Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kudaros posted:

I already got the PhD, which is ML relevant. I've got my eye on waiting around for a tenure track at my preferred university or my backup plan of retiring at ~45 or less. There's also some national labs with positions that use ML as a tool for difficult problems I'm interested in. I am employed now though. I have not seen very many jobs with that kind of salary on offer up front. I'd like to move somewhere for a little while and come back but between this high salary, low cost of living, and strong social support network its real tough to justify.

The sense I get is that any move to NYC or SF would be a severe loss in income. Or to Gitlab and buffer anywhere (lol).

• nobody offers anything "up front," except the government.

• if you expect to get paid, don't look at startup jobs. unprofitable companies aren't paying good salaries.

• nyc and sf are where the giant, profitable companies are -- sf for tech, nyc for everything else -- so that's where the high paying jobs are, too.

Kudaros posted:

Maybe I just don't know the right people or how to look. Are glassdoor estimates *that* much of a lowball?

glassdoor is full of complainers thinking about leaving their job, so it skews low

you are also probably looking at the wrong job titles. anything that mentions machine learning in the title is probably an ETL job, and ETL developers are cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

how would you answer the question "so why are you looking to relocate here?" i usually just say something about being familiar with the area and wanting to leave my current location but today i had a recruiter tell me "well, thats a pretty bad reason and you know if you move forward you will need a better, more specific reason to tell the hiring manager." i ended the call shortly after that.

is what i've been saying so bad? i mean, i'm looking to get out of a super toxic environment but saying that feels too personal for an initial HR screen.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaman Linavi posted:

how would you answer the question "so why are you looking to relocate here?" i usually just say something about being familiar with the area and wanting to leave my current location but today i had a recruiter tell me "well, thats a pretty bad reason and you know if you move forward you will need a better, more specific reason to tell the hiring manager." i ended the call shortly after that.

is what i've been saying so bad? i mean, i'm looking to get out of a super toxic environment but saying that feels too personal for an initial HR screen.

what a bizarre question for them to get hung up on. if you’re moving there anyway how is “seems cool there” not good enough?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
just say you have family there--tell them whatever they need to hear so you can get through to the people that actually do the work

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Just tell the truth. Something like, "It doesn't matter where I live because I don't go outside."

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You're willing to pick up your life and move somewhere else, why is it that you chose that particular location over the presumably dozens others other potential places

Essentially it's a play on the "so why are you looking for a new job" question

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

glassdoor is full of complainers thinking about leaving their job, so it skews low
ive thought about creating a glassdoor review bingo card with squares like: "management is clueless", "some good people here", "hard work goes unrewarded", "management should listen more", "need to offer better benefits", "feel unappreciated", and "they should promote more from within"

theyre really amazingly consistent across all companies and job types

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Finally got the online assessment from Amazon, apparently the recruiter screwed up some details in the system and it didn't send it the first time.

Apparently they have some kind of "personality test" lol. What's all that about? Like, how often I work overtime? How many souls I consume on a daily basis?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

what a bizarre question for them to get hung up on. if you’re moving there anyway how is “seems cool there” not good enough?

it costs a normal human being many thousands of dollars to move cross-country. people don't do this for no reason

employers generally do not want to smell desperation on a candidate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

the recruiter gave you good advice and saved you from loving it up during a phone screen.

make up a good reason. any reason. just as long as it's plausible. "seems cool there" ain't a plausible reason to spend $10k+ moving across country, unless you are either desperate or stupid, and employers don't want desperate or stupid

if you are moving to sf / nyc / whatever, that reason could be a desire to be closer to the center of the action in the industry -- greater opportunities and cooler projects

if you are moving to the sticks, well, you better have a reason the sticks sound inordinately appealing. family? university ties? something your spouse is forcing you to do?

Shaman Linavi posted:

yeah never, ever let on that your prior job was a toxic environment

the stink attaches to you, too

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Amazon uses their leadership principals to asses current and new employees. http://whartonmagazine.com/blogs/learn-from-amazons-leadership-principles/

The personality test is to see how well you'll fit in. Study up on those and have some specific experiences in the past where you demonstrated those principals.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the recruiter gave you good advice and saved you from loving it up during a phone screen.

make up a good reason. any reason. just as long as it's plausible. "seems cool there" ain't a plausible reason to spend $10k+ moving across country, unless you are either desperate or stupid, and employers don't want desperate or stupid

yeah i think i'll work on my answer to this.
interestingly enough, the large companies i'm flying out to for in-persons simply said "hey the job is in location [x], are you willing to relocate there?" and they were fine with me just giving a yes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maybe they were wrong for accepting it without grilling you

I don’t actually know if that’s true or not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you are moving to sf / nyc / whatever, that reason could be a desire to be closer to the center of the action in the industry -- greater opportunities and cooler projects

if you are moving to the sticks, well, you better have a reason the sticks sound inordinately appealing. family? university ties? something your spouse is forcing you to do?

yeah never, ever let on that your prior job was a toxic environment

the stink attaches to you, too

what’s your job like

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

what’s your job like

soul-crushingly dull, but generously remunerated

also people are nice to me, which is an underrated feature in a workplace

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i work in Minnesota, I’m pretty sure “nice” in nyc is downright rude here

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it costs a normal human being many thousands of dollars to move cross-country. people don't do this for no reason

employers generally do not want to smell desperation on a candidate

yeah true. i think moving clear across the country because “gently caress it, bored and no jobs around” has probably skewed my perspective on stuff.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Janitor Prime posted:

Amazon uses their leadership principals to asses current and new employees. http://whartonmagazine.com/blogs/learn-from-amazons-leadership-principles/

The personality test is to see how well you'll fit in. Study up on those and have some specific experiences in the past where you demonstrated those principals.

It's like an online assessment, presumably multiple choice? I guess I should just say yes to everything that sounds like a leadership principle.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

i work in Minnesota, I’m pretty sure “nice” in nyc is downright rude here

well, yes and no

i don't mean the superficial "minnesota nice." i mean people are not backstabbing, gaslighting assholes trying to ruin my life. which is a pretty good thing to find in the office

it is true that nyc is not real big on small talk. but small talk is not the important feature of a nice person.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

People on the subway in NYC are rude. People in the bar in NYC are extremely friendly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You know what's worse than NYC? London. It's got all the shittiest things about NYC and Vancouver in one place and like none of the best parts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

You know what's worse than NYC? London. It's got all the shittiest things about NYC and Vancouver in one place and like none of the best parts.

london is less than 1/2 as dense as nyc, and has about 1/2 the population.

this has unpleasant knock-on effects for services and transportation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

London Underground cars have no a/c which is just great

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you are also probably looking at the wrong job titles. anything that mentions machine learning in the title is probably an ETL job, and ETL developers are cheap

:what:

I'm having trouble coming up with a bigger description mismatch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

:what:

I'm having trouble coming up with a bigger description mismatch

welcome to job title inflation

it's not a mis-match, though. like 90% of the work in any ML group is just slurping data in and out of other sources, because it's never in any convenient format

ETL is the bulk of the work, for real

even if you land one of those high-dollar jobs that leverages your modeling and statistics expertise, you will still spend an inordinate amount of your time worrying about ETL tasks -- either writing the code yourself or trying to persuade a moron "data science engineer" to do it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sounds about right afaict my wife is pursuing a phd in IRBs, proposal writing and ETL python scripts

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

london is less than 1/2 as dense as nyc, and has about 1/2 the population.

this has unpleasant knock-on effects for services and transportation

It's got like 7 mill people living there so you'd never really notice anyway. It's still unbelievably expensive and the people there aren't friendly. Its only saving grace is that the peasants there mug you with knives instead of guns.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Joseph J. Lhota said it was the opposite way around in an interview, the lines are far too spread out and income is capped. Google reports London have larger population than NYC so :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i just want to live comfortably and be happy

is that so loving hard

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Yes, surprisingly so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fiedler posted:

Yes, surprisingly so.

:negative:

ngl i'm beginning to wonder what really lies ahead in life and it don't look rosy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

ngl i'm beginning to wonder what really lies ahead in life and it don't look rosy.

welcome to the entirety of recorded human history.

we have democratized mass communications now whereas we didn't really have that even ten years ago. this makes it acutely apparent how fuckawful the world actually is for the first time ever, but with it comes the promise of actual systemic change after the last few decades of stagnation. but yeah things have always been bad. people survived somehow even through the worst of it. live goes on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
but yeah i am so loving glad i got out of the uk you have no idea

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welcome to job title inflation

it's not a mis-match, though. like 90% of the work in any ML group is just slurping data in and out of other sources, because it's never in any convenient format

ETL is the bulk of the work, for real

even if you land one of those high-dollar jobs that leverages your modeling and statistics expertise, you will still spend an inordinate amount of your time worrying about ETL tasks -- either writing the code yourself or trying to persuade a moron "data science engineer" to do it

oh yeah makes sense when you put it that way. I guess there'd at least be some interesting work around the ETL stuff though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Joseph J. Lhota said it was the opposite way around in an interview, the lines are far too spread out and income is capped. Google reports London have larger population than NYC so :shrug:

compare the metro area populations, not the city limits. london had its city borders expanded to cover most of its suburbs in the 1960s, so the unit of government is a larger fraction of the total metro area

nyc limits, 8.5 million. nyc metro area, 25 million
london limits, 9 million, london metro area, 16 million

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

joe lhota is an insufferable twat, and the mta is possibly the worst transportation agency in the entire world.

lhota's entire stock in trade is making excuses for why a system with high ridership, high recovery ratios, and a multi-billion dollar capital budget cannot keep up with maintenance, much less improve itself

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pollyanna posted:

i just want to live comfortably and be happy

is that so loving hard

life is suffering and we are all trapped in samsara.

so yes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
comfortable is a lot more achievable than happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Pollyanna posted: