Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm sure most of the peasantry, petty bourgie and even minor nobility is livid we just fought a devastating war for almost no gain and carrying a cost of essentially most of our colonies and their wealth.

Maybe Britain won't be so alone anymore :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Drone posted:

Really looking forward to seeing how the modding for Victoria 2 goes. That game is considerably older and clunkier than the currently-developed titles.
I've started some preliminary work and it's making me gnash my teeth already. Even with the Clausewitz Scenario Editor, it's some supremely tedious stuff, and editing the pop files doubly so.

quote:

(Now watch Paradox announce Vicky 3 at PDXCon in a couple weeks... though it'll still be a couple years between announcement and release)
If they do that, I might just switch over to a different set of games entirely. Not actually sure which ones, but I'm pretty sure I could at least whip up some scenarios in Railroad Tycoon 3.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ofaloaf posted:

If they do that, I might just switch over to a different set of games entirely. Not actually sure which ones, but I'm pretty sure I could at least whip up some scenarios in Railroad Tycoon 3.

Run the 1826-1936 chapter of the LP as a nationsim play-by-post :getin:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ofaloaf posted:

I've started some preliminary work and it's making me gnash my teeth already. Even with the Clausewitz Scenario Editor, it's some supremely tedious stuff, and editing the pop files doubly so.[/spoiler]

May I suggest the EU4 to Vic2 converter? If nothing else, it'll provide a bunch of stuff you can merge in. And if it makes things easier for you, I'd happily go back and make changes/updates to make your work easier.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh no, I'm way too fussy to entrust any element of this to an automatic converter. Doubly so because I'm not sure if it can handle a mod's custom cultures and tags or not. Triply so because I'm stealing the map mod from Azeri V2 so I don't have straight US borders in North America, so the map's wonky. Quadruply so because I know I'd go back and rework the details on literally everything anyways.

Like, every country in GothEU4, even the OPMs and the bajillion colonial revolter permutations, has a unique set of ship names and leader names. Like 0.1% of that work ever showed up in any of the LP screenshots or made any sort of difference, but I had to do it. If the converter did work, I'd still end up going back and totally rewriting probably every single generated country file anyways.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This kind of sperging is why we love you :allears:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

This kind of sperging is why we love you :allears:

100% this sentiment. That's why your threads are the best.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ms Adequate posted:

lol just lol that this many had to die because we misread a call to arms

:sad:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh no, I'm way too fussy to entrust any element of this to an automatic converter. Doubly so because I'm not sure if it can handle a mod's custom cultures and tags or not. Triply so because I'm stealing the map mod from Azeri V2 so I don't have straight US borders in North America, so the map's wonky. Quadruply so because I know I'd go back and rework the details on literally everything anyways.

Like, every country in GothEU4, even the OPMs and the bajillion colonial revolter permutations, has a unique set of ship names and leader names. Like 0.1% of that work ever showed up in any of the LP screenshots or made any sort of difference, but I had to do it. If the converter did work, I'd still end up going back and totally rewriting probably every single generated country file anyways.

I can certainly understand that sentiment (as others have said, that's why we love this LP). But the converter actually does handle that kind of stuff (that's why my converters take a long while to come together when other people are throwing something together in a week. The details matter and I refuse to ignore them!). Well, you have to mod the converter a bit (again, something I'd be happy to do for you), but even if it just generates pops for you and you throw out the rest, that's a lot of work saved. And going over the converter's output is my expected use case (and what I did in my AAR on the Paradox forums), and I'm horrified that many people just take the output and use it as-is.

But at the end of the day, your LP, your rules. Just wanted to potentially save you some work.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Look, if you reduce Ofa's work load on one mod he's just gonna take that time and spread it across five different mods.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Look, if you reduce Ofa's work load on one mod he's just gonna take that time and spread it across five different mods.

…I see no problem with this. I like his various mods. But yeah, last I'll bring it up, I'm not trying to pressure him.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Honestly, the main place where I could use some help is probably in flagchat. There's a lot of countries with a lot of flag permutations to take care of. I've done some (Gothia ofc, and most of the European major powers), but God Almighty there's a lot of 'em to work through.

There is also one more EU4 chapter to go through, but the players shouldn't change all that much, broadly speaking.

e: Like, I'm not sure what all to do for Europe's republican flags, other than a bunch of tricolors, and I don't have much of a unified aesthetic for communism. Some European communist flags use a torch, others use cogs and hammers, and Gothia's is just ██████████ in the ██████ of █████ flag.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 9, 2018

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Throwing us off the end-game Polar Bear invasion you've implemented :sweden:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ofaloaf posted:

Honestly, the main place where I could use some help is probably in flagchat.

*cracks knuckles*

if there's one thing SomethingAwful map goons are good at, it's flagchat.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Has the time come again?

Aeromancia fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm a flag buff and I'm ready.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Is it Flagchat o'clock already?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I think for com flags stars are underused. They convey the message without too much clutter.

Also I'm ecstatic there will actually be independent New World states. Too rare in EU4.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Ofaloaf posted:

Sure! This is how the colonial and trade regions are set up in the GothLP mod:

Worth noting that a couple of colonial nations well outgrew their natural regions- New Gothia/Anahuac colonized all of the Colonial Texas region on its own, so no Texan CN ever appeared, and Arheimaria/Missouri colonized and conquered a good chunk of the Colonial Ohio region. British Guyana had expanded well beyond its original boundaries as well, before Avallonia came through and annexed it.

I know of a mod that did this, and served as an inspiration for the colonial region rework in the Goth LP mod. The only problem is that the mod hasn't been updated in a year. I bet a personal copy could be updated with just a little tinkering, though.

Thanks for linking this, this is a really interesting mod. Pity it's out of date.

On the note of Pequot and Charrua especially, I feel like the native monarchy would really just be run by a Lloegrian and Lusitanian planter aristocracy who really hold the reigns of power over the native monarchy. Sort of like pre-annexation Hawai'i, but on a far wider scale.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Depends on how many natives are left in the areas nominally European compared to how many settlers actually managed to come in. I would base that on, at least, how long the Euro powers held that given province before they were seized back. Even if those native states aren't majority or plurality main culture, I could see them forming as psuedo native confederations over the interloping settlers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Charrua's only got a single Charruan-culture province among a sea of British and Lusitanian provinces, so I've been imagining that as, like, "Charruan" almost becoming just the dynasty of a highly European country.

The Pequot realm is more weird. There's a mix of all sorts of native cultures (there's a Dakota province northeast of Montreal on the banks of the St. Lawrence, thanks to EU4 migration mechanics), but most of the Eastern Seaboard controlled by the Pequot was initially colonized by Armoricans, and the Norwegians initially colonized the shores of Hudson Bay and then expanded west as far as Saskatchewan before the Pequot decided to repeatedly beat them up in wars and steal all their colonies up that way, so most of that region is firmly Norwegian in culture.

So, there's a core confederation of native cultures straddling the St. Lawrence and spanning most of update New York (the Pequot capital is roughly where Binghamton NY is), but the Atlantic coast is thoroughly settled by Romance-speaking Europeans who were forcefully subjugated by this confederation (all the Armorican territory was part of an Armorican CN at one point), and the Canadian north and west is just as thoroughly Norwegian (it also briefly functioned as a Norwegian CN) and also was incorporated by force of arms. I'm not sure what the right parallel is there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There probably aren't actually that many Norwegian people in northern Canada, tbh--nor are there probably very many Pequot or other native culture groups. Even when "colonized" by the British or French in real life those parts of Canada had basically no population transfer, just nominal control and maybe a couple of fur-trapping forts or trading posts. The Hudson's Bay Company in Rupert's Land, the OTL equivalent, also relied on local First Nations and Metis employees to run a lot of those things, meaning there wasn't a huge influx of English culture even where influence did reach. So Norwegian colonization and the spread of "Norwegian" culture provinces would hardly be a comparable situation to the widespread colonization of the east coast, even in this wacky timeline.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Yeah but gently caress those romance speakers, the Norwegian spirit will ride again

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I see the Pequot as a confederation of Native Peoples who are "westernizing" themselves. The ones who move into the settled regions stop seeing themselves as whatever tribe they came from and more as a group of like-minded people. They're less actual Norwegians and more like people who believe they emulate the Norwegian way of life.

They seem less like Hawaii and more like Sengoku-era Japan.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what is a norwegian?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

what is a norwegian?

A miserable pile of fish-oil. But enough talking, have at you!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
It's easier to imagine the Pequot nation than the Charrua I think.
I imagine it as a loose confederation of peoples, banded together through some vaguely anti-Europe rhetoric. It's controlled by the Pequot only because they are the most organised group, and because they were the initial organisors. The Norwegian and other European cultured provinces represent a plurality in the area rather than a majority, and are mostly just trappers and stuff like vyelkin suggested.
I don't get how the Churran nation works. I guess the European dynasty thing makes the most sense.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Honestly, the main place where I could use some help is probably in flagchat. There's a lot of countries with a lot of flag permutations to take care of. I've done some (Gothia ofc, and most of the European major powers), but God Almighty there's a lot of 'em to work through.

There is also one more EU4 chapter to go through, but the players shouldn't change all that much, broadly speaking.

e: Like, I'm not sure what all to do for Europe's republican flags, other than a bunch of tricolors, and I don't have much of a unified aesthetic for communism. Some European communist flags use a torch, others use cogs and hammers, and Gothia's is just ██████████ in the ██████ of █████ flag.

What flags are you having issues over or would like more input for?

Also, I'd imagine a lot of the flags, Communist, Fascist or otherwise would borrow a lot more heavily from Roman (or maybe even Ancient Greek in Thrace's case) symbolism.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, I'd imagine a lot of the flags, Communist, Fascist or otherwise would borrow a lot more heavily from Roman (or maybe even Ancient Greek in Thrace's case) symbolism.
Two that are really tripping me up atm are Missouri Missorí and Anahuac.

Right now Missorí only has one flag design, taken straight from AzeriV2:

The various government flag variants AzeriV2 uses don't really work for it- they're all plastered with English-language slogans, for one, and I'd feel guilty about just reusing everything from that mod.

Anahuac has two flags. The base flag, , is the same design as what's used in GothEU4. There's also a monarchist flag in for it already, , which I'm happy enough with. Both designs are taken straight from designs used by Mexico during its war for independence. Beyond those two designs, though, I'm not coming up with much good.

e: Oh, Thrace! I got flags for all government variants, but they're not good, and they're most just stealing designs from CK2 for the vanilla duchy of Thrace and the county of Constantinople iirc.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 11, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What's wrong with the actual flag of the state of Missouri? :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have standards.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Ofaloaf posted:

I have standards.

I don't know if I hope you meant that as a pun or not

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

If there's one place in this entire LP that shouldn't borrow heavily from ancient Roman symbolism and whatever, it's communism.

Playing at being part of the legacy of the ancients is a rich man's game. I don't really see anything being better for representing the common workers than their tools. Maybe they could latch onto something other than the color red, but I hear blue's expensive.

As for fascism, in this world wherein the bulk of Europe supposedly traces its local government back to the empire, it seems contrary to the spirit of nationalism to trumpet around symbols that everyone and their mother uses as if they are somehow signifying the uniqueness of their own nation.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Republican revolutionaries are probably, indeed, going all in on, ya know, the Republic, but yeah communism probably dumps it. Fascism you can probably argue either way, although I think it'd be dependent more on who is going fascist than anything. Remember, although largely irrelevant these days, both Imperial Crowns have maintained continuity. If Rum or whoever happens to hold the Western crown were to go fascist, they'd probably be all for restoring Imperium.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

If there's one place in this entire LP that shouldn't borrow heavily from ancient Roman symbolism and whatever, it's communism.

Playing at being part of the legacy of the ancients is a rich man's game. I don't really see anything being better for representing the common workers than their tools. Maybe they could latch onto something other than the color red, but I hear blue's expensive.

As for fascism, in this world wherein the bulk of Europe supposedly traces its local government back to the empire, it seems contrary to the spirit of nationalism to trumpet around symbols that everyone and their mother uses as if they are somehow signifying the uniqueness of their own nation.

Gothia's fascists will of course all be obsessed with Arianism.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Two that are really tripping me up atm are Missouri Missorí and Anahuac.

Right now Missorí only has one flag design, taken straight from AzeriV2:

The various government flag variants AzeriV2 uses don't really work for it- they're all plastered with English-language slogans, for one, and I'd feel guilty about just reusing everything from that mod.

Anahuac has two flags. The base flag, , is the same design as what's used in GothEU4. There's also a monarchist flag in for it already, , which I'm happy enough with. Both designs are taken straight from designs used by Mexico during its war for independence. Beyond those two designs, though, I'm not coming up with much good.

e: Oh, Thrace! I got flags for all government variants, but they're not good, and they're most just stealing designs from CK2 for the vanilla duchy of Thrace and the county of Constantinople iirc.

Having the River as a symbol for Missouri makes a lot of sense. Retaining the wavy line element and just rearranging it as well as altering the color scheme seems sufficient enough. The simplest I can think is having a back in yellow (Gothic roots) with just a blue wavy stripe across/down the middle. Maybe more. The whole of the Mississippi and a lot of the Missouri is within the borders as well as much of the Ohio so making the River a key symbol of the new nation.

Anahuac also seems okay as is, but the color scheme or objects could be different, but it's a lot more open here I guess. In this case (and also with Missouri now that I think about it), since both are Monarchies, the flags may well be the new King's coat of arms or heavily inspired by it. Even if the individuals didn't have one before, they're King/Queen now so they should have one unless they don't expect the kingdom to remain dynastic for very long. In this case, it basically means making up a personal/family history out of whole cloth unless they already belong to a European dynasty to rip off elements from. Then it's just a matter of throwing what would essentially be "modern" heraldic symbols with whatever meanings you want attached. Instead of just the usual swords, lions, eagles, crowns or whatever that would be common to European heraldry, it could be otters, cacti, black bears, bald eagles, rattlesnakes, rifles, or somethign that'd be more native to the new period and region.

For Thrace, one option is to steal one of the variants of the modern Greek flag. Blue cross on white or vice versa. What wiki looking I've done basically states that the version of the flag that was finally adopted that we know today is basically unknown in regards to origins. Theories of origin for colors range from Ancient Greek to Byzantine and potential use during the Ottoman Revolution (which didn't happen in this case). Since the revolution was less religious in nature, maybe just a horizontal/vertical stripe. It just sorta depends on what kind of narrative you want to give the rebels.

Flags are always a bit of a weird thing since, at least historically, there's always some meaning or symbolism in the colors or significant elements. Especially with revolutions.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Check Your Knowledge!:
  1. How did the Roman Empire survive on from antiquity? Was the survival of such an enormous institution inevitable?
  2. Was gender equality in inheritance law indicative of broader equality of genders in late medieval Gothic society? What are some sources you could look for to provide more evidence?
  3. Describe the ways in which a Frankish-Sorbian union posed a threat to neighboring countries.
  4. How could this union be stopped?
  5. What countries had the most motivation to explore overseas? What countries might benefit the most?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The Franks, need I say more?

The only way it could be stopped: the Final Crusade. In a sick attempt to curb the Frankish overreach, the Carthagennan Empire was able to convince the Romanian church to issue a Crusade against the "heathen Franks". The war was bloody, destructive, and ultimately cost the Carthagennan Empire any chance at a united people. But it crippled the Frankish kingdom enough to dissolve not only the union, but the kingdom itself. As horrible as the war was, without it, our ancestors would've never decided to leave the European continent behind. It was what started the Colonial era.

I was just reading through some old updates and the discussions between CK2 and EU4. Isn't this essentially what happened interpreted pretty loosely? A final destructive war that dissolved a union (though not with Sorbia) led by the Franks, and the empire it tore to pieces wasn't the Carthagennan Empire, but Gothia's colonial empire.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 11, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hey whatever happened to Zoroastrianism in this TL

I know at one point we had a nice solid Mesopotamia to Turkestan bloc

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Jewish Seljuk destroyed the Sassanids, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rodyle posted:

The Caliphate and the Persian Empire fought each bloody in a ridiculous seesaw series of Jihad/Great Holy War, then Manichee Seljuk showed up and conquered most of that mess. Then after a while, and through a fluke with a child's guardian, the ruler of this Seljuk empire (I think they were still Seljuks at this time, but I haven't re-read that update) ending up becoming Jewish. Sassanids re-appeared in Iraq as a Turkish-culture Jewish kingdom for a while.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Jewish Seljuk destroyed the Sassanids, right?

The Sassanids were kicked out as rulers of the Persian Empire around 900 AD IIRC.