Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ya gone smugged yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

(yes OK new zealand is named after the dutch one but I'm technically right which is the best kind etc)

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaded Burnout posted:

(yes OK new zealand is named after the dutch one but I'm technically right which is the best kind etc)

:getout:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jaded Burnout posted:

lol

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:smith:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No I actually meant your post was funny and I literally laughed out loud :hfive:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:unsmith:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This is loads better than the usual terrible derails we get so here is some additional information:

quote:

Dutch explorer Abel Tasman sighted New Zealand in 1642 and named it Staten Land "in honour of the States General" (Dutch parliament). He wrote, "it is possible that this land joins to the Staten Land but it is uncertain", referring to a landmass of the same name at the southern tip of South America, discovered by Jacob Le Maire in 1616.
In 1645, Dutch cartographers renamed the land Nova Zeelandia after the Dutch province of Zeeland. British explorer James Cook subsequently anglicised the name to New Zealand.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
They were loving boring with the naming down under. New Zealand. New South Wales. Queensland. Victoria (named after a queen). Snooooooooooore.

At least Tasmania was named after the explorer dude. And a buttload of suburbs and towns use the indigenous placenames which is cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love that my passive aggressive whining about my internet has led to this. :jerky:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Canada and New England is the same (especially being called New England).

New York. Birmingham. Southampton. Portsmouth. Manchester. Pick new names! Not just the major cities and ports of the place you left!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Naming towns and places after indigenous people is a pro move because it's really funny watching foreigners try to pronounce those places.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Canada and New England is the same (especially being called New England).

New York. Birmingham. Southampton. Portsmouth. Manchester. Pick new names! Not just the major cities and ports of the place you left!

Even worse, they then pronounce them wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Renegret posted:

Naming towns and places after indigenous people is a pro move because it's really funny watching foreigners try to pronounce those places.
The lamest part of New Zealand is that the local people who live in areas with indigenous names pronounce them worse than foreigners.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

larchesdanrew posted:

I have evolved. The last 8 tickets in a row have resolved themselves with my mere proximity to the affected devices.

Bow, peons.
I get called a wizard for fixing problems just by calling regularly. It happens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

That's actually how most Aussie suburbs and towns are named.

You start off in Melbourne (once briefly known as 'Batmania'), have innermost suburbs/districts like Carlton and Hawthorn... then it's right to Werribee and Geelong. Or you do you fancy a trip up through Ballarat to Kooyoora?

You could always take a drive to Dookie.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Melbourne needs to be changed back to Batmania right loving now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Melbourne needs to be changed back to Batmania right loving now.

Why would you slander Batman's good name by renaming Melbourne in his honor?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

MELBOURNE!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

MELBOURNE!

:roflolmao:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.
What company is lying this blatantly?

Also, speaking of Denmark, we have a town named Middelfart.
And speaking of towns, there's an almost-insulting amount of them called Newcastle in various languages.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 11, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

In 2016 a town in my state renamed itself back to Utqiaġvik

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

What company is lying this blatantly?

TDC, apparently.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, speaking of Denmark, we have a town named Middelfart.

I used to live near Nether Wallop.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2nd day of 0 tickets coming in due to people taking extended weekends off because of public holidays. Spent most of my day preparing for my Riverbed training and playing FIFA in the relax area of our office.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

In 2016 a town in my state renamed itself back to Utqiaġvik

I am the foreigner who can't pronounce indigenous names.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ArcticZombie posted:

Even worse, they then pronounce them wrong.

Welcome to Versailles, Kentucky!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aside from the fact that that wrongly paraphrases an at-best carefully-phrased claim by a PR person based on the fact that a survey they sent out didn't result in a directly-proportional number of new customers, it's plainly obvious that it's because they were too slow to roll out their own fiber such that all their potential customers had already gotten FTTH from their local and regional power companies.
According to the 2016 numbers from the energy department in a PDF, there are almost half a million people with fiber, up from a quarter of a million in 2012 according to Wikipedias source for its dubious claims. Interestingly, I'm certain as can be that only a portion of that 1.1 million xDSL customers can actually get VDSL, because TDC has a lot of very very poor-quality copper in the ground - I remember how terrible my ADSL+2 AnnexM was before I got FTTH, my bandwidth would drop and latency would spike every single time it rained, and that was on a carefully-attentuated line only 650 meters from the DSLAM.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My house has FTTC, BT do provide an FTTP product, but I couldn't persuade them to even quote it.

"It's really expensive"
"Yeah I know"
"We're talking thousands"
"Yes. I know."

Got nowhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Dude from att knocked on my door the other evening saying they were working on the building and asking if I wanted to switch. Asking 3 times what kinda of speeds they were getting and getting replies of TV stations got the door slammed on his face.

Spectrum isn't much better though, the calls and flyers to add TV service is damned near every day. Fuckers.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ilkhan posted:

Dude from att knocked on my door the other evening saying they were working on the building and asking if I wanted to switch. Asking 3 times what kinda of speeds they were getting and getting replies of TV stations got the door slammed on his face.

Spectrum isn't much better though, the calls and flyers to add TV service is damned near every day. Fuckers.

Comcast. I have two accounts with Comcast: first is a business internet account with phone service. Second is Xfinity for tv channels ( because the business account only has “business-y” channels and news stuff).

Ask me how many times I’ve called for problems with my internet and been told “you don’t have internet” because I’ve been transferred to the wrong side of the shop.

Similarly “you don’t get [x channel]” because I’ve been routed to the business internet folks.

Why is this so hard, people?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Also Hurricane, WV. Pronounced "hurrikun." I wish I were kidding.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lebanon, Oregon always throws me for a loop when visiting my mother-in-law.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
loving, Austria is always a lovely place. No, they won't change the name. Yes, they do know what it means in English.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Minnesota has Fertile, Climax, and Moorhead all within a hundred miles.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Volguus posted:

loving, Austria is always a lovely place. No, they won't change the name. Yes, they do know what it means in English.

I first heard about that place when the mayor put out a press release asking for the British tourists to please stop stealing the town sign.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ssrm-aLGNw

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volguus posted:

Coincidentally, it's only a few hours away from the German towns of Kissing and Petting too.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Kurieg posted:

Minnesota has Fertile, Climax, and Moorhead all within a hundred miles.

Those do sound like places Finnish settlers would name places.

- written from "Whistling oval office swamp", Finland

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My Grandma was born in Semen, Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.