Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chard posted:

Has there ever been a TV series based on a non-complete book series that didn't eventually spiral into its own rear end? I can't think of one, hoped this might be an exception.

More than that, this might be a non-complete book series that actually gets completed in the next couple years, before the show can catch up. He's been pumping out a book per year steady since 2011, according to Amazon. And as much as I like the books, they're a little bit light and schlocky, and probably a lot easier to write than some of the other epics. It doesn't seem it's gonna give him fits to resolve all the different plotlines like in ASoIaF.

For TV show chat, does anyone else have kind of a disconnect when the crew of the Roci discusses plans like going to Io? I remember rolling my eyes at it back when I was reading it, and it kinda stuck out in the episode the other night.

"How many people are on Io?"
"People? Not sure. Crazy protomolecule monsters? We don't know that either."
"So let's take our small ship with a half-dozen people there and assault the place. Oh, and Alex and Naomi usually stay on the ship to fly it and do electronics support."

It's the sort of thing that only makes sense when you have a clear understanding that these are the protagonists and they're going to be able to do protagonisty things without the usual risk of death or impossible odds. No sane, rational mind is going to look at the crew of the Roci and assume it's not suicide to have Amos, Holden, and Prax attack an unknown facility with any amount of armed guards (and monsters!) inside. It's not even like they're a trained covert ops team or something, Amos is probably really good in a fight but I don't think he's ever had any actual military training, and Holden and Alex were just Navy technicians for the most part, I don't think they've had any real combat training. And Prax should be more of a liability than anything. Bobbie actually fits the bill for a ground assault, but they really just lucked into having her with them, the original plan was for the original Roci crew to go in all by themselves.

I'm not sure why it stands out so much to me when stuff like this is pretty par for the course in a lot of fiction, maybe it's just because these guys are so spectacularly unqualified to go up against trained and coordinated opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone remind me what happens with all those rocket hybrids? I must have skimmed over these parts years ago.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone remind me what happens with all those rocket hybrids? I must have skimmed over these parts years ago.

I honestly can't remember it either. The sequence of events is different in the show, I'm fairly sure the assault on the research station didn't happen in the books; it was just the stuff on Io. so i'm not sure if it even happened in the books.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
iirc Holden goes to the Agatha King, turns on the transponders and the missiles get shot down by ships or planetary defenses. Fred Johnson blows up missiles headed for Tycho with one of Earth's nukes to remind everyone he's got a big dick.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah and avasarala does some straight up gangsta poo poo loving with the bad dude admiral

shes such a great character

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

bloom posted:

iirc Holden goes to the Agatha King, turns on the transponders and the missiles get shot down by ships or planetary defenses. Fred Johnson blows up missiles headed for Tycho with one of Earth's nukes to remind everyone he's got a big dick.

They were all heading for Mars, and the UN and Mars were planning on shooting them down when they got to the innersys, Fred Johnson nukes every single protomissile when they get near the Belt to remind the Inners where Earth's entire planetary arsenal of nukes went.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm laughing and also crying at the people in the non-spoiler thread who think this season isn't going to end on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
We'll never see cgi deathslugs now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chard posted:

Has there ever been a TV series based on a non-complete book series that didn't eventually spiral into its own rear end? I can't think of one, hoped this might be an exception.

You're in luck about it not spiraling because it's not even going to be airborne much longer

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm laughing and also crying at the people in the non-spoiler thread who think this season isn't going to end on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

What's bad for the show is good for the spoilers thread ironically enough

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Well like we have the books so it's not as bad

And this book series is actually finishing next year

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Millercrab that could have been.... :sigh:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I am not going to hear any talk about cancellation. It will absolutely be picked up by Netflix or Amazon. It will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phenotype posted:

I am not going to hear any talk about cancellation. It will absolutely be picked up by Netflix or Amazon. It will.

My man do you know what year it is

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Do we know yet roughly where season 3 will end? If it's right at the introduction of the ring gate system, I could see it being a nice place to wrap things up--keep the story within the solar system and end on the reveal that there are over a thousand others out there in... :frogc00l: The Expanse :frogc00l:

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Probably get through the slow zone disaster and open the gates up.
I'm basing that on this tweet

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/995068740453584896

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I speculated earlier based on episode titles that we might get though all of an abbreviated Abbadon's Gate... If they're promising resolution this season I can't see how they'd do it without sorting the ring gate crisis.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It figures that when the show actually catches my interest that it gets cancelled. I'm in Team Netflix/Amazon.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
In light of the cancellation news can someone give me the lowdown on Amos's ultimate arc? where's that dude going?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He has a non sexual companionship with Julie Mao's sister and is with her during her terminal disease. They bond because they are both outsiders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

I speculated earlier based on episode titles that we might get though all of an abbreviated Abbadon's Gate... If they're promising resolution this season I can't see how they'd do it without sorting the ring gate crisis.

I have a really bad feeling that this is going to feel extremely rushed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't know, Abbadon's Gate's whole mutiny/counter-mutiny/counter-counter-mutiny thing seems ripe for streamlining.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Phenotype posted:

More than that, this might be a non-complete book series that actually gets completed in the next couple years, before the show can catch up. He's been pumping out a book per year steady since 2011, according to Amazon. And as much as I like the books, they're a little bit light and schlocky, and probably a lot easier to write than some of the other epics. It doesn't seem it's gonna give him fits to resolve all the different plotlines like in ASoIaF.

It's not just one author, it's two guys writing under the same name

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There's also a novella all about Amos, The Churn, that's probably worth your while.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There's also a novella all about Amos, The Churn, that's probably worth your while.

it's his origin story, so if you want to know why he's all hosed up you should read it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

In light of the cancellation news can someone give me the lowdown on Amos's ultimate arc? where's that dude going?

The best part of the books is when Amos and Julie's Sister (called "Peaches") are making their way through a devastated, post-apocalyptic Earth and kill a survivalist for his gear and weapons. As they walk away, Peaches asks him about the morality of what they've done. Amos doesn't understand: they needed the stuff to live and if they didn't take it someone else would. Peaches says "but, if we hadn't gone there, he would still be alive right now."

Amos pauses, contemplates a moment, and finally realizes: "poo poo...I need to get back to the ship."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/995394893341052929

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Will we actually get to see the dandelion sky or just the one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platystemon posted:

Will we actually get to see the dandelion sky or just the one?

Well, there is an episode called Dandelion Sky so I would hope so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I knew the episode titles were out there but had been avoiding them.

It’s time to read them now.

Here is the list:

quote:

Immolation

Delta‐V

It Reaches Out

Aberrations

Dandelion Sky

Objects in Motion

Congregation

Abaddon’s Gate

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man...this season is going to get so good and it is already cancelled... :smith:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, I pulled my weight and emailed both the CEO of Amazon and Amazon itself. I didn't think I'd ever be pulling for this show to stay on the air, but this season has been good.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Well, I pulled my weight and emailed both the CEO of Amazon and Amazon itself. I didn't think I'd ever be pulling for this show to stay on the air, but this season has been good.

For those who want to do the same:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

tl;dr -
1) go here and fill out form (checkbox For Your Consideration) https://studios.amazon.com/contact-us
2) email Jeff@amazon.com and tell him he should buy the show because ~space~
3) if you tweetbook, bother these accounts with #RenewTheExpanse, #SaveTheExpanse
4) have disposable income and don't live in Canada? pre-purchase season 3 on amazon prime: https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Season-3/dp/B07BNVJK3R
Every little bit helps
Where's waldo the spoiler:

Obvious Cut and paste job, but lol that this was posted on social media.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a really bad feeling that this is going to feel extremely rushed.

The book is longer than it needs to be, imo. The show's been really good at streamlining stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Svaha posted:

For those who want to do the same:

Every little bit helps
Where's waldo the spoiler:

Obvious Cut and paste job, but lol that this was posted on social media.

It might just be the artifacting but a lot of people in that seem like copy/pastes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Milky Moor posted:

It might just be the artifacting but a lot of people in that seem like copy/pastes.

One of the production guys said that it was really only meant for the team, and as such they were more concerned with fitting in everybody who wasn't there in person, rather than trying to pass it off as an authentic photo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

e: disregard, it turns out i can butt post, not just butt dial

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

BORN TO DIE
SYSTEM IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2359
I am rock man
410,757,864,530 DEAD EARTHERS

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 16, 2018

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

ATP_Power posted:

BORN TO DIE
SYTEM IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2359
I am rock man
410,757,864,530 DEAD EARTHERS

Oh great Qanon's still around in the future?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
So i know from wiki browsing how the devastation of Earth pans out, but there's background detail the wikis are scarace on. Question: why are the inner system navies so weak by the time of Babylon's Ashes that the Free Navy even poses a threat? A glance at the list of ships they had never implies much bigger or meaner than something like the Tachi, which is a fine vessel but the sort of thing the Donnager could hold two of, you know? I get that the 'dream of Mars' collapsed when the ring gates opened, and there was a mass exodus, but why was Earth in particular so significantly weakened even before the rocks fell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Partially Earth just being a paper tiger with mostly old garbage ships that are worthless, partially being reduced from the war with Mars beforehand, but mainly it's not that the UNN itself is lovely. The problem is that they refuse to leave Earth orbit because they need 95% of their ships at home to make absolutely positively drat sure that nobody ever drops a rock on the place again. So they still have lots of ships, but the politicians would never sign off on them going on the offensive.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 17, 2018

• Locked thread