Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

While I also dislike bob that is straight up wrong. You are deliberately choosing to only count what jon has said in the past month or so but digging up bob's stuff from years ago. Whereas say this time last year Jon was talking about how "cultural marxism" was a real thing and calling refugees rapists. Please do not defend the literal neonazi.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Jon. All I meant to say was that apart from the Apu thing, I was under the impression that he had mostly been quiet. There is certainly dumb crap such as this:
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/976123174218813440

A couple of those tweets from Bob are from six years ago, but these are from last month.
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/status/986511253290999809

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm willing to admit I might be desensitized from having to spend all day every day around teenagers who use the term "feminazi," unironically but will then eat up a feminist reading of a mythological text, but I draw a really sharp distinction between someone who spouts out horrible and disturbing poo poo that sounds fascist and inhuman and someone who regurgitates racist newsbites because they clearly ACTUALLY don't think some people deserve to be treated as human beings. To paraphrase the old adage, it's not a distinction that's easy to articulate, but it's fairly easy to identify when you see it.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 12, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s ironic Bob wants to cleanse the world of stupid people when he himself is beyond stupid!

The irony!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
dude, you need to stop going to twitter so much

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of Twitter, i just popped in to see Jay talking more poo poo about Hocus Pocus! Mother fucker must pay!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhhh you're aware jontron said insanely racist things in a debate with destiny a ways back? i'm surprised his career didn't implode after that.

the worst part about twitter is getting shadowbanned because you swear. i've probably spent more time shadowbanned than not on there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh you're aware jontron said insanely racist things in a debate with destiny a ways back? i'm surprised his career didn't implode after that.

I don't think most people who watch his videos even know about it (or alternatively don't care)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tired Moritz posted:

dude, you need to stop going to twitter so much

You're right. I also need to stop hanging around in this thread. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or sound indignant when I say that, either; in either case, I get obsessive about the stuff I read, and it's making me crazy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst part about twitter is getting shadowbanned because you swear. i've probably spent more time shadowbanned than not on there.

I am aware of that, and what I was trying to get across was that I still think want to see some kind of apology or atonement in regards to that. Whether he'll ever do that is questionable, but it something that I hope for, since I found his stuff really funny, and I want to go back to watching it without feeling guilty.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 12, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Again, I'm not trying to defend Jon. All I meant to say was that apart from the Apu thing, I was under the impression that he had mostly been quiet. There is certainly dumb crap such as this:
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/976123174218813440

Dankula has raised £190,505 to appeal his £800 fine! That's some grift.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Not to defend Jon or anything because I know he has some genuinely awful opinions, but arresting someone for making a dumb video on Youtube is ridiculous. They might as well start arresting anyone who has ever played a Nazi in a movie because I’m sure those roles all require them to say all sorts of horrible poo poo while in-character.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Bakeneko posted:

Not to defend Jon or anything because I know he has some genuinely awful opinions, but arresting someone for making a dumb video on Youtube is ridiculous.

I believe that was the crime he was arrested for, 'making a stupid video on youtube' with nothing else related to it.

quote:

They might as well start arresting anyone who has ever played a Nazi in a movie because I’m sure those roles all require them to say all sorts of horrible poo poo while in-character.

EDITED FOR BITCHINESS: I find that a very misleading and bad-faith argument, considering how spurious the connection is between a recording of someone doing something, and an artificial performance.

Are you going to make the same argument that actors who play murderers are going to get arrested for it? Because that's about as logical to me.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 12, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bakeneko posted:

Not to defend Jon or anything because I know he has some genuinely awful opinions, but arresting someone for making a dumb video on Youtube is ridiculous. They might as well start arresting anyone who has ever played a Nazi in a movie because I’m sure those roles all require them to say all sorts of horrible poo poo while in-character.

Next you'll tell us how Richard Spencer shouldn't get a fist to the face.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Are you going to make the same argument that actors who play murderers are going to get arrested for it? Because that's about as logical to me.

This is a very slippery slope we're on, we should exercise caution lest we face mass incarceration of actors.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I believe that was the crime he was arrested for, 'making a stupid video on youtube' with nothing else related to it.

EDITED FOR BITCHINESS: I find that a very misleading and bad-faith argument, considering how spurious the connection is between a recording of someone doing something, and an artificial performance.

Well they somehow interpreted the content of the video as “hate speech”, even though it was obviously just a joke (albeit one in poor taste). I was making the point that what he was doing was no different from someone saying a hateful line as part of a movie script; they're both done insincerely, for the sake of a performance, and do not reflect any actual hateful intent. That's why it's crazy to arrest someone for it.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 12, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was dumb to arrest Dankula because Britain has dumb laws. That doesn't make raising five figures to pay against a three figure fine any less grift, and it doesn't make Dank any less responsible for immediately going full CHUD and buddying up with literal nazis.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Dank any less responsible for immediately going full CHUD and buddying up with literal nazis.

I mean isn't is POSSIBLE... a shocking theory I know... that the guy who taught his girlfriends dog to do a hitler salute when he said 'gas all the jews' and 'seig heil' was just a nazi all along? And his video was a celebration of nazism and racism and was in fact actually hate speech? Shocking I know.

Also laws against nazi's are good imo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"Haha, look at this dumb guy enforcing dumb anti-nazi-bullshit laws." -An Intellectual

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
arrested for youtube crimes

also, anyone got any recommendations for good silent hill retrospectives?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean isn't is POSSIBLE... a shocking theory I know... that the guy who taught his girlfriends dog to do a hitler salute when he said 'gas all the jews' and 'seig heil' was just a nazi all along? And his video was a celebration of nazism and racism and was in fact actually hate speech? Shocking I know.

Also laws against nazi's are good imo.
I agree. I just think that getting arrested for it is an abridgment of freedom. Ostracize him, shame him, fire him, etc, I'm just uncomfortable with the government doing something that could result in jail-time.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

I agree. I just think that getting arrested for it is an abridgment of freedom. Ostracize him, shame him, fire him, etc, I'm just uncomfortable with the government doing something that could result in jail-time.

I think it's justified for Europeans to want legal repercussions against nazis and proponents of their imagery. Maybe just a bit.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I think at this point we've all formed our opinions on this subject, perhaps we should move on now

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think at this point we've all formed our opinions on this subject, perhaps we should move on now

Now that's a plan!

I was still looking for opinions on Cosmonaut Variety Hour btw.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
My favorite gaming youtuber just posted a video on the bear meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYk2i070I2I

The dinosaur-aficionados here may be interested in his analysis of past game patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yY9HKVmfA

Personally I think game was better back when therapsids were a viable build.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 12, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Devs are so poo poo. The promised rework for marine reptiles is never gonna materialize.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah,now that most of this thread have outed themselves as Nazi sympathizers,we need some detox.

Dean of Swing posted:

My favorite gaming youtuber just posted a video on the bear meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYk2i070I2I

Black bear is S-tier. Like he should be.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
hell yeah that's some quality content

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
mmm, im not sure about pandas being f-tier.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Now that's a plan!

I was still looking for opinions on Cosmonaut Variety Hour btw.

He can be pretty fun. There's, as the name suggests, some variety to the channel, mostly the main guy Marcus doing poo poo with his buddies with different conceits e.g. Designated Driver is him and Megan playing games drunk. He has a number of Star Wars videos, such as the problems he has with regards to Return of the Jedi, 3 videos on the Star Wars shows (one on why he likes Clone Wars and two on his problems with Rebels).

His Neo Yokio video also had some interesting insight into the thoughts of the creators and how it doesn't gel with a lot of the more charitable interpretations of the show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mandalore did a review of Sunless Sea, which is an excellent video game and I'm glad he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeh0KXqOQPU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dunkula shouldn't have got in legal trouble but he's always been a twitter dumbass.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

dunkula shouldn't have got in legal trouble but he's always been a twitter dumbass.

Yeah he totes should coz he broke this thing called 'the law' and is also a nazi.

Like I get that it's scary to think that the government can punish white people too, but it's a good thing I promise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the fact that even on the left it's been reduced to 'making his dog hiel' and not 'uploaded a video of him shouting 'gas the Jews' while cackling and showing Hitler's speeches' is probably why people have that knee jerk reaction, we let the right completely decide what that story was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no i know what he did.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

no i know what he did.

Surely you're not saying you're just generally sympathetic of nazis?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that sounds like me based on my posting.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, publicly execute anyone who is a Nazi or a friend of Nazis.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah that sounds like me based on my posting.

That was a bit OTT, I'm being unfairly hyperbolic with that one.

But you can't protect the speech of nazi's, because the only goal of their speech is to destroy the freedom of others. It seems like a contradiction but considering the guy was slapped with an 800 pound fine for being 'grossly offensive' I can't say I see it as a bad omen that the anti-nazi laws are going out of control or anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm not a free speech absolutist but i do see a difference between dankula and spencer. although it's of little consequence because the only reason the sargons and co. defended him was because he was saying racist poo poo. none of them defended islamists prosecuted under similar laws.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

so like, why are we debating the ethics of nazi pug guy,

first person to post something actually on topic gets one free pass to call me a dumbass and not get probed, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know what this thread could use?

Some anime