Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They already did Fedex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

They already did Fedex

Well at least they are thinking logically. Imagine if USPS or Australia Post was in charge of space mail.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm rewatching S1 and it blows my mind that someone came here to complain about its very low production values.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Back to never watching Syfy I guess lol

First excellent show theyve done in a while and they cancel it after 3 seasons? What a poo poo network

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ex post facho posted:

Back to never watching Syfy I guess lol

First excellent show theyve done in a while and they cancel it after 3 seasons? What a poo poo network

Why would any production company go to syfy after this?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Why would anyone watch Syfy after this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It blows my mind that we're a solid 15+ years into literally everyone having a DVR and networks are still only paying attention to live broadcast numbers.

Like even my parents have a cable modem video on demand thing last time I was home and my mom literally had to take a class to learn how to use a computer mouse. She is completely stumped by electronics and even she hasn't watched a TV show live in a decade at least.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember when Syfy changed their name and literally were like gently caress nerds that's not who want to watch our network anymore?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Guess The Expanse is just too good for this lovely channel

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

counterfeitsaint posted:

Remember when Syfy changed their name and literally were like gently caress nerds that's not who want to watch our network anymore?

Also dumped all the SciFi shows and replaced them with normal dramas and reality shows

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Its also very telling that Comcast/NBC Universal are Syfy's parent orgs, the same super stable brain geniuses that cancelled Hannibal after only 3 seasons :rolleye:

Im glad this generation is killing their business model, because it sucks rear end

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
loving lol that they canceled The Expanse and renewed that piece of crap 12 monkeys

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

kazmeyer posted:

Fortunately, the production set up makes the Expanse super portable. Basically Alcon paid for the show itself, and just sold the broadcast rights, which is why SyFy only gave a poo poo about live viewing numbers. (Essentially, stuff like buying the show online or buying the blu-rays didn't really help SyFy at all.) All they need to do is find somebody who wants to pay to broadcast it, and well, I think Netflix already pays for the international distribution rights so hopefully they'll wake the gently caress up and put this show in their stable.

See, this seems like what dug its grave, though. We're sitting here complaining about how Syfy apparently only cared about live viewers, but why would they ever sign a deal where only live viewers would benefit them when everyone just streams online? It sounds like it would have been better if Alcon cut Syfy in on some of the online sales since it would mean the network would actually be invested in the show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If Season 3 ends on a high note or closes a chapter of the overall story, it'll suck but I'll be fine with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Syfy actually bid on the show. It was apparently hot property because they committed to 10 episodes from the start without a pilot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Butts posted:

If Season 3 ends on a high note or closes a chapter of the overall story, it'll suck but I'll be fine with it.

Having read the books and seem the episode titles you should expect another cliffhanger ending.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Please god get picked up somewhere else

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Butts posted:

I would guess it's ending in the latter half of book three, which does not close the overall story in any way.

If nobody picks it up, the show's stuck reasonably close to the books so you can at least get story closure.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

logikv9 posted:

I'm going to guess that it won't be. Netflix has the international rights and Amazon has the American rights. That means neither company would be able to have it on their platform worldwide and would be potentially helping their competitor. So... no pick up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I would guess it's ending in the latter half of book three, which does not close the overall story in any way.

If nobody picks it up, the show's stuck reasonably close to the books so you can at least get story closure.

They haven't even got to the end of book 2 yet. Don't really see how they'd make it through most of 3 in the rest of the season in a satisfactory manner.

If this season ends up being the last we get there won't be a satisfying ending.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

sorry cant renew this show, we need the money to crank out more bong bang bing theray

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Just a chapter. Even if its a cliffhanger, I'll be OK with it as long as it's like Part 1 is over.

I mean, it's not like it's going to get an ending like Alphas did.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bloom posted:

They haven't even got to the end of book 2 yet. Don't really see how they'd make it through most of 3 in the rest of the season in a satisfactory manner.

I haven't read the second book in a while, but I'm guessing the next episode is the end of it, leaving seven more to get into the meat of book 3. Two more episodes at most before they're into book 3.

Doctor Butts posted:

Just a chapter. Even if its a cliffhanger, I'll be OK with it as long as it's like Part 1 is over.

I mean, it's not like it's going to get an ending like Alphas did.

I'm trying not to spoil anything, but I am very confident there is no satisfying series ending happening here.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
What the gently caress Syfy

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-netflix-please-buy-the-rights-to-the-expanse

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

syfy executive: this show is brilliant, i want 30 seasons of it

[signs paper titled, 'GHOST HUNTERS: EL PASO']

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't read the second book in a while, but I'm guessing the next episode is the end of it, leaving seven more to get into the meat of book 3. Two more episodes at most before they're into book 3.

There's still (giant spoilers for the next x episodes, non-bookreaders run for your lives) the Roci crew taking the facility on Io, Bobbie's fight with a hybrid, Holden's house of horrors trip to the Agatha King, and "we need to talk". I'd say that's at least 2 episodes. While they could get some way into book 3 in the remaining season, I don't know if there's really a good point to end it anywhere in the middle of that storyline.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

To be fair ghost hunters show requires a few dudes with a camera while THE EXPANSE requires a serious CGI budget and elaborate sets, costumes etc

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Fartbox posted:

To be fair ghost hunters show requires a few dudes with a camera while THE EXPANSE requires a serious CGI budget and elaborate sets, costumes etc

They could do their space battles in Unreal and render it at 4K and 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell.

As for where this will end: it's gonna end in the middle of book 3, just like season 2 ended in the middle of book 2.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well this is some bullshit, but you should probably blame SyFy less and blame advertisers more. They deeply prioritize their ads being seen in a timely fashion, hence timeshifted DVR viewing being not ideal for them. Totally stuck in the past.

Also, acting chops aside, Holden hews pretty closely to his book incarnation, so it's just hilarious when everyone complains about him being a bit of a one-note idealistic shithead with poor consequence prediction. Guys, that's his whole schtick.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fartbox posted:

Holden is the only bad casting choice. He does not fit a main protagonist and the actor isnt interesting enough

I have a theory Holden was cast because the dude looks vaguely like Jon Snow

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The authors talk about how Holden is tough even in the books because his character arc is the entire nine books. All the other characters have multiple shorter ones.

You're really not supposed to like Holden much at this point. Definitely in the first book (so everything up to Eros crashing into Venus) he's a total douche.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Steven Strait is intentionally being a poo poo actor? Good to know.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I have a theory Holden was cast because the dude looks vaguely like Jon Snow

I honestly don't see the resemblance, but I do agree with the opinion.

Is there any campaign started to get Netflix / whoever to pick the show up next season?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

So Steven Strait is intentionally being a poo poo actor? Good to know.

I think it's more that even a "good actor" would still be portraying a character that most people wouldn't particularly like.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I loved this episode, these scenes were great, and even though they made us hate Nguyen even more, I loved that they had his staff officer humanize him with the War story...

That little pause when he lowered his eyes before launching the torpedo was really good. He's a piece of poo poo, but he knew that blowing up a ship in his own fleet wasn't something to do lightly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bubbacub posted:

That little pause when he lowered his eyes before launching the torpedo was really good. He's a piece of poo poo, but he knew that blowing up a ship in his own fleet wasn't something to do lightly.

And on some level he is justified in his actions: Earth needs to acquire a PM-sample (or working weapons system) at all costs or be left behind. Poor Gwen definitely thought he was doing the right thing: he even gave the officers a chance to declare and leave if they had issues following his "lawful orders."

God this whole episode was so good and I am so pissed this got canned. COME ON BEZOS/NETFLIX!!!! :worship:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

it's pronounced nih-goo-yen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NEED MORE MILK posted:

syfy executive: this show is brilliant, i want 30 seasons of it

[signs paper titled, 'GHOST HUNTERS: EL PASO']

The Real Housewives of Romulus