Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Captain Mediocre posted:

I joined the beta branch for the hotfix patch and it appears to have corrected Mayor Eder's dialogue interactions to be suitably sceptical of Eothas. However when asked what he's been doing, he still talks about visiting his parents rather than any mayoral stuff. Hard to know how if that matters at all, and also not tried a fresh restart yet to see if that clears everything up properly.

So this is weird. I did that on GOG (version 00071) and restarted and imported my save and Eder is still talking about the night market. However, I loaded my save from the release version (where he also imported incorrectly) and he has dialogue about being mayor. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Do you have to beat the first game to enjoy this one?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not really

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

For a pure evoker should I be just picking up almost nothing but passive abilities since you can get spells from grimoires?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Is it normal to go through a bunch of side quests without gaining approval from companions? Only eder likes me So far.

How do you even get approval with Aloth? Like I know it's tied to their likes and dislikes on the reputation screen, but I can't figure out what options to chose that would gain favor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gamesguy posted:

For a pure evoker should I be just picking up almost nothing but passive abilities since you can get spells from grimoires?

I think there are a few go-to spells it's worth grabbing because you always want them handy. Expose Vulnerabilities, etc. Maybe Tattered Veils and Arcane Shield. Stuff you're gonna have scripted in the AI to go off like every fight. Eldritch Aim if you aren't using a priest for the priest Per buff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also

Oh God they made choosing your skills HARD this game

it is now basically impossible to cover everything and you pretty much have to pick an angle and stack it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think weapon skills should have some advantage over just the model. I dont care about the modal at all

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also

Oh God they made choosing your skills HARD this game

it is now basically impossible to cover everything and you pretty much have to pick an angle and stack it.

Not really? Make sure the Watcher has insight since companions are never checked for it and you can pass almost every check in the game if you have your active party covering 2 active/2 passive skills each.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why aren’t companions checked for Insight?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Subjunctive posted:

Did you make sure that the companions are close enough? It's like a 10m range or something surprisingly short.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I think weapon skills should have some advantage over just the model. I dont care about the modal at all

Some of the modals seem way better than others. The Dagger modal in particular is kind of amazingly useful, but all the ones that slow you by 50%... probably not so much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Not really? Make sure the Watcher has insight since companions are never checked for it and you can pass almost every check in the game if you have your active party covering 2 active/2 passive skills each.

Yeah that will mostly work but there are a lot of checks you're going to miss that way ( https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options )

There are additional wrinkles like you need 15 arcana for some scrolls etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 12, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GrandpaPants posted:

Did you make sure that the companions are close enough? It's like a 10m range or something surprisingly short.

I’m just asking because the previous poster said that’s what happens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GrandpaPants posted:

I think he meant that companions never have to check insight independently, like in interactive menus etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Subjunctive posted:

I meant they aren't ever checked solo for it since basically everything with insight comes up in a conversation where only the watcher is checked or they just add the party bonus. Every other skill has times it can be used fully in scripted sections or in environmental interaction by companions except insight. So its one of the skills you want for sure on your Watcher if you want to cover everytbing efficiently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Or I should say, the Dagger modal seems crazy useful for dual-wielding.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh they just fixed Gaun's Pledge, didn't notice I was missing it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think he meant that companions never have to check insight independently, like in interactive menus etc.

All the more reason to come see me in Sayuka and pay me for my secrets

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Having played it a bunch more, Kind Wayferer / Soul Blade dual wielding is the poo poo. Paladin's inherent defenses + Flame heals lets you tank in light armor, so you hit like a truck super fast, you can bounce between Flame bursts and Annihilations for a really long time, exploding everything you come across while regenerating health like you have a super-charged Moonwell up. Some Cipher and Paladin abilities for utility, and you tank, dps, and support as good as any other class does one job.

The only thing that's beat this build so far is boarding a ship to find that they have 20+ guns pointed at me. Melted my party no matter what I tried, mostly before we could use even one ability so I reloaded an earlier save and just avoided that pirate. Not a fan of the ship battles so far.

Oh good, I'd wondered. I decided on a solo Cipher for my first run but I might seriously consider doing this route next time.

Just like PoE1, melee Ciphers work just fine (for now). Start with a quarterstaff or build Focus with a ranged weapon, then dive in like you're playing a rogue and start beating up Blind/Terrified/Confused/Flanked people. They can't tank, but they can hit things just fine.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

:same:

Btw, has anyone datamined Modwyr's different class abilities? I bound her to Monk on my PC, but I'm wondering what the Barbarian upgrade did now...
FWIW the first Monk upgrade is +2% action speed on hit stacking up to +30%

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
beat at 47 hours doing a decent amount, but definitely not all of the sdiequests and having less than half the map fully revealed. Got happy slides for just about every character, though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

but but but damage resistances and penetration thresholds and “no best weapon” and and

nah they’re pretty underwhelming. maybe that’s super important on PotD? normal mode is easy enough to brute force every encounter. i guess the game is designed around / intended to be played PotD?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the end of the hasongo quest has a very good dialog choice

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm slowly grinding Modwyr for further class abilities on Cipher, similar stacking mechanic but it was attack speed to build focus?

Also some faction questions, specifically Principi so far A Shrewd Proposition. Sites on raw data show it has multiple endings, but do I have to kill at least one leader to finish it without beelining Bluff?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/CZrrJky.jpg Modwyr barbarian stats, see if you got different ones.

Also as a lvl 14 Ravager with superb weapons on Veteran, I'm genuinely unsure if this game's difficulty is bugged. Feels extremely easy at this point, the AI can win fights on its own most of the time. I'd actually love if there was a console command to check I wasn't playing on a lower difficulty.

Also you can fully upgrade Modwyr if you go find her old owner, not sure if it has different stats to if you just upgrade the soul binding though.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 12, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's with the invisible NPCs at the northern edge of Queen's Berth?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 12, 2018

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Zore posted:

Anyone found the soulbound Arquebus yet?

It's on the Motare o Kozi island - 2 east, 1 north of Nekehara. There's a goody hut on the west of the island that has it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Guys I need some male dwarf pirate portraits, where can I find some?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

It is really disappointing how easy the game is on Veteran with upscaling on. I've literally just been selecting my whole party and clicking on enemies one by one and winning fights with ease. No need to buff, debuff or use abilities of any kind. There were a handful of challenging fights when I was under level 8 (like the giant grub) but I've been steamrolling everything ever since.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Accretionist posted:

What's with the invisible NPCs at the northern edge of Queen's Berth?

It's been some dudes that are part of a quest, I think they only come out at night as well.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What should I do to win sea battles with my tiny Defiant?

In my first fight I manuevered and reduced their crew to 1, then boarded, but they still had way more dudes than me and I got slaughtered quickly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Good news! Ship crews are bugged. As I understand it there's a living and dead model for each crewmate, and when you kill them in the ship battle and then board the dead model spawns, but so does the living model. Once that's patched up ship battles will go a lot better

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Traxis posted:

It is really disappointing how easy the game is on Veteran with upscaling on. I've literally just been selecting my whole party and clicking on enemies one by one and winning fights with ease. No need to buff, debuff or use abilities of any kind. There were a handful of challenging fights when I was under level 8 (like the giant grub) but I've been steamrolling everything ever since.

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. PotD is exactly the same.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Are romances mutually exclusive?
I'm in a flirt-relationship with Tekehu when I really want to get to know Maia better (but I don't know how, apparently I need to get sharkmeat somehow?)

But I really don't want to give up these dialogs.

After that second conversation after you say "i'll be in my bunk" if Maia's in the party she actually says "yeah... me too..." or something along those lines.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ColdIronsBound posted:

It's on the Motare o Kozi island - 2 east, 1 north of Nekehara. There's a goody hut on the west of the island that has it.

Oh good, I was heading there next.

bewilderment posted:

Are romances mutually exclusive?
I'm in a flirt-relationship with Tekehu when I really want to get to know Maia better (but I don't know how, apparently I need to get sharkmeat somehow?)
I was in a very brief flirt-relationship with Tekehu and Maia said something about how maybe she'd be interested if I wasn't already seeing sharkboy. Breaking it off with Sharkboy a) doesn't seem reversable and b) didn't enable Maia, so I don't know.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I'm pretty far in on upscaled veteran and the grub fight was harder than any other so far, mainly because it kept hitting random party members for 140 damage at level 7. The random location with a bunch of season-themed druids smooshed together was pretty hard too since they nuke the poo poo out of you on top of summoning greater blights. Everything else has been at most moderately difficult

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Just patch them to pick the players pockets and call it a reference to fallout 2.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the importance of armor in this game? Should I sacrifice, say, 35% recovery speed for 8 armor (I'm level 5) :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

PirateBob posted:

What's the importance of armor in this game? Should I sacrifice, say, 35% recovery speed for 8 armor (I'm level 5) :confused:

Early game you will want decent armor on your frontliners. Mid-late game wear what looks cool because you will be steamrolling everything anyway.