Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's not clear what exactly she did or why the dude shoots the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think what they were going for is that she had such force and momentum that that forced his aim to the ground more than anything, but it's so slowly executed and horribly conveyed and seems like one of those things where maybe they didn't quite think it out and after like three takes realized it was always going to look dumb as hell and just rolled with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, it's totally clear that she knocks his gun down, and he squeezes the trigger but fires harmlessly into the floor.

What's not clear is why shooting the floor with a shotgun creates a shower of sparks that blasts you straight up into the air.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Huh. The way I saw it was that she knocked his gun barrel, pointing it to the floor as he was getting ready to fire at Affleck. He pulled the trigger and Woo'd himself into the air.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

What's not clear is why shooting the floor with a shotgun creates a shower of sparks that blasts you straight up into the air.

Radness

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Narzack posted:

Huh. The way I saw it was that she knocked his gun barrel, pointing it to the floor as he was getting ready to fire at Affleck. He pulled the trigger and Woo'd himself into the air.

See that's what I thought, I thought maybe she took a piece of his shotgun and it misfired? But the dude is so slow it's like, "hey you took a piece of my shotgun!" *fires into the floor anyway and goes flying*

I want to call attention to Affleck's Man of Action face, which is passable.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I think she's hitting it downward with some kind of pipe. Maybe a flashlight of some kind? I haven't seen the movie since it came out, though. As for Affleck, he's come a long way. I used to hate the poncy faced dweeb, and even when this came out, I wasn't a fan. But he's really matured into a real actor. And, even if I thought it was a terrible movie, I think he actually did a pretty good job as a Dark Knight Returns-esque, old, muscular, angry Batman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's that other Affleck action movie from that era where his co-star is Charlize Theron?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's that other Affleck action movie from that era where his co-star is Charlize Theron?

Reindeer Games?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Reindeer Games?

Right - that's the one I'm thinking about. I was confused because it has a different title ("Deception", according to Wikipedia).

Apparently it's not very good. It's a John Frankenheimer movie so I'd like to think it has some redeeming qualities, though. (I even liked The French Connection II.) :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is the only thing I remember about Paycheck:

what the gently caress

This is so stupid it loops back around to it owns

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Second.

Also, I still can't quite get my head around Re:Born. I mean, it's basically an MGS fan film for most of its length, but with a 50 minute, top notch fight scene as its second half. There's very few films where most of it is terrible, but one aspect is absolutely loving top notch, which Re:Born's fight scenes are. It's rare to see knife fights choreographed by someone who knows how little force a knife needs to be lethal.

Also, I want those pants he has. They look super comfortable.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Taintrunner posted:

It's reminding me of that Bruce Willis western gangster Yojimbo remake where people would fly into space from his gunshots

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right - that's the one I'm thinking about. I was confused because it has a different title ("Deception", according to Wikipedia).

Apparently it's not very good. It's a John Frankenheimer movie so I'd like to think it has some redeeming qualities, though. (I even liked The French Connection II.) :(

I was just remembering Reindeer Games yesterday, it's rad

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

brocked posted:

It's reminding me of that Bruce Willis western gangster Yojimbo remake where people would fly into space from his gunshots

Last Man Standing, a movie I unironically love. It's a Prohibition-era gangster movie in a Western town setting, with Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken, and it's a Red Harvest/Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars remake. What's not to love?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Last Man Standing, a movie I unironically love. It's a Prohibition-era gangster movie in a Western town setting, with Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken, and it's a Red Harvest/Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars remake. What's not to love?

Directed by Walter Hill, no less. Last Man Standing is baller.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

With Salma Hayek as well, iirc

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

brocked posted:

With Salma Hayek as well, iirc

I don't think so, but I remembered Leslie Mann as a prostitute and William Sanderson as the bartender.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116830/?ref_=nv_sr_5

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wow, my brain had subbed her in for the Mexican girl (Felina) who kinda is at the middle of that whole show... Definitely need to rewatch, it's a great show

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Second.

Also, I still can't quite get my head around Re:Born. I mean, it's basically an MGS fan film for most of its length, but with a 50 minute, top notch fight scene as its second half. There's very few films where most of it is terrible, but one aspect is absolutely loving top notch, which Re:Born's fight scenes are. It's rare to see knife fights choreographed by someone who knows how little force a knife needs to be lethal.

Also, I want those pants he has. They look super comfortable.

I mean Snake Eater had the most badass of knife fights so... I need to watch this.

It's especially badass when you're getting The Boss rank. Yeah I'm bragging.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 12, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I mean Snake Eater had the most badass of knife fights so... I need to watch this.

It's especially badass when you're getting The Boss rank. Yeah I'm bragging.

drink heavily before hand and it will make more sense. And take note of the pants. I need those pants and I don't know what to look for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

Directed by Walter Hill, no less. Last Man Standing is baller.

Has one of those great "pulp cinema" dvd covers too:

Edit: There's a few 90s Bruce Willis action movies I've not seen, actually, which is odd because I like 90s Bruce Willis before he went completely bald and just scowled grumpily at everyone like he was Charles Bronson. What can anyone tell me about Striking Distance, Mercury Rising and Hudson Hawk?

(I automatically assume that The Jackal isn't really going to be worth it if I already like The Day of the Jackal.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 12, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Jackal is a decidedly non-thrilling thriller. It does feature Jack Black getting shot with that preposterously huge gun.

This is really all you need from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKN_YF8tjA

Unless you really want to laugh at Richard Gere's horrible accent that is.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 12, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hudson Hawk has a very bad reputation that it doesn't really deserve. It's not good, but it's certainly watchable and fun in a :wtc: way. It's basically a Bruce Willis vanity project based on an idea he'd had for years (a master cat-burglar who times all his heists to songs), that had the bad luck to be released at the exact moment people were starting to get sick of him and decided it was time for some tall poppy cutting. (See also: Arnold and Last Action Hero.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Payndz posted:

Hudson Hawk has a very bad reputation that it doesn't really deserve. It's not good, but it's certainly watchable and fun in a :wtc: way. It's basically a Bruce Willis vanity project based on an idea he'd had for years (a master cat-burglar who times all his heists to songs), that had the bad luck to be released at the exact moment people were starting to get sick of him and decided it was time for some tall poppy cutting. (See also: Arnold and Last Action Hero.)

Yeah, Hudson Hawk is more comedy than action, but it's underrated and fun, with a handful of great lines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey y'all, the new Revenge film is pretty dope! It's more on the... revenge exploitation flick side but there's a decent amount of brutal action going on considering that only three people get killed, and it's all very satisfying.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People mentioning Snake Eater in an action movie thread and no one bringing up the Lorenzo Lamas DTV series about a cop/special forces guy adept in guerilla warfare who sees the city as "just another jungle?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3G3ZVg99NU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has one of those great "pulp cinema" dvd covers too:

Edit: There's a few 90s Bruce Willis action movies I've not seen, actually, which is odd because I like 90s Bruce Willis before he went completely bald and just scowled grumpily at everyone like he was Charles Bronson. What can anyone tell me about Striking Distance, Mercury Rising and Hudson Hawk?

(I automatically assume that The Jackal isn't really going to be worth it if I already like The Day of the Jackal.)

I really liked Last Man Standing. A lot of cool action in it, bullets flying, dudes flying, noir-y voice overs. And I think the crunchy guitar score is pretty cool, too.

The Jackal, I didn't like. Unless you want to see dumb Richard Gere get the best of cool Bruce Willis. But, like someone said, it does have the aforementioned Jack Black arm destruction. I thought Striking Distance was pretty terrible, even though it was shot in Pittsburgh. Mercury Rising is when he started going for the bald look, as I recall. Kinda miss the dude with hair.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

People mentioning Snake Eater in an action movie thread and no one bringing up the Lorenzo Lamas DTV series about a cop/special forces guy adept in guerilla warfare who sees the city as "just another jungle?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3G3ZVg99NU

I remember seeing one of the sequels on TV, and the thing that stuck out the most is in a scene with an ambulance, the ambulance was literally a white van with "AMBULANCE" stenciled on the side

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: There's a few 90s Bruce Willis action movies I've not seen, actually, which is odd because I like 90s Bruce Willis before he wesnt completely bald and just scowled grumpily at everyone like he was Charles Bronson. What can anyone tell me about Striking Distance, Mercury Rising and Hudson Hawk?

(I automatically assume that The Jackal[/i
] isn't really going to be worth it if I already like [i]The Day of the Jackal
.)

The Jackal was alright, not exactly action packed. I love the Russian girl and probably my favorite part is how he teaches people not to mess with his minivan. Also has a cameo by Mathilda Mae, who you may recall as the main attraction in space vampire movie Lifeforce.

I personally really like Mercury Rising- also more of a thriller than an action movie, with a shady Alec Baldwin and a 90s magic autistic kid.
I'm always gonna recommend 16 Blocks, which is pretty similar but has great performances by Willis, Mos Def, and David Morse (but he's always great).

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I actually enjoyed 16 Blocks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess someone finally made a danish action movie that wasn't action-comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0C2i_Jmh90

I'll have to find it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I watched Darkland last week. It's slow going but in the end it owned. I liked that the lead didn't have typical action star looks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
16 Blocks feels more like a low-key Die Hard sequel than Die Hard 4 did (and I never saw 5). Imagine if McClane's terrorist-beating glory days were far behind him, he had alienated all the cops he regularly worked with, he was burned out and hung over, and he still had to protect a witness from being assassinated by dirty cops on the way to testify at the courthouse. He's outmanned, outgunned, and out of his depth, but he still does his job.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 12, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've always thought 16 Blocks and 12 Rounds were unofficial Die Hard sequels (Rennie Harlin confirmed the latter).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

I personally really like Mercury Rising- also more of a thriller than an action movie, with a shady Alec Baldwin and a 90s magic autistic kid.
I'm always gonna recommend 16 Blocks, which is pretty similar but has great performances by Willis, Mos Def, and David Morse (but he's always great).

Hostage and 16 Blocks are better Sin City movies than the actual second Sin City movie.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hostage was cool. Was directed by the same dude that made this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280990/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_8

Dope Precinct 13 riff.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I wanna reiterate how much I loved Willis's performance in 16 Blocks. He makes an awesome turn away from a guy sleepwalking through his day, running out the string on his job to retirement- he really sells the "I'm getting too old for this" bit

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

Dope Precinct 13 riff.

You reminded me how much I loved the Assault on Precinct 13 remake with Ethan Hawke as the cop and Laurence Fishburne as the gangster who helps everyone survive the night.

For those of you who haven't seen it in this thread, the Cinemax series Banshee is absolutely incredible. Four short seasons, and each episode does "action movie" better than 90% of action movies. So much well-choreographed action, from some of the most brutal fights I've ever seen to car and motorcycle chases, to meticulously-planned heists, to insane shootouts, with plenty of nudity and sex too. The first two seasons stream for free on Amazon Prime, and if you make it through those, you won't hesitate to order a free week-long Cinemax trial subscription to binge-watch the rest. Banshee also did a spot-on Assault on Precinct 13 homage episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Narzack posted:

I’m confused how anyone is not seeing this? Just because it slows a bit when the gun is moving down? Woo loves to throw in 2 seconds of slow mo to clarify what’s going on (guess it didn’t work here)