Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or just find 20 ppl to steal $10 from like a dingo stealing a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wangsbig posted:

where would you find ten people interested in that dvd

A bjj ... gym??

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Preposterous. Novody at BJJ gyms learn. They just smoke weed all day!

Also for real still looking for good knee support suggestions for rolling.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

where would you find ten people interested in that dvd

The SA Grappling forums?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

The SA Grappling forums?

:smugdon:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/BijQi6cl4u_/?taken-by=wyrdapparel

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stolen from r/BJJ and this is the first time anything on Reddit has actually made me laugh out loud.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Amaze.

Any update on the South American Ground Karate rashguard :haw:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

rofl

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Preposterous. Novody at BJJ gyms learn. They just smoke weed all day!

Also for real still looking for good knee support suggestions for rolling.

Wangsbig mentioned the Bauerfiend to me and it works mostly well. Kind of expensive. A guy I know bought some slider tight baseball spats that are full of cushioning and look real good. Check those out if you don't need stability but protection

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stability is what I'm looking for.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

4 hours into this Danaher DVD set. It's really good so far from a conceptual and technical standpoint

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

JaySB posted:

4 hours into this Danaher DVD set. It's really good so far from a conceptual and technical standpoint

How's the production quality?

I know it's r/bjj and reddit but posts were saying it's pretty low with audio issues, unnecessary zooms and bad filming.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

How's the production quality?

I know it's r/bjj and reddit but posts were saying it's pretty low with audio issues, unnecessary zooms and bad filming.

Yeah it's actually really bad. That being said, it doesn't detract from the fact that the information that is being conveyed is done so very articulately.

I'm not sure why everyone can't just produce videos like the Mendes brothers.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Has anyone ever trained at a Gracie Certified Training Center? Like how close to a McDojo is it? My options in South Carolina are fairly limited.

https://www.graciecolumbia.com/gracie-jiu-jitsu-lexington-sc-martial-arts-self-defense/

http://deepwatersjj.com

I know Guybson is legit but I'm not sure how they feel about Gracie students.
http://www.spartanacademymma.com

And there's another guy who supposedly trained with Pedro Valente.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Bad audio and video quality and costs a packet? Think I'll stick with Panther video's Kimo Fierce Fighting Destructive Foot, Leg and Ankle locks.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

I'm not sure why everyone can't just produce videos like the Mendes brothers.

The Mendes Brothers gym is right next to the RVCA headquarters (a skate brand/fashion label) and the RVCA owners are all BJJ black belts, so i suspect the Mendes Brothers have access to a bunch of photographers and videographers that work at the highest levels of the sport and fashion industries. Having said that, it cant be that hard to set aside a well-lit spot, film your videos at the right time of day, and teach one of your students how to set the colours properly on a video camera.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

I know Guybson is legit but I'm not sure how they feel about Gracie students.
http://www.spartanacademymma.com

Like you think they won't let you drop in because of where you train at in Vegas? I haven't been to SC for a few years but this was the school I had decided to visit if I was to go down.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The Mendes Brothers gym is right next to the RVCA headquarters (a skate brand/fashion label) and the RVCA owners are all BJJ black belts, so i suspect the Mendes Brothers have access to a bunch of photographers and videographers that work at the highest levels of the sport and fashion industries. Having said that, it cant be that hard to set aside a well-lit spot, film your videos at the right time of day, and teach one of your students how to set the colours properly on a video camera.

These things all exist in Manhattan and many people with that knowledge probably even train with Danaher.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 10, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Like you think they won't let you drop in because of where you train at in Vegas? I haven't been to SC for a few years but this was the school I had decided to visit if I was to go down.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his stance is, I know he's not a huge fan of some of the newer Gracie generations outside of Kron. I e-mailed and ask about visitor policy but didn't say where I trained.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you own a company that makes jiu jitsu instructional videos and you plan to sell them for up to $200 you should probably be able to hire a competent videographer and editor.

As Neon said, it's not like there aren't tons of those people in the NY/NJ/MA area

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

danaher has acknowledged the issue on Instagram and is 'doing what he can to make it right' whatever that means

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

danaher has acknowledged the issue on Instagram and is 'doing what he can to make it right' whatever that means

And did so in response to a comment calling the sound quality on par with (and I quote) "a 2004 Al Qaeda video" :laugh:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The Mendes Brothers’ gym is right next to the RVCA headquarters (a skate brand/fashion label) and the RVCA owners are all BJJ black belts, so i suspect the Mendes Brothers’ have access to a bunch of photographers and videographers that work at the highest levels of the sport and fashion industries. Having said that, it can’t be that hard to set aside a well-lit spot, film your videos at the right time of day, and teach one of your students how to set the colours properly on a video camera.

Its not. Also NYC has tons of experienced film crews you can hire to do it all for you.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
I think the mendes bros have that stuff shot by the kid who runs their social media accounts. I don't think it's that hard with a good camera and a tripod as demonstrated by tons of youtube grappling instrucitonals, BJJfanatics has no excuse.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well they do. They hosed up by hiring a bad filming crew. Thats about the only excuse that is acceptable though.

If they don't pull the DVDs and re shoot them (sucks but if the quality is that bad then just do it), or more likely just lower the price then lol at them.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 10, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Looks like a new Quintet fight night is coming in 9 June

https://instagram.com/p/Bil6NoUl_sR/

Im still a grappling newbie so dont many names, but the format was fun last time around.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I spastically ordered the Danaher DVD by reflex before seeing the posts about the recording quality. The audio is horrific. Any BJJ technique video on YouTube has better production. I guess they're confident enough that the reputation built by DDS will get dudes like me to jump for it. It's crazy to think that they could've watched/listened to it themselves and thought "Yeah, that's good. Let's send it out like that." Eddie Bravo cranks out those Mastering the System videos regularly and the quality of those is fine (look into it). It's not hard.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Eddie Bravo cranks out those Mastering the System videos regularly and the quality of those is fine (look into it). It's not hard.

Those are actually a pretty good deal.

There is a section called "Nibiru Warriors" on the Rubber Guard series. I wonder wtf thats all about.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Those are actually a pretty good deal.

There is a section called "Nibiru Warriors" on the Rubber Guard series. I wonder wtf thats all about.

Yeah, Mastering the System is cheap and has great stuff, including updates to all of the things that he's sold on books and DVDs. I have a bunch of books and DVDs, but I honestly get more from the 10th planet subscription than anything else.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It blows my mind how bravo has so much attention to detail in some things yet is so ridiculous in others.

Like if you look at just his accomplishments...

Successful BJJ competitor
Very successful chain of gyms
Very successful marketing his system
Very successful BJJ tournaments
Very successful students
Apparently very high quality content production

And yet when you hear him talk about anything not BJJ you'd think he's one bad month from homeless or the asylum.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not really sure how much of that you can attribute to him personally other than his own competition success and the growth of his students.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

And yet when you hear him talk about anything not BJJ you'd think he's one bad month from homeless or the asylum.

You can really apply this to anyone whose high level in their field.

edit:

JaySB posted:

I'm not really sure how much of that you can attribute to him personally other than his own competition success and the growth of his students.

You couldn't have any of the above without being either good at marketing or knowing people who are good at that and delegating responsibilities to them.
Management is a skill set.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

You can really apply this to anyone whose high level in their field.

That isn't true at all.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That isn't true at all.

Anecdotal and full of hyperbole, but in my experience just because someone is really good at X doesn't make them intelligent in every field.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

You couldn't have any of the above without being either good at marketing or knowing people who are good at that and delegating responsibilities to them.
Management is a skill set.

Sure you can. Someone else could have easily come to him and said "Hey let me use your name to open a bunch of gyms, make videos, etc etc, I'll run it all and pay you/give you a percentage"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

RVCA is cool as hell because they sponsored a guy who is basically only known for being a surf local who beats up people who aren't good enough at surfing.

While we're talking paid resources, would AOJ's website be a worthwhile subscription for a white belt who should probably just be focusing on fundamentals?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 11, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

While we're talking paid resources, would AOJ's website be a worthwhile subscription for a white belt who should probably just be focusing on fundamentals?

I think their poo poo is really really cool and good. But I think that you can find plenty of good free resources on fundamentals on Youtube.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Eddie has access to LA marketing people and publicists. He's very well connected to people that have probably given him some help and some very good advice through the years.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I had nothing to do with the production but sorry about the sound quality. I would've told people to wait if I had any idea that the production quality was going to be poor. Not sure what happened there but I know they're going to address it somehow.

Also I visited Beta Academy in DC this week. Anyone train there. I should have asked beforehand but didn't really plan the visit.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Im convinced some of it is an act.