Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good loving lord why is Solo not an ok name? Lando Calrissian is fine, but loving Solo isnt?

Darth Maul comeback is just bizarre. Like Im not even sure why that came up as an initial concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Barudak posted:

Good loving lord why is Solo not an ok name? Lando Calrissian is fine, but loving Solo isnt?

Darth Maul comeback is just bizarre. Like Im not even sure why that came up as an initial concept

This historical documentary should help explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nurabsal posted:

This historical documentary should help explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

I get that, but did they have that many unsold Darth Maul figurines they could repackage? A new character is more bucks!!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Barudak posted:

It's going to be especially weird given that I'm sure most people who see Star Wars movies don't give a gently caress about anything beyond the movies. And, as far as they know, Maul should still be dead.

I thought the Clone Wars did a good job of covering his return. Starting with him near insanity and with giant robot legs, to regaining control with better robot legs, to finding new purpose against the Emperor who he realized didn't give a gently caress about him and near perfect human robot legs, etc. This will skip all of that for most people, and they'll be waiting to find out how Maul is alive, but I can't imagine the movies (some supposed sequel to Solo) will cover that.

I think this is just going to end up being a one and done cameo, leaving most viewers really confused and put off. Such an odd decision.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
I think the plan is to have 3 or more cinematic universes operating at a time within certain parts of the star wars timeline. We will have a Sequel-Prequel trilogy (Young Han Solo/Yung Luke/Leia) The Sequel Sequel trilogy (in 4-6 years or so) and Rian Johnson will do the prequel prequel trilogy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Barudak posted:

I get that, but did they have that many unsold Darth Maul figurines they could repackage? A new character is more bucks!!!

yeah but now it's Darth Maul with robot legs! you can sell the same amount of figures as a new character, while being able to re-use half the materials of the unsold figures. Its brilliant

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

You know what? They should just retcon the OT Star Trek (2009) style and recast everyone. Have Luke from the end of TLJ instant-transmission into Han's bedroom to warn him about how badly his life is going to go. Instead, Alderaan gets blown up 6 years early and we get treated to a younger, hotter cast. :shepspends:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hope darth maul survives and is still around way after the sequel movies

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

With a big horn beard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

Basically. He's running from Imperials. The only way out is to head into an Imperial Recruitment Center, so he figures he'll sign up to get away. Recruiter asks him what his name is. He says just "Han". Imperial guy says something like, "What is your last name? Who are you with?" Han says something like (sorry, this guy sucks at describing things) "I'm alone." So his name is put in as "Han Solo".

i dunno i kinda like that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cuntman.net posted:

He's like a cockroach

He could be dead and buried, and the planet he was buried on atomized, and eventually he'd just reform out of sheer spite

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

precision posted:

i dunno i kinda like that

Kind of an Ellis island vibe but also really stupid

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

reminds me of Homer Simpson, Smiling Politely

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Kind of an Ellis island vibe but also really stupid

Yeah, it's kind of like the Ellis Island scene in Godfather II, except everyone who is by themselves now has the same last name.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

So, had he never been asked for identification before on Corellia or something? Has he never had an opportunity to think about having 2 names in a galaxy where even guys named "Boba Fett", "Salacious Crumb", and "Elan Sleazebaggano" have last names?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like the Ellis Island scene in Godfather II, except everyone who is by themselves now has the same last name.

i dunno, i kind of like the idea that "Solo" is sort of the SW universe's equivalent to, like, "Esposito" in Spanish, a last name you're essentially given if you don't have one

like, it sort of sounds stupid but it's not an idea without real-life precedent

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Han, comma, solo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

darth maul coming back sounds like it'll be the only good thing about this movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m excited for Solo because it features one of my favorite Star Wars characters: The Millenium Falcon.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

He's like a cockroach

He could be dead and buried, and the planet he was buried on atomized, and eventually he'd just reform out of sheer spite

i think someone did this in the old expanded universe

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

When he's with cheewie shouldn't he be Han Duo?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can't believe the Empire is discriminatory against cultures that don't use last names

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy lmao Darth Maul is in this movie

I kind of have to see it now. That sounds so drat silly. I’ll go during a big crowd if possible haha

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Keep in mind, the spoilers say he’s in it for like a minute. A big reveal as a hologram. So don’t go expecting him to be the big villain of the whole movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Keep in mind, the spoilers say he’s in it for like a minute. A big reveal as a hologram. So don’t go expecting him to be the big villain of the whole movie.

oh so it's just the equivalent of marvel post-credits scene promising something interesting 3 years from now

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

oh so it's just the equivalent of marvel post-credits scene promising something interesting 3 years from now

Yeah, just not post credits.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
we already know what's next for Darth Maul though

Like, what's wrong with including small tie ins to established stuff? Maul's story has come and gone. This probably isn't even meant to hint at a bigger thing, it's just acknowledging stuff outside the films a little.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

we already know what's next for Darth Maul though

Like, what's wrong with including small tie ins to established stuff? Maul's story has come and gone. This probably isn't even meant to hint at a bigger thing, it's just acknowledging stuff outside the films a little.

ehh, establishing that he's still alive for the normies who don't pay attention to the comics or cartoons wouldn't be done for no reason, they've clearly got plans to do something with him movie-wise

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I mean they've been pretty successful and well acclaimed cartoons. Won all kinds of awards. Made their share of money. We're not talking about an obscure EU novel here. It's not unlikely that a number of the kids who watched Rebels would also want to see Solo. And the Disney era has been full of nods like this, there's been a number of references to the cartoons in TFA alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nodosaur posted:

I mean they've been pretty successful and well acclaimed cartoons. Won all kinds of awards. Made their share of money. We're not talking about an obscure EU novel here. It's not unlikely that a number of the kids who watched Rebels would also want to see Solo. And the Disney era has been full of nods like this, there's been a number of references to the cartoons in TFA alone.

For regular people, these shows do not exist.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CelticPredator posted:

For regular people, these shows do not exist.

Yeah - My bet is they're establishing Darth Maul is alive so he can be a villain for the Obi-Wan movie which will either be lone wolf and cub or seven samurai on tatooine.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ehh I’ll geek out over a maul and obiwan ultimate rematch.

Stupid marvelesque continuity hooks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't know what the odds are of them recreating the Rebels Episode Twin Suns from Obi-Wan's perspective would be

He seems to be making a habit of rescuing kids and their droids in the desert

If I want anything Maul-related, I'd rather it be a video game where you take missions from Palpatine before TPM

God dammit, it'd be a Force Unleashed remake, but this time you're Palpatine's apprentice, wouldn't it?

"Hey Witwer, you wanna voice the protagonist of a Star Wars video game again?"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't know what the odds are of them recreating the Rebels Episode Twin Suns from Obi-Wan's perspective would be

He seems to be making a habit of rescuing kids and their droids in the desert

Stephen Daldry's rumored to be directing, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a child/teen character in the movie for him to pal around with.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
force awakens made 900 million dollars, last jedi made 600 million, rogue one made 500 million, it feels so hard to tell if the air is coming out of the star wars brand and this is a clear downward trend (that will probably continue with this movie) or if each thing is an individual case and none of it means anything particular, and it feels like this movie isn't a test case either.

Marvel is as close to a perfect upward arrow as you could imagine for it's A and B string movies, even DC movies roughly trend positive with every movie being more likely to make more money than less money than the ones before it. Star wars movies seem to actually be petering out. If this really does make less money and 2 A string and 2 B string movies is really enough to draw trend lines.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Rogue One came out before Last Jedi.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm glad I dipped in here to see the dumb Darth Maul poo poo so now I can at least prepare myself. Had I gone in blind I probably would have done the Jerry Seinfeld I'm done dot gif thing. I even enjoyed Maul on Clone Wars and Rebels, but them putting the same characters in all these different places around the same time is just going to end up a mess. I don't envy the poor schlub that has to keep track of all this and struggle to keep it straight. This is already turning into the mess the old eu had with the 12 different people that all stole the deathstar plans.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

force awakens made 900 million dollars, last jedi made 600 million, rogue one made 500 million, it feels so hard to tell if the air is coming out of the star wars brand and this is a clear downward trend (that will probably continue with this movie) or if each thing is an individual case and none of it means anything particular, and it feels like this movie isn't a test case either.

Marvel is as close to a perfect upward arrow as you could imagine for it's A and B string movies, even DC movies roughly trend positive with every movie being more likely to make more money than less money than the ones before it. Star wars movies seem to actually be petering out. If this really does make less money and 2 A string and 2 B string movies is really enough to draw trend lines.

it's possible that TFA was the outlier because it got to ride the hype of 'first star wars in over a decade' and future films will stick around what TLJ and rogue one did now that it's a known quantity that we'll keep getting at bare minimum a new star wars every year

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You ordered those movies wrong (Rogue One came out before TLJ) in order to make it seem like the series is on a downward trend, and I’m guessing only counted domestic to make your point, because TLJ made $1.3 billion. The series is not only doing fine, it’s one of the most profitable series in existence right now.

Also, each Marvel movie does not make more than the last. That’s not even true if you only count Avengers movies. Avengers 2 made slightly less than Avengers.

You’re straight up not arguing in good faith when you lie about and distort facts like that.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I legitimately can't tell if this is one long piss take in regards to Darth Maul, are you all just loving with me or what?

I was sort of excited(but not really) to finally get a Star Wars movie with no force users or lightsabers.