Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I checked today and 6.40.8 is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

thebigcow posted:

I checked today and 6.40.8 is out

6.40.8 doesn't have the switch code change that 6.41+ has, in case anyone is wondering.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
How much of a clusterfuck is the migration to the 6.41+ switch code in practice? :ohdear:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

volkadav posted:

How much of a clusterfuck is the migration to the 6.41+ switch code in practice? :ohdear:

How much switch stuff do you have configured?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had a power blip yesterday and one of my point 2 point antennas (SXT 5-HPacD) which is set to DHCP suddenly got set to 192.167.255.250 when before the router should have been handing it 192.168.1.14. Usually I can connect via the MAC address but that doesn't work.
I'm not sure what to try, but I have already powered it off and back on a few times, nothing changes. The actual p2p connection still works fine but does anyone know what might be going on?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Are you vlan tagging management network? If so they're probably native ips now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Are you vlan tagging management network? If so they're probably native ips now.

This is just on my home network.. I have no VLANS. 192.167.255.250 belongs to an ISP in Italy...?! Should I be concerned? I'm a little boggled at this.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It seems like a typo of 192.168 to me. How? Dunno.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

redeyes posted:

This is just on my home network.. I have no VLANS. 192.167.255.250 belongs to an ISP in Italy...?! Should I be concerned? I'm a little boggled at this.

192.167.x.x isn't a private network address... I guess the only issue I would think you could come across is if you tried to connect to said address in italy, then it wouldn't work.

For future reference, you *really* wanna stick with these:

Class A address range (16 million ish ip's): 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.254
Class B address range (1 million ish IP's): 172.16.0.0 - 172.32.255.254
Class C address range (65,500 ish IP's): 192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.254

Any ranges within those IP ranges I listed, and you will have no routing problems externally from your network.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

It seems like a typo of 192.168 to me. How? Dunno.

It's not though! I have just normal DHCP from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. Everything else on my network is behaving as normal and the 2nd antenna p2p antenna has the correct IP which is just 192.168.1.64. I had the 1st antenna set to 192.168.1.63 via DHCP.

It's freakin odd!

Right now i can't connect to the thing in any way even though it is still working as the p2p link.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Add a secondary IP to your machine on that subnet and connect to it.

Although I thought the Mac telnet stuff on tik worked in these situations. Are you going to the correct mac?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Add a secondary IP to your machine on that subnet and connect to it.

Although I thought the Mac telnet stuff on tik worked in these situations. Are you going to the correct mac?

Yeah It used to work but doesn't now.. no idea why not. I tried adding a 2nd IP on that subnet and connecting and that didn't work either. Im beginning to think its time to reflash its firmware and start over.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

redeyes posted:

I had a power blip yesterday and one of my point 2 point antennas (SXT 5-HPacD) which is set to DHCP suddenly got set to 192.167.255.250 when before the router should have been handing it 192.168.1.14. Usually I can connect via the MAC address but that doesn't work.

Am I understanding it right that you have a device that is no longer asking for network configuration via DHCP and is instead using an incorrect static IP address for no reason and is also not accessible via MAC address connection using Winbox (is that what you refer to by "connect"?).

If so, sounds like your power blip did some damage to the device. Nuke and pave it and see if it works - if not, trash it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EssOEss posted:

Am I understanding it right that you have a device that is no longer asking for network configuration via DHCP and is instead using an incorrect static IP address for no reason and is also not accessible via MAC address connection using Winbox (is that what you refer to by "connect"?).

If so, sounds like your power blip did some damage to the device. Nuke and pave it and see if it works - if not, trash it.

Yep thats basically it. Weirdest thing ever. I have to climb on my roof and snag it down. Gonna wait till tomorrow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question. I swear I WAS able to connect winbox with the Mac address on both my p2p antennas, now I can't. The one antenna that has its correct DHCP IP on my subnet can be connected via IP no problem but not Mac. About the only thing I can think that changed was I use a 48 Port (used) HP Procurve switch. Is there something that might be causing this to fail on that switch. I just have it set default basically.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 6, 2018

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

redeyes posted:

Quick question. I swear I WAS able to connect winbox with the Mac address on both my p2p antennas, now I can't. The one antenna that has its correct DHCP IP on my subnet can be connected via IP no problem but not Mac. About the only thing I can think that changed was I use a 48 Port (used) HP Procurve switch. Is there something that might be causing this to fail on that switch. I just have it set default basically.

I know I had dumb and lovely advice before (because I'm illiterate and didn't read your full post, apologies)

Technically, if you're able to connect to this thing via an IP address, and you're just connecting via a single switch, something in the chain knows this thing's MAC address..

If your antenna is connected to the switch you can log into your procurve, you should be able to check the arp table on the switch (show arp or something similar) and check the MAC address of the antenna in winbox vs. whatever the arp table on the switch thinks the MAC address is.

At the end of the day, if both your endpoints are connected to the switch without a router or something similar in between, they're communicating with ethernet frames (and hence MAC addresses) regardless.

Do you have all your configs saved? I think at this point the nuke and pave advice would be pretty much the way I'd go as well.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020

thebigcow posted:

How much switch stuff do you have configured?

Not a huge amount; I have a 951g in the fairly typical "home router/ap" config. From memory there's four gige ports in a switch group and mtu is set as high as I can on the lan (~4kb).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am sure it doesn’t communicate software wise using layer 2. If you’re in the same layer 2 domain you can try and change your workstations address so it is in the bogus subnet with the device. But that also presumed that there will be no jacked up ACLs or other configured or broken items that will block connectivity:

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Partycat posted:

I am sure it doesn’t communicate software wise using layer 2. If you’re in the same layer 2 domain you can try and change your workstations address so it is in the bogus subnet with the device. But that also presumed that there will be no jacked up ACLs or other configured or broken items that will block connectivity:

I thought everything crossing the switch was encapsulated in frames? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you don't want to check your arp table on the switch, you could always check it against what you've got on your OS you've got winbox on, run an arp -a and check the IP against the MAC address, it'll look something like this:

192.168.0.1 d4-ca-6d-08-10-fd dynamic
192.168.0.10 00-0c-29-88-38-9f dynamic
192.168.0.229 54-60-09-f3-1f-12 dynamic
192.168.0.247 48-d6-d5-70-ef-5c dynamic
192.168.0.253 00-18-dd-32-1c-80 dynamic
192.168.0.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

Might help you narrow stuff down anyway, since you can connect via IP and not via MAC address.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I did an arp -a and get this and a bunch of other stuff but

code:
  192.167.255.250       4c-5e-0c-d4-d4-3e     dynamic
  192.168.1.1           4c-5e-0c-e6-f6-49     dynamic
  192.168.1.5           d0-50-99-09-56-c0     dynamic
  192.168.1.11          f4-81-39-ad-72-87     dynamic
  192.168.1.21          b8-27-eb-7f-06-11     dynamic
4c-5e-0c-d4-d4-3e is definitely the MAC of the Antenna in question. So it's in my arp table but I cannot connect to it. It has to be some kind of corrupted settings right?!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

redeyes posted:

I did an arp -a and get this and a bunch of other stuff but

code:
  192.167.255.250       4c-5e-0c-d4-d4-3e     dynamic
  192.168.1.1           4c-5e-0c-e6-f6-49     dynamic
  192.168.1.5           d0-50-99-09-56-c0     dynamic
  192.168.1.11          f4-81-39-ad-72-87     dynamic
  192.168.1.21          b8-27-eb-7f-06-11     dynamic
4c-5e-0c-d4-d4-3e is definitely the MAC of the Antenna in question. So it's in my arp table but I cannot connect to it. It has to be some kind of corrupted settings right?!

have you tried just connecting to that MAC using winbox? It might not show up in neighbors but still be connectable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

zennik posted:

have you tried just connecting to that MAC using winbox? It might not show up in neighbors but still be connectable.

Yes many times. I'm going to connect a computer directly to the AP to see if that works via MAC and Winbox. It does show up in Winbox but I am unable to connect. Based on the weird IP address, it kinda looks like a bit or 2 flipped in the config.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

redeyes posted:

Yes many times. I'm going to connect a computer directly to the AP to see if that works via MAC and Winbox. It does show up in Winbox but I am unable to connect. Based on the weird IP address, it kinda looks like a bit or 2 flipped in the config.

Factory reset doesn't have Winbox/MAC discovery on the ether1/uplink in their default configs. A quirk I noticed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

Factory reset doesn't have Winbox/MAC discovery on the ether1/uplink in their default configs. A quirk I noticed.

Huh, thanks I need to check this.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

redeyes posted:

Huh, thanks I need to check this.

This is why when I get stock firmware I plug into ether2 and connect via Winbox/MAC. Then I tell the router to do a full system wipe with no backup config:

/system reset-configuration skip-backup=yes no-defaults=yes caps-mode=no keep-users=no

Then you can login via Winbox/MAC on any port, including ether1.

Basically you wanna wipe a Mikrotik to a clean slate before working on it-- if you do an /export it should show almost nothing after a full wipe.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So my saga of the odd IP address on a point 2 point antenna is solved. On my network I have a couple HAP Lites in bridge/AP mode for wifi access points. One of the things blew a gasket (I have no idea what really happened), and turned its DHCP server on with corrupt data. I was checking network packets and saw rough DHCP stuff flying around.

Aaaand onto my next problem.. It's loving weird, my network has been chugging along with no problems until a recent power blip and then nothing but bugs. Anyhow NOW my RB951G-2HnD is rebooting itself every hour'ish with these kind of messages:
system error critical - router was rebooted without a proper shutdown
kernel failure in previous boot

I'm just not sure how to try and fix this.

[edit] figured out how to revert to 6.40.8 (bugfix) and... nope still crashing. Going to have to nuke the setup and try again I guess.

[final edit] cpu was overclocked somehow, set back to 600mhz, done

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 21, 2018

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Weird frequent reboots are usually (in my experience) power supply or flash chips going bad. Although bad flash usually also manifests as configs disappearing.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
MikroTik devices compromised by suspected Russian government botnet. Just another day in Latvia!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I saw this. I hope there is a way to detect the thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This VPNFilter thing reminded me that somebody was trying to tell me that they didn't need to worry about their firewall vendor closing shop and nobody else taking over support and updates for the product, because if a port wasn't open then the device couldn't be exploited. He also claims to be flown around by one of the world's largest telecoms companies to give keynote talks about firewalls, though no evidence of that exists in anywhere that Google can index.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=134776

quote:

Cisco informed us on May 22nd of 2018, that a malicious tool was found on several manufacturer devices, including three devices made by MikroTik. We are highly certain that this malware was installed on these devices through a vulnerability in MikroTik RouterOS software, which was already patched by MikroTik in March 2017. Simply upgrading RouterOS software deletes the malware, any other 3rd party files and closes the vulnerability. Let us know if you need more details. Upgrading RouterOS is done by a few clicks and takes only a minute.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I feel sorry for people mashing “update” in RouterOS and just expecting everything to carry on working.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel sorry for people mashing “update” in RouterOS and just expecting everything to carry on working.

meh... sometimes you're the ip, sometimes you're the tables.
I feel bad for the people who just inherited a mess of poorly implemented mikrotik as edge devices in some shoddy small business network architecture who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and have a boss who caught wind of the article, take it upon himself to winbox into all of said devices and mash update buttons without notifying anyone beneath him(or her.)

Also MikroTik did cover this like 3 months ago, so I feel like that's enough lead time to have sorted things out, no?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I asked this somewhere else but no response yet--

So the hEX and hEX S have an overall max power PoE of 5W/11W respectively, but the hAP AC has 17W. The cAP AC and wAP AC are listed as 13W/12W- does this mean those APs won't work on the hEX units?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are those cAP and wAP AC power consumption figures including powering a device on their PoE out ports?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Are those cAP and wAP AC power consumption figures including powering a device on their PoE out ports?

edit- Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I've been reading the specifications incorrectly. I believe the max power consumption figure is the entire unit's power consumption- has nothing to do with PoE itself.

With that said, anyone know when the hEX S is coming out?

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 6, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just rebooted my 5Ghz RB911G AP and suddenly it has a password I don't know. This makes me unhappy. It has always lived behind my firewall

[edit] Well that is loving nice, its got an unknown default password now, after a reset. I did the 6.43r23 firmware.

[edit] Aaand all I had to do was upgrade Winbox. It was telling me I had the wrong password before (there was none).

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

edit- Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I've been reading the specifications incorrectly. I believe the max power consumption figure is the entire unit's power consumption- has nothing to do with PoE itself.

With that said, anyone know when the hEX S is coming out?

It's in stock - https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/mt-hex/routerboard-hex-s

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005

redeyes posted:

I just rebooted my 5Ghz RB911G AP and suddenly it has a password I don't know. This makes me unhappy. It has always lived behind my firewall

[edit] Well that is loving nice, its got an unknown default password now, after a reset. I did the 6.43r23 firmware.

[edit] Aaand all I had to do was upgrade Winbox. It was telling me I had the wrong password before (there was none).

This poo poo hosed me up to, instead of prompting the winbox update like it had in the past. You're not alone. I nuked my TIK back to default and when it still wouldn't let me in, I realized it was Winbox. Hooray for backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Atreus posted:

This poo poo hosed me up to, instead of prompting the winbox update like it had in the past. You're not alone. I nuked my TIK back to default and when it still wouldn't let me in, I realized it was Winbox. Hooray for backups.

Yep. And of course this after the 4th tik router someone brought back to me claiming they had 'forgot their password or something'. I was starting to think hacks were afoot.