Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hyperoptic are awesome. See a problem/opportunity and instead of endless whinging to Ofcom via press releases they just get on and prove that they had the right ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hello I live in the centre of the the largest city on my continent and the fastest speed available to me is 24mbps down.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Steakandchips posted:

I used to live next to City Airport in London. I had Hyperoptic Internet, 1gbps both up and downstream.

I now live out in the sticks in Scotland. 80mbps down, 20 up.

Ugh. I went from having forgotten that things actually take time to download and not caring about ever saturating the connection to... well things taking up to half an hour to download and settling bandwidth limits on servers...

Sigh.

On the plus side: you are now surrounded by friendly sheep instead of City Wankers. That's got to be worth something.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghostlight posted:

Hello I live in the centre of the the largest city on my continent and the fastest speed available to me is 24mbps down.

Lagos?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I used to live next to City Airport in London. I had Hyperoptic Internet, 1gbps both up and downstream.

Ugh. I went from having forgotten that things actually take time to download and not caring about ever saturating the connection to... well things taking up to half an hour to download and settling bandwidth limits on servers...

Sigh.

I used to live over the river from you.

Now I'm in the home counties and I barely get 40Mb :(

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

spog posted:

On the plus side: you are now surrounded by friendly sheep instead of City Wankers. That's got to be worth something.

Wouldn’t move back for a big clock, aye.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I used to live over the river from you.

Now I'm in the home counties and I barely get 40Mb :(

Near King George V station? I looked around there but the area seemed a bit run down compared to the newer developments north of it.

How did you find it? Safe? Noisy?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Near King George V station? I looked around there but the area seemed a bit run down compared to the newer developments north of it.

How did you find it? Safe? Noisy?

Woolwich.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Sigh.

You are on my fury list now too.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Singapore I had 1Gbit at home. Now I make due with a meagre 20/2Mbps

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Singaporean 1gbit was to Singaporean servers. Not to overseas ones.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Woops double post.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kensei posted:

Anyone else going to Ignite? I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Just getting caught up on the thread. Got my approval and registered this week.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Auckland.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tomapot posted:

Just getting caught up on the thread. Got my approval and registered this week.

Seems like there's a few of us! I'd be down for a drink or whatever.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

New Zealand is a continent? Surely you meant islet.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I have evolved. The last 8 tickets in a row have resolved themselves with my mere proximity to the affected devices.

Bow, peons.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice, when are you quitting your crapjob and joining the newjob?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I have evolved. The last 8 tickets in a row have resolved themselves with my mere proximity to the affected devices.

Bow, peons.

This is how I have always been. I call it my Magic IT Aura.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:siren: I'm finally a real IT man :siren:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

larchesdanrew posted:

Bow, peons.

I have had 3 tickets today like that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

chin up everything sucks posted:

This is how I have always been. I call it my Magic IT Aura.

The term I'm familiar with is "the knack": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren: I'm finally a real IT man :siren:

No "and revert back", doesn't count. :colbert:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

No "and revert back", doesn't count. :colbert:

If you have any doubts, please ask them. Virtually all the Indians I work with now use doubts instead of questions

edit: Also no tickets came in, since it was a public holiday in the countries I support.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sprechensiesexy posted:

If you have any doubts, please ask them. Virtually all the Indians I work with now use doubts instead of questions

See, I see that one more from LatAm clients myself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I found something you guys might need:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

um, I call bullshit, we're only on windows 10, so 95 is a long way away unless they start doing Chrome-style versioning.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm on 50mbps for Comcast. I max at around 2.9mbps/sec Steam or otherwise direct downloads.

Maybe I'm just old but I still remember modem download speeds, and I can live with what I'm getting pretty happily.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I found something you guys might need:

Gotcha covered.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

:perfect:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What, really? I am in Greymouth and could have gigabit down fibre. If I was in the fibre area. Work runs 2 gigabit lines. Sadly my house is outside the zone so have to make do with 40/10 vdsl.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I was under the impression that NZ had done a fibre rollout the right way, and 'Straya had hosed it up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ Yes. VDSL isn't available because of some excuse about the quality of the copper in the building, and fibre hasn't been run. :v:

Volguus posted:

New Zealand is a continent? Surely you meant islet.
I was being overdramatic, but we're on Zealandia which is either a microcontinent or a submerged continent depending on your scientific views.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghostlight posted:

^^^ Yes. VDSL isn't available because of some excuse about the quality of the copper in the building, and fibre hasn't been run. :v:

I was being overdramatic, but we're on Zealandia which is either a microcontinent or a submerged continent depending on your scientific views.

I still think you're just in Lagos. :colbert:

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

You're too far away from your local cabinet and your building owners are too cheap or too lazy to have fibre conduit run through the building. (I work for Spark)

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Had to fix our own exchange server. The front-end connector broke causing mail to not come in.

Once I figured that out and got it fixed I discovered that when one of my coworkers accidentally all the firewall rules and NAT policies he didn't put the LDAPS policies back in. This caused our Roaring Penguin spam filter to stop delivering messages as it was unable to reach our AD server to figure out where to route mail.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Bro they have better internet in Old Zealand

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Bro they have better internet in Old Zealand

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.

That's not where Old Zealand is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Yup. :smug: