Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like the situation that Ismail described was at best collaborationism, where developers could see EA or Activision were holding guns to their head and it was like "monetize or die" so they came up with microtransaction schemes. He didn't even say it was good but something that people were forced to do because of the AAA pubs
this is the poo poo I was talking about before though, its like saying "ah well they have to make movies incredibly lovely now, think of the international gross". its not your place as a consumer to care about the machinations of capitalists, only if the end result of the production is good or bad. you can definitely sympathize with the lovely situation that the workers are put in, but ultimately they're making bad, exploitative products and if that's what the game industry aspires to then maybe there shouldn't be a game industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

it's cool that the western industry voices speaking out about how we need more mid-budget games all ignore the flood of mid-budget japanese games that get localized, several of which have received widespread popularity

also western developers should make more mid-budget games

ig I'm being an apologist here, but it might be the thing where people assume any game by a big company (ie. Square since I see nier usually named in the sort of discussion you're talking about) is AAA by default and also maybe there's a factor of intentionality at play? Cus there's a difference between suggesting big corps make smaller projects and tiny niche devs making mid-tier games just due to their budgetary limits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe if devs focused less on modeling the finest detail on individual strands of hair moderns games wouldn't take so long and be so expensive to make.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe if devs focused less on modeling the finest detail on individual strands of hair moderns games wouldn't take so long and be so expensive to make.

I’m still waiting for someone to make an expansive and complex open world game with essentially gta3-tier graphics.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

univbee posted:

I’m still waiting for someone to make an expansive and complex open world game with essentially gta3-tier graphics.

Yeah I'm hoping we start getting a general reacceptance of PS2 era graphical fidelity so games can be fun again.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm very excited about the upcoming psx nostalgia graphics renaissance

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah I'm hoping we start getting a general reacceptance of PS2 era graphical fidelity so games can be fun again.

As a Mega Man Legends fan I agree

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I'm very excited about the upcoming psx nostalgia graphics renaissance

we need a 2nd wave of fixed angle survival horror games ASAP

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

yeah honestly the only graphical thing that's hard to go back to in old games is the low resolution of the display, not the texture quality or polygon count. PS2 rendered at 1080 looks perfectly fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Two worlds was years ago

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

we need a 2nd wave of fixed angle survival horror games ASAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tEQXUBQjpY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How much does Gamecube Wind Waker-esque cel shading cost

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

Do gamers even reject games of a lower graphic quality? I feel like the modern graphics race has been created entirely by the industry and is a burden they impose on themselves. Nintendo has never been on the cutting edge of the graphics in recent years and they still sell plenty of games. Once we got out of the early 3D era I feel like graphics really dropped off in importance as the rate of the advancement became less and less obvious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

How much does Gamecube Wind Waker-esque cel shading cost

Hat in Time requested 30k, got 300k on kickstarter and it looks basically like Wind Waker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cel shading is the only way to make anything look timeless

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The AAA third party bread and butter are sports games and shooters, and incremental graphic improvements are an easy way to market yearly churn

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What is digital devil saga's art style?

I remembered it as being cel-shaded but I looked at some screenshots just now and it definitely doesn't have the thick outlines you'd see with cel-shading.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cursed

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Cel shading is the only way to make anything look timeless

Just good art design in general will do it. A lot of GameCube games still look great just upscaled in Dolphin because they had great design despite the lower fidelity output - Timespitters 2-3, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario 2 etc. all look great without needing any added modern effects.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
re: accepting ps2-level graphics in modern games, all of falcom's newer games look like they were released midway into the ps2's life with cold steel 3 being their fanciest one and at most looking like it's an early ps3 game, and they're the most successful games falcom has released in years

all of these games have been released later than 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

*Rami Ismail voice* yeah but have you considered that these companies literally couldn't survive without lootboxes and you're killing the industry

if true then let it die

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

univbee posted:

There's this little thing called Dwarf Fortress

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

all media is bad and you're bad for consuming it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think if you drop a bomb there you might be able to get her out without setting off the tnt, but it depends on the debris from the explosion.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People seemed to get pretty worked up about the graphics in KoFXIV/MvCI

and ken's face in SF5

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good graphics own quite frankly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What is digital devil saga's art style?

I remembered it as being cel-shaded but I looked at some screenshots just now and it definitely doesn't have the thick outlines you'd see with cel-shading.
idk, its just simple textures and not-quite-flat shading, more than anything it just looks like kaneko's concept art. "cel shading" was more useful as a term in the days of fixed function graphics pipelines IMO, because it was just a weird hack with a specific technique and look. on a system with a configurable pipeline and shaders (ps2 didn't have so much of the latter but hella of the former) things can look pretty much how ever you want it to look so "cel shading" becomes a more nebulous idea with a lot of possible variation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Convex posted:

Just good art design in general will do it. A lot of GameCube games still look great just upscaled in Dolphin because they had great design despite the lower fidelity output - Timespitters 2-3, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario 2 etc. all look great without needing any added modern effects.

kirby's return to dream land is kind of an insanely beautiful game in hd

but even more than that viewtiful joe deserves a goddamn hd rerelease

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rami ismail seems like a cool person

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nice, i love indie, early access, roguelike

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Good shout, I'm playing Kirby through Dolphin right now and it looks amazing.

killer7 also looks great in HD, hope it gets that rerelease the creator hinted at a few months back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think rami also made distribute() which is basically a way for indie devs to circulate PR, press kits, and even steam keys to Youtubers who request and provide credentials

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

hype for the wiiu version

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

if this is where the psx revolution must begin, so be it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think rami also made distribute() which is basically a way for indie devs to circulate PR, press kits, and even steam keys to Youtubers who request and provide credentials

The class traitor greases the wheel of capitalism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i support a future where every game looks like r-type delta in hd with widescreen

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2018/05/open-letter-to-apb-reloaded-community.html

APB, the dead game you didn't realise still existed but was also dying a slow slow death has once again been dragged out of the doldrums of condemnation by another brave, brave publisher. They're hoping to finish the fabled engine upgrade to Unreal 4 and give it a bunch new content and so on.

Yes the game sucked but it was also real fun and had some great moments and the customization is still some of the best in gaming. Let's see if APB's third chance pays off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

yeah Slay the Spire owns

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Songbearer posted:

http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2018/05/open-letter-to-apb-reloaded-community.html

APB, the dead game you didn't realise still existed but was also dying a slow slow death has once again been dragged out of the doldrums of condemnation by another brave, brave publisher. They're hoping to finish the fabled engine upgrade to Unreal 4 and give it a bunch new content and so on.

Yes the game sucked but it was also real fun and had some great moments and the customization is still some of the best in gaming. Let's see if APB's third chance pays off.

Third time's the charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

yeah Slay the Spire owns

Is that out of EA yet

• Locked thread