Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Super unimpressed by Charli XCX's opening setlist on the T-Swizzle tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/charli-xcx/2018/university-of-phoenix-stadium-glendale-az-6bedaa6e.html

It's an opening slot, be brave with the PC Music bangers and don't play all your normie tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

Super unimpressed by Charli XCX's opening setlist on the T-Swizzle tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/charli-xcx/2018/university-of-phoenix-stadium-glendale-az-6bedaa6e.html

It's an opening slot, be brave with the PC Music bangers and don't play all your normie tunes.

I was hoping for more Pop 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder if Grimes will pull a Taylor Swift and write a song about Elon Musk.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

really digging the new Chvrches single, Miracles.

https://youtu.be/e1YqueG2gtQ

Girls is now out

https://youtu.be/mdWcaWBxxcY

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 11, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Golden Hour, Rainbow and Joanne make for a really cool triptych of country/rock-infused pop music and i feel like the three artists (Kacey Musgraves, Kesha and Gaga) should totally tour together.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

My Queen just delivered a new arrangement for "You raise me up". <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_L9ofhUt8

So glad to see her still singing after all those health problems.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Oh man it's so good.

exquisite tea posted:

Sigrid is really cool and I think most of this thread would like her stuff. Plot Twist is my fave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuCNZK-r5A

Sigrid is all over my playlist on my phone . Plot Twist is a super cool song. I just can't help but feel really upbeat when her music is playing. It's my ultimate feel good singer right now.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Glad to see someone else enjoying Girls. Seen so much hate for this track online. People seem to think it's biphobic which as a bi guy, I am not really noticing? Getting drunk and kissing a member of the same sex is absolutely a valid part of the bisexual experience. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that my feelings for men were romantic as well as sexual. I'm not saying there aren't issues with it but the backlash it's received feels so extreme. I think it's a good, fun song.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

nomapple posted:

Glad to see someone else enjoying Girls. Seen so much hate for this track online. People seem to think it's biphobic which as a bi guy, I am not really noticing? Getting drunk and kissing a member of the same sex is absolutely a valid part of the bisexual experience. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that my feelings for men were romantic as well as sexual. I'm not saying there aren't issues with it but the backlash it's received feels so extreme. I think it's a good, fun song.

it's the lesbians angry about this that are being biphobic "ew straight girls think they can do what we do" like lmao have you even considered the possibility that we never were straight

this year has been a good year for songs explicitly about gay sex and they're not going away regardless of how pissed off anyone gets about it

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

nomapple posted:

As a bi woman who used to present as a bi man, the two experiences have been so wildly divergent that it can be hard for me to reconcile them. The society-driving hetero male gaze obviously falls on women (queer or straight) in a radically different manner than it does men, and while not every woman is going to respond to it in the same way, it's easy for me to see how a woman might listen to Girls and think it reeks of the ever-present fetishization that can be so tiresome to deal with.

In my case, the chorus is true enough to my own lived experience that it doesn't really bother me at all, but I find some of the lines on the features to be so rough that they leave me cold on the whole thing. I don't know that I would call the song biphobic, certainly not in the way that the song that inspired it is, but it's lyrically careless in a way that it doesn't need to be.

Automatonic Water posted:

this year has been a good year for songs explicitly about gay sex and they're not going away regardless of how pissed off anyone gets about it

I think this is one of the reason why the song is subject to such prominent backlash, honestly. When the world is full of all this amazing and highly visible queer music, people are quicker to try and enforce new standards in terms of thoughtfulness.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sio posted:

As a bi woman who used to present as a bi man, the two experiences have been so wildly divergent that it can be hard for me to reconcile them. The society-driving hetero male gaze obviously falls on women (queer or straight) in a radically different manner than it does men, and while not every woman is going to respond to it in the same way, it's easy for me to see how a woman might listen to Girls and think it reeks of the ever-present fetishization that can be so tiresome to deal with.

In my case, the chorus is true enough to my own lived experience that it doesn't really bother me at all, but I find some of the lines on the features to be so rough that they leave me cold on the whole thing. I don't know that I would call the song biphobic, certainly not in the way that the song that inspired it is, but it's lyrically careless in a way that it doesn't need to be.

I think this is one of the reason why the song is subject to such prominent backlash, honestly. When the world is full of all this amazing and highly visible queer music, people are quicker to try and enforce new standards in terms of thoughtfulness.

Thanks for this. Yeah I realised after seeing some more tweets and stuff that a lot of the backlash against it seems to stem from the fetishisation, which is not something that I have experienced as a bi guy.

100% agree that standards are higher now, and from the POV that the visibility of this song will be very high, whilst other tracks that deal with the subject better go ignored, the vitriolic backlash makes a bit more sense to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am more shocked that Girls apparently took nine people to write.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Backstreet's back, alright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SuMbFuKDf8

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Track is pretty solid and makes me wonder who it was originally written for

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is this where we post about Chromeo? I can't believe how good they are, and they keep getting better too. I love you Chromeo! Is this the right number? Seeing them next month, can't wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heavy Metal posted:

Is this where we post about Chromeo? I can't believe how good they are, and they keep getting better too. I love you Chromeo! Is this the right number? Seeing them next month, can't wait.
They'd probably belong in the indie thread, because while what they make is kind of pop music, it's more indie pop than anything. They haven't gotten nearly as much exposure as they deserve :smith: If you ask a random person if they know who Chromeo is, they probably wouldn't whereas they would know several other pop artists who have gotten more widespread exposure.

I can't wait for their new album. Hopefully they come back here someday too. I saw them like 4 years ago (the year White Women came out) at an outdoor festival during sunset and it was loving magical.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They'd probably belong in the indie thread, because while what they make is kind of pop music, it's more indie pop than anything. They haven't gotten nearly as much exposure as they deserve :smith: If you ask a random person if they know who Chromeo is, they probably wouldn't whereas they would know several other pop artists who have gotten more widespread exposure.

I can't wait for their new album. Hopefully they come back here someday too. I saw them like 4 years ago (the year White Women came out) at an outdoor festival during sunset and it was loving magical.

Right on, I dug that Chromatics you posted by the way, fellow Twin Peaks fan here. Chromatomeo tour, could be a good idea. On Chromeo, being a catchy electro funk duo I guess, I don't know of any other group that sounds like them. I'd like some though. Do any indie pop artists have the oomph and jammin' quality of Chromeo? Chromeo is so righteous, and so drat smooth, dynamic, agreed they deserve more exposure for sure.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like I've posted this multiple times in NMD recently, but I would put Mayer Hawthorne/Tuxedo right alongside Chromeo

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Happy 7th Birthday Born This Way :3:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Anyone listened to King Princess? Just heard this thanks to a YouTube autoplay adventure and thought it was really really catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43n1wghXRGM

I also found out another song I've heard a lot on the radio that I liked was hers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNxWTS25Tbk

The MSJ posted:

Backstreet's back, alright?

I actually dig this. Not sold on the first bit but it gets better as it goes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chvrches new album is out today

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lauren's voice sounds amazing but nothing really grabbing me the way the first disc or some of the bangers off disc two did. I'm sure I'll spin it throughout the summer and see if it grows on me. Then again I feel like nothing is going to get me until I get Dirty Computer out of my system.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Also, (might be a
Alt rock) but Snow Patrol released their first new album in 7 years and it’s great.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

^burtle posted:

Lauren's voice sounds amazing but nothing really grabbing me the way the first disc or some of the bangers off disc two did. I'm sure I'll spin it throughout the summer and see if it grows on me. Then again I feel like nothing is going to get me until I get Dirty Computer out of my system.

I kind of agree. It's a bit of a step down from their highs. I still really like Graffiti, ii, and Miracle

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I spun it a second time back to back. I would probably give it a 7.5 or an 8. There is a lot to enjoy but not anything worth listening to on repeat or that you'd immediately share on Facebook to your crew. Will make for nice driving / BBQ / party music.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Jessie J released a 16 song album, R.O.S.E, spread across four sections.

It’s not that good.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

A shame. I assume she wanted to cash in on her Singer success in China as soon as possible and rushed it out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ugh i am so tired of movies not having the songs they were named for in the movie itself. it annoyed me when Edge of Seventeen didn't have Stevie Nicks' dulcet voice playing over the credits but now Solo has absolutely no Demi Lovato anywhere and it's just like "why bother?"

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

ugh i am so tired of movies not having the songs they were named for in the movie itself. it annoyed me when Edge of Seventeen didn't have Stevie Nicks' dulcet voice playing over the credits but now Solo has absolutely no Demi Lovato anywhere and it's just like "why bother?"

Did it have this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not sure how I never heard of Lizzo until she was a judge on RPDR, but she has some fun music.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1000725094849638400

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want to know what Kojima thinks of Elon Musk and Grimes.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I loved the first 2 Chvrches records but this is kind of boring. The hooks feel annoyingly repetitive this time. I like a couple of the songs but by the last few tracks I was almost waiting for it to be over. I hope it grows on me but there are just so many strong albums out this year that I would be surprised if it gets heavy rotation from me like the others did.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

A shame. I assume she wanted to cash in on her Singer success in China as soon as possible and rushed it out.

Her voice is insane and I love her. I hung out with her a for a little bit when she was recording the album (before Singer) and she was very open about having a tough time adjusting to fame and performing. Listen to “Oh Lord” and “Think About That” and you will get an idea. Putting out typical pop stuff right now wouldn’t be authentic for her. Some raw stuff, but unfortunately very little of it is radio friendly or even vocally challenging/interesting.

I think her label is supportive and let her take time to do this project the way she wants, and maybe the next one will be different.

the truth fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 28, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just got Charlie's new album and when this song came on it was my instant favorite and then I went to check out the credits and I was like, OF COURSE it's Hall & Oates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVtb5_Pec4

Early contender for Song of the Summer!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

less laughter posted:

I just got Charlie's new album and when this song came on it was my instant favorite and then I went to check out the credits and I was like, OF COURSE it's Hall & Oates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVtb5_Pec4

Early contender for Song of the Summer!

Please use last names when referring to Charli(e)s that are not Charli XCX. You got me very excited for a hot second only to be very disappointed, which is the only thing that is appropriate to feel when confronted by Charlie Pugh

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is a bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLsfkignj8

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

song is OK but holy poo poo look at this guy:

like a parody of Ed Sheeran pretending to be Adam Levine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's the one who got in trouble a few years ago for posting a rap which was either racist or homophobic, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
All I know him from is that awful cover of a Biffy Clyro song