Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's a summary of practice sessions among the Y/O ranks. (leading up to a basho, its common for wrestlers to visit other Heyas to train with wrestlers who they don't see every day, and those public practice matches are useful to see how they are doing)

Hakuho has been dominant, winning just about every practice session, though he did reportedly have trouble with Ichinojo, going 2-4 against him when he visited his heya.

Kakuryu and Goeido have both generally done pretty well, Takayasu is clearly hurt and not doing so well. Kisenosato has looked terrible, he went 2-9 against Tochinoshin, and he even struggled to a losing record against Kotoshogiku. We will probably hear an announcement tonight (Friday morning in Japan) that Kisenosato will be out for May, but its not official quite yet.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apart from beating up on injured Kisenosato how's Tochinoshin looking? 10 wins with two fit Yokozuna and one Ozeki isn't impossible...

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I need to revise my description of Hakuho being "dominant", he's been very careful in his choice of opponents. I also missed that he didn't do so well yesterday. Tochinoshin reportedly injured his shoulder last month and got a late start on practice, but since this may be the last chance he'll get at promotion, he's been preparing. He says some days his shoulder hurts and some days its fine.

Anyway, fans and media don't seem to keep close track of matches except for high-profile and "interesting" wrestlers. Also, sometimes they are working on technique rather than focused on winning (specifically, Endo said he wasn't concerned about the wins and losses, he was working on other things), but here's what I found:

Hakuho (10-0) vs young cannon fodder at his own heya
Hakuho (13-0) total in bouts vs Kaisei, Takarafuji, Kyokutaisei, and Homarafuji
Hakuho (11-0) total on another day in bouts vs Kaisei and Takarafuji
Hakuho (2-4) vs Ichinojo
Hakuho (8-9) total in bouts vs Ichinojo and Yutakayama

Kisenosato (18-2) vs Takayasu (that should tell you something about Takayasu's injury)
Kisenosato (2-9) vs Tochinoshin
Kisenosato (6-10) vs Kotoshogiku

Kakuryu (18-0) total in bouts vs Yutakayama and others
Kakuryu (17-0) total in bouts vs Yutakayama (8), Shodai (5), and Azumaryu (4)

Goeido (18-3) vs Endo

Takayasu (4-3) vs Toyonoshima (currently below Juryo)
Takayasu (13-12) total in bouts vs Yutakayama, Shodai, and Nishikigi
Takayasu (1-1) vs Takekaze, injured after 2nd match

Tochinoshin (7-1) total in bouts vs Mitakeumi and Tochiozan
Tochinoshin (4-4) on another day vs Mitakeumi
Tochinoshin (7-2) on another day total in bouts vs Mitakeumi, Yutakayama, and Tochiozan
Tochinoshin (9-8) on another day total in bouts vs Tochiozan, Aoiyama, and Mitakeumi

Endo (7-1) total in bouts vs Sadanoumi and Myogiryu

Ichinojo (16-0) total in bouts vs Yutakayama and others (not Hakuho)

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 10, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like every rikishi has some kind of fuckup they wrestle through. Do they ever get any time off to recover or is it just tournaments and tours all year?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato is kyujo for the May tournament. So:

Y/O: Kakuryu/Goeido/Hakuho
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Endo
M1-M5: Chiyotairyu/Kaisei/Ikioi
M6-M10: Okinoumi/Chiyomaru/Kagayaki
M11+: Sadanoumi/Arawashi/Asanoyama

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato is now starting to break some bad records. This is the longest absence by a Yokozuna in 16 years.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There doesn't seem to be any other last-minute news, so everyone other than Kisenosato is competing on Day 1, unless someone trips on a step while walking into a building or gets a last-second training injury tomorrow. (Friday morning is when they set the matches for Sunday, so anyone who isn't going to compete needed to tell them by now to avoid giving someone a walkover win)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I spoke too soon. Takayasu is kyujo for Day 1. His oyakata said they might consider entering the tournament a few days in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless it really hurts his standing I hope he just rests and wrecks everyone next basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rigel posted:

Kisenosato is now starting to break some bad records. This is the longest absence by a Yokozuna in 16 years.

Yeah, and that time it was by Takanohana, who had won 22 championships at that point. Poor Kisenosato – if he's not intai before Nagoya I'd be stunned.

It looks like the top competitors are all dropping like flies, but the younger guys aren't quite ready. Other than Tochinoshin's ozeki run, who's in contention? Ichinojo? Maybe if he shows up and posts 11 wins or something that'll seem reasonable, but his consistency is still in doubt. Mitakeumi spent a year not being able to do it, Onosho/Takakiesho/Hokutofuji are all injured or recovering, Abi and Yutakayama and that whole crew are way too green, Tamawashi and Yoshikaze and Ikioi etc. are all too old, really.

At this point I honestly can't point to anyone in Makuuchi who seriously looks like the next yokozuna. Looking at the list I just rattled off, it actually looks like Mitakeumi is the closest, in terms of his versatility and talent, but he can't seem to stay strong all 15 days. I wonder if Natsu is going to make anything more clear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ichinojo isn't bad, but .. how do I articulate it .. he seems like such a one trick pony?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Unless it really hurts his standing I hope he just rests and wrecks everyone next basho.

If he sits out, then it'll put an end to his longshot Yokozuna run, but that was probably up in smoke anyway if he's hurt, so yeah he should rest. He'll be kadoban in July if he sits out, but still Ozeki.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Everyone make sure to submit your picks by tomorrow night! I'm gonna do the draft around 10 or 11 PDT.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho/Kakuryu/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Shohozan/Abi/Kotoshogiku
M6-M10: Chiyomaru/Ryuden/Yoshikaze
M11+: Aoiyama/Chiyonokuni/Ishiura

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Martytoof posted:

Ichinojo isn't bad, but .. how do I articulate it .. he seems like such a one trick pony?

He's frustrating because some days he's unstoppable and other days he's like "what's a sumo?"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O: Kakuryu/Hakuho/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Endo
M1-M5: Kaisei/Shodai/Daieisho
M6-M10: Chiyoshoma/Ryuden/Hokutofuji
M11+: Aoiyama/Ishiura/Aminishiki

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

He's frustrating because some days he's unstoppable and other days he's like "what's a sumo?"

Yeah, that was my thought too.

Martytoof posted:

Some awesome Sumo today.

Watching Ichinojou is infuriating. It's either "How has he ever beaten anyone??" or "how has anyone ever beaten him??". Two completely different wrestlers depending on the day.

But even on days where he’s unstoppable he feels very one-trick. Having said that, I’m sure I’m not being fair and just not remembering him using various techniques or being interesting.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know it's a longshot but I really hope Aminishiki makes kachi-kochi this tournament. I love that old dude for sticking with the sport for so long.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Martytoof posted:

But even on days where he’s unstoppable he feels very one-trick. Having said that, I’m sure I’m not being fair and just not remembering him using various techniques or being interesting.

He’ll bust out an kotenage or uwatenage once or twice per basho against someone who's aggressively pushing back against him, but for the most part, he relies on using his bulk to lean on his opponents.

Sure, he's a one-trick pony, but Kotoshogiku made a career out of being one too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Finally did the draft! Here are the teams:

anakha

y/o: Kakuryu
s/k: Tochinoshin
m1-5: Tamawashi
m6-10: Hokutofuji
M11+: Arawashi

Fluffdaddy

y/o: Hakuho
s/k: Ichinojo
m1-5: Shodai
m6-10: Ryuden
M11+: Ishiura

Kanthulu

m1-5: Kaisei
m6-10: Hokutofuji
M11+: Aoiyama

Kenning

m1-5: Tamawashi
m6-10: Takakeisho
M11+: Asanoyama

Rigel

s/k: Endo
m1-5: Chiyotairyu
m6-10: Okinoumi
M11+: Sadanoumi

Sivad

y/o: Goeido
m1-5: Shohozan
m6-10: Chiyomaru
M11+: Chiyonokuni

Vargatron

m1-5: Kaisei
m6-10: Chiyoshoma
M11+: Aoiyama

The current wire is:

rigel
Fluffdaddy
Vargatron
Kanthulu
anakha
Kenning
sivad

The following wrestlers are unavailable for trading:

Kakuryu
Hakuho
Tochinoshin
Ichinojo
Kaisei
Tamawashi
Aoiyama

With 7 people playing, it's 3 per for san'yaku, and 2 per for maegashira. Should all be straightforward. Looking forward to some sumo!

fake edit: One funny thing is that I believe everyone's picks for the s/k ranks were identical. I guess it says something of how people expect this thing to go.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ahh drat, im happy i got kakuryu because he's been a stud in the "offseason", but i was hoping maybe i'd have ichinojo in S/K. Oh well, I'm 1st position on the waiver wire, and I think I'll need to take advantage of that in an important day this basho.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 13, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not very thrilling day one, eh

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I liked that Shohozan had his mawashi tied Tochinoshin-styles against Tochinoshin.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nothing really crazy day.1, but it's nice to see Tochinoshin still fighting with grit and power. If he can keep on that track I think double digits are possible.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008
Rest in Peace, Doreen

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"All the while, Ms. Simmons deepened her devotion to sumo, in which two enormous men in loincloths attempt to push each other to the ground or beyond a prescribed circle."

While technically accurate, there has to be a better way to sum up Sumo in a sentence or less :q:

Then again, I guess when you try to sum up any sport in a few words it'll come off sounding silly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Day 2:

Endo's bout was very exciting. Abi put up a good fight but it was over as soon as Tochinoshin grabbed his belt. Kaisei is running into issues due to his higher rank, though he fell victim to Ichinojo's lean strategy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Sanyaku are defending their turf so far this basho, which is a nice change. The last couple tournaments, everything promptly went haywire in the first couple days.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Day 2:

...he fell victim to Ichinojo's lean strategy.

The only lean thing about him.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hey all, sorry for not posting results yesterday, I was traveling on Mother's Day. Here we are for day 2:

code:
anakha		5
Fluffdaddy	6
Kanthulu	4
Kenning		7
rigel		8
sivad		5
Vargatron	5
I've been impressed by Abi so far. He's got good aggression, and seems to have at least some sort of plan coming into his bouts. Hope he can score an upset or two in the first week!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 3 standings:

code:
anakha		7
Fluffdaddy	10
Kanthulu	6
Kenning		10
rigel		10
sivad		8
Vargatron	7

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pulling seems to be a strategy that is backfiring for many rikishi on day 4.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 4:

The first major upset of the basho. Kakuryu finally had his pulls backfire. Hakuho is looking stronger and stronger as the tournament goes on. Tochinoshin really wants that Ozeki ranking. Good stuff so far.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Day 4:

The first major upset of the basho. Kakuryu finally had his pulls backfire. Hakuho is looking stronger and stronger as the tournament goes on. Tochinoshin really wants that Ozeki ranking. Good stuff so far.

He's fine if pivots and pulls or stands his ground and pulls. It when he panics and tries to make space by moving backwards that he does himself.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 5 was fun.

Holy crap, that Endo-Ichinojo match was nuts! The leaderboard is now down to 3.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 17, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat this Basho keeps getting better!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 5 really lighting up! Several banner bouts today. Daiamami v. Chiyonokuni and Ichinojo v. Endo are totally must-see.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 17, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tochinoshin halfway there... I'm getting pumped

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kaisei is looking pretty bad this basho. However, Abi is looking relatively good despite losing a lot of matches. He's going to be really hard to handle once he gets some experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, Kaisei is getting the regular M1 treatment, but he's also looking sluggish. Abi is really putting up good fights, and I'm super excited to see what he learns from his experience with the big boys.

I think I'm going to trade Tamawashi for Shodai.