Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

admiral 'winning' nguyen refers to the jimenez as a 'loving pt boat', so it probably lacked the defenses to stop the missile. as for everyone else just kinda sitting around, watching it happen... that's rings true as human nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

drewhead posted:

So IFF safeties on defensive weapons is cool so you don't shoot down your own fleets ordinance, but not on the offensive weapons so you don't accidentally blow your own fleet up during the battle?
Seems pretty weak. All things are possible through the giant hand of plot device though.

I'm not surprised that the Admiral had the power to override the safeties and that the PT boat captain probably couldn't. Or that they hadn't turned all of that stuff on yet, he may have been giving the order to arm the PDCs when the torpedo exploded.

I loved this episode, these scenes were great, and even though they made us hate Nguyen even more, I loved that they had his staff officer humanize him with the War story...

Even Mao is, on some level, doing what he things is best. Even the bad guys think they are the good guys!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As a book reader I kinda know everything that's gonna happen but my girlfriend and I haven't started S3 yet so I have major FOMO from not watching

thats my story, tune in next week

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phi230 posted:

As a book reader I kinda know everything that's gonna happen but my girlfriend and I haven't started S3 yet so I have major FOMO from not watching

thats my story, tune in next week

Hey you should watch the show so it gets renewed! :sun:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey you should watch the show so it gets renewed! :sun:

I already bought it on amazon

I'm doing my part!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I loved this episode, these scenes were great, and even though they made us hate Nguyen even more, I loved that they had his staff officer humanize him with the War story...

Yeah, I liked that this gave us some reason why some of the crew was willing to follow Nguyen even once it became clear that he was a little on the shady side. Too often scenes like that are staged with a bunch of sleazeballs who are obviously "bad guys" that side with the evil admiral because he's an obvious "bad guy" who lets them get away with "bad stuff".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Collateral posted:

One of things that has really mystified me about Earth Fleet, is that the talk about having the numbers but their ships are old with old tech. Those fighter sized ships that took out the Martian Flag Ship were built on earth?

Does earth not have a massive and mature spaceship manufacturing base or did they just stop building ships? Did they just think, nah we got enough.

You would think they would keep churning those fuckers out, with revisions and updates, all the time. Like every modern navy known to man in the history of mankind.

Fighter sized ships? I must have missed that

e: somebody already addressed that lol

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 10, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such thing as a fighter sized ship in the expanse universe

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Between this show and Barry, it must be "insane episode" week. That was crazy and I can't wait for next Wednesday. I understand why they did it, but I hate when lovely people pull the "once a lovely thing happened me, that's my excuse for being lovely now" pity party.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Are they now allowed to drop more f-bombs than usual on this show? I counted two in this episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apparently they have carte blanche on the swearing now. Probably can't say oval office but otherwise yeah.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone is getting more lax with language now. There are no rules for cable, they just have to please the sponsors. If the sponsors don't care about swear words, then we'll get swears.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assumed that Souther was in charge of some old crumbling fleet, on account of him being a disgraced admiral after resigning in protest last season (or the season before). Like, Earth has newer ships too, but those are placed under the command of navy officers who didn't personally piss off the UN leadership.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I don't swear.... but I know all the words ;)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I think it was very clever of the writers to posit that the Mormons would be the first to waste their uncountable wealth on such an expedition.

Mormon's have historically had a reputation of outward expansion and not always for missionary purposes (I think sometimes they just got the boot). There's a good reason they're a very background staple in "space as frontier" fiction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mormon's have historically had a reputation of outward expansion and not always for missionary purposes (I think sometimes they just got the boot). There's a good reason they're a very background staple in "space as frontier" fiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J206CKoG1R0

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What did they launch them hybrids at from IO?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Admiral Win launched them to his ship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's what I thought, though they sure as hell look like they're being launched for attack rather than transport.

Also, Nguyen has no where to go. Maybe he could get away with shooting Southren and taking the ship by force, but summery executions and firing on withdrawing ships on your own side are not going to fly, no matter who's got your back. Errinwright sure as hell isn't going to bat for a rogue officer who snapped and started killing his own troops. Nguyen gets thrown under the bus as soon as he shows up.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Hexel posted:

What did they launch them hybrids at from IO?

Mars.

He knows he's turbofucked so he's taking mars out with him.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hey come to think of it: how did Ana get ahold of that recording? I thought she got it from the Martian crew but the next ep makes clear they hadnt sent it yet

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Hey come to think of it: how did Ana get ahold of that recording? I thought she got it from the Martian crew but the next ep makes clear they hadnt sent it yet

The Roci sent it after Avasarala convinced Holden to do it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, and its going to be EVERYWHERE. There is no way Mars isn't going to be broadcasting it 24/7 or whatever time scale they use as it makes them clearly the victim in the war, undermines the UN's authority and shakes the moral of the entire planet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You mean you aren’t expecting Earth to call it fake news and say it’s obviously a mars forgery?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

You mean you aren’t expecting Earth to call it fake news and say it’s obviously a mars forgery?

They can call it what they want, but not everyones going to believe it. Plus the fact Ana already had it will add credence. Not to mention I cannot imagine everyone in the UN Loves the SecGen and Errinwright so much they'll just accept it and not use it to bring them down.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

Like, Earth has newer ships too, but those are placed under the command of navy officers who didn't personally piss off the UN leadership.

enough time has passed in the war to safely say all those officers and ships are dead.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
As a book reader, there's been a lot of changes lately, and they have all been really good and enjoyable. I think this last episode was essentially entirely new/remixed stuff and it was fantastic.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

JossiRossi posted:

As a book reader, there's been a lot of changes lately, and they have all been really good and enjoyable. I think this last episode was essentially entirely new/remixed stuff and it was fantastic.

It's kinda been like that the entire time. They've brought a lot of stuff in earlier than the books and moved stuff around a bit. Avasarala is a good example, but there was stuff like more tension between holden and amos, dawes has a much bigger role, the whole plot with fred johnson.

It flows better this way, imo.

So will Thomas Jane be back next episode or in 2?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, and its going to be EVERYWHERE. There is no way Mars isn't going to be broadcasting it 24/7 or whatever time scale they use as it makes them clearly the victim in the war, undermines the UN's authority and shakes the moral of the entire planet.

It does implicate Mars a little though- the Martian secdef or whatever was dealing with protogen as well, so there's a possibility they think it's too sensitive to broadcast publicly. Ana's probably gonna spread it everywhere though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
also im rewatching from season one and i really hope we go back to ceres at some point

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

It does implicate Mars a little though- the Martian secdef or whatever was dealing with protogen as well, so there's a possibility they think it's too sensitive to broadcast publicly. Ana's probably gonna spread it everywhere though

IDK, if you could say that you're the victim of an illegal war started under false pretenses to clean up a treasonous conspiracy and all you had to do was admit some dead and/or inconsequential people on your side were in on it, I'd say it's worth it.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-canceled-syfy-after-three-seasons-to-be-shopped-1202388026/

That's it for the Expanse on SyFy, Alcon's shopping it elsewhere though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that shoots the "they are shooting season 3 and 4 at the same time" thing in the rear end. Netflix would be stupid to not pick this up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone better pick this up :argh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe the next place will sell some Expanse merchandise like that coffee mug.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Motherfuck you, NBC Universal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Well, hopefully digital sales or DVR numbers will convince netflix/hulu/amazon they want to buy up the show. Pre-made content getting rave reviews...seems like a no-brainer.

What a bed-time bummer. :smith:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Fortunately, the production set up makes the Expanse super portable. Basically Alcon paid for the show itself, and just sold the broadcast rights, which is why SyFy only gave a poo poo about live viewing numbers. (Essentially, stuff like buying the show online or buying the blu-rays didn't really help SyFy at all.) All they need to do is find somebody who wants to pay to broadcast it, and well, I think Netflix already pays for the international distribution rights so hopefully they'll wake the gently caress up and put this show in their stable.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

There's some irony in a scifi show being cancelled because the people in charge are living in the past. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is my favorite show right now and I hope it all works out.