Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Thanks for doing this, Fedule! The persistence involved was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A while back I briefly looked up characters (I think from 999) and found Junpei Tenmyouji, and posted something in the thread about that when I realized that hey, I don't think the game has actually made that revelation yet. So I edited it out :v:

I knew Junpei was in this game for a while but I really didn't expect all this mess. So neato! I'm vaguely curious to try out ZTD but I'm worried my brain will glaze over.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The biggest culture shock going into ZTD is probably the fact that it's very much an M-rated game due to pretty much being Saw mixed with Zero Escape. If it wasn't so graphically crude it'd be a legitimately disturbing game at times, and it can get pretty nasty even as it is. It's a fairly sharp turn from the relatively clean and gore-free VLR, so if you're real squeamish it can be more difficult to get through than this game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ZTD is maybe a bit more graphic, but still the series has previous with Axe-murderer Clover, severed hands/arms, everyone dying in a murder-suicide pact etc.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Or more like Kyle Klim (since he'd have Sigma's last name?).

Given the events in her ending and how close she got to Sigma, I'm pretty sure it's Sigma she's in love with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanfy posted:

The biggest culture shock going into ZTD is probably the fact that it's very much an M-rated game due to pretty much being Saw mixed with Zero Escape. If it wasn't so graphically crude it'd be a legitimately disturbing game at times, and it can get pretty nasty even as it is. It's a fairly sharp turn from the relatively clean and gore-free VLR, so if you're real squeamish it can be more difficult to get through than this game.

We need a Zero Escape thread so I can list my many problems with ZTD.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's probably referring to sigma klim.

Whereas Phi is just about confused about why Luna loves milk so much

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

We need a Zero Escape thread so I can list my many problems with ZTD.

We had one but it's fallen into the archives in the 2 years since the game came out.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... in the end, was Phi in on... well, anything? The Phi we spent most of the game with, that is. Or was she just a (to her knowledge) a completely unrelated person until future!Phi jumped into her body, got her(self) frozen and transported to the moon and then left her to deal with all this poo poo?

Man, even TALKING about this game gives me a headache.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aumanor posted:

Or was she just a (to her knowledge) a completely unrelated person until future!Phi jumped into her body, got her(self) frozen and transported to the moon and then left her to deal with all this poo poo?

Correct.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you're not all too busy buying and playing ZTD or planning to LP it, and you still have a hankering for cool, weird, slightly clunky games about escaping from places with interesting plots and really good voice acting, I've found a new thing to share with you all while I file the bureaucracy to have this all archived.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

If you're not all too busy buying and playing ZTD or planning to LP it, and you still have a hankering for cool, weird, slightly clunky games about escaping from places with interesting plots and really good voice acting, I've found a new thing to share with you all while I file the bureaucracy to have this all archived.

I'm going to follow this thread just so I'll eventually have a place to gripe about the one part that extremely pissed me off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aumanor posted:

So... in the end, was Phi in on... well, anything? The Phi we spent most of the game with, that is. Or was she just a (to her knowledge) a completely unrelated person until future!Phi jumped into her body, got her(self) frozen and transported to the moon and then left her to deal with all this poo poo?

Phi is very complicated to talk about. ZTD does address her, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Aumanor posted:

Yeah Phi's full deal is addressed in ZTD, but as far as VLR is concerned the Phi which you meet at the beginning of the game is, I believe, "Point A" Phi.

As mentioned by Akane, she doesn't have as good recall of her memories from other timelines, though, which is why she remembers Sigma's name but not much else. Her consciousness jumps back at the end of the game from Point C to Point D (at which point in time she has already been frozen iirc - or it's at least the day she is frozen). She then remains frozen for 45 years until Point B, when her consciousness swaps places with her Point A self.

The only exception is, I think, during Dio's ending, when Phi from the Cyan timeline (or maybe a different timeline which isn't shown in the game) jumps in to get a Bomb password. I'm not sure the other side of this is shown in the game though? So maybe it's definitely not her from the Cyan timeline.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rereading this LP back to back with the inevitable ZTD LP is going to put so many things in place.

What a clever writer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah, I just finished rereading 999 and have been rereading VLR.
I do not like 999 as much as VLR. There's less for the characters to discuss and less going on. I had forgotten a lot of things going on there.
Like there's 15 pages of Fedule posts and he participates in discussion a lot, so I still got to laugh a second time at Alice being a goddamn contrarian, changing her vote, and then Fedule having to say he has to make a new update to stop the shitfit the thread was throwing.
It is interesting, though to reread VLR knowing what we know now. And what we know we won't learn, like seeing the few clues given about Phi but knowing that we never get a definitive answer about it. I had forgotten a lot.
I'd say 999 is a good game, but VLR is a GREAT game. Looking forward to getting to ZTD

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Just play ZTD guys. It’s right there on Steam. I wonder if VLRs sales were reduced by the fact that when it came out, YouTubing it was instant view figures.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VLR did just fine in the west. It was low domestic sales in Japan that killed the series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thank you very much for all your hard work giving us this LP, Fedule. I've remained unspoiled all this time and it was one hell of a ride and all totally worth it. :)

That said, I feel like Junpei's a tragic figure in all this. He survived an apocalypse for decades, got lured into another Nonary game because he was told Akane was there, and then he found out she became someone ruthlessly pragmatic and would do anything for the greater good. The worst part is that she could have contacted him at any point and asked for his help, but didn't, because apparently that's not what the timeline she saw wanted. :smith:

Also, man, Quark really feels underutilized, huh? It's weird that he spends most of the time either sick or in one of the pods. I thought maybe there would be something more to him, but nope, he's just a regular kid.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My other pet theory was that our Clover was a Brother-controlled clone/gaulem/etc due to the kidnap and rescue story, I'm surprised how unused her backstory was

Drufle
Dec 15, 2010
I was always under the impression that Quark is sidelined so often because they didn't want to have to constantly murder a child on-screen.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Drufle posted:

I was always under the impression that Quark is sidelined so often because they didn't want to have to constantly murder a child on-screen.

In fact, they go to lengths to never show Quark dead. The only times Quark dies is when the facility explodes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

Thank you very much for all your hard work giving us this LP, Fedule. I've remained unspoiled all this time and it was one hell of a ride and all totally worth it. :)

That said, I feel like Junpei's a tragic figure in all this. He survived an apocalypse for decades, got lured into another Nonary game because he was told Akane was there, and then he found out she became someone ruthlessly pragmatic and would do anything for the greater good. The worst part is that she could have contacted him at any point and asked for his help, but didn't, because apparently that's not what the timeline she saw wanted. :smith:

Also, man, Quark really feels underutilized, huh? It's weird that he spends most of the time either sick or in one of the pods. I thought maybe there would be something more to him, but nope, he's just a regular kid.

Akane didn't exactly fare much better either - she basically had to go 45 years through the same apocalypse without contacting Junpei despite being able to, just for the chance to save the world, and knowing that she has a very real chance of dying in most timelines (even if you know that you'd 'live' in the true timeline, it's still pretty frightening to steel yourself about it).

At least Junpei eventually found Quark. It sounds like Akane only got a respite when she was working with Sigma on the moon and got to act mom to him and K.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Materant posted:

In fact, they go to lengths to never show Quark dead. The only times Quark dies is when the facility explodes.

And the Clover ending, no?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
He isnt in the bloody massacre image tho

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Akane didn't exactly fare much better either - she basically had to go 45 years through the same apocalypse without contacting Junpei despite being able to, just for the chance to save the world, and knowing that she has a very real chance of dying in most timelines (even if you know that you'd 'live' in the true timeline, it's still pretty frightening to steel yourself about it).

The same is true of 999. Akane had to set up the original Nonary Game in multiple different timelines without knowing how things would play out. The younger Akane just got information from the most successful branch to give to her universe's Junpei.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Habnabit posted:

this plus the answers in the general theme of "idk; use your imagination" are kind of refreshing to see from a content creator. people want hard, definitive canons from primary sources, and: gently caress that.

The problem with the (Metaphorical) Death of the Author is that it also (Metaphorically) murders the reader: after all, if the reader is supposed to come up with their own interpretation(s), then they've become an author, and their take--no matter how well-argued or well-supported by the text itself or by the fans--is no more valid than any other. The author can absolutely intend to communicate something--just because they may not have done a good job doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater and declare open season on their work.

It's fine to play in someone else's sandbox--telling, and then re-telling, one another's stories is as old as mankind itself--but if you want an endless space of infinite possibilities to explore, do it on a blank canvas.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 9, 2018

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

lift your skinny fists like
antennas in germany.

dotchan posted:

The problem with the (Metaphorical) Death of the Author is that it also (Metaphorically) murders the reader: after all, if the reader is supposed to come up with their own interpretation(s), then they've become an author, and their take--no matter how well-argued or well-supported by the text itself or by the fans--is no more valid than any other. The author can absolutely intend to communicate something--just because they may not have done a good job doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater and declare open season on their work.

It's fine to play in someone else's sandbox--telling, and then re-telling, one another's stories is as old as mankind itself--but if you want an endless space of infinite possibilities to explore, do it on a blank canvas.

sure. in this context in particular, the Q&A is a huge pile of, like, "hey, explain or create some canon for me thanks". not every bit of flavor in the game needs or has a deep backstory, and i appreciate the writer saying "well, here's a thought" as a peer instead of establishing something that's Official Canon. i like this more than, say, rowling's attitude.

i mean, the Q&A does offer some definitive answers and clarifications, which is fine. i just appreciate that it's not all Official Canon.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just binged through the last several updates.

I can't believe it's really over.

Thanks a bunch for sticking to this for so many years Fedule. Now I just have to try and mentally process all those ending reveals. I like to imagine this is the closest experience possible to actually playing through the game and getting hit with them all at once.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 19, 2018

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wow, never thought I'd see the day, Fedule. :suspense:

Bravo, well done, bravo! Now go indulge in the vice of your choice to all known limitations!

E: Also recommend sending this thread to the Goldmine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wow, never thought I'd see the day, Fedule. :suspense:

Bravo, well done, bravo! Now go indulge in the vice of your choice to all known limitations!

E: Also recommend sending this thread to the Goldmine.

That's nice of you to say, but this thread is definitely not going to the goldmine. It will be going to the LP Archive when I get my poo poo together, though.

(LP Threads are very, very rarely goldmined, for a couple of reasons which have shifted in priority order somewhat over the years but are all basically still true. The big one, though, is that the goldmine exists so that incredibly good threads remain freely accessible forever (ie, they will never be paywalled or require an archive account), but the LP Archive makes basically every SA LP available forever anyway. I only know of three LP threads which were goldmined; supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition, Chip & Ironicus' Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Covski's Rock Paper Scissors.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
RPS was an amazing piece of performance art. Why were the other two gilded?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't know if there's other reasons, but if I remember right Revengance was the game where one of them turned it into a full tutorial. Really breaking down the combat and timing and a whole bunch of stuff that the game itself doesn't tell you (a recurring flaw in Platinum games).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'd thought that Scorchy's KOTOR2 LP was goldmined, but that might just be wistful nostalgia on my part since it was why I bought an account in the first place.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

PMush Perfect posted:

RPS was an amazing piece of performance art. Why were the other two gilded?

The Deadly Premonition LP was just really good and there was a lot of really good fanart.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Let's Play Wanking Session and GIRL GAMES threads are goldmined too, though obviously not for being in-depth informative Let's Plays.

e: oh, Trespasser too of course

Polsy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 11, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Quality LP. Now, if only we can arrange it so Virtue has the last post, then this thread will have achieved everything it could hope to.

:colbert:

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
While this thread's bumped, it may be of interest to anyone unaware that Heckspawn has just started a Let's Play of Zero Time Dilemma, which should be fun. I don't think it's the best game in the series, necessarily, but it's my personal favourite.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rith posted:

While this thread's bumped, it may be of interest to anyone unaware that Heckspawn has just started a Let's Play of Zero Time Dilemma, which should be fun. I don't think it's the best game in the series, necessarily, but it's my personal favourite.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Alacron posted:

I'd thought that Scorchy's KOTOR2 LP was goldmined, but that might just be wistful nostalgia on my part since it was why I bought an account in the first place.

It was. I think it was removed since all the images in the thread broke. Same thing with GuavaMoment's X-COM Apocalypse thread. The Space Quest LP's still in the goldmine despite that though.

• Locked thread