Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
So just for fun I tried out some modding to help make the battlefield a little easier to parse at a glance. So far I've got it working (to a degree, the ui handler wasn't really built for this) showing different icons for Circenn, but it's really just a fun side project. My theory is that it would be nice to be able to spot the difference between Levy, Retinue and Elite units at a glance since they serve such totally different battlefield purposes.

Still, it seems a fair bit easier to see what's going on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

shalcar posted:

So just for fun I tried out some modding to help make the battlefield a little easier to parse at a glance. So far I've got it working (to a degree, the ui handler wasn't really built for this) showing different icons for Circenn, but it's really just a fun side project. My theory is that it would be nice to be able to spot the difference between Levy, Retinue and Elite units at a glance since they serve such totally different battlefield purposes.

Nicely done!

Gimme.

I still don't really like the game but Iv been travelling all over the UK for work and it makes me wanna play the places I went. So Wales in this case.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Steam Workshop is up for ThroB, I'm going to give a new campaign a go with garrisons for minor settlements and see how/if that changes things. I'm enjoying the atmosphere of this game, but it's definitely on the easy side.

I felt that having four units per building was one too many since some of the minor settlements have two buildings (so they have 8 garrison units) so I took out the jav garrison unit in each building. Seems to work well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

shalcar posted:

Ideally I would replace the background color on each unit type flag to match the colors of their cards. That'd allow for making the type symbols much more abstract and easier to read.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I had really fun in ToB until my military allies decided to declared war against my vassals...
why would they do that?....

Now im in a clusterfuck war that will take ages to "fix"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Descar posted:

I had really fun in ToB until my military allies decided to declared war against my vassals...
why would they do that?....

Now im in a clusterfuck war that will take ages to "fix"

For gently caress's sake CA.

This has always been a problem since vassals were a thing in Total War. The AI absolutely refuses to consider the possibility that you might protect your vassals and will happily declare war on them because they're weak targets even if you're fast allies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tomn posted:

For gently caress's sake CA.

This has always been a problem since vassals were a thing in Total War. The AI absolutely refuses to consider the possibility that you might protect your vassals and will happily declare war on them because they're weak targets even if you're fast allies.

Yeah, they should do a thing where there is no direct declare war option on vassals, just on their suzerain, to prevent that kind of behavior. I think Europa Universalis does that?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

You can declare war on a vassal in EU. This is mainly so you can make use of casus belli that are not directly valid against the overlord. A DoW against a vassal is otherwise effectively a DoW against the overlord and the AI treats it as such.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

nopantsjack posted:

Nicely done!

Gimme.

It's only done for Circenn right now, but hopefully I'll get some time tonight and finish it for everyone. Any idea where people normally put pack files for mods these days? I'm not convinced it's good enough for Steam Workshop at the moment and everyone using it would basically be testing it warts and all.

turn off the TV posted:

Ideally I would replace the background color on each unit type flag to match the colors of their cards. That'd allow for making the type symbols much more abstract and easier to read.

Unfortunately that leaves the problem of the card then not telling you who/which side the unit belongs to, which I'm not sure is the right choice. Once I get the actual modding done it's pretty trivial to change out what the icons are for a given group so that's my first focus.

e: If anyone wants to suggest or create icons for it, it needs a 44x44 transparent PNG and a 24x24 transparent PNG file for each UI unit grouping.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well I got ToB and it's pretty cool so far. I love the setting and the art style and all that, and I kept reading about how easy the game is so I started a game on hard mode as the Irish. Maybe it's because it's been years since I've played a TW game or I'm just an idiot, but so far the game is pretty much the opposite of easy. It's ridiculously hard! I probably would have lost the whole campaign several times over now if I hadn't been constantly reloading savegames. Hard mode is hard, who would have thought? I'm having to fight wars on multiple fronts while barely being able to afford even one army, and it's impossible to defend everywhere at once. I can win battles, but I always take heavy losses and can't follow through on a victory, and eventually end up losing any ground I take. I've played for several hours now and the starting borders have not changed by even one village.

I guess I was expecting it to be easier because I remember how broken the old TW games were. This time though, I'm being invaded by multiple strong Viking armies that never stay down for long and I can just barely hold on. Maybe I should have picked an easier starting location.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

People who play Total War games on the reg and have beaten VH/Legendary campaigns have no concept of what these games are like for a normal person. Reviewers picking up the easiest faction in the game and declaring the game easy-peasy probably didn't help that impression either.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I haven’t played a huge amount admittedly but so far the AI seems curiously reluctant to attack you.

My current campaign is Mercia on very hard, and being completely surrounded by Vikings, the Welsh and Wessex I expected to be desperately fighting wars on multiple fronts but instead I’ve been completely left alone to decide where I want to take next at my leisure.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Well, the unit classes mod all works fine in everything except the recruitment screen, which can only handle 10 groupings of which the base game has 8. I was hoping that the UI handler was written in such a way that it would naturally expand of have a scroll bar, but it isn't which means that I'll need to wait for the modding toolkit to be released by CA before I can make the changes to the unit cards.

It's a real pity, it worked great in my custom test battles.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

shalcar posted:

Well, the unit classes mod all works fine in everything except the recruitment screen, which can only handle 10 groupings of which the base game has 8. I was hoping that the UI handler was written in such a way that it would naturally expand of have a scroll bar, but it isn't which means that I'll need to wait for the modding toolkit to be released by CA before I can make the changes to the unit cards.

It's a real pity, it worked great in my custom test battles.

Speaking of which, I just noticed the battle setting that shows "strength" on unit flags. Instead of showing levy/retinue/elite it shows the actual unit experience rank, which seems like significantly less useful information to have.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Is there anyway to make a vassal or give away territory to one? I wasnt aware there was a 10 governor limit until it was too late and it was down to me and my enemy in ireland. Im done with that playthrough but im curious if there was anything i could have done. It seemed arbitrary whether i would get the option to liberate anyways though so it seems like they need to make some sort of system to trade territory diplomatically unless im missing something. You need vassals eventually but there is no way to create or modify them.

E: theres an unlimited governers mod so i guess that answers that lol.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the arena building only effect units in it's province?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So do the Gaels also get mounted lords or is it only the Welsh who have them?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It would be interesting if it was possible to give all settlements levy garrisons, but make it so that recruiting levy units to the army causes levy garrisons to take attrition, while settlements being sacked/raided reduces army replenishment.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

quote:

A few words from our Game Director, Jack Lusted, on what’s next for A Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

Hello,

Thrones of Britannia released just over a week ago today and we’ve been really pleased to see so many people playing and discussing our first Total War Saga title. And there has been a lot of discussion.

We did expect that Thrones might be divisive. Our design approach was to question Total War’s standard formula and to try some things. This really paid off in some areas, like the changes we made to Recruitment for instance, this seems to have gone down really well with the vast majority of players.

Every change we made in Thrones was considered, debated and agonised over but ultimately, it’s your opinions that count, and we know that the game is currently not pleasing everyone as much as it should. I want to respond to some of the issues being raised and talk about what we have planned for the game going forwards.

The first one is the difficulty of the game. Some of you are finding campaigns too short, food and money too abundant, battles too easy. Thrones isn’t giving you enough of a challenge for you want to keep you playing. This is something we can address quickly since it is in large part down to balancing.

Right now, we’re working hard on a patch that will introduce a lot of balance changes which we hope will improve the difficulty level and serve up more challenge. It will be available as part of an opt-in public beta next Tuesday (15th May).

This is not the complete list but included in the patch will be changes like:

Adjusting victory conditions
Increased food consumption from buildings
Increased building costs
Adjustments to corruption and corruption reduction as well as certain Market income buildings to help reduce the amount of gold in the late game
Reduced certain bonuses from techs that were making battles too one-sided until the AI researches them as well
Balance adjustments to battles based on early concerns from the multiplayer community
Alongside these changes the patch will also add some quality of life improvements to the UI and a number of bug fixes.

We’ll continue to balance this patch once it is in public beta, and of course going forward in any future updates we make after this one.

Another theme that keeps coming up in feedback and reviews is a little less straightforward. It’s the notion that Thrones has cut features or ‘streamlined’ aspects that you’ve enjoyed in previous Total War games.

We have made a lot of changes to how the campaign plays, and our aim in this was to deliver the same depth that our players expect from a Total War game, but with a new and consolidated focus. Reading the feedback in reviews and on social media so far, it seems that what we’ve added and changed is not delivering that depth of experience and absorption for some.

We need to look at the mechanics, especially culture and faction mechanics, and decide what may be possible to change to address this.

It should be said that we won’t be re-introducing all the old systems and options that were available in Attila (many of them were re-configured for good reason) but we will be looking at where we can create more depth and opportunity for mastery, whilst not throwing away all the good stuff that you might otherwise be really enjoying in Thrones.

Once we have a more concrete plan for this I will write a follow up post to let you know what we have in mind. In the meantime, I mentioned before that we are particularly interested in culture and faction mechanics, so please let us know what you think is working and what you think isn’t adding much.

Thank you,

Jack
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-whats-next

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A lot of that stuff sounds like the opposite of what I want but im glad theyre being hands on and keeping it updated

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

A lot of that stuff sounds like the opposite of what I want but im glad theyre being hands on and keeping it updated

That seems like great ways to make certain factions actually face any challenges whilst really screwing over other factions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I’m excited for the new Warham update long-awaited but after that... 3 kingdoms info starts coming, right?

:getin:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think if not then, it's for sure gonna start after E3, which is only around a month away.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So I’m excited for the new Warham update long-awaited but after that... 3 kingdoms info starts coming, right?

:getin:

It's set for Fall 2018. Delays are likely given CA's recent track record, but yeah, we're looking at a release between September-December if they stick to it, so actual info should begin to trickle in a month or two.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ZearothK posted:

It's set for Fall 2018. Delays are likely given CA's recent track record, but yeah, we're looking at a release between September-December if they stick to it, so actual info should begin to trickle in a month or two.

That seems far too soon to be honest. CA really stretched themselves thin here as it is. I'd be thinking more April 2019ish

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean they've been working on it for years and we literally know nothing about it other than the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised at a delay but there's no reason to assume a huge one, especially when they specifically said fall.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nopantsjack posted:

That seems far too soon to be honest. CA really stretched themselves thin here as it is. I'd be thinking more April 2019ish

I'm not sure why you think this and why people keep on insisting this is the case. They have more than 500 employees. Last year they hired 60 people just to work on historical DLC by buying an entire studio. I really don't think that they're having manpower issues.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

I mean they've been working on it for years and we literally know nothing about it other than the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised at a delay but there's no reason to assume a huge one, especially when they specifically said fall.

Isn't it the Warhammer engine? So only 2 maybe 3 years.

I think my problem with CA is I unfairly compare their output with mods that took like 6 years of passion project.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure why you think this and why people keep on insisting this is the case. They have more than 500 employees. Last year they hired 60 people just to work on historical DLC by buying an entire studio. I really don't think that they're having manpower issues.

Yeah but they have huge management issues and none of that has been corrected. So they've got more employee manhours wasted then ever before.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Manpower isn't the only issue, adding more manpower to a studio can create problems as likely as fix it.

I think that only cause A) they haven't made so many games at once before, theyr firing on all cylinders with like... 5 games/dlc projects?
B) WH2 updating done got all hosed up from it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nopantsjack posted:

Manpower isn't the only issue, adding more manpower to a studio can create problems as likely as fix it.

I think that only cause A) they haven't made so many games at once before, theyr firing on all cylinders with like... 5 games/dlc projects?
B) WH2 updating done got all hosed up from it

They absolutely have been working on a large amount of different titles concurrently in the past. Alien: Isolation, Alien's DLC, Attila, Attila's DLC, Warhammer, Rome 2, Rome 2's DLC and Halo Wars were all in or wrapped up development in 2014.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

nopantsjack posted:

Yes, 2 or maybe 3 years is in fact "years." That's an extremely normal amount of development time for a TW title.

You might end up being right for all we know, maybe it will end up getting delayed specifically until April. But it's a pretty baseless assumption considering we have pretty much literally 0 information on the actual state of the game is right now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yes, 2 or maybe 3 years is in fact "years." That's an extremely normal amount of development time for a TW title.

You might end up being right for all we know, maybe it will end up getting delayed specifically until April. But it's a pretty baseless assumption considering we have pretty much literally 0 information on the actual state of the game is right now.

Easy friend we're all brothers and sisters here

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So someone ported over some Rome units to Thrones
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1381232801

But it's missing something, I mean its not historical at all right? There shouldn't be any Roman legions by now. Good thing I fixed this dude's mod.

https://imgur.com/a/TaKpRPg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Real disappointed that wasn’t skaven

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Real disappointed that wasn’t skaven

Sorry dude, if I knew how to put skaven in legionary armor I'd do it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sorry dude, if I knew how to put skaven in legionary armor I'd do it.

That’s what really matters

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nopantsjack posted:

I think my problem with CA is I unfairly compare their output with mods that took like 6 years of passion project.

Where was it stated that it is in the Warhammer iteration of Warscape? I don't remember any concrete info on the game, just what was stated in the FAQ. I was hoping it would be a new iteration of it, given it's a major title and all.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The units get better towards the end of the campaign. They start to feel medievaly, especially with the teardrop shields and mail coifs under Norman helms. You do notice the progression from dark age units to early medieval as you tech up, particularly as the anglo saxons. I can only hope we get some dlc that pushes the timeline forward. Maybe to the English wars of conquest against the Scots and Welsh, or perhaps to the war of the roses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So someone ported over some Rome units to Thrones
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1381232801

But it's missing something, I mean its not historical at all right? There shouldn't be any Roman legions by now. Good thing I fixed this dude's mod.

https://imgur.com/a/TaKpRPg

It's like a group of angry mall santas