Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure the manga writer has gone on record saying that he hates writing arcs for the remakes.

That'd make sense. FRLG was good (if incomplete) but HGSS was rushed and forgettable and ORAS was just a giant mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel bad for the the artist, considering how quickly the games are coming out.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Crosspeice posted:

You might think since we're solely seeing Pokemon from Group 3 they'll all have max IVs and all that? Well, no actually, the Pokemon you face are linked to your streak in the Battle Tower, so if you do this facility first, then every Pokemon you face will have 3 IVs max (aside from Trainer 7 who's upgraded to the next set, so they have 6 IVs). Otherwise, if you get to battle 100 for everything, then all Pokemon in the Factory will have 31 IVs from the start. This, however, does no apply to your Pokemon, they gain IVs as you go through the sets like normal, but if you trade a Pokemon, they'll have 3 IVs. It's not a huge deal, feel free to trade away, until you get up to the higher streaks.

What. What the hell? How did I not know this? (Do you mind linking to your source, if it has any more detail on how this works?)

So this is basically just a "gently caress you if you didn't do this facility first, or if you liked it and want to play it more later"? (Or I guess some of that depends whether it's your "current" or "best" Tower streak that gets used, do you happen to know which?) What is game design? Who on earth could have possibly thought this was a good idea?

(Then again, I could also see this being a sort of bug or unintended consequence of how they implemented things. Maybe they didn't have room for multiple algorithms to generate opposing pokemon, and the scaling factor intended for the Battle Tower ended up coming along to all the other facilities without them noticing? It'd make as much sense as anything else, though I'm just speculating here.)

On another note, I do find it weird that for the Battle Factory, Open Level tends to be easier and more fun than Level 50. I've never managed to get very far in Level 50 mode, because the sets it starts you off with tend to be full of either "unevolved things with decent moves" or "evolved things with awful moves" and either way you get screwed. It always feels to me like there's a lot more variance in what it can give you there, which is never great in a mode that's all about adapting to randomness.

As for all of the manga updates... wow, this stuff is mental. I don't even know what to say.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Before he starts the next facility I just want to note that a perfect Gold Symbol streak in the Factory (+the free 3 from Scott) only resulted in 47 BP
Almost all of the good moves & items are 48 per pop. We can't even afford dolls for our base!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I will thank and praise whoever at game freak came up with beach points.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm not sure why the Factory uses the Tower for its IV streak, but all the info I'm getting is from Werster's speedrun of all Gold Symbols, who made a fabulous pastebin detailing some real good stuff about each facility and the fastest way to get through it. Speedruns of Pokemon games have got a lot of good info in them, so I've made sure to watch at least one for each game.

rannum posted:

Before he starts the next facility I just want to note that a perfect Gold Symbol streak in the Factory (+the free 3 from Scott) only resulted in 47 BP
Almost all of the good moves & items are 48 per pop. We can't even afford dolls for our base!

Also I didn't notice this lmao. You'll be doing a lot of Factory grinding if you want all the good stuff, cause at least I can add in any Pokemon and items I want to make things so much less of a headache.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The IV mixup is almost definitely a bug.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, that speedrun! Thanks for reminding me. I've had that earmarked to watch since it went up, but never quite got around to it because it's bloody long and I haven't had the time. Should really get around to that one of these days...

I went and poked around on his pastebin stuff (you're right, there's really a lot of great info there) and found this page, which seems to have even more info on the IV thing and makes it a lot clearer. Well, clear as mud, because these mechanics make no sense, but at least it describes what's going on. (Apparently if your streak is higher than 8 rounds, they all get completely random IVs like wild pokemon instead of the fixed ones?) And at least it's your most recent streak, so you can manipulate it if you want to and don't get permanently locked out... but you still need to know it's a thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 30: Going Post

Now that we've covered the Battle Frontier and even tackled 1/7th of it, I guess there's other stuff to do around the mainland, starting with this cave.

Altering Cave

It's an empty cave full of Zubat! How's that for content? The Altering Cave isn't e-Reader content we never got, it's just completely unreleased content period that will be covered here!

Trick House

It may have taken us 23 updates, but hey, let's finally complete the Trick House.

It's a sliding puzzle that's about shiny floors instead of ice, which is pretty nifty.

Even got some postgame trainers with levels that don't go above the bottom of the Elite Four.

It's pretty easy once you've mapped out where you need to go.

Onto the second half.

You've beaten the POKEMON LEAGUE CHAMPION? That's too much!

I suppose I could talk about the various mail types in this gen and where you obtain it and how some of it is only obtainable from in-game trades... but it's just mail. I don't care that much.

Oh hey it's a Pokemon we haven't seen yet. How neat.

Oh please, like I'm going to write about how absolutely wonderful he is at every opportunity I get.

...so yeah, let's get our prize.

Wh-what should I do? My fountain for tricks has run dry... Perhaps it is time I toured the country on a quest to devise new tricks... I hate to admit defeat, but you have bested me! Still, you must have been reeled in by my charisma for you to visit me again and again. Yes, you must have! But, that has nothing to do with my losing! In recognition of the friendship between you, the driven, and the genius that is myself, I demand that you take this keepsake! Actually, there are two--a RED TENT and a BLUE TENT. Which do you prefer?

I wish that you will one day visit and entertain me again. And now, farewell!

That's it for the Trick House. Bar one thing. See, after finishing the final challenge, under the cushion the Trick Master was on in the back room, there's a hidden Nugget. I completely forgot about it since I don't have item pages open for areas that don't have that many non-obvious items to find. Whoops!

Let's check in with our good friend, whatever his name was.

I was digging away, you see... when the whole wall collapsed... I think there's a giant cavern underneath now... but I've left it alone because I don't think there are any FOSSILS there...

Desert Underpass

This long hallway is supposed to go under the desert on Route 111, but I think you'll find that just heading due east from Route 114 means we don't go under the desert at all *adjusts glasses and trips over untied shoelace*

Alongside Whismur and Loudred, there's also Ditto here, making any future breeding projects a breeze. Now you don't have to trade for them to make use of Flame Body!

Oh yeah, here's the other fossil, making this the only game in the entire series where you can obtain every fossil that you can find in that game, instead of them being version exclusive, or only being able to obtain one.

Oh hey it's the new PC option.

Looking good.

I guess we should finally hatch an Azurill and evolve Marill. Exciting times here in this LP.

We've got both fossils, but when will we evolve them? Stay tuned.

Now that we've beaten the game, our vocabulary has expanded so we can use "Contest" and "Hustle" and get two more sweet berries. The Pamtre and Belue berries are good for Pokeblocks. Yawn.

Free stuff from Steven? Hell yeah!

I've decided to do a little soul-searching and train on the road. I don't plan to return home for some time. I have a favor to ask of you. I want you to take the POKEBALL on the desk. Inside it is a BELDUM, my favorite POKEMON. I'm counting on you. May our paths cross someday.

You should definitely Take Down this analysis and move on to the next one! Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Okay, now that you've got a Pokemon with actual moves to use, what does it do? Well, looking at its stats, you wouldn't think it would evolve into one hell of a titan, especially since its movepool is pretty bad aside from Psychic and it takes way too long to evolve. But it has a fantastic movepool aside from that, even at this stage and gets a great Steel move in Meteor Mash. While a lot of its expansive movepool can't be used due to its relatively lower SpAtk, it still gets every single good physical attack via TM, Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Sludge Bomb, Rock Slide, Explosion, the list goes on, especially with postgame move tutors. Its typing covers all its Psychic weaknesses and gives it a few due to Steel, but that's not gonna matter much. Alright, I might be talking about Metagross a bit here, but this ain't far off.

Hey, we're evolving some more poo poo over here.

Oh my god it's the roamer, what are the chances???

Okay that was just me hacking it in so I could see it on the Pokedex. Like with Gen 2, it's a major hassle getting the roamer in this gen, since you need to encounter it first and that could take forever. If you do find it, just Masterball it, thankfully there's just the one roamer in this game, same for FRLG, so it's not too bad. You can also get multiple Masterballs by cloning, so it's whatever. It's best to hunt on Route 110 or Mauville City, since it's pretty easy to go back and forth in those areas.

Out of the two jet dragons, Latios is stronger and gets slightly better moves, whereas Latias is more defensive with a pretty meh defensive typing. There's a couple of moveset differences, but the ones you'll actually be going for are the same across both dragons, so unless you want a weaker Latios, you have to go more defensive. You do at least get that, from learning Wish and Recover, as well as screens. Only Wish is unique to Latias, but with Calm Mind, you also become a real strong special tank, so if that's appealing to you, then Latias works as a great setup sweeper. Mist Ball is simply a weaker Psychic with 50% chance of lowering the opponent's SpAtk. Eh, just use Psychic. We also can't not mention the Soul Dew, which boosts both Latis SpAtk and SpDef by 50% when held, which is pretty fuckin ridiculous. Don't think that's an easy ticket though, its effect is nullified in the Battle Frontier and banned from official tournaments. This makes both Latis much, much more potent, but also means Latios gains enough SpDef to be a better Latias. She just can't win.

So here's the boy nuke. It's much better to OHKO an opponent and take no damage, then do a lot of damage and take some in return. With a great special movepool, Luster Purge having a 50% chance of lowering the opponent's SpDef and Soul Dew in more casual settings, Latios is a very dangerous sweeper, with Dragon Claw, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and even Surf. Its exclusive moves of Protect, Memento and Dragon Dance are pretty rubbish, since you can just use a Protect TM, but it has the firepower to not really care. It's definitely the better choice if you want more power right out of the gate, but Latias is better at the whole staying around to boost up and sweep. Still, there's quite a few exploitable weaknesses regardless, so unless you've got a good matchup, it is just better to smite your foes. Now if only I could actually find a Soul Dew...

Easy enough. In RS, the Latis were version exclusive, but since we can choose which colour the Latis are in this game, it doesn't really matter which one we get. Shame there's no way to get the other one. Well whatever, I didn't need to complete the Pokedex anyway.

Now that we've seen Latios, we can use it in a phrase and get another berry! Contests! gently caress off!

How about going on a legendary hunt, since we're in the mood?

Could that mean, somewhere near ROUTE 129...

Yep, it's time to break out Dive one last time and go down into the depths.

Now you can find out where abnormal weather is from our Castform giver, but you can also just explore around the region and see if anything pops up. On various water routes, it could be raining and a new dive spot will appear.

The Marine Cave doesn't have anything in it... aside from one really big blue thing.

Legendary Titan Battle

From the deepest depths comes the giant leviathan, with incredibly scary stats and enough tools to make it a serious threat to anything to comes across. Kyogre is much more potent compared to Groudon due to its ability boosting the moves it gets STAB on, as well as working with its highest stat. A rain boosted Hydro Pump or Water Spout is incredible and when you add in Ice Beam and Thunder (due to endless rain of course), then suddenly the Pokemon that can stand up to Kyogre becomes very small. Hilariously, Shedinja is a Pokemon that Kyogre cannot touch unless you give it a Rock move. Which you won't. Add in Calm Mind and with enough boosts, even Wonder Guard will struggle to keep afloat. This Pokemon is scary and is easily one of the best in the series... until the remakes raised the bar to ridiculous levels. It's only real downside is its Speed and it can be physically frail, so Groudon has that going for it. You know, if it didn't stand on a tiny patch of land in the middle of a lake.

With a much higher level than in Sapphire, as well as the rain, Kyogre is a very deadly Pokemon to try and catch.

Good thing we can clone then!

With Kyogre obtained, Groudon will now start appearing. Don't worry, this isn't another Altering Cave.

Come forth sunshine dino!

The counterpart in the boiling magma isn't as immediately devastating, due to Drought powering up Fire types, which Groudon is not (YET). Still, it can use its pretty alright SpAtk to pretend it has Fire STAB, as well as Solarbeam, to really rub it in Kyogre's face. You know, if it didn't switch for some reason. Anyway, you still have a ridiculous Attack stat, so either go mixed and slap on Earthquake and Rock Slide, or just go full physical and use your ability to weaken Water attacks. It gets Swords Dance through tutor, as well as Return and Iron Tail, so it can absolutely wreck even without a boost to its STAB, and Choice Band can give you that dizzying power very quickly. But being weak to opposing Solarbeam, as well as various Ice moves, is a bit of a pain. Still, Groudon dishes out so much more pain, so be prepared.

Why couldn't I have done this earlier? Saved a good five updates of nonsense.

Alright, just one more to get. I wonder how hard this one will be to catch.

Unfortunately Rayquaza is grouchy when you wake it up and so it wrecked the place. How rude.

But luckily I'm just so good at these games for ages 3 and up.

It's a nice stroll up the rest of the tower.

This ozone nuisance slapper downer is definitely mixed (heh), since it has amazing stats, a pretty bad typing, a great movepool with no real Flying STAB and really bad defenses. You've got Outrage, Extremespeed, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Surf and Rock Slide, so you can go fully physical, mixed late game sweeper, or full special. So long as you don't get hit by an Ice Beam, you're perfectly fine to tear through anything and everything with such wide coverage. Man, if you gave this thing any more, it'd be seriously broken. Hahahahahahahahaha. Also its ability says gently caress your weather, I'm gonna smash you up regardless. It can be tough to use with those defenses, but man it is very easy to get going when it wants to.

Alright we finally got the mascot. Get to the box, scrub. Anyway, if we catch anything else I won't use Master Balls, even though I totally could.

Safari Zone

Since we've been catching lots of stuff, here's two more areas of the Safari Zone to catch things in! Wooooooooooo! *clap*

If you've been missing these weak dex fillers, then fret not, there's nothing but Johto Pokemon in these areas, some of which you won't find anywhere else in Gen 3! And, uh, Goldeen and Seaking by fishing. But whatever.

However we're in the Safari Zone, so standard bullshit applies.

Another mon flees...

Just kidding, I have save states and I love using them for any minor inconvenience.

So I may have caught a couple things in here.

Another thing to catch in the water. Octillery can be hooked up with the Super Rod, but it's 1%, so no.

As well as a surfing encounter. There's also Marill, which I nearly caught, before remembering it's in the Hoenn Dex and I already have one!

I did a lot of grass running (moving in spot is too boring), so back in for the final area.

There's also a hidden Zinc in the north, but I never do anything with it, so gently caress making a screenshot of me picking it up.

More things to find, though since there's a bit of overlap with Area 5, there's slightly less to catch.

I'm glad this also didn't take long.

There we go, you now have no reason to play Pokemon Colosseum.

Oh yeah here's the last tiny thing. Are we done with the dex yet???

Meteor Falls

Last on the list for this update is checking out this new cave up there. Since there's still a chunk to this update, then you know there's nothing in here that's important.

Oh hey, let's fight pretty boy.

No, that can't be right. We battled alongside each other at the SOOTOPOLIS SPACE CENTER. You should have a very good idea about how good I am. Okay, YUKI, if you're going to mount a serious challenge, expect the worst!

VS Former Champion Steven (yeah I know the rival music is meant to go here, but that's dumb)

Steven Stone/Daigo Tsuwabuki: I'm the strongest and most energetic after all!
From steel and, uh, stone, as well as stevensite, a mineral, and deigo (Indian coral tree) and tsuwabuki (leopard plant), which contains ishi (stone).

Well this is quite a jump. You wanted a postgame fight? You got one. As for why there's no video for this: the battle was over 20 minutes long. This team is really rough.

Since his team is 20 levels higher than his Champion team and the only fights we could do are against the Elite Four, since we've, uh, fought everyone else, we don't have a lot of options to catch up. So we'll just have to make do. We'll be fine. Probably.

There's gonna be a lot of healing on both sides. That did just skip 3 minutes at least. RNG manips, totally.

This Aggron still has an... interesting moveset, but it shouldn't be taken lightly. We know what Aggron can do.

Hey that Flash was worth it, good job Ranmaru.

We just dodged a fuckin bullet there. Also seriously, what is this luck?

With a weird typing and good defensive options, you'll be opening up google to type "what is Cradily weak to?" The answer is Fighting, Ice, Bug and Steel, or FIBS for short. Crazy, I know. It can do some damage, but it really needs TMs to do anything, otherwise its best move is Ancientpower, which is pretty yikes. Thankfully it can learn Giga Drain, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb and Return, as well as Toxic, Recover from breeding, Stockpile and Ingrain. Sure, it's not the best tank out there, but it does pretty well with limited weaknesses and plenty of moves to keep itself topped up. It can also learn Confuse Ray, Amnesia and Double Team just to be really annoying, but if you're facing a Steel or Poison type, you won't be doing much at all in return, so make sure it's not dead weight and you should be golden. Probably.

I dunno what I was expecting with this.

Ah well, Plan C. The C stands for Curse.

Confusion damage has never been something Wargreymon has cared about.

This ain't gonna save you.

Slightly less confusing typing, but still alright. It's got a really high Attack and can take a few physical hits, but its movepool is dire, getting only Fury Cutter and Rock Slide from tutor or breeding, as well as Swords Dance. From there, you've got some good physical attacks, but it's really all you can do, so Brick Break, Earthquake, Iron Tail, Return, whichever you need. It's a slow attacker, so it's prone to being swept away by Water, so watch out for that. But when it connects an attack, boy does it hurt.

Holy poo poo. Since my opponents are usually packing a mean move to use against Wargreymon, Nobunaga is a real good candidate to actually survive the really strong attacks heading our way. Barely.

I dunno what I'd do without Revival Herbs. Best item for the endgame.

Oh god we really don't have much for this thing due to its nasty coverage. It's just got Earthquake and Ancientpower, but pray tell, who on our team can take those attacks? Correct, Nobunaga, what a surprise.

We can survive two Earthquakes even! But we do nothing in return. So how am I gonna get out of this jam?

Correct, it's stalling out Earthquakes!

There we go, now it's doing gently caress all.

I absolutely need to lay this down while I get ridiculously lucky.

Because of that. Nasty.

But there we go, just one more.

Oh. It's a goddamn monster. Metagross has a lot of things going for it, from its excellent defensive typing, to its incredible Attack, to its staggering movepool. Sure, it doesn't like using Psychic moves, but it can very easily avoid them and be just fine. Meteor Mash is a very savage move, and you get every physical move you can think of from TMs. And then it gets low in health and explodes on you. It's just a super nasty Pokemon to fight, since it will hit you very hard and if you don't have a Ground or Fire move, you might be in trouble. Don't bank on outspeeding it, it has Agility and even screens if it wants to be super annoying, but that's not hugely common. It's just a big supercomputer sized problem, in your face.

So what's my plan against this thing?

Bank on a Meteor Mash miss to Curse it. This thing 2 shots my entire team.

Sure, Nobunaga can take a hit and retaliate with Earthquake, but maybe the rest of the team could do something.

It's, uh, not looking like it. I don't think Wargreymon survives a stock Earthquake, but I guess we'll never know.

Because Nobunaga conquers all. Holy poo poo.

Come to think of it, ever since our paths first crossed in GRANITE CAVE in DEWFORD, I had this feeling. I thought that you would eventually become the CHAMPION. My predictions usually come true. And where will you go from here? Fufufu, even I couldn't tell you that.

Well that was scary. While that's all the regular stuff the game expects you to do with the postgame, it's still not very long even with some cool Emerald additions, there's still a fair few things left. Next time though, it's something less scary than Steven.

Just kidding it's the Battle Palace.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Oh god, more battle facilities. Why do you torture yourself so?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

drat, I thought I was good for beating Steven at a ten level disadvantage in Omega Ruby :stare:

Speaking of, will you be showing off ORAS stuff?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've always liked Steven as a character. I'm not sure why. Maybe because he has such cool Pokemon? And generally seems like a really chill, mature adult in a series filled with the exact opposite of that?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SirSamVimes posted:

drat, I thought I was good for beating Steven at a ten level disadvantage in Omega Ruby :stare:

Speaking of, will you be showing off ORAS stuff?

He has no way to record 3DS footage (short of parking a camera over it and locking the 3DS and camera in place), so no.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Steven loses earthquake on his metagross for the remakes. All it gets attack wise are steel/normal/psychic moves. Notice how steel types, which commonly have high defense, resist all of those. And Aggron gets a shiny new evolution that ditched its rock typing.

You can wall the super finisher final boss pokemon so hard. It's a shame they gimped Steven do bad relative to his other appearances.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

Man, if you gave this thing any more, it'd be seriously broken. Hahahahahahahahaha.

:unsmigghh:

I'm slightly bothered by the fact that Steven uses the rival battle theme instead of the Champion music. That level jump for his team is insane, though.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
OLD SHRIMP POKEMON

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I used to feel like I could predict where the roaming legendaries would jump to next. Back in Gold as a kid, I would go to Violet City and run back and forth, waiting for them to come to me. Every once in a while, though, I'd get a feeling that they were about to be somewhere, and eventually I think I was right more often than not. I skipped the roamers in Gen 3, but later in Platinum when it came time to do that gen's roamers, those intuitions came back once again. I didn't keep any hard data on how often I was right, but catching all five didn't take too terribly long, so who knows. Of course, having the tracker on the second screen helped immensely too.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Worth noting something about the roaming legendaries:

quote:

In the Generation III games, the data for a Pokémon's IVs are stored in a 32-bit integer. However, when a roaming Pokémon is caught, only the last 8 bits are transferred. While the HP IV is unaffected, the Pokémon can only have a maximum Attack IV of 7. The other IVs will always be 0.

Due to this, their Hidden Power type will always be Fighting with a power of 30 or 31.
oops!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I like Steven's team a lot. Giving him the two fossils fits his character pretty well, and also gives him better team diversity than most of the 'pick a type' style trainers. Of course, there's also the random Claydol, which is a bit odd in an otherwise well-planned team for the character, and Aggron's wonky moveset so who knows what GF were thinking. I'm pretty impressed at you taking him on with such an underlevelled team, too.

re: the roaming Lati@s, I'm surprised you didn't talk about the Acro Bike trick. If you know what you're doing, this is one of the few roamers' whose annoyance can almost entirely be mitigated. I can't claim credit for the method and I forget where I first learned it, but regardless, hopping in place still triggers encounters without counting as steps for purposes of things like Repels or the Safari Zone. So you can go somewhere like the entrance to Cycling Road on Route 110, where there's grass very near a door you can use to quickly reset the route, pick a lead pokemon just under Lati@s' level, use Repel and hop for a bit to check if it's there or not. If you use Wynaut/Wobbuffet you can also save your Master Ball, you can trap it and use Mirror Coat to weaken it fairly reliably. That said, roaming pokemon are still horrendous bullshit and I hate them.

rannum posted:

Worth noting something about the roaming legendaries:
oops!

They actually fixed that bug in Emerald! It's accurate for R/S and FR/LG though. There is one other oddity worth discussing, though: the IVs and nature etc of the roaming pokemon are saved when it's generated by the game (in this one, when you decide what colour BZZT is), not when you capture it, so it's very difficult to reset for them if that's something you'd want to do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roaming Pokemon are terrible and removing that particular problem was one of the better things Game Freak could've done. The Gen 6 interpretation wasn't much better, but at least they're gone completely now.

Letting you get all the version mascots is cool and good though and I miss being able to do that. It'd make livingdexes far easier.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

roaming pokemon were almost tolerable in DPt and that's because the poketch tracked their current location.
Except even then this is offset by Cresselia & Mesprit needing to train up a wobuffet and platinum having 5 roaming pokemon. And all three of the legendary birds knew roost because gently caress you!

Thundurus/Tornadus were a little better in that you only had to deal with 1 of them, they roamed only half of unova, and you had a specific instant tell they were in the area, but its still bad.

Explopyro posted:

They actually fixed that bug in Emerald! It's accurate for R/S and FR/LG though. There is one other oddity worth discussing, though: the IVs and nature etc of the roaming pokemon are saved when it's generated by the game (in this one, when you decide what colour BZZT is), not when you capture it, so it's very difficult to reset for them if that's something you'd want to do.

Oh huh you're right, I didn't read the bulbapedia header properly. Still means that if you want actually usable legendary dogs you need colosseum, though. Well that and not needing to play FRLG three times to get all of them while dealing with all their other bs.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I talk about the bug when we go over the dogs in FRLG, but I did forget that it applied to the Latis in RS. I also forgot about the Acro Bike trick as well, maybe I should give it some credit since it's useless otherwise. I was just surprised how quickly and easily I found Latios (after, you know, hacking in an encounter), especially compared to tracking the roamer down in the Kanto remake.

But yeah, Platinum was the only time roamers were kinda fun to track since it didn't involve constantly going in and out of the Pokedex.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Rayquaza has been one of my favorite legendaries ever since I saw its shiny sprite. I think I have 4 or 5 shiny ones now, it just looks so cool! One of these days I might even get around to making one of them competitive, if one of them has a workable nature.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MissileWaster posted:

Rayquaza has been one of my favorite legendaries ever since I saw its shiny sprite. I think I have 4 or 5 shiny ones now, it just looks so cool! One of these days I might even get around to making one of them competitive, if one of them has a workable nature.

And then there's the ORAS version.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rannum posted:

roaming pokemon were almost tolerable in DPt and that's because the poketch tracked their current location.
Except even then this is offset by Cresselia & Mesprit needing to train up a wobuffet and platinum having 5 roaming pokemon. And all three of the legendary birds knew roost because gently caress you!
I mean gen 4 is the gen that introduced a metric shitton of legendaries which still haunt my dreams when I think about completing any kind of Pokedex, so it gets no free pass when talking about legends.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
30 levels on you. Is he this game's Red? Or are there vast numerical postgame realms to explore?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Everything in that update is all the regular postgame Emerald has. All that's left is various battle facilities and other such things you probably won't go for.

I only fought Steven at that level since, uh, there aren't anymore trainers left, aside from the Elite Four. I'm not in any hurry to rematch them, since they're identical.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

30 levels on you. Is he this game's Red? Or are there vast numerical postgame realms to explore?
He's the Red, yes.
What he showed is basically it. You have the trainers on the boat, some people in the Trick House aaaand that's it. I think there might be post-game updates to the people in the Match Call, but that varies hard based on the trainers in question. There are significantly leveled up rematches against the gym leaders but good luck ever seeing those in even a thorough play through, much less multiple times

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

FRLG Part 4: Rocketing Through Six

Rocket Warehouse

I hope you like spinners, cause there's a lot of them!

Maybe you'll be able to tell where I'm going, but there's a lot of spinners, so probably not.

Figuring out how to get to the load of items in this place does require a bit of thinking.

If you have a friend (or a second GBA), then Porygon2 can now be yours.

While they would fetch a pretty penny, I've got enough cash right now.

C'mon, you can haggle better than that.

Wheeeeeeee

TEAM ROCKET broke up? What planet are you from?

Lots of valuable stuff to nick.

What is it with the Rockets hiding neat balls?

Spinner slalom

Finally, Vegeta has been needing this all game. Sucks when good stuff is postgame.

Don't... you... dare... laugh... Don't mess in the doings of adults, you jumped-up pip-squeak!

Oh hey, it's an Admin! They have the exact same sprite as a regular Grunt, so, uh, they're real special.

Familiar Pokemon choice too, but eh, it's probably not someone very important. Like what kind of scrubby admin doesn't have a unique sprite???

I understand now... I've made it so you can come back in through there. Why don't you go get rested and refreshed for what lies ahead? The ADMIN after me outranks me thoroughly as a TRAINER. You'd better steel yourself for one harsh challenge.

It's such an obvious attempt to cause confusion in our ranks. Fortunately, we're not so ignorant to fall for the lies of a child! And now, I'll show you how scary an angry adult can be!

This guy has a proper tough team and everything. But, well, he's still part of Team Rocket, so he's not that interesting.

...th-that's GIOVANNI's BADGE! So it's true? TEAM ROCKET has disbanded?

I will find GIOVANNI. And I will resurrect TEAM ROCKET! I will... Until then, farewell!

Oh yeah, we still have this berk to deal with.

Let's see if this science boy is anything of note.

I hope you're not surprised he isn't.

He seems a bit upset, but hey, we've got the last gem, so back to Celio!

One Island Town

FUGURI, you've gone through a lot to get this, didn't you? You don't have to tell me. I know it wasn't easy. Thank you so much! Now it's my turn to work for you! Please give me a little time.

FUGURI... FUGURI, I did it! I've managed to link up with TRAINERS in the HOENN region! Finally, the Network Machine is fully operational! FUGURI, I owe it all to you! Thanks to you, my dream came true... I... I'm not crying. That's enough about me! FUGURI, you're going to keep looking for exotic POKEMON, right? I wish you the best of luck!

How crazy, we can now trade to RSE, the same generation! Yeah, this sidequest was kinda cool, but I'm glad they didn't attempt something like this again, it would've gotten old real fast having to keep completing the game just to trade to other Pokemon games.

FUGURI, is there anything that you can't stand? Apparently, BILL simply can't stomach milk at all.

By the way, FUGURI, you're from PALLET TOWN, aren't you? I've heard that it's a quiet and pleasant place. BILL's hometown is GOLDENROD CITY, where his folks still live. I've heard that it's quite the festive, bustling city. I'd like to go there one day.

FUGURI, what's your favorite kind of POKEMON? BILL is a POKEMANIAC, so he loves every kind. Apparently, the first one he caught was an ABRA.

Neat Bill trivia for the Fame Checker.

I've started bringing in items from distant lands. I've got some rare items in, too. Please have a look!

Here's the main reason for doing the gem quest, Timer Balls and Lava Cookies! While it is a bit late for Lava Cookies, there's still a fair few legendaries to use Timer Balls on, so this is pretty helpful.

Neat. I think I'll hatch one more Egg and leave it there, no need to complete the Pokedex after all.

Surfing

With all the important necessary stuff out of the way, we've still got most of Six Island and all of Seven Island to go over.

Man we just keep going up in levels, surpassing the original Yellow and Crystal teams! And probably Emerald as well, let's be honest.

When I can't be with my boyfriend, I spend time with the POKEMON he gave me.

Mate you have no idea.

Oh, no, no, no. I couldn't lift the stigma of being a SWIMMER...

Water Path

(MIA) Hello, POKEMON! It's time to battle!

(MIU) It makes me all sad inside when we lose...

(MIA) You're mean! You're bad for winning! Ohh... I'm sorry, my POKEMON...

"Love it, need it, HERACROSS!"

Hey. Phrasing. This is the size measurer for this game and if you break the record, you get a Nest Ball. It's the only way to get multiple and they are helpful to catch all the low level Pokemon around here, but Heracross is a pain to catch as is.

You ever seen a Sunkern that strong? Absolutely mental.

I want to go to the woods over there, but... there are lots of BUG POKEMON. They scare me a little.

Bug infested forest, eh? Man, what a copy of Viridian Forest. Enough with the endless Gen 1 references already!

Pattern Bush

For whatever reason the area of Green Path extends to this bit, but here's a small forest.

I bet you think I'm weak, don't you, eh? Ayup, you townies come around all so dandy with a hat that flashy... how about giving me that?

There's also a boatload of trainers in this small space for whatever reason. You're right, I would usually skip over them, but I apparently did that already by just, uh, not recording a chunk of this area. Probably pressed the stop record button without realising, but hey, you didn't miss much.

There's some bugs to catch here, surprise surprise, with Ledyba being more common in LG and Spinarak in FR. Okay, now I can skip the trainers.

I dunno how they squeezed in so many, but they're there.

If you take this entire area as one image, like, uh, here, then you can see a weird pattern. What do you think it is?

We missed a couple level ups, but everyone is now at 52. Onto 53!

We've got plenty of healing items, so there's just no need.

Green Path

Out on the other side. Let's see how green this place is!

Off to an auspicious start.

Big boo-boo! I am so scatterbrained! I need to focus so I can TELEPORT properly to my house!

And that was Green Path! It has a lot of water in it... unlike Water Path, which had that large grassy island in it. Hmm. I mean, I guess Pattern Bush counts?

I didn't lose to you at swimming. This doesn't bother me. Are you headed for the island up past here? I didn't see anything interesting there.

Let's have a two-on-two marine battle!

I'm hanging onto my sister because I can't touch the bottom.

Oh, you're amazing! Even better, you're on your own! You know, I do prefer the sea over any pool.

I think this is the last goddamn Swimmer in this game. It's a miracle.

Everyone's deciding to learn dumb moves at this time.

This guy might be in trouble... but at least it's one less Swimmer in the world.

Fishermen are okay. So long as they don't have six Magikarp.

Nope, no luck at all... I can't very well go home without catching something, though.

We've travelled a long way. What's our reward? Is it a legendary? Please tell me it's a legendary.

Oh. It's just fuckin Altering Cave. How completely useless. Still, least it's actually well hidden compared to it being shoehorned into Route 103.

Alright Seven Island, what you got?

Ah, e-Reader house. Grrrrrrreat.

Sounds like something interesting is up north.

Somewhere on this island, peculiar POKEMON are sleeping. Could it be that they're waiting for you?

In your future, I sense that you will meet many others. I think you will be linked to each other by a strange power.

Let's see what we've got.

Oh hey, it's the Trainer Hill, but slightly different. Guess we'll go over them both at another time.

If I train here, I'm convinced that I'll get stronger and stronger. Yep, stronger and stronger. How would you like to learn a move like that? It's SWORDS DANCE.

Tempting, but nah. Next time, we'll be exploring the last island and then seeing what the rest of the postgame has to offer.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing you're coming back for the other special dialog, but easier to miss is you can inspect the computer the rocket is looking at

quote:

A report with graphs and text is on the PC monitor. "The Influence of Magnetic Waves of POKEMON Evolution"...
... ... ... ... ... ...
It's too difficult to understand...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Spinners"? :confused:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Archer and Arianna manage to be boring even before they're officially characters.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

"Spinners"? :confused:

You step on them and they spin you around! If they have another name, I don't care to know it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

You step on them and they spin you around! If they have another name, I don't care to know it!
So, they don't move you in the direction of the arrows on them?

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

Zereth posted:

So, they don't move you in the direction of the arrows on them?

They send you in the direction of the arrows while spinning.

...Yes, the spinning is just a cosmetic effect, but it adds just a bit more character to an otherwise forgettable gimmick.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh! I see.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby!

Hi, there's some differences between RS and Emerald and I'll go over them because why not? We'll be playing Ruby since Sapphire has a lot in common with Emerald, so this gives the most complete RSE experience, if you wanted that for some reason you fuckin weirdo.

All the trades are different and they're maybe better, maybe worse? Only one is pretty trash and getting an early Makuhita for the Gym is pretty good, especially if you chose Torchic. It's also cute that the trade cinematic is different in Emerald.

The Trainer's Eyes automatically registers any trainer you've battled that can be registered. And there's less to register in RS of course. If you're curious, we did register all 84 trainers in the LP, so I'm very chuffed about that.

Pickup in these games are great, we'll be seeing all the nice loot I get. Here's a peek at the team, I'll be using six different mons in this game and we'll see them grow throughout this update.

Contest Halls are scattered across the region instead of being in one nice place in Lilycove. You can start contests a lot earlier than in Emerald, before the third badge instead of before the seventh, but it's still whatever.

Look at all this cut content we never saw!

All the items we could get from Contest Halls are in more or less the same place, so it's not a loss.

We got Giddy for our old guy, who is as useful as you remember. Also we can do Contests starting in Verdanturf! We're not going to do Contests.

Petalburg Gym is different in that trainers use items instead of their own moves, which isn't as good.

The Zero Reduction Room is replaced by the Confusion Room in Emerald.

Neat. You can see how our team is shaping up. They're not too amazing, but they get the job done.

Next up on our journey is the Weather Institute, since we encounter a character we saw in the background for a minute in the Seafloor Cavern!

You're either absolutely fearless, simply ignorant, or both! You're so cute, you're disgusting! I'll put you down, kiddy!

It's Courtney! If you don't remember her before the remakes came out, that's because she is a palette swap of Shelly. Or Shelly is the palette swap since Ruby comes first? Ah whatever, it's not as bad with Matt and Tabitha, since you encounter them both in Emerald and they kinda feel different.

Ahahahaha! We got meddled with unexpectedly! We're out of options. We'll have to pull out. But this isn't the last you'll see of TEAM MAGMA! We have other plans! Don't you forget it!

Trade two is Pikachu for Skitty, which is pretty nice, though we can't get Pikachu until the Safari Zone. Skitty is still a 2% encounter in this game, so this is an easy way of getting one. Though since this is Ruby and there's no Lunatone, you can only evolve Skitty or Jigglypuff unless you trade. Pretty lovely.

Here's all my luck for this run, yet again I encountered the 1% Kecleon in the grass and I also got the 1% King's Rock from Pickup. Not that I need one, but hey, might as well get the flinch chance. (I don't remember if I ever got the flinch chance).

You've impeded our plans repeatedly, but this time you're too late. The BLUE ORB that rested atop MT. PYRE... I, MAXIE, claim it as mine! Fufufu... finally, I can realize my grand design... Come on crew! It's SLATEPORT next!

The BLUE ORB and RED ORB must never be seperated. They belong together. Hmm... fine! You take the remaining RED ORB! Please take after that foul man and get the other ORB back!

They must never be apart... something terrible will happen...

This just looks wrong. I wonder why the evil teams pick up the wrong coloured orb. Is that a mistake on their part, or is the orb meant to properly control the legendaries, but they're grouchy when they first wake up? Ah whatever.

The Magma Hideout is kinda different to the Aqua Hideout and features a pretty cool background you don't see anywhere else.

You absolutely need to pick up the Master Ball now, since the Hideout gets sealed after beating the Mossdeep Gym. You're right, that is pretty lovely.

It's cool the submarine dock is mirrored for no real reason, but anyway, Mossdeep Gym was changed in Emerald, so here's what you're probably more familiar with.

Just go around flipping switches to change the arrows. You need to flip every switch once to reach the Gym Leaders.

Around and around we go.

If you want to find that last trainer then you need to flip this switch last. Now the path to the Leaders are clear. And we're not seeing double this time!

They've only got the two Pokemon in RS, so Tate & Liza are so much easier. Still pretty tough though.

Now that I've become an old buzzard, my only amusement is watching young TRAINERS battle.

e-Reader, motherfucker!

Welcome everyone to the quiz bonus round! Like before, we've got questions to answer and you get one point for a correct answer and another point for certain questions where you need to show your working! Hard mode is answering every question! Let's go!!!
A

ONE OF THESE POKEMON IS NOT FOUND ON ROUTE 103. WHICH ONE IS IT? ZIGZAGOON/NINCADA/POOCHYENA
B

ONE OF THESE POKEMON USES SCRATCH. WHICH ONE IS IT? SHROOMISH/NINCADA/SURSKIT
B

Unlike the two ! of the Emerald version, this time the layout is a ?.
A

IN PROF. BIRCH'S BAG, THERE WERE THREE POKEMON. WHICH ONE WAS AT THE RIGHT? TREECKO/TORCHIC/MUDKIP
C

WHICH POKEMON WAS OFFERED FOR A TRADE AT THE POKEMON TRAINER'S SCHOOL? SEEDOT/SHROOMISH/SPINDA
A

Don't you just love maths?
Escape Rope is $550, so sells for $275, while an Antidote is $100, leaving $175, so C.

WHICH COSTS MORE? THREE POKEBALLS OR ONE SUPER POTION? POKEBALL/SUPER POTION/SAME PRICE
Pokeballs are $200 each, so $600 for three, while Super Potions are $700, so A.

DO ONE FULL HEAL AND GREAT BALL COST MORE THAN ONE REVIVE?
Full Heals are $600 and Great Balls are $600, so $1200, while Revives are $1500, so B.

Get remembering everyone!
Including the Sludge Bomb lover, there are six men, while there are three women, so A.

RUSTBORO GYM LEADER ROXANNE USED A GEODUDE. WAS IT MALE OR FEMALE? MALE/FEMALE/NEITHER
B

THE FIRST TRAINER IN DEWFORD GYM WAS MALE OR FEMALE? MALE/FEMALE/IT DEPENDS
B

The last question is always a bit tricky.
A

HOW MANY BIKES DOES RYDEL HAVE ON DISPLAY OUTSIDE HIS CYCLE SHOP? 6/8/10
B

HOW MANY SIGNS ARE THERE IN LILYCOVE CITY? 6/7/8
C

Moving on, I'll be using Registeel as my last team member since I couldn't think of one for the final slot. I don't want another Water type, after all. Oh yeah, the last trade in the game at Pacifidlog is Bellossom for Corsola. What an awful trade. Not the worst one, I think that's still the Lickitung for Dugtrio in Yellow, but you can find Corsola before getting to that trade and you're using your only Sun Stone to get a Bellossom to then trade. If you're playing Sapphire and Emerald, then that's it, no more Sun Stones for you. Pass.

And that's all for Courtney, onto the lava dino.

Why is this at the bottom of the ocean?

Good... that should have happened. That is why we awakened GROUDON, to realize TEAM MAGMA's vision of expanding the world's landmass. What?! It's far hotter than we envisioned? It's so hot that it's dangerous? This can't be... that's just not possible...

The world's seas will dry up and disappear...

I kept this all in because it really undercuts the dramatic tension when everyone's talking about sunshine.

Drought Drizzle

Let's go over to Sootopolis!

My name is WALLACE. I'm this town's GYM LEADER. I've also been entrusted with the protection of the CAVE OF ORIGIN. The sunshine is caused by a power emanating from the CAVE OF ORIGIN. That... that is the RED ORB. I see. Follow me.

But why does this sunlight fill us with so much dread? The blazing sun over SOOTOPOLIS is intensifying... soon, all of HOENN will be under its withering glare... If that were to happen...

No one from SOOTOPOLIS is permitted to enter the CAVE OF ORIGIN. But you must go. Together with your RED ORB. You must go regardless of what awaits you inside the CAVE...

HARUKA, I never expected you to be holding the RED ORB. You'll be okay. With your POKEMON, you'll get things done no matter what. I'm convinced of it!

Oh great we need Flash to get through here. Bah.

Don't forget to pick this up!

While the story is still super dumb, we at least get to fight something at the end of it!

Weather Titan Battle

Both Kyogre and Groudon are pretty nasty to fight, especially at this stage of the game. Kyogre hits especially hard with its Water attacks and Groudon should really be fought with a Flying type due to the ridiculous power of Earthquake.

Just hit it with Water moves to weaken it and then start chucking balls.

Uh, yeah, like that. Man that was a bit too easy.

"thanks, too."

And, that same WALLACE is waiting for you inside. He's strong. But the way you are now, you should be on equal footing with him. Give it your best shot.

Let's fight a Cham- I mean, uh, Gym Leader.

There's something about you... a difference in your demeanor. I think I sense that in you. What happened inside the CAVE OF ORIGIN, and what you did, I will likely learn through our upcoming battle. Now, show me. Show me the power you wield with your POKEMON. And I, in turn, shall present you with a performance of illusions in water by me and my POKEMON!

VS Gym Leader

Wallace/Mikuri: Artist, and lover of water.

Wallace has a few Pokemon similarities with both Juan and his Champion team, but this Seaking is completely unique and his Milotic is slightly less dangerous.

His Pokemon just love using Water Pulse and Rain Dance.

Wanna neuter this thing asap, since it can be a wall that chips you down bit by bit, especially in rain.

That's looking like a 2HKO.

drat it, guess Sea Salt will have to finish up.

I find much joy in having met you and your POKEMON. You have proven yourself worthy of the RAIN BADGE. Accept it.

"every command you make."

The BADGE also allows the use of the HM move WATERFALL to scale walls of cascading water. And, so that you never forget the battle we shared, take this...

Right, with all that done, since the Mossdeep Gym changed in Emerald, so too did the Trick House challenge.

It's basically the same puzzle as the Gym, flip every switch once. The trainers are the same as the respective challenge in Emerald.

The way to get the scroll is a bit sneaky, you need to flip a switch again to reach the teleporter since you're in a dead end.

There we go, as easy as that!

Alright, it's Steven time! Battle me, luscious man.

You... what did you see on your journey with POKEMON? What did you feel, meeting so many other TRAINERS like you? What has awoken in you? I want you to hit me with it all! Now, bring it!

VS Champion Steven

His team in Emerald is nearly identical to his Champion one, with only two changes, Ingrain instead of Sludge Bomb on Cradily and Shadow Ball instead of Hyper Beam on Metagross. Since his team isn't 30 levels above us, he's vaguely manageable, but still pretty tough.

So far so good. It'd suck if he brought out the big guns now.

This mon is a problem!!!

At least we can outspeed it but goddamn.

Now here's something I had no idea about, since I haven't played RS since I was a kid. Revival Herbs only restore half health. Just in these two games. That is absolutely, completely baffling, since it nerfs them down to a more expensive Revive that lowers your happiness. That's literally it, it's so weird. Thankfully they fixed it for FRLG, cause I love me my Revival Herbs.

Since Gigi can tank a hit or two, Kentucky finishes the job!

Oh yeah, his remaining Pokemon are still a fuckin problem. God I love this guy's team, it's so out there and pretty drat effective.

gently caress OFF WITH THIS poo poo

No Curse strats to save us this time, alas.

Ooh, nice and easy.

Ah, just kidding.

Okay, now we're on the last mon.

We've got Toxic strats instead, pretty drat good.

Kudos to you, HARUKA! You are a truly noble POKEMON TRAINER!

And those POKEMON that responded to those feelings with all their might... they came together as one, and created an even greater power. And thus, you were able to grasp victory today! You are rightfully the HOENN region's new...

Brendan Encounter

...HARUKA... are you trying to tell me... you've beaten the CHAMPION?

Good job team, they were a lot of fun to use, but I've used them all before (aside from Registeel), so I didn't want to use them again in the LP. Only Nobunaga and Calbrena have been used before, as well as Cold Gregg in ORAS, but I don't really count that, since Freeze Dry makes Glalie much more interesting.

Now it's the postgame. There is so so little to do in RS's postgame, like, three things total, in all honesty: the Eon roamer, Sky Pillar and the Battle Tower. Seriously, that's it, it's dumb.

Okay, there's technically the S.S. Tidal since you can just head straight to the Battle Tower. Let's give it a go!

Hey, these three Pokemon seem familiar. Might as well use them one last time.

"RIGHT NOW"

Now unlike the Battle Tower in Emerald, The RS one has a few differences. First, this is the game where streaks are introduced, so you're encouraged to win lots of battles in a row to get lots of neat prizes. There's the level 50 or level 100 challenge, but with single battles only, other battling modes were introduced in Emerald.

In the early streaks the AI is as special as always. You might notice that the only Pokemon we find here are those in the Hoenn Dex, though you encounter the same Pokemon between level 50 and 100, with the sets being the main difference. Just by scrolling through there's only one Banette set for whatever reason.

Seriously, having a Flying type just breaks the AI's brain I swear.

You'll also notice I didn't use the other two. That's because I didn't need to. It starts off super easy.

Now you might be thinking that's a bit poo poo, you only get a drink for beating seven trainers, just like last time. But there's the streak prizes. Until battle 35 (5 streaks), you'll get the various EV boosting items, but past that, you then obtain one of the competitive items as a reward instead, such as Choice Band, Quick Claw, Brightpowder, etc. It's pretty drat nifty, as well as the only way to obtain these items. All the other Battle Tower rewards for streaks are also in Emerald, so we'll go over them later.

That's it for this bonus thing I did. See ya!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been out of town this weekend, so here's something I made earlier while the next update is still in progress. Now I don't have anything else in case of another break, but it'll be fine. Probably.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been wondering why you were using revival herbs! I never noticed that they changed after RS, I always thought they were just lovely revives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

You can't run from the battle palace forever, cross.

Omega Ruby did realize just "harsh sunlight" doesn't get across danger very well so it's represented by setting the sky on fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUQ2t-zRtI&t=110s

• Locked thread