Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

whatis posted:

im sorry but i was told in the last thread that the lightning we're going to poo poo and piss all over the caps

They have to eat a loss before they can poo poo it out IDIOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I don't think there's anything that could devastate caps fans anymore in these playoffs other than getting swept by the VGK (and even then, scf baby) so I think the hockey gods are showing mercy

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
In a Just World, Ovis going to rocket a shot off of Luca Sbisas dick into the net for the Cup winner.

Too bad we live in the worst timeline

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jehde posted:

It's pretty easy to understand American disdain for Canadian branded hockey if you look at olympic medal tables. Caring about where an NHL team is located is dumb though, barring the normal homerism I guess. Care about the players, cheer for the team that has the players you like.

Beyond your own team, there's really no reason to not have an interest in every game.

While my Red Wings didn't make the playoffs, the Lightning have my all-time favorite player running the team, and I've got friends on the Jets.

There's always someone to root for, even if it's just "most fun team left".

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

AsInHowe posted:

Beyond your own team, there's really no reason to not have an interest in every game.

I'm always sad at how low the ratings are in some finals compared to others, in the sense that so many, presumably, fans of hockey clearly don't want to watch unless it's their own team. I couldn't care less who is playing the games for watching purposes though I usually do have preferences for which team to win.

My own fandom is on hold until Melnyk's new liver gets a rejection and he dies. If you find this too insensitive, assume I said until he moves to Ethiopia to farm coffee.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

nature6pk posted:

In a Just World, Ovis going to rocket a shot off of Luca Sbisas dick into the net for the Cup winner.

Too bad we live in the worst timeline

We moved out of the worst timeline months ago and are now in the dumbest timeline.

So that Ovi blast is going to bounce off Orpiks head back down the ice into an empty Caps net.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

whatis posted:

im sorry but i was told in the last thread that the lightning we're going to poo poo and piss all over
there you go

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

heeheex2 posted:

I don't think there's anything that could devastate caps fans anymore in these playoffs other than getting swept by the VGK (and even then, scf baby) so I think the hockey gods are showing mercy

Yeah they're playing with house money now for all but the most optimistic/demanding/kwalimus

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

FBS posted:

fate has got the Caps right where she wants them

This. They've blown multiple 3-1 series leads in the last few years. It's all about building up the hope first. Everyone expected a 2nd round exit, so it had to go up to 11.

AsInHowe posted:

While my Red Wings didn't make the playoffs, the Lightning have my all-time favorite player running the team, and I've got friends on the Jets.

There's always someone to root for, even if it's just "most fun team left".

I go more the 'who do I dislike more' route after the Caps are eliminated. With multiple recent Cups to the Kings, Penguins, and Bruins, it has been a bad time.

But I agree, if you follow the sport you can find a reason to be invested in each game to one degree or another fairly easily.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Glad the Caps arent starting in a hole. But gotta keep it up.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Caps need to keep this really strong checking and defensive play up if they want to have a chance. Tampa never got into their game until midway in the third and then the Caps found their footing again. They got slack for maybe a 5 minute period and gave up two goals fast. That second one was maybe the laziest softest poo poo I've seen Holtby give up in this playoff run tho.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Caps need to keep this really strong checking and defensive play up if they want to have a chance. Tampa never got into their game until midway in the third and then the Caps found their footing again. They got slack for maybe a 5 minute period and gave up two goals fast. That second one was maybe the laziest softest poo poo I've seen Holtby give up in this playoff run tho.

That slacking window happens almost every game, from 5-20 minutes. It's been a problem since before Trotz, and is a big reason they have so many 7 game series and early playoff exits. Game 1 vs. Pittsburgh this year was a prime example. They owned most of that game, but since they weren't able to run up the score, the Penguins won with 3 goals in 5 minutes. I assume it's a mix of psychological factors when they're up a bit and simple exhaustion from playing hard (except when it's at the beginning of the game). It's like the team collectively decides they've got it in the bag and step off the gas.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Saw it posted in the comments elsewhere...would the Penguins have had that too many men on the ice goal waved off versus the Caps?

:tinfoil:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Having too many men on the ice for a breakaway goal is pretty funny.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aphrodite posted:

If Sbisa wins it's only fair you let him punch you in the face, JawKnee.

He had his chance

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm not a Jets fan but I have some ideas.

WINNIPEG JETS #44

As merry as the days were long
I was right and you were wrong
back at the old grey school
I would win and you would lose
:smith:

BIG BUFF MAN

This man said "it's gruesome that someone so handsome should care"
He knows so much about these things
:smith:

There's a really bad joke in here.

edit: Here's another avatar, if you want to take the joke a bit further and keep a Pred in there.

Grow up, be a man, and close your mealy-mouth!

That's Craig Smith and Josh Morrissey.

These are okay, any other Jets fans want to weigh in?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

bizarre deformity posted:

These are okay, any other Jets fans want to weigh in?
May I suggest...

WE'VE COME UNDUN

So much for home ice advantage... :smith:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sorry I didn't put a border on it, but it is the right size

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Probably should use PKs quote about going to Boston and taking it away from the fans

And RINNE RINNE RINNE it's all your fault

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JawKnee posted:

oh yeah I guess you need text too. how about

quote:

But as things are, forgive me Diogenes, that I imitate Herakles, and emulate Perseus, and follow in the footsteps of Dionysos

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Spiting Blues fans is a big reason why Vegas is so high on my list of teams I want to win.

i can see how you'd be embittered what after starting to watch hockey in 2011

after a lot of thought and some serious soul searching i have decided to hate the Washington Capitals for the following reason

1) their superstar player is from some other country and we might have to fight them in a war soon

2) donald trump lives kind of close to there and he might take an interest in their favor

3) washington DC is full of Bad People like Ted Cruz and that one fat guy

4) traffic in the DC metro area has seriously annoyed me on multiple occasions

5) dale hunter once played for them and he was a cock

The Tampa Bay Lightning have several good looking players and i've never been there but its wikipedia entry looks nice so they should win this series

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His toxx was that a Jets fan gets to do it. Bunch of Canucks jerks!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

and I've provided an image for a jets fan to use

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JawKnee posted:

oh yeah I guess you need text too. how about

Okay but what's the username?

Because I would do this avatar with the username BIG BUFF MAN from earlier

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Go Jets

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

bizarre deformity posted:

Okay but what's the username?

Because I would do this avatar with the username BIG BUFF MAN from earlier

You should definitely go with this username and the pic of Buff. I just wanted to pair a picture of Josh Morrissey with Morrissey lyrics.

Text should probably be something about being dragged to or thrown out of the second round.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

JawKnee posted:

"Wha did I tell you boys about playing that stick puck in the house?"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GO JETS GO

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Stretch Marx posted:

"Wha did I tell you boys about playing that stick puck in the house?"

Good but change it to 'my house'

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Good but change it to 'my house'

"Aww Buff we weren't doing anything..."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh god what have I done to myself

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

You'll get used to it. I almost changed my name back but I am Ginette Reno now and god bles

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

:perfect:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

it is a thing of beauty

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I already forgot who you were big buff man

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Veskit posted:

I already forgot who you were big buff man

Its sba right?

I honestly cant remember. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think he's a Buffalo fan?

So it all works out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the username fluidity is one of the oddest things about this place tbh

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It's Blackbelt Bobman, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FBS posted:

the username fluidity is one of the oddest things about this place tbh
Most places have a lot more of it