Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A story where the Eighth Doctor does NOT get amnesia.

Although I always had an idea for a story where Peri's supposed background as a botanist came into play - someone is trying to come up with a workable hydroponics system for space travel but the soil he's using came from a centuries-old meteor strike...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

Although I always had an idea for a story where Peri's supposed background as a botanist came into play - someone is trying to come up with a workable hydroponics system for space travel but the soil he's using came from a centuries-old meteor strike...

Her stuff in "...ish" really surprised me. Plus, it's nice to see her and Six legitimately having fun together instead of constantly being at each other's throats.

CobiWann posted:

Oh now this is just implausible.

I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Mine doesn’t! But he does reference it...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Mine doesn’t! But he does reference it...

How would he know? :thunk:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

How would he know? :thunk:

Something something oddly-shaped gap in his memories?

"Interesting, there's enough space to fit Shada in here..."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ha, I just remembered the Big Finish story where the Eighth Doctor does not in any way have amnesia, but where a woman is convinced that he's her amnesiac husband.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Ha, I just remembered the Big Finish story where the Eighth Doctor does not in any way have amnesia, but where a woman is convinced that he's her amnesiac husband.

I liked that one! I can't remember the name of it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I liked that one! I can't remember the name of it.

Other Lives. (I had to look it up too)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Incidentally, I just got some Big Finish time in while I was rearranging the bookshelves, and after hearing Relative Dimensions and Quinnis, I have determined that I really just like Carole Ann Ford's voice. She's like Colin, Tom, and Frazer in that you want to hire them to read you your favorite books and do the voice acting for your favorite video games.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

She's like Colin, Tom, and Frazer in that you want to hire them to read you your favorite books and do the voice acting for your favorite video games.

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."
"Pile of secrets? Pile of secrets?!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Chokes McGee posted:

dear god i HEARD it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

dear god i HEARD it

I’m currently writing Six fanfic for an audio play company contest and wondering what twists and turns of my life led me here

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chokes McGee posted:

I’m currently writing Six fanfic for an audio play company contest and wondering what twists and turns of my life led me here

Yeah, sometimes its nice to think back about all the good decisions we made that lead us to our current happy state of being :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I know this was meant to be Colin but it also works for Tom

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I would go with a nonplussed "Oh, well...." instead as his reaction, but yeah :)

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, sometimes its nice to think back about all the good decisions we made that lead us to our current happy state of being :)

There's only one force in the universe that could cause a crude temporal blind spot to appear in the Fractal Empire of Phobetor, and—gods help me—I'm putting a Weeping Angel into this story. :gonk:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

I see they’re stretching the ‘Public Call’ bit of the Police Box text again. That’ll ruffle echoplex.

I am weirdly aggrieved by it, but it's not my business any more. I sort of know the guy doing it now but it'd be weird to even ask. Odd industry, this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MarkMorris10/status/994880882359111680

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Dangerouslytal/status/994892897848786944
Asking the real questions that need to be answered

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, is it owl weekend already?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ah, the 14th Doctor.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

What the gently caress? Tom Baker! :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the 14th Doctor.

Excuse me, sir, he prefers to be called the Curator. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the 14th Doctor.

Seen here with Tom Baker.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

Excuse me, sir, he prefers to be called the Curator. :colbert:

It was there all along and we never realized it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

It was there all along and we never realized it

:aaaaa:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
synopsis written, time to fill in this skeleton with lovely writing *cracks knuckles*

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

But he would say it at least four times with totally different tones and inflections, and each one would be absolutely right.

Then he'd ask K-9 if he thought he was a miserable pile of secrets. :3:

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Dangerouslytal/status/994892897848786944
Asking the real questions that need to be answered

Oh, Castellan Hootsworth was there the whole time, we just never saw Tom pull him out of his pocket onscreen.

BRB, emailing Big Finish.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

Oh, Castellan Hootsworth was there the whole time, we just never saw Tom pull him out of his pocket onscreen.

Frobisher workin the long con, I see

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

Frobisher workin the long con, I see

Stay out of my TXT files! :mad:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Then he'd ask K-9 if he thought he was a miserable pile of secrets. :3:

K-9: Affirmative that Master is often unhappy, secretive, and-
Doctor: Oh, Shut up, K-9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

K-9: Affirmative that Master is often unhappy, secretive, and-
Doctor: Oh, Shut up, K-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQ7X3wauRQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I've just found out that the 1966 Japanese film King Kong Returns features a villain called Dr Who, who happens to look like this. Hmmmm.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

So I've just found out that the 1966 Japanese film King Kong Returns features a villain called Dr Who, who happens to look like this. Hmmmm.

It's entirely unrelated sadly.

The more likely inspiration for the King Kong Doctor Who, who originated in a Japanese American Animated King Kong co-production between Rakin Bass and Toei a year before King Kong Escapes (the American title of KKR), would be Doctor No from James Bond.

Japan didn't super know what Doctor Who was at this point, as this thread has gone into before.

I will say though, Doctor Who from the animated series and Doctor Who from KK Returns/Escapes are very different looking characters.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like I’ve seen that man before but I’m pretty sure it’s just a weird psychological thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And then we learn that Doctor Who has in fact appeared in every single entertainment medium ever created, from cave paintings to whenever we get around to discarding our flesh and blood and become pure energy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I feel like I’ve seen that man before but I’m pretty sure it’s just a weird psychological thing.

Weirdly enough he puts me in mind of the Toymaker for some reason

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Since Big Finish launched an Eighth Doctor sale on the day I get paid, I just bought all four DARK EYES sets. How is it? And how much will it hurt the experience if I haven't listened to all of The Eighth Doctor Adventures?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Since Big Finish launched an Eighth Doctor sale on the day I get paid, I just bought all four DARK EYES sets. How is it? And how much will it hurt the experience if I haven't listened to all of The Eighth Doctor Adventures?

You do kind to have to know what happens at the end of the Adventures to know why the Doctor's in the mindset that he's in

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus, I am seven and a half year behind on Big Finish. I am literally never going to catch up, which, I guess, means that I will literally always have more Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Jesus, I am seven and a half year behind on Big Finish. I am literally never going to catch up, which, I guess, means that I will literally always have more Doctor Who.

:same:

Best time ever to be a Who fan!

• Locked thread