still driving a '92 Skyline in modern-day Japan probably thinks Utada Hikaru is still a nonstop chart-topping hitmaker.

Do you know what city it originally came from before going to auction?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

The car makes me smile just thinking about it. The pull is too much fun and the sound the blow off valve makes is :madmax: :fh:

I have mostly been tooling around in Beaverton, Hillsboro, Aloha and Scappoose so if you saw it in Portland proper it wasn't me. Sure lets do something on Saturday?

The car was imported by a guy in Vancouver who does it professionally called MSP Imports. He detailed the car on the inside and I knew the car needed a repaint so I opted to have his local hookup repaint the car so it was clean on the outside too. It has some awful and cheap looking tinting with tons of bubbles on the rear window and the blind spot windows which I hate but I don't have a good adhesive remover yet to remove.

The car is that it came with a cheap aftermarket stereo head unit straight out of 1992 and the speakers in the car are old, blow out and suck. I'm not even sure if the front door speakers work or not. It's one of those units that you press a button and the face plate lifts up and spits out the CD. It came with one free CD. It was labeled Ultra Blue in English at the top of the CD and had Japanese I can't read at the bottom. I don't own any CD's anymore nor do I have a blank CD to burn so for the first 3-4 days of driving the car I was stuck listening to this J-Pop CD's 13 tracks over and over as the radio bands are really small compared to the USA bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjio2Yrim4w

I was pretty sure after listening to this album about a dozen times that the second track listed above was probably her big hit off the album considering how much of an ear worm it is after you listen to it a few times. I laughed hysterically when I realized that someone in Japan was driving around listening to this kind of music in a GTR. It was a purely Japanese touch that really entertained me until I couldn't stand it anymore. After that I met with a friend who still had some CD's from the 90's and got some listenable if dated music to listen to.

Needless to say I got a quote for a new sound system, security system, keyless entry etc and to do it the way I want is gonna be $4500. I get a $5k bonus in two and a half months that I hoped to spend on refurbing the wheels, fixing the interior, powder coating the valve covers and getting a sound system but my expectations on the price of a whole sound system installed were unrealistically low. It's gonna be a long 2.5 months until its installed but until then I have the best soundtrack on the road: The RB26DETT by Nissan.

Ah yeah if you went through an importer then I'd expect it to be clean and tidy when you'd get it. Normally they are just dirty as I've posted before. I'd assume Land Cruisers are probably much dirtier just considering the stereotype. As for music I too got a CD in my J70 but the CD was just white with a sort of logo-design thing on it, no actual words or characters. The music sounds like the Japanese equivalent to what we'd assume a redneck would listen to here, kind of like old-fashioned country music, but Japanese.

Femtosecond posted:

Nice! While I was looking for the Delica I was also looking around for a good Jimny for myself for a few months, but nothing really that great popped up for me. I'm really interested to know how this car is because while Delicas are common here I don't think I've ever seen a Jimny on the street and I don't know nearly as much about them.

I'm still keeping an eye out for Jimnys. Given that Vancouver BC now has the most expensive gas on the continent at C$1.60L, it could be well worth ditching the YJ for a Jimny if only for fuel economy reasons.

I'm curious to see what it's like as well, all the benefits of a Jeep but in a tiny fuel-sipping package. I do know our Samurai is the Jimny Sierra in Japan so I'd have to assume people would recognize it in that way and the experience should be similar, just with a turbocharged, intercooled, 660cc engine! I've also been looking for months for a good Jimny, I was hoping for a convertible one but those are even rarer. A good, clean, low mileage stock condition one that doesn't have some sort of catastrophic flaw is super fuckin' rare.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Loanarn posted:

You were on spotted NW, so I don't know where the pic was taken. Also i think you are 1 of 2 of that dark grey, the other one has a spoiler less trunk. Sending PM about a drive.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

You were on spotted NW, so I don't know where the pic was taken. Also i think you are 1 of 2 of that dark grey, the other one has a spoiler less trunk. Sending PM about a drive.

What is this Spotted NW you speak of?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The AZ-1 and the Jimny I bought share engines. Huh.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KakerMix posted:

Hell loving yeah I'm super stoked. Less so about the goofy racing seat (I like stuff like that OEM) and not at all looking forward to peeling away all that interior red wrap stuff, and the less noticeable carbon fiber. I do see though that it's been souped up a bit, it's wearing some upsized tires, after market intake, the Mazdaspeed muffler along with the hood. Hoping that they also went through the trouble of putting on the Mazdaspeed suspension for it too, but I guess we'll see when it gets here. It looks way better than I was expecting. That 'Autogiano' turns out to be some sort of Japanese parts tuning place for AZ-1s?

http://www.autogiano.com

goddamn i cannot wait to graduate and get one of these a year later (and then get extremely killed by a drunk driver in a bro lifted coal rolling dodge ram)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KakerMix posted:

The AZ-1 and the Jimny I bought share engines. Huh.

Well that just sounds inconvenient, how long does it take to swap from one to the other? :colbert:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Someone convince me to import a RHD FD...

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

the spyder posted:

Someone convince me to import a RHD FD...

Talking you out:
FD's are great but why RHD? There are only a couple model years you can buy because of the 25 year rule so you will find most of the FD's can't be imported yet and the ones that can will command more. I enjoy driving my R32 GTR but if I had the option to get a LHD version I would have.

Talking you in:
It will probably be cheaper than a LHD USA example. If unless its a highly modded FD like below it will probably have few miles, be in better condition and be all around less thrashed and more well maintained than a USA example.

I think it has so many tacky looking race mods that it has come all the way back around from gaudy to so awful its amazing. It sold for $11,890 and has a buttload of mods that I can only suspect on what they are based on the English parts of the description in the auction sheet.

I think I need more Japanese sports cars. Wait I just convinced myself I want a RHD FD.....

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You should visit my thread...

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

the spyder posted:

You should visit my thread...

I just did. Lots of drool from just reading the front page. Another AI Oregoon? Feel like riding with a 300ZX and an R32 tomorrow with one of your magic dorito powered vehicles? I've never seen a FD in person before.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Loanarn posted:

It's just the right horse power to have a stupid amount of fun without being waaaay to dangerous like with the 600+HP cars. The car feels like you are one with the road as the steering is direct and you feel the whole road.

YES! It's a little anxious hoping to like something you already paid for, and realizing that you're going to get along with it is surprisingly delightful, as feelings go.
Awesome that it is so fun! That sounds better than I'd have expected. You're dead on about these old things being so immersive, connected, etc. I remember why I used to like old cars now. I don't know what you can get new that makes driving so consuming. A Lotus maybe, at umpteen times the price?
Keep impressing all them BRZs!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Loanarn posted:

I just did. Lots of drool from just reading the front page. Another AI Oregoon? Feel like riding with a 300ZX and an R32 tomorrow with one of your magic dorito powered vehicles? I've never seen a FD in person before.

*Edit lol read your post.
I will be at Portland Cars and Coffee @ The World of Speed tomorrow morning (8-10ish). I've got a full day otherwise- but I should have my white FD there.

Side note- I also work in downtown and refuse to drive my FD here.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 11, 2018

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Anyone who was still driving a '92 Skyline in modern-day Japan probably thinks Utada Hikaru is still a nonstop chart-topping hitmaker.

Do you know what city it originally came from before going to auction?

Yokohama. Whatever that means. What's the USA equivalent?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well that just sounds inconvenient, how long does it take to swap from one to the other? :colbert:

:v:

They both have the Suzuki F6A mounted in them which is rad. I wonder how similar they are in each, they are at least mounted differently.

Loanarn posted:

Talking you out:
FD's are great but why RHD? There are only a couple model years you can buy because of the 25 year rule so you will find most of the FD's can't be imported yet and the ones that can will command more. I enjoy driving my R32 GTR but if I had the option to get a LHD version I would have.

Talking you in:
It will probably be cheaper than a LHD USA example. If unless its a highly modded FD like below it will probably have few miles, be in better condition and be all around less thrashed and more well maintained than a USA example.

I think it has so many tacky looking race mods that it has come all the way back around from gaudy to so awful its amazing. It sold for $11,890 and has a buttload of mods that I can only suspect on what they are based on the English parts of the description in the auction sheet.

I think I need more Japanese sports cars. Wait I just convinced myself I want a RHD FD.....

To add to this, these cars would be way better with the steering wheels on the left. That's a straight-up not-benefit under any category unless you are wanting one for postal work. It's just that the wheel being on the right side isn't a big deal.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 12, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Loanarn posted:

Yokohama. Whatever that means. What's the USA equivalent?

It's pretty big, it's hard to say what an equivalent would be. If I had to stretch, I'd say it's like the Los Angeles to Tokyo's New York, maybe. Huge port city, lots of big companies (e.g. Nissan). Hot, humid as gently caress.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

:v:

They both have the Suzuki F6A mounted in them which is rad. I wonder how similar they are in each, they are at least mounted differently.

To add to this, these cars would be way better with the steering wheels on the left. That's a straight-up not-benefit under any category unless you are wanting one for postal work. It's just that the wheel being on the right side isn't a big deal.

The f6a is also in the kei trucks, kei vans, and artic cat 660 snowmobiles , some other things it showed up in some side by side, it also shares parts with Suzuki Swift and older Geo metros. A ton of the common maintenance stuff and some additional parts can be found at ur local parts store. I can send the part number guides to anyone who wants/has an f6a

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hot, humid as gently caress.

I thought all Japan is in the summer. Yikes.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

iirc the Jimny F6A is a single cam while the AZ1 has a DOHC, same as the cappuccino with some minor differences. Like it has a lighter crank pulley that all the Capo owners tend to put on their motors.

Speaking of Capos mine should be shipping out in a couple days! :coolspot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

It's not that bad, but i live in Florida so YMMV.

I thought the climate was perfect honestly, all the seasons with no extremes. The rainy season kinda sucks though, it rained for a month straight once while I was there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For you F6A guys, I use Bosch P2058 oil filters (full part number 0 986 452 058). They appear to be available on Amazon in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Filter-CHEVROLET-SUBARU-DAIHATSU-0-7-1-6/dp/B004ZK2BL2

I found the same filter fits the JB-JL in my Daihatsu.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Not Japan, buuut:

I live in Australia, probably headed back to the US (Colorado) in a couple years to do a stint there for family reasons. I've been driving a beater 90's Starlet while my funds recover from self-funding grad school... original plan was to upgrade when it finally does blow up (I can get by without a car if needed), but I'm beginning to realise this stubborn little thing may keep running indefinitely, so I've been low key shopping lately.

I was kicking around the idea of buying something worth bringing back with me - it'd be fun to have a 'cool' car when I go back, plus I've got the unique opportunity to get to know it well before I go through the hassle of importing it. Practicality as a daily isn't as big a deal here as between public transport and bicycle/motorbike I have plenty of transport options, and my partner and I are seriously contemplating a 1-3 month trip around Australia before we go back. Odds are I would sell it in the US before returning to Australia a few years later. Certainly not expecting to turn a profit, but I'd like to recoup as much as I could.

I'd probably be looking for a 4WD, though that's not essential, mostly looking for something big-ish we could do an extended roadtrip out of. I do have a huge soft spot for Delicas (it'd be one of the older boxy ones), or maybe just something more 'normal' like a Hilux Surf. Have also considered a Landrover Defender as I've got a bit of a crush on them as well, and I've seen a few 25+ year ones around, though they are a bit more expensive and I'm guessing less reliable and harder to get parts for.

If you guys had any other suggestions I'd be open to them - not as into 'cars' per se, and would like something big enough to camp out of (and inside, if needed). We do have kei vans with bigger engines, but they're not terribly common and I think from a cost/utility perspective I'd probably give them a miss. If I was going to do just the big Australia trip and not bring it back to the US, I'd probably go with something like a HiAce and sell it when I leave. Something about a regular Hiace (not one of the fancy deluxe 4WD models) just feels weird about going through the bother of importing it.

I'm also not super wild about having something where the parts are made of unobtanium... I had sort of the opposite issue in Japan when my XLR250 Baja broke down - so many had been exported grey market to Southeast Asia that getting spares for the Baja specific parts was practically impossible (naturally, those were the ones that failed). It was frustrating, to say the least. Obviously, importing a weird vehicle into the US there's always going to be some fiddliness with getting parts, I'm just looking to stay more on the 'easy to moderate hassle' end of the spectrum, if that's even possible.

A few questions:

I haven't looked into how the Colorado DMV deals with overseas cars, but how much headache might I be looking at logistically getting this thing from a port (guessing LA) to CO?

How many Montero parts are interchangable with the Delica? Obviously not the bodywork, but have read conflicting things about how much of the running gear is compatible.

If I was looking to maximise resale value, are there any other makes/models to look at? I'm not fully certain what my max budget is like, maybe around US$5k right now, though I could certainly wait and save up a bit more.

Charles posted:

Hokkaido's pretty nice in summer, a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts like to head up there then.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not that bad, but i live in Florida so YMMV.

From FL originally so :same:, although none of my schools had AC in the classroom and they wouldn't turn it on in the teacher's room until it got up to like 88F so it could still be pretty gross.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 13, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm obviously going to approve of getting a Land Rover, but yes, realistically they're going to be harder to get parts for in the US and not as reliable as the Japanese options (though they genuinely aren't as bad as the jokes about it would suggest).

I think a turbo diesel Land Cruiser is going to be a good shout, and if you're buying one in Aus and then touring Aus in it, Ferremit probably has a poo poo load of good advice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Get a clean 1st or 2nd gen Hilux Surf with any engine other than a 3VZE. You'll have parts availability, reasonably strong aftermarket for what you can't find oem, reliability, and probably an example of the vehicle someone will be willing to pay a hefty premium stateside for when you're done with it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 13, 2018

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
My vote is for a Toyota Land Cruiser Troop carrier. Parts are easy to source, vehicle is easy to work on, and that variant is desirable over here.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not Japan, buuut:

I live in Australia, probably headed back to the US (Colorado) in a couple years to do a stint there for family reasons. I've been driving a beater 90's Starlet while my funds recover from self-funding grad school... original plan was to upgrade when it finally does blow up (I can get by without a car if needed), but I'm beginning to realise this stubborn little thing may keep running indefinitely, so I've been low key shopping lately.

I was kicking around the idea of buying something worth bringing back with me - it'd be fun to have a 'cool' car when I go back, plus I've got the unique opportunity to get to know it well before I go through the hassle of importing it. Practicality as a daily isn't as big a deal here as between public transport and bicycle/motorbike I have plenty of transport options, and my partner and I are seriously contemplating a 1-3 month trip around Australia before we go back. Odds are I would sell it in the US before returning to Australia a few years later. Certainly not expecting to turn a profit, but I'd like to recoup as much as I could.

I'd probably be looking for a 4WD, though that's not essential, mostly looking for something big-ish we could do an extended roadtrip out of. I do have a huge soft spot for Delicas (it'd be one of the older boxy ones), or maybe just something more 'normal' like a Hilux Surf. Have also considered a Landrover Defender as I've got a bit of a crush on them as well, and I've seen a few 25+ year ones around, though they are a bit more expensive and I'm guessing less reliable and harder to get parts for.

If you guys had any other suggestions I'd be open to them - not as into 'cars' per se, and would like something big enough to camp out of (and inside, if needed). We do have kei vans with bigger engines, but they're not terribly common and I think from a cost/utility perspective I'd probably give them a miss. If I was going to do just the big Australia trip and not bring it back to the US, I'd probably go with something like a HiAce and sell it when I leave. Something about a regular Hiace (not one of the fancy deluxe 4WD models) just feels weird about going through the bother of importing it.

I'm also not super wild about having something where the parts are made of unobtanium... I had sort of the opposite issue in Japan when my XLR250 Baja broke down - so many had been exported grey market to Southeast Asia that getting spares for the Baja specific parts was practically impossible (naturally, those were the ones that failed). It was frustrating, to say the least. Obviously, importing a weird vehicle into the US there's always going to be some fiddliness with getting parts, I'm just looking to stay more on the 'easy to moderate hassle' end of the spectrum, if that's even possible.

A few questions:

I haven't looked into how the Colorado DMV deals with overseas cars, but how much headache might I be looking at logistically getting this thing from a port (guessing LA) to CO?

How many Montero parts are interchangable with the Delica? Obviously not the bodywork, but have read conflicting things about how much of the running gear is compatible.

If I was looking to maximise resale value, are there any other makes/models to look at? I'm not fully certain what my max budget is like, maybe around US$5k right now, though I could certainly wait and save up a bit more.

Hokkaido's pretty nice in summer, a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts like to head up there then.

From FL originally so :same:, although none of my schools had AC in the classroom and they wouldn't turn it on in the teacher's room until it got up to like 88F so it could still be pretty gross.

The Toyota tax in Colorado is insanely high, so anything with a Toyota badge will fetch big money when you go sell it. I would bring over the nicest 70 series you can find.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not Japan, buuut:

A few questions:

For legality of getting from LA to CO I'd have to assume you'd have an international plate/registration/license thing for your vehicle to make it legal for driving over here. That's something I know nothing about but I do know it is a thing because US citizens bitch about how people from other countries can bring in cool vehicles to drive here. Being that you're interested in selling it though complicates things because I don't know of a way to change from your vehicle as a dirty foreigner to US legal vehicle. The process normally is the vehicle gets brought to the state you want to register it in, legalize it with their state-rules, then you can drive it around. Being that California has CARB (and would require residence of some kind probably) you'd not be able to easily register it in California for legality to then drive to Colorado properly. You could if you had Colorado plates ready to go but Colorado needs to see the vehicle first, meaning it has to be there which makes a road trip from LA to CO pointless if you have to start in CO in the first place with the vehicle.
Either a 4x4 van of some kind (diesel HiAce or Delica) would be ideal for the flannel-wearing, bearded #vanlife crowd while satisfying your big enough to camp in for yourself. A Hilux Surf (diesel, of course) would be good too because those old Toyotas are A+++++++ with people right now and one that says 'Hilux' but rumbles with the oil burner adds even more +s. If you could get a Landrover Defender though don't discount that, those things are exactly like Land Cruisers in that the people that want them want them bad. I don't know what one would be like to live with over here but for resale that would compete with a 4 door or troopy-style Land Cruiser.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A 25 year old Defender would take one look at NA after getting off the boat and promptly turn into a pile of rust. Except it would somehow fail at that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Speaking of Capos mine should be shipping out in a couple days! :coolspot:

Awesome! Prepare for a wait that will remind you of the last day of school or Xmas Eve, followed immediately by incoherent joy.