Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this is just a plot to get me to read the books right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

StashAugustine posted:

this is just a plot to get me to read the books right

That's thin soup, because just about every plot line is improved on the TV show to some degree. It's gonna give you a real bad case of MIGHT HAVE BEEN.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you should, the books are good except for the most recent one which is, uh, real bad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well as others have pointed out at least it's possible another company could fund future seasons.

If Syfy was directly producing/owning this show then the news would pretty much ended the series.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 11, 2018

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

ex post facho posted:

Why would anyone watch Syfy after this?

It's liberating! I made it a point to watch the show on SyFy sans F-bombs to try and support the metric in which they were interested. Now I have no reason so to do. And by moving to another venue for viewing I'll be showing my vote for an alternative business model.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey you should watch the show so it gets renewed! :sun:

womp womp

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

drewhead posted:

It's liberating! I made it a point to watch the show on SyFy sans F-bombs to try and support the metric in which they were interested. Now I have no reason so to do. And by moving to another venue for viewing I'll be showing my vote for an alternative business model.

Yeah...kind of glad I no longer feel obligated to watch in on stupid SyFy.

Maximum Irony: SyFy Wire, the channel's ad-time news blip (think MTV News), made a point of identifying a bunch of new Marvel properties on a bunch of new streaming services during the episode of the Hugo-award-winning show they were about to cancel because not enough people watched it live...

drunkill posted:

womp womp

:imunfunny:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ex post facho posted:

Why would anyone watch Syfy after this?

The Magicians is also good.

What I want to know who these people are watching Krypton, because apparently it supplants The Expanse and those people are wrong and need to be spaced.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Krypton is a big fat mess of a show.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This statement rules.

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/994971886210568192?s=19

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's about Superman though, and maybe if people watch it hard enough Snyder Senpai will come and guest direct an episode

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Obligatory didn't ask for this :[

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi, how can I give money to this show in Canada if I don't have a TV? Can I buy the episodes somewhere reasonable that isn't part of some bullshit subscription package?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Baronjutter posted:

Hi, how can I give money to this show in Canada if I don't have a TV? Can I buy the episodes somewhere reasonable that isn't part of some bullshit subscription package?

Amazon is probably the best place, but it's on iTunes and all of the rest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Amazon is probably the best place, but it's on iTunes and all of the rest.

I can find physical DVD's on amazon but nothing else. Don't want to install anything bloaty that tries to take over your computer's media like itunes. When ever I buy digital media I'm used to just paying some money then getting a download link. Has that model been totally run out of town for TV because everyone wants you to download some media management program that syncs your clouds to your streaming library or some bloated confusing bullshit that won't even let you watch your files if you're not signed in and online?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I can find physical DVD's on amazon but nothing else. Don't want to install anything bloaty that tries to take over your computer's media like itunes. When ever I buy digital media I'm used to just paying some money then getting a download link. Has that model been totally run out of town for TV because everyone wants you to download some media management program that syncs your clouds to your streaming library or some bloated confusing bullshit that won't even let you watch your files if you're not signed in and online?

You are poo poo out of luck. :(
I looked everywhere, but It's basically bellmedia or nothing. Either CraveTV or watch it live on space.
Exclusivity deals are loving bullshit, but at least we don't have it as bad as the Europeans.

They have to wait 6 months past the airdate just to get it on Netflix. Way to encourage piracy guys.

E: wait, Itunes seems to have it now. Totally sympathize with you there though. Itunes is a bloated mess.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 11, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've read SpoilerTV and am glad that at least two key things should still make it into this season: The ring station seems to be going up in episode 7, and since there's 10 episodes, we hopefully get the guy splatting against the bulkhead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Protip for Show Watchers: don't mouse over any spoilers now that the news has dropped! :ssh:

Baronjutter posted:

Amazon lets you watch through your browser so you can just watch on your PC/Console or jack your pc/laptop/phone into your TV via HDMI/Chromecast but if that's too much then :rip: I guess? :shrug:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Season-3/dp/B07BNVJK3R

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

xerxus posted:

https://www.jamessacorey.com/expanse-streaming/
Amazon Prime has the streaming rights.

Like Hannibal (which was Prime exclusive in USA, Netflix internationally), Netflix won't want to fund a program where they can't show the first 3 seasons to their main audience.

Unlike Hannibal, Amazon will probably be able to get a 4th season produced in a reasonable time. (Bryan Fuller had a lot on his plates.)

This bit has me worried. Everyone seems to be petitioning Netflix to pick up the show, but Can Netflix even do that if Amazon has the streaming rights? Does Amazon have exclusive streaming rights in the US? It would appear not, seeing as it's also on Itunes, but who knows what tangle of legal shitfuckery is going on behind the scenes...

I hope this doesn't mean they have to get picked up by a broadcast network to survive.

Protip for Show Watchers: don't mouse over any spoilers now that the news has dropped! :ssh:

Amazon lets you watch through your browser so you can just watch on your PC/Console or jack your pc/laptop/phone into your TV via HDMI/Chromecast but if that's too much then :rip: I guess? :shrug:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Season-3/dp/B07BNVJK3R

...The heck? Why the hell did that not show up in search for me? Are you Canadian and have you actually streamed it?

Svaha fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 11, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've read SpoilerTV and am glad that at least two key things should still make it into this season: DUMB SPOILERY poo poo

Why do you feel like this was a post worth making?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Svaha posted:

This bit has me worried. Everyone seems to be petitioning Netflix to pick up the show, but Can Netflix even do that if Amazon has the streaming rights? Does Amazon have exclusive streaming rights in the US? It would appear not, seeing as it's also on Itunes, but who knows what tangle of legal shitfuckery is going on behind the scenes...

I hope this doesn't mean they have to get picked up by a broadcast network to survive.

...The heck? Why the hell did that not show up in search for me? Are you Canadian and have you actually streamed it?

Netflix could always produce it, then sell it to Amazon for streaming in the US and continue to stream internationally. That might be more cooperation than we should hope for tho.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Netflix could always produce it, then sell it to Amazon for streaming in the US and continue to stream internationally. That might be more cooperation than we should hope for tho.

Yeah, but they aren't looking for *producers*, they have that buttoned down in-house. What they need is distribution.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

considering the distribution fuckery i think its a long shot this gets picked up by netflix/amazon

maybe a third party could come in so that those agreements would stay in place but then your options are basically hulu (owned by the same company that axed it on syfy) or some other broadcast network

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've read SpoilerTV and am glad that at least two key things should still make it into this season: HAY YOO GUYS I RED THA BOOKES ARE yu Impresed with my Literacey?
There is a thread for this stuff, you know. It's even on the first page:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851496

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know a single person in Canada who watches the expanse "legally" but all wish they could some how just toss a couple toonies in an envelope and mail it directly to the expanse team each week :(
One day we'll break the network's backs and rebuild the industry into something reasonable.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

See, that's the thing though. It wasn't produced by SyFy, it's produced by Alcon in-house. SyFy just bought the right to show it first in the US on live TV, which doesn't conflict with amazon's streaming service.
No way are Netflix and Amazon going to play nice, but as I said, Itunes also has it, which might mean that Amazon's deal is not exclusive for streaming.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Svaha posted:

This bit has me worried.

It should. The show is hosed for this reason. Neither company will want to touch it when they will be inadvertently helping the competition.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

It should. The show is hosed for this reason. Neither company will want to touch it when they will be inadvertently helping the competition.

Well, it could always just go to Amazon, in which case Amazon is still happy because it continues to screw over the European Netflix watchers (as it has from the start). That's the deal that Netflix has already agreed to, so nothing really changes.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Potentially, Netflix can just pay the huge fuckoff amount by themselves and Amazon would just not have the rights for any new seasons. That's probably the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, the show is caught in distribution hell too long to ever bring it back successfully.

See also- The Invisible Man

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know a single person in Canada who watches the expanse "legally" but all wish they could some how just toss a couple toonies in an envelope and mail it directly to the expanse team each week :(
One day we'll break the network's backs and rebuild the industry into something reasonable.

I do watch it legally, through on-demand rather than Crave. That feed even has commercial breaks for other shows airing on Space, so somebody's getting paid even if they don't record the viewership numbers. But yeah if I could mail a couple toonies a week to the production team that would be vastly preferable

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

Potentially, Netflix can just pay the huge fuckoff amount by themselves and Amazon would just not have the rights for any new seasons. That's probably the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, the show is caught in distribution hell too long to ever bring it back successfully.

See also- The Invisible Man

Without being party to whatever distribution legal fuckery has taken place, it's impossible to know if that's even possible. When it comes gown to brass tacks though, Amazon has the most money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Netflix isn't streaming it at all over in the US, or just delayed by a few months?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

considering the distribution fuckery i think its a long shot this gets picked up by netflix/amazon

maybe a third party could come in so that those agreements would stay in place but then your options are basically hulu (owned by the same company that axed it on syfy) or some other broadcast network

to be fair, syfy axed it not because it wasn't making enough money in general but because they were putting up the lion's share of the money in return for the money you get from airing it on cable and lol that's nothing. if hulu thinks they can make more off it they might pick it up tho

Combat Pretzel posted:

Netflix isn't streaming it at all over in the US, or just delayed by a few months?

US netflix doesn't have it, its available on amazon/itunes to buy as soon as it comes out and goes free on prime a few months before the next season

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

US netflix doesn't have it, its available on amazon/itunes to buy as soon as it comes out and goes free on prime a few months before the next season
Kinda doesn't make sense that iTunes has it, if Amazon has ostensibly exclusive US rights.

Question is more what time limit there is on these contract. If either US and/or international exclusivity runs out at a closer point in time, I could see either party springing for it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What I want to know who these people are watching Krypton, because apparently it supplants The Expanse and those people are wrong and need to be spaced.

Welwalas

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kinda doesn't make sense that iTunes has it, if Amazon has ostensibly exclusive US rights.

Question is more what time limit there is on these contract. If either US and/or international exclusivity runs out at a closer point in time, I could see either party springing for it.

youtube has The Expanse too, but i have no idea how all this rights stuff works. But it seems like amazon doesn't have exclusive rights?

anyways gently caress these loving idiots for cancelling one of the best fuckin shows ever :argh:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WOWWWW I am genuinely shocked Syfy is cancelling this. The gently caress are they even doing otherwise?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gohmak posted:

Why would any production company go to syfy after this?

I've been wondering this about Fox for years but I guess they're just too big or something? I don't know much about the TV business.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

I bought the season on Google Play (in Canada) and that's worked alright for me, but that's a stream, not a download. Episodes become available at some late hour Pacific coast time, so I just watch it the next day (I'm East coast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Svaha posted:

Just to update, Despite the series showing up on the .ca version of Amazon, (but not when you search for it) you can't actually buy it from a Canadian address. I tried. So, yeah It's Itunes or craveTV or nothin'
E:haha spoke too soon again. Thanks NZAmoeba, I'm going to give that a go

Svaha fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 11, 2018