Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Moving back up to college. Update ETA tomorrow night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Have Blue posted:

Moving back up to college. Update ETA tomorrow night

:wave:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I remember going back to college and being busy busy busy for the first few weeks of the semester, ahhhh good times.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Toughy posted:

I remember going back to college and being busy busy busy for the first few weeks of the semester, ahhhh good times.

Busy busy busy sexy good times? :pervert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Toughy posted:

And then apathy sets in when you realize there's no functional difference between getting 90% and 50% on any given course until third year?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Outrail posted:

And then apathy sets in when you realize there's no functional difference between getting 90% and 50% on any given course until third year?

Don't you need at least a 70% to pass?

Also, I can related. For all of 1st year and most of 2nd year, I was rather focused on getting that 90%.

Then I realized I was actually missing out on much of the college experience, so I traded my quest for 90% for a solid 70% and a life outside of books.

I don't regret it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Outrail posted:

I needed academic scholarships, that was only the first two years, felt like a weight off when I could enjoy the classes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CourValant posted:

Don't you need at least a 70% to pass?

Also, I can related. For all of 1st year and most of 2nd year, I was rather focused on getting that 90%.

Then I realized I was actually missing out on much of the college experience, so I traded my quest for 90% for a solid 70% and a life outside of books.

I don't regret it.

For us we needed a 50% to pass each class. I was a solid ~55% student until third year and pulled it up to ~65% which is what I needed to enter the honors program where I got 1st class honors.

There's a difference between 'good' work, and work that's 'good enough'. If you're doing anything more than 'good enough' you're wasting your time.

It might be that you want to impress a professor to get into their grad program or whatever, and then you need a higher grade but again, working any harder than is needed to achieve that goal is just wasted effort.

That said, I waste way too much time getting things perfect when they don't need to be, so eh.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I'm gonna have to put an official halt to this for now, can't even keep my own word re: updates and communication. I might run another much shorter game or get back to this one but I don't know for sure. Thanks for following along and sorry for me being a flaky idiot!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thanks for running it. It was pretty cool.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Have Blue posted:

I'm gonna have to put an official halt to this for now, can't even keep my own word re: updates and communication. I might run another much shorter game or get back to this one but I don't know for sure. Thanks for following along and sorry for me being a flaky idiot!

Can you reveal what the hell Windows 2077 was about?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Have Blue posted:

Thanks for putting a full stop on it. It was pretty cool.

Can you give us the back plot? Also what was under our helmet? Any meatbrain at all?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Nooo if he spills the details then he won't be able to come back to it :(

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Thank you!! You did a great job and I'll be sure to follow your next endeavor into CYOA

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I enjoyed this, I hope real life will allow you the time to even consider either coming back to this or running a different cyoa in the future.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Ralith posted:

Nooo if he spills the details then he won't be able to come back to it :(

It'd be this. At the very least this character (who still doesn't have a name btw :v) would be off the table. I'm still tinkering with the fluff and crunch on my homebrew so I'd like to use it again if I can.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Headcanon: Squirrel controlling a robot suit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No, we're a grandpa who downloaded a virus and now we think we're a mercenary.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Headcanon: Squirrel controlling a robot suit.

The squirrel is also a robot

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
:wave: Take care, maybe you can pick this up again sometime

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

super sweet best pal posted:

No, we're a grandpa who downloaded a virus and now we think we're a mercenary.

A CYOA starring a nerd who tries to download a secret black facility program to give him spec ops skills but instead accidentally installs an uploaded specs ops personality in his brain would be great. But run the game on two different forums, letting two bags of squirrels try and figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

A CYOA starring a nerd who tries to download a secret black facility program to give him spec ops skills but instead accidentally installs an uploaded specs ops personality in his brain would be great. But run the game on two different forums, letting two bags of squirrels try and figure out what the gently caress is going on.

:bisonyes:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Outrail posted:

I'd be down for :justpost:'ing votes in the threads to keep them bumped if this actually happened somewhere.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Aw dangit. Start writing again. Its good fkr you!h

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

Aw dangit. Start writing again. Its good fkr you!h

Is this the CYOA equivalent of drunk dialing your ex?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Is this the CYOA equivalent of drunk dialing your ex?

The hell. Yet one more thing on my phone that sucks. Have to edit just about everything I type on this bastard.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blasphemaster posted:

The hell. Yet one more thing on my phone that sucks. Have to edit just about everything I type on this bastard.

What inspired you to post here 3 months later?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

What inspired you to post here 3 months later?

I saw this thread referenced in Ice Phisherman's Blake Island CYOA. It's a fantastic read and tbh I didn't notice the last post date.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Help I don't remember reading or bookmarking this at all and having this bumped just to learn of its fate is very traumatic for me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Help I don't remember reading or bookmarking this at all and having this bumped just to learn of its fate is very traumatic for me

Very Shakespearean

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I've been working up what I thought was a novel and interesting setting only to get beat to the punch by a game on Steam! :argh:

With that said I've got a lull atm and seeing as I didn't do a tell all setting/exposition dump this character is still viable. I'll be back to my regularly irregular updates in about a week or so (though you know how that goes :sigh:).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Have Blue posted:

I've been working up what I thought was a novel and interesting setting only to get beat to the punch by a game on Steam! :argh:
It's okay not to be the only person exploring a setting. Just look at all the 40k stuff around here!

Have Blue posted:

With that said I've got a lull atm and seeing as I didn't do a tell all setting/exposition dump this character is still viable. I'll be back to my regularly irregular updates in about a week or so (though you know how that goes :sigh:).
Hype!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Oh balls what game is being referred to? I have a feeling my steam library has an opening.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Blasphemaster posted:

Oh balls what game is being referred to? I have a feeling my steam library has an opening.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668590/Omen_Exitio_Plague/

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:stare: :shepspends:

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
A teaser:

Have Blue posted:

Minivote closed. D) No wins.

"Ah, robbing museums can be quite troublesome I see. 'Bumped loose' indeed!" *chuckle*

"I'd like to extend an offer: we will perform a full diagnostic and deep survey of your systems in exchange for rights to use the (anonymized) gathered data as we see fit and an additional battery of physical tests. Functionality in various conditions, extent of capabilities, etcetera, etcetera."

He waves dismissively.

"This will also give us a good starting point for any tweaks and upgrades you'd like to make in the future. What do you say?"

A) Yes

B) No

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, poo poo, guess we kinda have to let him take his readings.

A, and remind him that our employers are extremely protective of their secrets.

"Not to worry, their secrets are safe with me! I do believe that counts as 'informed consent'. Let's begin."

The man stands and claps his hands, the room lights brightening then dimming to little more than a sullen glow. He digs in a drawer for a small plaque and places it on the front desk. It reads "BUSY".

"If you'd follow me, please. Oh I'm so excited, and I'm sure you'd rather be rid of those nasty bugs crawling around inside you."

He gives another chuckle, then turns to a recessed door behind the desk.

It slides smoothly open and he walks through, vanishing. You cautiously walk over and peer inside:

The back of the man's mask(?) glints at you in the suddenly harsh light of the stairwell.

"Come! Come! There is much to do!"

Resigned, you follow him down to another door and find yourself in an airlock(?). A deep hum surrounds you. You wait awkwardly, the hum rising to a whine-

Everything goes white.

There is light, and it burns.

There is darkness, and labored breathing. Yours? Yours.

"All clean! Wouldn't want anything foul getting in.. or out for that matter."

More laughter covers the sound of the door at the other end opening:

Blank halls, more harsh light. It's cold down here, the kind of cold that slows cells and speeds CPUs. You're lead to an examination room(?). Instruments and monitors crowd around a thick slab in the middle. Your host stops and basks in their glow, breathing deep.

"Now if you'll just lie down and relax, we'll get started."

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 12, 2018

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 23, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yessssss it returns

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Oh boy I can't wait for all our problems to fix themselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:woop:

I trust this clearly stable man who obviously has our best interests at heart

• Locked thread