Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the popular kids posted:

I am a mattress salesperson. Yes it's horrible. Yes I sell 7 thousand dollar mattresses to people.

After working with mattresses and selling and returns and warranties for 5 years now my completely non expert opinion:

Those memory foam or latex bed-in-a-box like Casper or an Ikea bed are probably the best bang for your buck.

Coil mattresses suck and the best way to buy a coil mattress is get a 'tight top' with no thick padding on top then buy yourself a memory foam topper to taste. Any coil mattress with a 'pillow top' will sag after just a year and will suck and hurt you.

Memory foam beds are usually memory foam on top of a dense foam core. The memory foam will usually not sag but the foam core will soften and will probably get uncomfortable over time.

Natural latex beds are my top pick. They don't seem to be hot like memory foam and I find we have almost zero issues with sagging etc. (Full latex mattresses, anyway) and with the more expensive brands they are customized to every person.

Warranties on most mattresses are garbage and it's very rare we have a customer who qualifies for one.

Anyway. Mattress stores are a big rip off. They will usually quadruple the price they got the bed for then put it on for 60% off. Maybe go into one to try and see what style you prefer then just order a cheap one online.

This is post is from awhile back but I'm wondering - where does the Ikea Sultan Hallen fall into? It's described as a "pocket spring" with high resistance foam. I've had it for a few years and it's mostly been fine - but I'm not out like a light / dying to stay in bed but that might just be the kind of sleeper I am.

I'm wondering if it's new mattress time though - it does feel like there's a slight sag / compression towards the center of the mattress - it's not immediately obvious but I think I can feel it just a bit when I try to lie off center. Lately some mornings my neck/shoulders feel a bit uncomfortable, which could mean I just need a new pillow, but I've been fussing with a few and haven't found much I like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

unknown posted:

Quick 9mo review of a Sealy we bought: Sealy Posturepedic Proback Firm King (I forget the exact model name, but it changes on a monthly basis it seems). Like a $1k :canada: with all the extras (box/frame). Higher end of the medium level mattresses from what I could tell (Synastren can probably give more details). Pocket coil with a thinner foam/latex layer than others.

I'm a side sleeper, that sleeps warm.

Old mattress was a softer one with a thicker foam/latex that you sink into. Started getting that morning aches due to lack of support, also very warm.

Initial impression: A bit more firm than I'm used to, but the body support was A1+. Didn't realize how good pocket coil is for reducing movement. Sleeps cooler since it's not enveloping me in foam. Solid 8 hours every night.

9mo: Foam layer isn't holding up IMHO as well as it should (compresses faster), but springs are fine (no sagging). Basically a thick mattress topper will solve this (kind of expected it, and that's why we got a firmer model - easy to add, hard to remove padding).

Sex: Way better than old mattress. Firmness is good. :smug:

We used to sell a Sealy cushion firm model that is very close to what you described. It was a very reliable mattress with no frills that we sold all the time and felt good about. Assuming you worked with someone, they should have put you on the plush model instead of the firm (unless you are willing to cash out ~$150 or more for a topper, it is almost certainly a lesser quality than the mattress's foam). The core support system in posturepedic models is kinda cool, but unless they've made significant changes in the last couple of years, it's basically a layer of foam in the weightlifting belt region. Higher dollar models will make changes to the coil unit in that region, but in the $1k and below region, it was often just more foam there.

$1k is actually on the lower end of midrange, but there's been some upheaval lately, and that's gravitating more towards the middle of the middle now. :v: For context, the basic heuristic is: up to $1k is lower range; $1k - $2.5k is midrange; $2.5k and up is luxury.

Capn Beeb posted:

How do y'all feel about Saatva?

I have no strong feelings about Saatva. I know relatively little about their product.

Tuft & Needle and Casper are tied for worst online bed companies in my eyes; Purple likely the best. All of the others fall somewhere in the middle. I have personally worked with folks who have purchased beds from all the major online companies who were disappointed, I just despise T&N's product AND their marketing, and I think that Casper is one of the scummiest companies I've read about lately.

It's hard to judge online bedding retailers as they rarely provide actual specs of their models. It is extraordinarily frustrating.

Oxyclean posted:

This is post is from awhile back but I'm wondering - where does the Ikea Sultan Hallen fall into? It's described as a "pocket spring" with high resistance foam. I've had it for a few years and it's mostly been fine - but I'm not out like a light / dying to stay in bed but that might just be the kind of sleeper I am.

I'm wondering if it's new mattress time though - it does feel like there's a slight sag / compression towards the center of the mattress - it's not immediately obvious but I think I can feel it just a bit when I try to lie off center. Lately some mornings my neck/shoulders feel a bit uncomfortable, which could mean I just need a new pillow, but I've been fussing with a few and haven't found much I like?

That post flies in the face of virtually all of my experience, so you should be aware that there is variation even within groups of dudes who sell beds. :v:
His post sounds like someone disillusioned who doesn't like his job and/or who works for supervisors who care more about driving dollars (i.e., is hardcore retail) rather than taking care of customers (which is our philosophy here).

Wrapped coils are the best coils. If you are getting something with a connected coil, it is not great. Ikea beds are always extremely firm (at least for American tastes), but if you have had it for a while with no complaints, then it's A-OK in my book.

That being said, if you're starting to get pulled into an area of the mattress overnight, and it's causing discomfort, it's time to start looking again. At the very least, a mattress should allow you to sleep well throughout the night, and when that goes away--and you know it's just the mattress causing the difficulty--it's time to start looking for a new one. You may want to try looking into a new pillow first, though, and maybe save some money. If most of your problem is concentrated around your neck/shoulder, likely your pillow is not providing the correct amount of support. If your pillow felt great when your mattress is new and now does not, your pillow is likely a bit too lofty and is craning your head upwards slightly now.

I'd be happy to make suggestions if you want to toss out exactly what's going on either in PM or here. I can make general suggestions, or I can make suggestions from our inventory, whichever you prefer!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Synastren posted:

I just despise T&N's product AND their marketing, and I think that Casper is one of the scummiest companies I've read about lately.
What makes Casper scummy? I've been half tempted to get one just because some of the podcasts I listen to seem to be enthusiastic about them even beyond the ad reads - and for the most part I don't think these guys are shills. (But nevertheless I'm still inclined to take it with a grain of salt / healthy skepticism)

Synastren posted:

Wrapped coils are the best coils. If you are getting something with a connected coil, it is not great. Ikea beds are always extremely firm (at least for American tastes), but if you have had it for a while with no complaints, then it's A-OK in my book.
It didn't seem terribly firm, at least not compared to my old bed which I've had since I was a teen. Actually kind of surprised that mattress has held up for how long I've had it - I tried sleeping on it recently and it just felt firm as hell compared to what I have now. (I dont think the firmness was a problem in the past - I got the current mattress because I wanted something bigger.) My step mom suggested the particular model because she liked it and I want to say said it kept cooler better then foam style mattresses.

Synastren posted:

You may want to try looking into a new pillow first, though, and maybe save some money. If most of your problem is concentrated around your neck/shoulder, likely your pillow is not providing the correct amount of support. If your pillow felt great when your mattress is new and now does not, your pillow is likely a bit too lofty and is craning your head upwards slightly now.

I'd be happy to make suggestions if you want to toss out exactly what's going on either in PM or here. I can make general suggestions, or I can make suggestions from our inventory, whichever you prefer!
I'm basically not sure what I should be looking for in a pillow.

I used to have a two pillow setup (feather pillow on top of a smaller, slight more firm pillow, I think.) that never really seemed to bother me and felt right, but at some point about two months ago I started fussing with things because I thought how I was sleeping was maybe causing some other problems (long story) and some quick research seemed to suggest more or less what you said (don't crane the neck) and to use a single pillow, with something like a feather pillow being good for a back sleeper. (I sleep on a mix of my back and side) I haven't really been able to find something that feels quite right - just using my old feather pillow alone feels close - I can get a night's rest on it, but sometimes it's hard to get comfortable at first or I wake up with a very slightly sore/stiff neck. I've tried getting a new and slightly bigger feather pillow, but it hasn't been much different. I've also tried going back to my old setup and it just feels wrong now. I also have a few slightly firmer/smaller pillows that I've tried on their own - not sure on the material but they all usually feel uncomfortable enough that I haven't really even given them the full night.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 1, 2018

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Capn Beeb posted:

How do y'all feel about Saatva?

Just ordered one last month. The middle firmness option is a little too firm for me (but I'm short and small so I sink into the average mattress less than a heavier person might) so I'll probably wind up trading in for the softer one before the trial period is up. It's very nice and supportive though, if you prefer the feeling of sleeping on a mattress instead of sinking into it and like the bounce of springs, I'd say it's nice.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

I bought a Tulo over a T&N based on Synastren's recommendation a couple months ago. Tried the firm first, but was experiencing pain whenever I rolled to the side. Switched the the medium and have been sleeping well on it for about two months now. Before this I was sleeping on an ancient lumpy cotton futon though, so I might just be one of those people who can get comfortable on any surface.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

What makes Casper scummy? I've been half tempted to get one just because some of the podcasts I listen to seem to be enthusiastic about them even beyond the ad reads - and for the most part I don't think these guys are shills. (But nevertheless I'm still inclined to take it with a grain of salt / healthy skepticism)

Longest article on mattress sales ever pretty much. But it's some Shakespearean poo poo. Highly recommend.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Synastren posted:

We used to sell a Sealy cushion firm model that is very close to what you described. It was a very reliable mattress with no frills that we sold all the time and felt good about. Assuming you worked with someone, they should have put you on the plush model instead of the firm (unless you are willing to cash out ~$150 or more for a topper, it is almost certainly a lesser quality than the mattress's foam). The core support system in posturepedic models is kinda cool, but unless they've made significant changes in the last couple of years, it's basically a layer of foam in the weightlifting belt region. Higher dollar models will make changes to the coil unit in that region, but in the $1k and below region, it was often just more foam there.

Eh, my previous bed was more plush, and I'm a toasty sleeper, so less padding is better. And there's supposed to be a different coil density in the middle (http://www.sealycanada.com/en/proback-series.html).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanks for the assist on the Casper article Thanatosian. That was exactly what I was going to bring up.

Oxyclean posted:

It didn't seem terribly firm, at least not compared to my old bed which I've had since I was a teen. Actually kind of surprised that mattress has held up for how long I've had it - I tried sleeping on it recently and it just felt firm as hell compared to what I have now. (I dont think the firmness was a problem in the past - I got the current mattress because I wanted something bigger.) My step mom suggested the particular model because she liked it and I want to say said it kept cooler better then foam style mattresses.

I'm basically not sure what I should be looking for in a pillow.

I used to have a two pillow setup (feather pillow on top of a smaller, slight more firm pillow, I think.) that never really seemed to bother me and felt right, but at some point about two months ago I started fussing with things because I thought how I was sleeping was maybe causing some other problems (long story) and some quick research seemed to suggest more or less what you said (don't crane the neck) and to use a single pillow, with something like a feather pillow being good for a back sleeper. (I sleep on a mix of my back and side) I haven't really been able to find something that feels quite right - just using my old feather pillow alone feels close - I can get a night's rest on it, but sometimes it's hard to get comfortable at first or I wake up with a very slightly sore/stiff neck. I've tried getting a new and slightly bigger feather pillow, but it hasn't been much different. I've also tried going back to my old setup and it just feels wrong now. I also have a few slightly firmer/smaller pillows that I've tried on their own - not sure on the material but they all usually feel uncomfortable enough that I haven't really even given them the full night.

Re: bed firmness

If you have a fairly old mattress (somewhere from the 90s or early 2000s) chances are good it was quite firm. Things have softened up a lot since everyone has embraced individually wrapped coils in some form or fashion. So if you're comparing a recent Ikea mattress with wrapped coils against a firm connected coil, what you describe is exactly what I would expect.

Re: pillows

I would suggest trying some sort of shredded foam pillow, or some latex foam pillows. Your local bed place should have something like those available to try. Expect a good pillow to be costly, though it will likely be worth it, and is significantly cheaper than a decent mattress. The down pillow folks I've worked with generally prefer either a very soft memory foam pillow (for the squish), or one of the options I suggested (as it is more fluffy).

unknown posted:

Eh, my previous bed was more plush, and I'm a toasty sleeper, so less padding is better. And there's supposed to be a different coil density in the middle (http://www.sealycanada.com/en/proback-series.html).

I did not realize that Sealy Canada had completely different bedding lines. The more you know! And I know nothing about bed prices or product lines outside of the United States! :v:

The cheaper Sealys that have different coil densities in the middle area do it through honeycombing the coils--essentially, instead of having coils in merely a grid, they are nested together. The higher end Sealys actually have more numerous coils in a grid or nested. The nesting thing did not exist in the lines we carried, so I'm less familiar, but it's becoming a more widespread technique across manufacturers. I think your bed is a pretty solid one, though I'm not certain how it rates compared to what I have available to compare with, andm since I lack a Sealy rep, I don't know a direct comparison.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Huntersoninski posted:

Just ordered one last month. The middle firmness option is a little too firm for me (but I'm short and small so I sink into the average mattress less than a heavier person might) so I'll probably wind up trading in for the softer one before the trial period is up. It's very nice and supportive though, if you prefer the feeling of sleeping on a mattress instead of sinking into it and like the bounce of springs, I'd say it's nice.

That sounds like what I'm after alright, now I just need to figure out what makes a good pillow good and where to get some :toot:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Capn Beeb posted:

That sounds like what I'm after alright, now I just need to figure out what makes a good pillow good and where to get some :toot:

Pillows are tricky beasts, best tried and coupled with your mattress, as the same pillow will feel a bit different on a different mattress. Unfortunately, that's not usually a possibility with online mattress purchases.

Short heuristics to finding the right pillow:
The thickness should be determined by how you most commonly sleep. Thickest for side sleepers, thinner for back sleepers, thinnest for stomach sleepers.

The goal of a pillow is to fill the space between your head and your mattress. You want to try to keep your spine roughly aligned, especially near the base of your neck. The most common neckache issues are due to a pillow that is either too tall or too short.

The squish of a pillow is the most subjective part. In general, I find that folks who gravitate towards softer beds like the feel of firmer pillows more, and vice versa.

If you're not spending at least $20 on a pillow, it will likely be garbage--imo $40 is a good starting point for a decent quality pillow.

ed: Almost forgot about the one thing folks don't usually consider with respect to pillow: weight. For example, I've heard nothing but good things about the Purple pillow... except that it weighs roughly 10 lbs. :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Synastren posted:

Pillows are tricky beasts, best tried and coupled with your mattress, as the same pillow will feel a bit different on a different mattress. Unfortunately, that's not usually a possibility with online mattress purchases.

Short heuristics to finding the right pillow:
The thickness should be determined by how you most commonly sleep. Thickest for side sleepers, thinner for back sleepers, thinnest for stomach sleepers.

The goal of a pillow is to fill the space between your head and your mattress. You want to try to keep your spine roughly aligned, especially near the base of your neck. The most common neckache issues are due to a pillow that is either too tall or too short.

The squish of a pillow is the most subjective part. In general, I find that folks who gravitate towards softer beds like the feel of firmer pillows more, and vice versa.

If you're not spending at least $20 on a pillow, it will likely be garbage--imo $40 is a good starting point for a decent quality pillow.

ed: Almost forgot about the one thing folks don't usually consider with respect to pillow: weight. For example, I've heard nothing but good things about the Purple pillow... except that it weighs roughly 10 lbs. :v:

I have an 8-pound Beans pillow (stuffed with buckwheat husks) that I'm a big fan of. It is hella firm, and cost me about $80.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So my Purple mattress arrived and I just finished one night of sleeping on it. Verdict — it's very soft and firm at the same time. Hard to describe it. It's yielding, but very solid. Feels like sleeping in a hammock, but the lines don't cut into you and instead wrap around you, there's zero rocking, and literally any position feels comfortable. I'm about 75% side sleeper, 25% back sleeper. I (used to) tend to switch positions a lot as I sleep, but I think I shifted around only about two or three times last night.

The mattress didn't seem like it slept hot, though last night wasn't really a good barometer to use as it wasn't really that warm here where I live. I didn't wake up sweaty or uncomfortable, at least.

The grid has enough spring and give to it that there's enough support for loving as well. It's not like memory foam where your knees and arms are just gonna be sucked into the surface. You'll sink a couple inches into the surface but because of that the grid bounces you back so you're not putting in 150% effort for the same results like on foam. I actually think I'd prefer this over a standard boxspring, as the grid holds you in position pretty well instead of sliding across the mattress surface :v:

The images on the Purple site aren't fully accurate -- there's a ring of foam on the edges of the mattress, presumably to support sitting on the edges and to better prevent against rolling off the bed if you get too close to the edge and the grid collapses under you. I don't mind that being there but I'm surprised it isn't depicted on their marketing page.

The new Purple pillow feels 1000% more comfortable to use than my two standard pillows. It's heavy as poo poo, yeah, 10 pounds, but it doesn't move around and doesn't slip out from under my bed if I shift around while sleeping. On that mattress, it feels great. On my previous boxspring mattress I had to prop up the Purple pillow another inch or two to feel comfortable, and I felt like it was still putting weird pressures on my neck/ear. But on this one, since my body is sinking into the surface, the pillow is at the right height and I barely even notice it really, which is ideal. It supports my head and otherwise is nonobstructive.

The marketing being like THIS MATTRESS IS loving MINDBLOWING is, pretty clearly, oversold. It's just a really good mattress. It's not a PARADIGM CHANGER experience (I get that the mattress style and technology is pretty new) or anything, you won't go "Wow I never knew sleeping could feel like this!?", it's just really solid and comfortable. I have zero complaints after one single night. I went "Wow this is pretty dang good" and got up with no stiffness. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was skeptical of the grid technology but honestly while laying on it you don't really notice it. It just straight feels comfortable.

I'll update if my mind changes after two weeks or two months or whatever, but after the first night I'm satisfied with the mattress and what I paid for it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SKULL.GIF posted:

The mattress didn't seem like it slept hot, though last night wasn't really a good barometer to use as it wasn't really that warm here where I live. I didn't wake up sweaty or uncomfortable, at least.

The grid has enough spring and give to it that there's enough support for loving as well. It's not like memory foam where your knees and arms are just gonna be sucked into the surface. You'll sink a couple inches into the surface but because of that the grid bounces you back so you're not putting in 150% effort for the same results like on foam. I actually think I'd prefer this over a standard boxspring, as the grid holds you in position pretty well instead of sliding across the mattress surface :v:

The images on the Purple site aren't fully accurate -- there's a ring of foam on the edges of the mattress, presumably to support sitting on the edges and to better prevent against rolling off the bed if you get too close to the edge and the grid collapses under you. I don't mind that being there but I'm surprised it isn't depicted on their marketing page.

The new Purple pillow feels 1000% more comfortable to use than my two standard pillows. It's heavy as poo poo, yeah, 10 pounds, but it doesn't move around and doesn't slip out from under my bed if I shift around while sleeping. On that mattress, it feels great. On my previous boxspring mattress I had to prop up the Purple pillow another inch or two to feel comfortable, and I felt like it was still putting weird pressures on my neck/ear. But on this one, since my body is sinking into the surface, the pillow is at the right height and I barely even notice it really, which is ideal. It supports my head and otherwise is nonobstructive.

The marketing being like THIS MATTRESS IS loving MINDBLOWING is, pretty clearly, oversold. It's just a really good mattress. It's not a PARADIGM CHANGER experience (I get that the mattress style and technology is pretty new) or anything, you won't go "Wow I never knew sleeping could feel like this!?", it's just really solid and comfortable. I have zero complaints after one single night. I went "Wow this is pretty dang good" and got up with no stiffness. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was skeptical of the grid technology but honestly while laying on it you don't really notice it. It just straight feels comfortable.

I'll update if my mind changes after two weeks or two months or whatever, but after the first night I'm satisfied with the mattress and what I paid for it.

I'd be super interested if sleeping hot is something you encounter. I have limited experience with folks who actually have a Purple mattress.

Given your comments about a boxspring, are you European?

Your experience with their pillow is extremely common of anyone getting a new, good quality pillow. Since so many folks are used to buying cheap pillows, getting something with substance feels completely different and pretty freaking wonderful. I'm glad everything seems to be working so well for you, though!

By the way, not all memory foam will be soft and enveloping. Some of the firmest mattresses in my showroom are straight foam. And Purple's marketing is goddamn brilliant, if completely, utterly exaggerated. Edge encasement is super standard, but I'm actually a little surprised if it extends up to the top of the mattress. Most foam mattresses will not have encasements around the memory foam layers simply to make sure it does not interfere with function.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SKULL.GIF posted:

So my Purple mattress arrived and I just finished one night of sleeping on it.
Thanks for the detailed review. Did you say you got the new version? How many inches of foam did you get on top? What do you have under the mattress?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

With Purple/memory foam mattresses: Does something need to go under them? My IKEA pocketed spring mattress had a foundation (which I think is basically just a slatted base?) that it sits on - would it be a problem to re-use that for a memory foam mattress?

e: Apparently IKEA mattresses have a 25 year warranty, but both require you to have original receipt and don't cover "normal wear and tear" - whats even the point of it going past a few years then?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

spf3million posted:

Thanks for the detailed review. Did you say you got the new version? How many inches of foam did you get on top? What do you have under the mattress?

It's the new version, yeah. I got the 3" version. I'm using the platform base that's sold with the mattress -- it's pretty tall (which was the main selling point for me -- I really hate crouching down to get onto a bed) and had headboard support.

Synastren posted:

I'd be super interested if sleeping hot is something you encounter. I have limited experience with folks who actually have a Purple mattress.

Given your comments about a boxspring, are you European?

Your experience with their pillow is extremely common of anyone getting a new, good quality pillow. Since so many folks are used to buying cheap pillows, getting something with substance feels completely different and pretty freaking wonderful. I'm glad everything seems to be working so well for you, though!

By the way, not all memory foam will be soft and enveloping. Some of the firmest mattresses in my showroom are straight foam. And Purple's marketing is goddamn brilliant, if completely, utterly exaggerated. Edge encasement is super standard, but I'm actually a little surprised if it extends up to the top of the mattress. Most foam mattresses will not have encasements around the memory foam layers simply to make sure it does not interfere with function.

No, I'm American. What about my comments about the boxspring sounds European?

The summer season is hitting in a few weeks so I'll mention it in here if I have heat issues. In the past my quality of sleep has degraded significantly in the summer because of heat, so I'm hoping this mattress is a change of pace on that front.

The foam encasement seems to ring only the top layer, with the grid. It doesn't extend down to the wrapped coil spring portion of the mattress, as far as I can tell without taking my sheets off and unzipping the mattress cover. I'll check next time I change the sheets.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

With Purple/memory foam mattresses: Does something need to go under them? My IKEA pocketed spring mattress had a foundation (which I think is basically just a slatted base?) that it sits on - would it be a problem to re-use that for a memory foam mattress?

e: Apparently IKEA mattresses have a 25 year warranty, but both require you to have original receipt and don't cover "normal wear and tear" - whats even the point of it going past a few years then?

The Wirecutter has a good article about bed frames I would recommend.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

The Wirecutter has a good article about bed frames I would recommend.

This one? I'm sort of interested in reasons why a frame/box spring/foundation is relevant. Like will it change how the mattress feels/works if I just use my existing IKEA foundation?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I was thinking of getting a purple mattress, and went to their website to find the new purple queen is $1100 ($2100) more than the old style queen ($1000). Did it really change that much? I read through the marketing, but know most of it is over inflated malarkey.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

This one? I'm sort of interested in reasons why a frame/box spring/foundation is relevant. Like will it change how the mattress feels/works if I just use my existing IKEA foundation?

Yeah, they go into it in that article, and that there are very good reasons to make sure your bed frame has enough slats that are close enough together, especially if you're using a foam mattress.

Spikes32 posted:

So I was thinking of getting a purple mattress, and went to their website to find the new purple queen is $1100 ($2100) more than the old style queen ($1000). Did it really change that much? I read through the marketing, but know most of it is over inflated malarkey.
Goddamn. I wouldn't mind paying that much for a mattress if it really is that awesome.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 10, 2018

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Oxyclean posted:

Your slats need to be closer than 3" apart (maybe 2" for purple) to be considered a platform base.

Any foundation is required to provide even support to the mattress. Lots of vendors will handwave how their foundation is specially made for their mattresses (Beautyrest's foundation is legit impressive for what it's worth) to provide support, but they will use a different brand's foundation to evade a warranty claim. In other words, if they can blame someone else's product for their mattress failing, they totally will. Platform bases (including adjustables) are unique in that they are universally accepted as A-OK for providing support.

Now, Purple has their own platform base, so they might be squirrelly about foundations. I don't have specific insight into their product and warranty; sorry.

Related: Mattress warranties never cover standard wear and tear. There is generally a specific criterion to meet for a particular type of overwear--1.5 inch impression in a coil based mattress is industry standard for warranty issues, for example.

SKULL.GIF posted:

No, I'm American. What about my comments about the boxspring sounds European?

The summer season is hitting in a few weeks so I'll mention it in here if I have heat issues. In the past my quality of sleep has degraded significantly in the summer because of heat, so I'm hoping this mattress is a change of pace on that front.

The foam encasement seems to ring only the top layer, with the grid. It doesn't extend down to the wrapped coil spring portion of the mattress, as far as I can tell without taking my sheets off and unzipping the mattress cover. I'll check next time I change the sheets.

Oh. From what I understand (I would love being corrected) actual box springs are more common in Europe than the US. Actual springs in the foundation would affect the feel of the mattress, while hard foundations do not.

If your sleeping condition continues to be overly warm, I'll make a few general accessory recommendations when we get there, if you like!

Encasement only around the top? That must be a firm loving foam core, holy poo poo.

Spikes32 posted:

$1k for a quality mattress is actually a very decent and fair price.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think they're saying it's 1k more then old version. Double the price for the new model seems steep.

I'm half debating between a Leesa or Purple myself - I was going to complain about the cost on the newer purples but apparently the newer purples aren't even an option in Canada?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 10, 2018

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah my question was about why the new mattress style is so much more expensive than the old, and if I should just get the old version they they're still selling at $1000

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah my question was about why the new mattress style is so much more expensive than the old, and if I should just get the old version they they're still selling at $1000

I have only owned the old Purple Mattress for 7 months, and have not used it through a summer yet but it seems nice so far. I did wax on it previously but it is a big step up from rental mattresses that are probably 20 years old, and have a giant pit for a center. I did genuinely miss my mattress after I went home for holidays.

I'm not sure how to describe it except it seems nicely supportive and I felt it was worth the 1.4k CAD I paid for it. I have it on an IKEA bed frame with the Lonset bed slats. I'm a 180 lb 6' male.

I don't think a person would be disappointed if they got the original Purple Mattress.

EDIT: The old mattress is the purple grid on a layered foam base (foam=cheap). The new mattress is the purple grid on the more expensive bed spring mattress base.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Has anyone used a Leesa long enough to sound off on it? I read a couple of articles that did direct comparisons between Leesa, Purple, Casper, and Ghostbed and the reviews made it seem like the Leesa was the softest sleeper and had a bit of bounce like a latex foam bed would have, but after I read that article linked upthread I'm basically trusting nothing on any review website. I've got a 10ish year old cheapy memory foam bed now that is hard as a rock, retains heat like whoa, and has a big dip in the middle of it currently. I tend more to a side and stomach sleeper, and I sleep hot as gently caress so something that doesn't turn into an oven by 3am would be appreciated. I'm 6ft 2in and 190 lbs if that makes any difference, I've heard Purple can be uncomfortable for people on the extreme ends of being either very large or very small.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

DeathSandwich posted:

Has anyone used a Leesa long enough to sound off on it? I read a couple of articles that did direct comparisons between Leesa, Purple, Casper, and Ghostbed and the reviews made it seem like the Leesa was the softest sleeper and had a bit of bounce like a latex foam bed would have, but after I read that article linked upthread I'm basically trusting nothing on any review website.

You can return any of those if you don't like it right away.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I've been sleeping on a Leesa king mattress on top of a Zinus metal platform bed for the past 2 months and it's very comfortable. The memory foam feel was weird at first, but I got used to it very quickly. Now it feels natural and relaxing. I sleep on my side 90% of the time and it feels like a solid hug around my body. Not too warm either but it has a satisfying balance.

No issues with sex either, which is a thing some people complain about with foam mattresses. Definitely works as well or better than my old ancient coil mattress. No complaints from my girlfriend either! :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm 6ft 2in and 190 lbs if that makes any difference, I've heard Purple can be uncomfortable for people on the extreme ends of being either very large or very small.

I can't comment on the rest of your post but at 6'0 and 225 I don't have any issues with the Purple 3". If anything you might have more of an issue finding enough length on a queen mattress than you will with the grid, but that's not a problem particular to Purple. 74 inches means you have only 3 inches of mattress above and below you when you're laying down.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 11, 2018

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m 6’7 and 290, I like our lessa that we’ve had for 2 years.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
We bought one of these in January: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Nirvana-Euro-Pillow-top-10-inch-Queen-Spring-Mattress-Bed-in-a-Box/9976855/product.html .

It's been great so far. They seem to be out of stock now, and I have no idea whether they'll come back, but I figured I'd give in my input. It sounds like they're similar to the Purple, both firm and soft, but entirely lacking in edge support, which has taken some getting used to. Once upon a time we had some sort of memory foam topper on our mattress and I was so hot I couldn't stand it, but this doesn't seem any hotter than the conventional mattress.

Our bedframe was designed for a box spring, and our old one was shot, so we got a Zinus platform and it's been fine too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F9SWDJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just thought I'd add a budget option here. We got this on sale for less than $300. I figure if it lasts us three years, that's plenty good enough, and every year after that is a bonus.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

guaranteed posted:

It's been great so far. They seem to be out of stock now, and I have no idea whether they'll come back, but I figured I'd give in my input. It sounds like they're similar to the Purple, both firm and soft, but entirely lacking in edge support, which has taken some getting used to. Once upon a time we had some sort of memory foam topper on our mattress and I was so hot I couldn't stand it, but this doesn't seem any hotter than the conventional mattress.

The edge support on that mattress seems like it's less about support and more about just making the side of the bed look nice. And it is the same temperature as a conventional mattress because it is a conventional mattress, it just came vacuum sealed in box.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm approaching the 2 year mark on my tuft & needle, still feels good as new.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience with Zinus mattresses? Top rated on Amazon with queens coming in at $399 CDN. I'm moving to Los Angeles for work for the next 13-ish months but maintaining our primary residence in Canada, so I don't want to spend a fortune on something I'm going to get rid of a year from now. We currently have a Casper and we like it, but I can sleep on pretty much anything and my wife prefers a firmer mattress. The main thing I'm concerned about is the heat we're going to experience in LA in the summers, especially reading that foam mattresses tend to retain heat.

That being said, I'm only 145 lbs., my wife is 105 lbs., and goddamn you yanks need to stop with the unlimited breadsticks and soda refills at the Olive Garden or whatever.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dillbag posted:

Anyone have experience with Zinus mattresses? Top rated on Amazon with queens coming in at $399 CDN. I'm moving to Los Angeles for work for the next 13-ish months but maintaining our primary residence in Canada, so I don't want to spend a fortune on something I'm going to get rid of a year from now. We currently have a Casper and we like it, but I can sleep on pretty much anything and my wife prefers a firmer mattress. The main thing I'm concerned about is the heat we're going to experience in LA in the summers, especially reading that foam mattresses tend to retain heat.

That being said, I'm only 145 lbs., my wife is 105 lbs., and goddamn you yanks need to stop with the unlimited breadsticks and soda refills at the Olive Garden or whatever.

If you're both that light, and you're looking at foam beds in a box, I hope you like firm mattresses. Unless a given foam mattress either has decent quality foam that is super soft (not going to happen in a bed in a box) or the foam is sub par (more likely, but like a 50/50 shot with biab), they trend towards firm.

poo poo, the softest bed in a box I carry would be a cushion firm if it were in any other category. :v:

ed: Given your size, go to a Mattress Firm and try the Sleepy's Calm. That bed will work well for you in your situation, I think. But seriously, gently caress that bed. It's price is too good for its feel.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 14, 2018

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Has anyone looked into just ordering your own foam and latex layers and putting them into a mattress case? It seems super easy, you can fiddle with different layers yourself for max comfort, and I'd probably put reject layers into a guest bed that would end up at least as comfortable on average as a random bed in a box.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Amara posted:

Has anyone looked into just ordering your own foam and latex layers and putting them into a mattress case? It seems super easy, you can fiddle with different layers yourself for max comfort, and I'd probably put reject layers into a guest bed that would end up at least as comfortable on average as a random bed in a box.

Make sure if you're doing that you also invest in some sort of flame retardant barrier. Foam and stuff is quite flammable without any countermeasures. Any manufactured mattress is required to have some sort of barrier to stop it, usually in the form of a sock that's stitched just under the fabric or the top layers of foam.

Though if you're ripping rejected bits of foam, you might be able to get a flame retardant barrier as well. :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1 week later and my opinion on my new Purple is still the same, though I have one observation to make:

As a primarily side sleeper, I used to have to have pillows stuffed between my knee and elbows so I could sleep comfortably, otherwise my joints pressed against each other and felt horribly uncomfortable. This is how I've had to deal with it for about 15-18 years now

With the Purple mattress I've had zero need for these supporting pillows and actually feel more comfortable without them. I'm pretty sure this is largely because my hip and lower leg can properly sink into the mattress so my knees end up parallel = instead of converging >

Another observation: I used to prefer firm mattresses (because of heat issues) but I actually kind of wish I'd sprung for the 4" version instead of the 3" since I'm really enjoying the softness/give of the mattress. I'm comfortable now sleeping in all positions (side, back, stomach) and sleeping now feels like it's coming naturally to me instead of me having to wiggle around until I find the right configuration to feel comfortable.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just pulled the trigger on a purple king2. FYI, if you add a mattress to your cart then leave it there for a couple of days they'll send you a link for $50 off if you complete in the next 48 hours.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spf3million posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a purple king2. FYI, if you add a mattress to your cart then leave it there for a couple of days they'll send you a link for $50 off if you complete in the next 48 hours.

Looking at the Queen3 as a side-sleeper (5’10”, 170lb), added it to cart but didn’t put in an e-mail or anything; where do they send the code?

e: I went through checkout all the way up to billing (put in my email). Let’s see if it shows up in a day or so.

movax fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It was 4 or 5 days I think before they sent the coupon code.