Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, this was just published on IndieWire. It's a summary of a panel Brosh-McKenna and Bloom were on in which there is a bit of reflection on past seasons and I think a bit of an idea of how Season 4 might start, although no specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

While Season 3 had an absolutely amazing peak, I feel like it was overall kind of disappointing. I loved the stuff about Rebecca's personal journey, but the West Covina antics stuff felt weaker than ever. Also I have no idea why they decided it would be a good stuff to skip eight months of personal journey for all the side characters, that straight up killed what interest I had in their stories.

Not to mention that Beth feels like a complete non-character who exists solely to be a love interest and while Valencia certainly deserves one, Beth is so very boring and they have absolutely zero chemistry.
Season 3 definitely loses sight of its supporting cast, but I think that's a consequence of CW constantly messing with their episode order and poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Season 3 definitely loses sight of its supporting cast, but I think that's a consequence of CW constantly messing with their episode order and poo poo.

Is this a thing that happened? I've never heard about it before.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
(It's been a few months so my recollections might be fuzzy, but) I feel like I'm the only one who was on the show's wavelength with the time-jump and also with Beth. I thought when Valencia first met Beth it was obvious Valencia was going to start dating her to take advantage of Beth's business connections, so the jump was just skipping over what the show had already indicated would happen. I never felt the need to see Beth as more than a device because I thought that's what she was to Valencia. (Not explicitly, but if you really pressed Valencia she'd admit on some level that's why they were together.) I didn't feel confused at all about their relationship after the jump.

As for Heather, we didn't need a full nine months of pregnancy storylines. She was pregnant and after the jump she was still pregnant.

Rebecca and Nathaniel were stuck in a holding pattern and the fact nothing had changed with them after so many months WAS the development.

For me the jump worked.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Another interview with vague hints about Season 4, mostly fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCBy1gz6UQ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this a thing that happened? I've never heard about it before.
Supposedly, but I am not a Hollywoo reporter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So... yeah... :smith:

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/1017495393397903360

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Quite the turn from not caring about award shows.

https://youtu.be/FQ45f6QCE9A

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, surrogate motherhood has been in the news in Israel recently, and seems like Heather wouldn't have been able to be one over there: they won't let you before you've had your first child. I've googled, and it seems it's highly unlikely that they'll allow you to be one without a prior pregnancy in the US, too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bump for Season 4 news: Skylar Astin of Pitch Perfect fame will join Season 4 as a "reimagined" Greg.

Is it time for a S4 thread?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Terrible? Can I preemptively call this terrible?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So did he turn them down or could they not afford him? Not sure I understand why he has to be recast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

uhhhhhhhhhh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Harlock posted:

Terrible? Can I preemptively call this terrible?

This is America, you can call it whatever you like. :911:

Zil posted:

So did he turn them down or could they not afford him? Not sure I understand why he has to be recast.

He left for good and is doing his own thing, so maybe they decided to plan around him not wanting to come back. They say they told him this would happen. It could be that behind the scenes they begged him to come back to the show and he turned them down. I don't know. :shrug:

Edit: It's also an 18-episode season, like the first. So I suggest we all buckle up; it's gonna be a riiiiiiideeeee :kheldragar:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

That sucks I always liked him as Greg. I mean if any show could do an interesting way of handling the switch it's this show, but still going to miss him.

I wanted Greg back, but not like this. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zil posted:

That sucks I always liked him as Greg. I mean if any show could do an interesting way of handling the switch it's this show, but still going to miss him.

I wanted Greg back, but not like this. :smith:

That's some monkey paw crap, innit?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Who's the new Greg?
I don't like him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s638IMetB9I

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Harlock posted:

Who's the new Greg?
I don't like him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s638IMetB9I

Eugh, they already had a reprise for this one. :sigh:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Maybe it'll be like a Talented Mr. Ripley thing where someone kills the real Greg and takes over his life.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Yeah, I don’t like this news. I’m sure Skylar Astin will be fine but I will really miss Santino.

I’m particularly surprised about this given the conversation I had with Santino last year. He and I were in a concert together and I told him how much I loved and missed him on CEG. He said he hoped he’d be able to return and that fans should email/tweet at the creators if they wanted him back since they’re very receptive. But he also talked about how difficult it was to juggle the filming schedule with his life in NY. So yeah. It’s possible they just couldn’t make it work. I really hope there wasn’t some sort of falling out.

e: I just remembered that he’s doing the world premiere of Tootsie the musical here starting next month. So that would be pretty hard to schedule around, I’d imagine. http://www.playbill.com/article/tootsie-musical-starring-santino-fontana-will-play-chicago-before-2019-broadway-premiere

Melicious fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 7, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yikes

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I could see them having Santino and Skylar switch back and forth for at least one episode if they're trying to hang a lampshade on it by saying "This is how Rebecca sees Greg now", or at least a one off gag where he looks into the mirror and sees himself differently than we're seeing him.

It would be a shame never to see Santino again since he was so good in the first few seasons. With all of the different songs and styles they've used,. one of my favorites of the whole show is still "Hey, West Covina"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Superrodan posted:

I could see them having Santino and Skylar switch back and forth for at least one episode if they're trying to hang a lampshade on it by saying "This is how Rebecca sees Greg now", or at least a one off gag where he looks into the mirror and sees himself differently than we're seeing him.

It would be a shame never to see Santino again since he was so good in the first few seasons. With all of the different songs and styles they've used,. one of my favorites of the whole show is still "Hey, West Covina"

That one and I Could if I Wanted To are my favorites.

Zil fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If we're doing Greg Songs, I prefer "Settle for Me" and "We Tapped that rear end".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still can't believe they're doing this. What a mess.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

I still can't believe they're doing this. What a mess.

Indeed. It reads like they are going to spin it with "people change" and "you look different" jokes.
But. Still.
Ugh.

While we are complaining, I found Mrs. Hernandez more interesting and likable when she didn't talk and I do not miss Karen at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Indeed. It reads like they are going to spin it with "people change" and "you look different" jokes.
But. Still.
Ugh.

While we are complaining, I found Mrs. Hernandez more interesting and likable when she didn't talk and I do not miss Karen at all.
It's a disappointingly lazy piece of writing from a normally talented team.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Do they REALLY have more Greg story they needed to tell, to the point of bringing the character back for the final season after a pretty strong sendoff, and recasting him? The show isn't Greg's story. He was part of Rebecca's, and he entered and left when he needed to. To bring him back in any capacity at this point is concerning, but I hope they know what they're doing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a disappointingly lazy piece of writing from a normally talented team.

Wait, what? How? Season 4 isn't out yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, have some patience. They have 18 episodes in which to disappoint us. OR NOT!

Edit: Case in point:

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1027016471669428224

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 8, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why did he need to come back so badly. The last thing we heard about him was the perfect capstone to the Greg storyline. This is dumb

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Why did he need to come back so badly. The last thing we heard about him was the perfect capstone to the Greg storyline. This is dumb

Was a total shitshow.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 4:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, what? How? Season 4 isn't out yet.
I'm talking about the already-announced Greg decision.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Harlock posted:

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 4:

:same:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm talking about the already-announced Greg decision.

Yeah, I follow you. But the part I don't get is how this is definitely an example of bad writing when there's currently no writing to be seen?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Yeah, I follow you. But the part I don't get is how this is definitely an example of bad writing when there's currently no writing to be seen?

Because goons. Duh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The TV IV › Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 4: Greg Classic No Longer Available

:smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SirSamVimes posted:

The TV IV › Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 4: Greg Classic No Longer Available

:smith:

:perfect: but also :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Relisting and Jap Battle and Winds are actually the best.

• Locked thread