Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man I cannot believe how bad that looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Today I learned that Boltneck was a movie. Do people in North America even remember it?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loved Predator 2 as a kid as it was just more insane poo poo with the Predator monster.

This new dreck just cannot nail loving anything. It's a ruined franchise.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Predator trailer looks like trash.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am not surprised by this morning's posts in this thread, non-specifically.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Were you guys not allowed to throw in a big long Predator reveal?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
very surprised at how sterile it looks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was the studio like - put this kid front and center - that's the money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

I know what part the kid plays in the story. But I dunno.

I think I’m gonna open up the ol Premiere and risk a good old fashion copyright stike, C/D here. But it’s Predator and it means the world to me.

I didn’t have any issue with the footage...but something is kind off to me. Sorry Kiimo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also in what loving world is a movie starring Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, and Keegan Michael Key DTV.

A stupid one probably. The cast owns.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I've never heard of Sterling Brown, Thomas Jane is in DTV movies all the time, Keegan Key known mostly for tv comedy, aside from Keanu I haven't seen anything with him theatrically, Halbrook is another tv guy for the most part, he was ok as the villain in Logan but that's about the only notable release.

This isn't a statement of quality, most have done great work, but you're insane if you think any of these guys qualify as blockbuster A-listers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bullet3 posted:

I've never heard of Sterling Brown, Thomas Jane is in DTV movies all the time, Keegan Key known mostly for tv comedy, aside from Keanu I haven't seen anything with him theatrically, Halbrook is another tv guy for the most part, he was ok as the villain in Logan but that's about the only notable release.

This isn't a statement of quality, most have done great work, but you're insane if you think any of these guys qualify as blockbuster A-listers.

Sterling K. Brown is blowing up right now. He's a regular on This Is Us, was in Black Panther, and is the lead in the upcoming Hotel Artemis (which has come up a few times in this very thread). It's getting to a point where, if you don't know who he is, that's on you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sterling K Brown is someone who is slowly but deservingly working his way to the top. He was just in Black Panther!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stranger Things except all the kids get killed by a predator

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41KVmPzIC4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fantastic comedic timing. :effort:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
more thursday trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ro9ebQxEOY

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I know what part the kid plays in the story. But I dunno.

I think I’m gonna open up the ol Premiere and risk a good old fashion copyright stike, C/D here. But it’s Predator and it means the world to me.

I didn’t have any issue with the footage...but something is kind off to me. Sorry Kiimo.

I mean I tried to warn you. You can only do so much when you have so little material to work with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That blows dude. Why did they give you so little?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
kiimo, you're pretty much our Sherpa here, should we be worried about the full movie? I don't really hate anything in the trailer but it's also not really exciting me, it just looks fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He only sees what they gave him. And it seems like they just give them a few dailies to edit together.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't seen anything.

That's like the problem though. I probably shouldn't say more especially since I don't know what's really happening in the room inside the room.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair enough. But I remember watching some special on a kids show about cutting trailers, and they really do only give you like a little pack of stuff to play with. It's weird. I get you want to play things close to the chest, but you gotta give a little.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so... basically... the answer is "extremely yes, be very worried"

like i've gotten the vibe most productions are a lot more open with giving you dailies

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SFX-heavy productions always seem to have issues getting something together in time for a decent teaser. It's a constant mess. Sometimes everything comes together like Logan, sometimes everything continues to spiral out of control until the movie comes out like Green Lantern and you're left with Ryan Reynolds and the Ectoplasm of Mountain Dew Rings

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I loved Predator 2 as a kid as it was just more insane poo poo with the Predator monster.

This new dreck just cannot nail loving anything. It's a ruined franchise.

I don't remember Predator 2 well enough to comment but I think Predator was lightning in a bottle and the franchise has the problem of "no one remembers why the first one was good." It was a bunch of 80s buff dudes in the jungle going to gently caress up some central americans with the suspense of "oh poo poo what is patiently hunting and killing them?" Everything after has been generic monster horror movies with no suspense. Not to say movie franchises can't evolve to become totally unrecognizable and still be good (Fast and the Furious) but they're called Predators drat it, why aren't they sneaking up all invisible-like?

Hopefully the trailer is just showing the action bits and there's plenty of stalking prey, but I'm not optimistic.

Still probably a fun movie though.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Vintersorg posted:

Yep - even knowing that Tremblay has a major role in the plot, why spend so much of the first trailer on that?

That said, Keegan Michael Key said in a recent interview that "about three quarters" of the third act was reshot, which would probably limit what marketing has to work with at this point.

kiimo posted:

SFX-heavy productions always seem to have issues getting something together in time for a decent teaser. It's a constant mess. Sometimes everything comes together like Logan, sometimes everything continues to spiral out of control until the movie comes out like Green Lantern and you're left with Ryan Reynolds and the Ectoplasm of Mountain Dew Rings

Does your end of things have any say in which effects shots get prioritized for trailers, or do you just have to work with whatever the studio gives you?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Predator 1 was Expendables before there were Expendables movie. John Matrix, Apollo Creed, Jesse Ventura, and the bad guy from 48 Hours fight a monster in the jungles of South America? Sign me the gently caress up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, I don't think it's supposed to come off as profound? This just looks like a fun, light Superbad-meets-Broad-City to me :confused:

First half, sure. The second half has a tone shift, and the lift quotes are picked out for a reason.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Predator 1 was Expendables before there were Expendables movie. John Matrix, Apollo Creed, Jesse Ventura, and the bad guy from 48 Hours fight a monster in the jungles of South America? Sign me the gently caress up.

That's just it, the 80s were the high point of one man army action movies. Anyone one of Arnold's squad could have starred in his own B-movie. That genre of low budget action isn't being made anymore so it's hard to round up a group of guys like that for your movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FoneBone posted:

Does your end of things have any say in which effects shots get prioritized for trailers, or do you just have to work with whatever the studio gives you?

Yeah when a teaser is getting close and everyone agrees to go with it (filmmakers are involved in these meetings so they know what to expect) then you go through all the shots and make a list and send it to editorial for them to finish. Whether they actually get around to it or not depends on the production. Some directors / editors understand how important it is. Some others consider themselves auteurs above all that marketing nonsense and will get around to your shots when the film's shots they are working on are done, if ever.

These people are affectionately known in the industry as "soon to be out of work morons".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

That's just it, the 80s were the high point of one man army action movies. Anyone one of Arnold's squad could have starred in his own B-movie. That genre of low budget action isn't being made anymore so it's hard to round up a group of guys like that for your movie.

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHX0QGGtSQY

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 10, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Yeah when a teaser is getting close and everyone agrees to go with it (filmmakers are involved in these meetings so they know what to expect) then you go through all the shots and make a list and send it to editorial for them to finish. Whether they actually get around to it or not depends on the production. Some directors / editors understand how important it is. Some others consider themselves auteurs above all that marketing nonsense and will get around to your shots when the film's shots they are working on are done, if ever.

These people are affectionately known in the industry as "soon to be out of work morons".

Not to discount what you're saying here because this obviously does happen a lot, but sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that in the editing room.

When a show in getting down to the wire and there are concerns with the edit there's almost certainly a budget crunch happening because of reshoot overages or editorial extensions, etc.. Sometimes the creatives have an issue with greenlighting an expensive VFX shot for a trailer that they think might end up getting cut out of the film, then losing the money for a shot they really want but may not be budgeted. In those cases poo poo is usually spiralling out of control very quickly and it's just a cacophony of piss all over the place.

Sometimes it all works out and you get a Fury Road or a Logan. But unfortunately the majority of the time you get a 47 Ronin.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Friend posted:

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, it looks like a fun dumb movie at worst (like the first Transformers), but if the kid puts on the predator gear and uses it I'm giving up on movies forever.

Boy have i got bad news for you... he puts it on while trick-or-treating and fucks up some bully/his house with it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Not to discount what you're saying here because this obviously does happen a lot, but sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that in the editing room.

When a show in getting down to the wire and there are concerns with the edit there's almost certainly a budget crunch happening because of reshoot overages or editorial extensions, etc.. Sometimes the creatives have an issue with greenlighting an expensive VFX shot for a trailer that they think might end up getting cut out of the film, then losing the money for a shot they really want but may not be budgeted. In those cases poo poo is usually spiralling out of control very quickly and it's just a cacophony of piss all over the place.

Sometimes it all works out and you get a Fury Road or a Logan. But unfortunately the majority of the time you get a 47 Ronin.

And sometimes your name is Gore and you decide well this production isn't enough work for me I'm also going to cut all the Trailers and TV spots and color and mix them myself. What's that you have a bunch of :20 TV spots for Korea? Send them my way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

banned from Starbucks posted:

Boy have i got bad news for you... he puts it on while trick-or-treating and fucks up some bully/his house with it

lmao

gently caress. This. poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Friend posted:

I don't remember Predator 2 well enough to comment but I think Predator was lightning in a bottle and the franchise has the problem of "no one remembers why the first one was good." It was a bunch of 80s buff dudes in the jungle going to gently caress up some central americans with the suspense of "oh poo poo what is patiently hunting and killing them?" Everything after has been generic monster horror movies with no suspense. Not to say movie franchises can't evolve to become totally unrecognizable and still be good (Fast and the Furious) but they're called Predators drat it, why aren't they sneaking up all invisible-like?

Hopefully the trailer is just showing the action bits and there's plenty of stalking prey, but I'm not optimistic.

Still probably a fun movie though.

It absolutely was lightning in a bottle. It's Mctiernan in rare form, and apparently the preproduction was a nightmare, but Predator starts off like 80s drug war propaganda (Commando) and then completely shifts tone into far more surreal territory. Predator and Conan feel like the two movies that Arnold took really seriously, and he definitely sets his ego in the background compared to most of his other roles, almost like a silent protagonist, allowing the rest of the cast to provide the color.

The movie is a brilliant subversion of 80s action tropes, and there's a reason why none of the sequels have worked.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Vintersorg posted:

lmao

gently caress. This. poo poo.

Wait that wasn’t an iron man 3 joke?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

the_american_dream posted:

Wait that wasn’t an iron man 3 joke?

Nope, it's in the leaked plot synopsis (that said, the synopsis appears to be from an earlier version of the script).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm guessing that Deadpool movies have their own people making the posters and trailers, separate from the other Fox stuff?