Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gwaihir posted:

Nice. I've been going through Kenji's pizza recipe and my continual conclusion is that I never really get the dough quite right and it's always a little annoying but never enough to make it a bad pizza.

Spicy Sicilian first try:
Boar's head natural casing pepperoni, and goat cheese on half

Came out really well aside from I think me not using nearly enough olive oil in the pan to get that really good pan fried effect for the crust.

Detroit style attempt #1:
This one was sorta, well, a hot fuckin mess. I went way too heavy on the cheese and sauce, at least partially because this sauce is so loving good I could drink it straight up. Also it was in the oven a tad long:

Detroit style #2: More restraint edition. I didn't do the end to end cheese that the recipe/style calls for and just made it more like a normal pizza.

The crust on this one was fantastic. Ultra crisp crunch on the bottom, still light and puffed on the edges.

My only thing with these style crusts is, I cannot seem to get them to be very consistent thickness wise. The dought doesn't seem like one you want to work over too much in terms of stretch or rolling or whatnot, so the end result is that even with big puffy crusts on the side of the pizza, portions of the interior can be super duper thin. You can sorta see it in that last picture there.

Side note, but the baking steel + black pan combo is completely loving magic.

How do you get the crust so shiny and crispy-looking like that? Lot of oil in the dough? Or on the pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How do you get the crust so shiny and crispy-looking like that? Lot of oil in the dough? Or on the pan?

Oil in the pan. The goal is basically to fry the bottom of the crust.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Scored a bag of Caputo's Tipo Uno off a friend. Even after the first feeding of my starter, I can see noticeably stronger and stiffer gluten development. Excited to see how the bread turns out tomorrow, and the pizzas I'm making this weekend.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

kirtar posted:

Oil in the pan. The goal is basically to fry the bottom of the crust.

It's the trick for deep dish or "Detroit" style pizzas.

Gives that crispy browned ring around the upper edge of the crust.

I used to use plain veg oil when I was making pizzas at a college restaurant/bar that sold pizzas (among other stuff), but I've seen folks use pretend butter substitutes like Whirl as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ogopogo posted:

Can't wait to see them pics when you get your steel!

Grandma pie is a NYC thing, a slight variant on a Sicilian pizza. It's an olive oil covered square sheet pan pizza, dough stretched out on it and covered with mozz first then sauce. Grandma pie doesn't have as long a fermentation as a Sicilian and makes for a different kind of dough when cooked in the oven. It's an East Coast/NYC pizza for sure, slowly making its way out West (apparently - this is what I'm hearing from the pizza dudes I talk to). It's good!

They're also a thing in Australia, or at least something exactly like you describe is, if you go to the really old Italian places or some of the more adventurous new ones. I can think of a few places in Perth that do em and I imagine you could find them in Melbourne too.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What’s a good pizza dough recipe that isn’t wet as hell like in the OP

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've always found the pizza dough recipe that comes with a kitchenaid mixer to be pretty consistent and easy to work with.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

snyprmag posted:

I've always found the pizza dough recipe that comes with a kitchenaid mixer to be pretty consistent and easy to work with.

Already notice that the dough is way way dryer than the OPs. Can’t wait to cook it.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

snyprmag posted:

This pizza dough was amazing. Very good taste!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This took a while but patience always pays off. Over a year ago I was looking for a cheap, large steel earlier and I got access to a junkyard. But I was vary of getting anything from there because you never know if it's been the inside of an oil tank or something. Well apparently you can tell if you know what to look for.

Anyway a friend found an 8mm thick by 47cm square piece (that's nearly 3/8" by 18.5") he says is just a waste cut from something else so its fresh steel, he had it at home (got loads of steel and junk, always rebuilding something) and I'm getting it for less than 10 bucks. Gonna cut it round and put it on my weber grill. Will make for an excellent pizza steel and general frying surface.

Gonna weld up some bars on the underside to prevent heat warping anyway.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

If it's 8mm thick I doubt that fucker is going anywhere from heat warping.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You'd be surprised how much metal can warp from heat, some types are more prone to it than others, a big factor when welding... anything really. Some of the commerical stuff I've seen like this 1/4 model, has three pieces tacked on the bottom to counteract this, I was gonna do the same thing, better safe than sorry I think:

https://patronsofthepit.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/review-breakfast-with-the-mojoe-griddle/

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Can you freeze dough or refrigerate? If so for how long.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fridge yes, for like a week. Freezer yesbut ymmv depending on packing.

when you chill depends on your recipe. I personally like to parbake a pizza then freeze rather than freeze the raw dough. No day needed to thaw in the fridge.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

You'd be surprised how much metal can warp from heat, some types are more prone to it than others, a big factor when welding... anything really. Some of the commerical stuff I've seen like this 1/4 model, has three pieces tacked on the bottom to counteract this, I was gonna do the same thing, better safe than sorry I think:

https://patronsofthepit.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/review-breakfast-with-the-mojoe-griddle/

Welding is by definition getting the piece hot enough to melt (3100°C), and the heat is highly localised. Your oven/grill isn't getting anywhere near that hot - charcoal maxes out at 1100°C and the heating is going to be a lot more even.

I have a baking steel which is about 8-10mm thick that lives in the middle/bottom shelf of my oven as a temperature regulator (used to be used for pizza til I got my countertop electric pizza oven) and that goes nowhere at all. I even had it directly on my largest burner for ~20 mins before to try and get it to the hottest temp possible and there was no warping at all. I honestly think you'll struggle to warp it, even putting it over a barbecue or grill or whatever. Still I guess it won't hurt to weld some bits on, just seems unnecessary.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 16, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Man I wish I could find a cheap pizza pan without a nonstick coating

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Or I should say, without teflon. I wouldn't mind preseasoned

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lodge pizza pan is only $40 but it's also only 14", do you need bigger than that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Lodge pizza pan is only $40 but it's also only 14", do you need bigger than that?

No that's big enough, thanks.

Another question, is there a way to keep the oil from being pressed out to the edges when you're shaping your dough on the pan so the whole bottom will fry instead of just the edges?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

yikes just find a restaurant supply near you for any size aluminium pan.

/e- the whole dough will fry, use more oil

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I can confidently say here the answer is just MORE OIL. The dough will just soak it up and it'll be REAL GOOD.

e: also fuckit now im makin pizza this weekend too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No that's big enough, thanks.

Another question, is there a way to keep the oil from being pressed out to the edges when you're shaping your dough on the pan so the whole bottom will fry instead of just the edges?

I go around the pan and lift the edges right before I top and bake to get oil back underneath. Had huge problems with the dough sticking to the pan before, but almost none at all since I started doing that regularly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I made Kenji’s no knead garlic focaccia yesterday/today, which is essentially the pan pizza dough with some roasted garlic. While the bread came out fantastic, all I can think about is how much better it will be when I make the full pan pizza experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OK I got my frying plate / pizza steel done now. My stick welding needs work but good enough I guess. I wasn't gonna bother actually (lazyness) but when I put it down I found I needed the "legs" anyway to act as risers or it would not fit on the grill. So eh. Also found out I need to drill some holes so I can lower and remove it with handles.

Now to season it.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

OK I got my frying plate / pizza steel done now. My stick welding needs work but good enough I guess. I wasn't gonna bother actually (lazyness) but when I put it down I found I needed the "legs" anyway to act as risers or it would not fit on the grill. So eh. Also found out I need to drill some holes so I can lower and remove it with handles.

Now to season it.

Wildly curious to see the pizzas on this! That sucker oughta hold some good heat.

A sausage and mushroom from the other night -

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just bought a house, and my and my wife want an outdoor patio pizza oven stat. Any suggestion? I'd prefer it not be smokey/sooty after the first 2, which I felt was a real problem from my friends Uuni oven. Maybe he was using it poorly?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you are burning wood/pellets, there is going to be some smoke/soot, especially when just starting up.

How big are you looking for? The Uuni is a great little oven, but if you want something a little less finnicky, with a lot more space, look into Pizza Party ovens. I've had the Pizzone for a few years now and it is fantastic.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

If you are burning wood/pellets, there is going to be some smoke/soot, especially when just starting up.

How big are you looking for? The Uuni is a great little oven, but if you want something a little less finnicky, with a lot more space, look into Pizza Party ovens. I've had the Pizzone for a few years now and it is fantastic.

Seconding Pizza Party, great ovens and have held up well over the years. Their price point is drat good too, especially being shipped from Italy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Now to season it.

Why are you making pizza on Boadicea's chariot wheel? That's a historical artefact, you swine!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://www.stadlermade.com/products/outdoor-oven/

I was looking at that one which is like $650 shipped...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ShaneB posted:

https://www.stadlermade.com/products/outdoor-oven/

I was looking at that one which is like $650 shipped...

my big inhabition about that would be the stone size, less than a foot wide.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It looks like the stone is above the fire, acting as it's own heating element. Gonna burn the poo poo out of the bottom of a pie before you get any browning on the top.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You think the Uuni is good, though? Maybe it was just user error on my friends part. I didn't really watch them cook anything. Also their dough recipe isn't really.. good... at all.

also found this: https://www.roccbox.com/us/product/

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 4, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Roccbox LOOKS good, but I have never used it. I'd bet money that the floor needs significant reheat time between pizzas though.

Never judge an appliance by its lovely included recipe. Especially if that appliance is Scandinavian.The Uuni CAN be good. Even with a true WFO now, I still consider the best pizza I have ever made to be one that I made in my Uuni 2. It's super finicky though. The most TLDR way I can write to make it work well is:

1. Light it up
2. Once fully lit, knock a bunch of extra pellets down to flame it way up
3. Once that big flame up has burned down, make your pizza
4. Knock a bunch more pellets down to cause a big flame up
5. Launch your pizza
6. Turn your pizza after 30 seconds
7. Check pizza after 30 seconds, and every 10 seconds thereafter until done.

For more pizzas, repeat from step 2.

Cooking a pizza sucks so much heat out of the aluminum floor that you need another full blast heat cycle to get it back up to temp, and you need to knock pellets down manually to get enough heat for the top once launched.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

The Roccbox LOOKS good, but I have never used it. I'd bet money that the floor needs significant reheat time between pizzas though.

Never judge an appliance by its lovely included recipe. Especially if that appliance is Scandinavian.

No I mean my friends recipe is bad.

Thanks for instructions though!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You could build a pizza oven... :ohdear:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I skillet pizza'd. One classic pepperoni and one sausage/mushroom/peppers.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Oven pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm planning on getting a mini baking steel griddle soon (since Kenji loves it, and Kenji is god). Any trip reports of its utility as a pizza stone? Tips?