Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

God bless nintendo for stillt rying to get people to care about ARMS

I don't know why they think it's an issue of getting people to try it and not an issue of people trying it and just not liking it that much.

It's not even a bad game in concept, it just suffers from all the typical poo poo that drives casuals away from fighting games coupled with the fact that it's a shallower take on an existing subgenre of fighting game that's already niche. Like, it's not a Splatoon-style "there is nothing else quite like this" game, it's training wheels VO for babies and there's just not much to it. If they make a sequel, I'll come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
ARMS looked reasonably fun and interesting when watching EVO Japan.

But yeah I can see why the game didn't have any legs.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but to me it was a mistake to limit the potential of the motion controls in order to seek parity with the traditional control scheme. It would have made the game standout more if every little twist, turn, and flick of your wrist resulted in an arm's trajectory being affected. If Nintendo pushed what they could do with motion controls in the gameplay then that would have resulted in a more interesting and creative experience.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 10, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

ARMS lookked reasonably fun and interesting when watching EVO Japan.

:golfclap:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

:mrgw:

Efb

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

ARMS looked reasonably fun and interesting when watching EVO Japan.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but to me it was a mistake to limit the potential of the motion controls in order to seek parity with the traditional control scheme. It would have made the game standout more if every little twist, turn, and flick of your wrist resulted in an arm's trajectory being affected. If Nintendo pushed what they could do with motion controls in the gameplay then that would have resulted in a more interesting and creative experience.

My main problem with the controls was that if you're using motion controls it's easy to accidentally punch when you're trying to guard and you couldn't change the controller mapping when the game first came out, so blocking on a controller was clicking in the left stuck, which felt awkward.

I like the game a lot, but I can't help but feel that the default control schemes leave a lot to be desired

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
If ever a game should have a Dhalsim cameo, it's arms.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A punchout fightng game would be awesome but would never happen

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone gotten in on the early access for Fantasy Strike? It's been on my radar since Core-A Gaming featured it in one of his videos and it appears to have a release date for September of this year.

Yeah, I've been playing it since the Panda got introduced. Fun, easy to pick up, the high damage matches are super satisfying.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

A punchout fightng game would be awesome but would never happen

Punch Out Tag.

I would main Glass Joe and Gabby Jay.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Xad posted:

My main problem with the controls was that if you're using motion controls it's easy to accidentally punch when you're trying to guard and you couldn't change the controller mapping when the game first came out, so blocking on a controller was clicking in the left stuck, which felt awkward.

I like the game a lot, but I can't help but feel that the default control schemes leave a lot to be desired

It's very sad that essentially only two or three games ever grabbed motion controls by the horns during the Wii's lifespan. There was so much potential.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone gotten in on the early access for Fantasy Strike? It's been on my radar since Core-A Gaming featured it in one of his videos and it appears to have a release date for September of this year.

It's fun. It has almost no players though.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

which is weird when you consider it has such great characters like not-Slayer and definitely not-Faust

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

exquisite tea posted:

I picked it up back when there were only five characters, believe it or not the graphics have improved considerably since then. I think the game is a lot of fun and really easy to play, it doesn't have the longevity of a typical fighter but it accomplishes what it set out to do. The team battle mode they just added is a really great addition; its such an easy game to pick up that everyone plays a bunch of characters anyway, so team battle gets you to play a bunch of different matchups. From skimming the discord it seems like Sirlin has been having a lot of trouble with financing, but I hope it does well enough that we get to see the second set of 10 characters that are in all his other games.

Crocoswine posted:

which is weird when you consider it has such great characters like not-Slayer and definitely not-Faust

To be fair, in a recent patch they changed one or two of not-Slayer's most Slayer animations. There have been a couple other animations that were similarly changed at various points to be less blatantly stolen. But yeah, however you slice it nobody's playing Sirlin's games for the original characters and worldbuilding (lol), you play them because the man has a legit knack for picking apart games and reassembling the mechanics in interesting ways.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 10, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I picked it up back when there were only five characters, believe it or not the graphics have improved considerably since then. I think the game is a lot of fun and really easy to play, it doesn't have the longevity of a typical fighter but it accomplishes what it set out to do. The team battle mode they just added is a really great addition; its such an easy game to pick up that everyone plays a bunch of characters anyway, so team battle gets you to play a bunch of different matchups. From skimming the discord it seems like Sirlin has been having a lot of trouble with financing, but I hope it does well enough that we get to see the second set of 10 characters that are in all his other games.

To be fair, in a recent patch they changed one or two of not-Slayer's most Slayer animations. There have been a couple other animations that were similarly changed at various points to be less blatantly stolen. But yeah, however you slice it nobody's playing Sirlin's games for the original characters and worldbuilding (lol), you play them because the man has a legit knack for picking apart games and reassembling the mechanics in interesting ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKN1qXbey0

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why can't he hire someone that knows how to, like, talk to people?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why can't he hire someone that knows how to, like, talk to people?

why would he need to hire someone for something he can do he thinks Sirlinishly

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Last Blade 2 is a very good game. This is my latest conclusion. Sorry I'm so late to the party on this.

The morrissey samurai and the turtle throwing old man are cool as hell also gently caress that spinning claw guy forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mukuro is awesome

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Lb2 owns

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Lb2 is, like garou, not good or fun once you learn even a little bit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah...but it's always cool to play a game where you can hit Heavy and do 40% damage

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
LB2 and Garou might not be great games but they do look and sound really good, which are two things I wish more modern games would do

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've come around on Samsho 3, god bless that stupid loving game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lb2 has the coolest tone of any fg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anime was right posted:

lb2 has the coolest tone of any fg

The stages are pretty metal

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
From an artistic standpoint LB and Garou are loving masterpieces and it's absolutely amazing that they were able to be created on hardware like the Neo-Geo.

From a technical/competitive standpoint, the games are a total mess and it's a drat shame they existed in an age before patches and updates.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The iai girl in LB2 is so fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gPvc9MMtk

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's funny but why is shovel knight a 9 foot tall chad in this game

he's like, really short

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

drat this game gonna suck but I’m definitely gonna get it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IronicDongz posted:

he's like, really short

Shield Knight must be like 15 ft.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shiki Dan posted:

From an artistic standpoint LB and Garou are loving masterpieces and it's absolutely amazing that they were able to be created on hardware like the Neo-Geo.

From a technical/competitive standpoint, the games are a total mess and it's a drat shame they existed in an age before patches and updates.

they're still fun to press buttons in too. scrubs love garou for a reason and its not just nice animation, its button feel too.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy Strike is ugly and it does get kinda old kinda fast, but it's reasonably fun to play and the pitch of "you can play this with your non-fighting-game-playing friends" actually does hold up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not 100% related I remember playing Rising Thunder and thinking that like... it didn't accomplish anything about difficulty of playing fighting games, because doing special moves is literally the easiest thing about playing fighting games.

And not only that, but personally I think "number of buttons" matters a lot more in terms of difficulty to control than doing stuff like QCF or DP motions, unless it's an old game that demands a lot more precision.
Like, Rising Thunder having 6 buttons makes it harder to start playing than something like Blazblue(or especially dbfz obviously) which only has 4, even though Blazblue makes you do DPs and stuff. just my imo

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

pokken tournament is the best "beginner" fg, imo

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

he's like, really short

its probably just up to the teams design for the cross over. Shovel Knight is jacked in that Bloodstained game that's never coming out.

I also thought Blade Strangers is reminding me of Bounty Battle

this poo poo is so busy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkF2wogmkZ8

I went to see if there were more cross over characters in that Blade Strangers game and instead discovered this puzzle fighter? by nicalis with Binding of Isaac and Astro Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqOeHe3SFM

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 11, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sharrrk posted:

Close, its Deadliest Warrior: The Game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Rising Thunder may have failed miserably at its stated goal, but it still gave us the best video of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WetHkYVtw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

IronicDongz posted:

not 100% related I remember playing Rising Thunder and thinking that like... it didn't accomplish anything about difficulty of playing fighting games, because doing special moves is literally the easiest thing about playing fighting games.

And not only that, but personally I think "number of buttons" matters a lot more in terms of difficulty to control than doing stuff like QCF or DP motions, unless it's an old game that demands a lot more precision.
Like, Rising Thunder having 6 buttons makes it harder to start playing than something like Blazblue(or especially dbfz obviously) which only has 4, even though Blazblue makes you do DPs and stuff. just my imo

i think sticking to directional inputs is fine for a newbie friendly fg (and basically how smash works) but no one has done this and explored the full space of what you can do there. 3d games do this, but no ones created a 2d agme where everything functions like a normal really

itd be cool to see like a 4 button game with really high emphasis on way more interesting movement options.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

inthesto posted:

Rising Thunder may have failed miserably at its stated goal, but it still gave us the best video of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WetHkYVtw

drat i forgot how loving ugly and stupid rising thunder was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sharrrk posted:

It's ST.