Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't know Woo was getting back into Hollywood movies. When was his last one? Or maybe he's been back for a while now and I just didn't realise.

I think he wrapped up his American career with Paycheck (that Ben Affleck / Aaron Eckhart abomination) like fifteen years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manhunt (which is up on Netflix now) already felt like John Woo doing John Woo's greatest hits, I'm not sure a remake is really what I want from him right now. I'll probably still go see it opening night though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That's crazy. To give you an idea of how long that's been in gestation, my special edition VHS of the Killer (which was a thing that absolutely did exist) mentioned that the remake had initially been planned with Richard Gere and Denzel Washington.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I think he wrapped up his American career with Paycheck (that Ben Affleck / Aaron Eckhart abomination) like fifteen years ago.

Paycheck is pretty fun and the supporting cast is surprisingly stacked. I cant remember if the fights were very good, but there weeent many either, it was more of a thriller.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've been taking a look at Box Office Mojo at top global movies and there are a couple of asian cinema action flicks that are seriously high up, like 550million plus despite grossing nothing in the USA. That's kind of cool and makes me think I should check them out. Wolf Warrior was one of them (with Frank Grillo) but there are others.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FancyMike posted:

Manhunt (which is up on Netflix now) already felt like John Woo doing John Woo's greatest hits, I'm not sure a remake is really what I want from him right now. I'll probably still go see it opening night though.

You definitely seem more well-versed in Woo’s ins and outs than I am, but for me, casting Lupita friggin’ Nyong’o in the lead pretty much overrides any short-term fears that Woo will be on autopilot.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine really wants to see The Killer but is having a hard time finding it online. If I was going to gift her, what version would you recommend?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I haven’t seen the us bluray so I don’t know how bad the sped up sound is I’d say just get whatever dvd is cheapest knowing there’s no great option. The home video situation with his Hong Kong movies is really sad.

I’m just generally wary when it comes to remakes hopefully he does something interesting with it. Lupita Nyong’o is definitely a very exciting actress for the role. And I still need to see The Crossing but Red Cliff was awesome and Manhunt solid so Woo has been good lately imo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This is the best DVD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Killer-DVD-Yun-Fat-Chow/dp/B00006JY1J

Good PQ, widescreen, proper subtitles, 5.1 original Cantonese track, commentary

Note though it's a bit expensive and is region 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Paycheck is pretty fun and the supporting cast is surprisingly stacked. I cant remember if the fights were very good, but there weeent many either, it was more of a thriller.

It has that one Mexican stand-off that John Woo puts in all his movies that I always think is great, so that's good enough for me. I also remember liking the motorcycle chase scene.

It's sort of like Face/Off in the sense that it's this high-concept, 20 minutes in the future science-fiction action thriller, but it's a lot less entertaining than Face/Off.

What happened to action movies in the mid-2000s anyway?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It has that one Mexican stand-off that John Woo puts in all his movies that I always think is great, so that's good enough for me. I also remember liking the motorcycle chase scene.

It's sort of like Face/Off in the sense that it's this high-concept, 20 minutes in the future science-fiction action thriller, but it's a lot less entertaining than Face/Off.

They started imitating the Matrix. Badly. We got a couple of good ones out of the period though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I really liked Manhunt even if it was basically Woo doing his greatest hits. I'm just glad he's doing his thing again so I am excited for this remake.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think part of it is the end of the specialized action movie star. Not that it happened all at once.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I talked about it earlier, but I really think it was the success of Saving Private Ryan and The Matrix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the Bourne films were also a watershed moment in that regard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
All this talk of John Woo remaking The Killer with Lupita Nyong'o is a great time to bring up the Godfrey Ho film Lethal Panther.

What does Godfrey Ho have to do with The Killer? Well, while the man is most known for directing ~80 movies between 1980 and 1990, ~42 of which have "ninja" in the title, he ALSO directed plenty of crappy war movies and thriller type movies. One of these non-ninja flicks, however, is the 1990 movie Lethal Panther.

Lethal Panther is a shameless ripoff of The Killer (and the title of course comes from Lethal Weapon), the assassin's handler is a former assassin with a bad hand, etc. But instead of Chow Yun Fat and other dudes, the prominent roles are played by women (including Sibelle Hu!!!). It's also a movie that features, I do not exaggerate when I say this, it features a squib filled action scene or a gratuitous goofy sex scene literally every eight minutes. Like the movie just DOES NOT STOP EVER it's awesome fun despite being super cheap and uninspired overall because of the pace and it having some good shootouts and action. You can watch the whole thing on YouTube and it works equally well both as a background noise movie and as a fun movie to watch with friends.*

It also has one of the greatest "well we wanted to depict ejaculation but we couldn't so...." scenes ever in which a woman is tantalized by a guy holding a condom filled with milk!

Anyway the movie owns.

Plus the movie must have had a bit of an impact in Hong Kong, as it spawned two unrelated sequels!

One is called Lethal Weapon 2: Hard to Die but is probably mostly released as The Dragon Fighter in English (no relation to the Michael Pare movie) and shares a couple of cast members from Lethal Panther. The other came out a couple of years later and is just called Lethal Panther 2. I never saw the first one, but unfortunately the second is godawful and super boring despite starting Yukari Ôshima. :(

Anyway, poo poo yes, Lethal Panther movies.

*There is a scene where a character is sexually assaulted towards the end, it's brief but maybe worth noting if you have groups of friends over to show awesome action movies.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 1, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh I recognize that. They showed clips of those movies as part of the pre-show for the public Hard Boiled screening last summer at the Bell Lightbox. Good times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding adventure movies, how bad is Congo where Laura Linney and Ernie Hudson fight rogue gorillas?

(I doubt it's anywhere near as good as Primal Force, the TV movie where Ron Perlman has a knife fight with a mutated baboon, but that's probably the pinnacle of cinematic achievement so it's probably not a fair comparison.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think you'll find we appreciate Congo here. Especially in relation to Justice League.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tim Curry's in it, so it's worth watching.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I've always liked it. I like Ernie Hudson a lot, so that may help. It's kind of got a special place in my heart because I saw it with my little brother and it was one of the first times that we sort of bonded. The hippo attack is cool, and it's just generally a fun movie. I remember enjoying the music, too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Congo is a great 'bad' movie. It's self-aware, but not in a cynical way - it's happy to be a good old-fashioned goofy adventure romp with modern trappings.

And it's got a great supporting cast: Winston! Mitchell! Ash! Dr Frank-n-furter! Just a shame the male lead was such a wet blanket.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Stop eating. My. Sesame. Cakes.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Did you know that this man is a big. bag of poo poo?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm your Great White Hunter. I just happen to be black.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Congo totally fuckin rules.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
???
!!!!

https://twitter.com/TheScottAdkins/status/992971722461732864

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamnit Scott Adkins != Scott Adsit Both great action stars of course:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownMercenary posted:

I really liked Manhunt even if it was basically Woo doing his greatest hits. I'm just glad he's doing his thing again so I am excited for this remake.
Just watched it myself, while all the non-shooty parts felt cheesier than normal and some of the acting was a bit sketchy, in particular with english dialogue (and supposedly Japanese too though I can't judge), the action mostly delivered and so it was pretty fun overall. I think only in the farmhouse shootout some of the editing felt a bit weird and we need more slow-motion rather than the choppy effect they used from time to time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Didn't even recognize Adkins until I read the caption. Maybe I'm too used to Boyka.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched it myself, while all the non-shooty parts felt cheesier than normal and some of the acting was a bit sketchy, in particular with english dialogue (and supposedly Japanese too though I can't judge), the action mostly delivered and so it was pretty fun overall. I think only in the farmhouse shootout some of the editing felt a bit weird and we need more slow-motion rather than the choppy effect they used from time to time.

I'm gonna be the contrarian and say that Manhunt pretty awful. I mean, it may have horrid acting, terrible dialogue, non-sensical editing, and a ridiculously stupid story, but on the other hand the action scenes are boring and it looks really, really cheap. And, oh god, all that broken English...

A couple of the action scenes might have been ok if the characters hadn't already pissed me off with their stupidity. I basically hated it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's not being contrarian, that's being a typical youtuber.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Nice, can't wait to see Kurt Warner in Ip Man 4.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's not being contrarian, that's being a typical youtuber.

Some youtubers praise movies, you know.

e: Erm, I think I might have used a wrong word. I shouldn't have said "contrarian" but "dissenting voice". I'm just really surprised that anyone liked Manhunt.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i wish Outlaw Vern would become a youtuber but at the same time i feel like actually seeing and hearing him would be weird

e: also, I'm assuming I should show my girlfriend The Killer and A Better Tomorrow before we put on Manhunt. I was thinking I'd finally introduce her to Woo with it, since I've been talking his movies up to her for ages, but it sounds... kinda poo poo and I'd hate for that to be the first impression she gets. :smith:

e2: except I just remembered I showed her Hard Target because she absolutely needed to see Wilford Brimley riding a horse away from an explosion while hooting in Cajun.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The Killer or Hard Boiled.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

For accessibility and pure Woo Zone (thanks OutlawVern), The Killer is a great choice.

Hard Boiled was incredible for the time but it's been so aped, chopped, and screwed into modern action cinema that a lot of the impact is lessened. It's a great second choice if she enjoys The Killer and wants more of that, amped up. Face/Off is also good and very accessible. And I'll go to bat for Red Cliffs (the real version) forever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i wish Outlaw Vern would become a youtuber but at the same time i feel like actually seeing and hearing him would be weird

Have you heard his podcast guest spot? https://soundcloud.com/user-564624820/psp-ep4-death-wish

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Killer is sooooo loving good. It always impresses people I show it to with how influential it was because watching it cold everyone I show it to assumes it was made in the early 90s.

Hard Boiled might be an even better intro movie though. It's so perfect and the way it just keeps escalating as it goes on and it really is mindblowing that the movie is as long as it is with so much of it just being in the hospital without it ever getting boring.

The brief "Tony Leung goes to the library" music video with the freeze frame and fade out after the opening scene is so good. I love everything about that movie.

But the Killer is so awesome too. Like just do a double feature and call it a day.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Look at this nice shot

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/993923942703185920

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing that keeps The Killer from being as rewatchable as Hard Boiled to me is just the massive downer of an ending. ;_;

got any sevens posted:

This is the only thing I remember about Paycheck:

what the gently caress

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I don't get it. What are you saying about it?