Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Does your dad own a car dealership, medical practice, or both? Is your first name Brayden, Kayden, Aiden, Grayden, or anything else that rhymes with that? Does your mom have a bob cut and ask to speak to the manager? Do you enjoy wearing shorts and polos from Vineyard Vines, with Speery Top Sider shoes?

:siren: WELL CONGRATULATIONS MOTHER FUCKER WELCOME TO THE 2018 NCAA LACROSSE TOURNAMENT MEGATHREAD THAT ONLY LIKE ME AND TOP HATS MONTHLY WILL POST IN WOOOOO :siren:

BRACKET!

Tune in with your sister Bryttaniyie on Wednesday night to watch Canisius and Bobby Mo' play for the right to get murdered by defending champion Maryland in the play-in game!

Load up your lifted F-150 that has never driven on an unpaved road and blast some Florida Georgia Line on your way to Annapolis or Hempstead, NY for the semifinal games! Maybe you'll crush some mad pussy along the way!

Terrified of minorities and want to enjoy memorial day weekend surrounded by lovely accents and worse people? Great news! The semis and finals are in Boston!

MAKE YOUR lovely PICKS HERE AND POST ABOUT LACROSSE OR SOMETHING, I DUNNO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The games start today!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
gonna have my sister machkynszeie post here tomorrow instead when the terps roll some college from *checks glasses* western pa? are they going to allow them to use heroin during the game?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I dropped my croakies at the last Duke match did anybody find them? I should have left them by my assorted bowties

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I dropped my croakies at the last Duke match did anybody find them? I should have left them by my assorted bowties

Yeah Kaydynne saw them over by her Land Rover before she left for Banana Republic

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yale and Umass in a drat track meet, 15-12 yale in the last few minutes

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I was hoping this would fall to page 5 and die without a reply.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

rude, imo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bobby Mo with a shocking 6-3 lead early on against Maryland

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao so much for that

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

runoverbobby posted:

DJExile will always keep these threads alive and I will always intend to watch the games but forget

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i have no problem posting to myself :justpost:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Denver and goddamn legend coach Bill Tierney shut down Notre Dame in the first upset of the first round, Georgetown is all over higher ranked Johns Hopkins in the 3rd

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hopkins storms back and forces OT!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Upsets! Get 'cher upsets!

Cornell upsets #8 Syracuse 10-9! Denver upsets #7 Notre Dame 9-7!

Elsewhere, Yale survives a scare from UMass, 15-13. Loyola-MD beats Virginia 14-12, Albany destroys Richmond 18-9, Maryland comes back in the second half and holds off pl.ay-in seed Robert Morris 14-11, Hopkins storms back after a 6-3 halftime deficit to beat Georgetown 10-9 in overtime, and Duke cruises by Villanova 17-11.

Hopkins OT goal scored by all-name team member Shack Stanwick.

Quarterfinal games as follows:

May 19 at James Shuart Stadium at Hofstra University
Denver vs. #2 Albany on ESPN2 - Time TBA
#3 Yale vs. #6 Loyola-MD on ESPNU - Time TBA

May 20 at Navy/Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
#1 Maryland vs. Cornell - ESPNU, time TBA
#4 Duke vs. #5 Johns Hopkins ESPNU, time TBA

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
My picks:

Denver upsets #2 Albany on three fully sick goals by Blayde Alexander
Yale wins thanks to some fancy face-offs from Skyler Van Raaphorst
Duke's long stick midfielders penetrate the vulnerable Hopkins defenses
Tanner Zayne gets into Cornell despite being functionally illiterate

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's the spirit!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Friendly reminder that the names of his siblings are as follows:

Covie
Wells
Sheehan
Tad
Wick
Coco
Steele

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How did a traditional sport of Native Americans become dominated by the upper classes? Also is lacrosse more new money people or old money people?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How did a traditional sport of Native Americans become dominated by the upper classes? Also is lacrosse more new money people or old money people?

-it took up roots in what came to be relatively affluent areas of the mid-atlantic and new england (upstate ny, maryland suburbs)
-up until maybe the mid 90s or so it was mostly old money, but as the sport grew in popularity new money became involved and dominates (hence the men's all name list being dominated by goofy white names instead of jrs / iiirds) growing up dirt poor and playing for a poor team we would have a lot of no checking games because parents thought we were literal savages. it owned

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

That's Shackleford Stanwick to you.

Shrapnig posted:

Friendly reminder that the names of his siblings are as follows:

Covie
Wells
Sheehan
Tad
Wick
Coco
Steele

I thought you had missed out Shackleford, then I realized Shack was short for Shackleford. Easy mistake to make I suppose.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm not sure I have the energy to make this post as someone who has been involved with high level lacrosse their entire life while not actually playing at a high level.

My dad played college in the 70s, and afterward he played club lacrosse with some of the best players of all time who I'm lucky to be able to call by name. There aren't a lot of sports where you can shout to a world player of the year from across the bar and he'll greet you by name but that has been my relationship with lacrosse in my life.

My uncle is one of the most respected high school coaches of all time, he was a college coach for a period and won two national championships as an assistant.

My family isn't from an affluent area, far from it but they came from an area that tried to establish lacrosse as a serious sport in the 60s and that's where we are.

You have to remember that lacrosse has been a collegiate sport for 100 years, of course it's a traditionally Native American sport and no one involved in lacrosse forgets that, I can guarantee you that. I'm cheering for Albany to win the National Championship this year, and most years because the Rez kids are some of the most purely talented and exciting to watch players I've ever seen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not sure I have the energy to make this post as someone who has been involved with high level lacrosse their entire life while not actually playing at a high level.

My dad played college in the 70s, and afterward he played club lacrosse with some of the best players of all time who I'm lucky to be able to call by name. There aren't a lot of sports where you can shout to a world player of the year from across the bar and he'll greet you by name but that has been my relationship with lacrosse in my life.

My uncle is one of the most respected high school coaches of all time, he was a college coach for a period and won two national championships as an assistant.

My family isn't from an affluent area, far from it but they came from an area that tried to establish lacrosse as a serious sport in the 60s and that's where we are.

You have to remember that lacrosse has been a collegiate sport for 100 years, of course it's a traditionally Native American sport and no one involved in lacrosse forgets that, I can guarantee you that. I'm cheering for Albany to win the National Championship this year, and most years because the Rez kids are some of the most purely talented and exciting to watch players I've ever seen.

Ok thanks for that thought out answer.

My next question, was Dallas Creamer named after the way he was conceived?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ok thanks for that thought out answer.

My next question, was Dallas Creamer named after the way he was conceived?

Why do you care about a gormless ginger D3 player with 2 points this season?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Why do you care about a gormless ginger D3 player with 2 points this season?

You're right, I should really be asking about Wheaton Jackoboice.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You're right, I should really be asking about Wheaton Jackoboice.

Average 2nd/3rd line midfielder, 7 assists as a Freshman with limited field time. Seems like a potential prospect for the future.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dick "Big Man" Edell

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig and hallebarrysoetoro covered about everything. Large parts of the game were played around the east coast and New England, but it did also have a pretty big college following for a long time. There's sadly very little footage of Jim Brown playing lacrosse, because he was otherworldly at it. The rule about not trapping the open end of your stick against your chest? That was because of Jim. Guy would just pin it there and plow through defenders, because who the hell was going to stop Jim goddamn Brown in his college prime?

Shrap's right about how it really took off at the college level through the 60s and 70s. My dad played for Bowling Green when it was still a varsity sport in the early 70s, and there was a pretty fun league between them, Denison, Ohio State, and Ohio Wesleyan. I think Miami may have had a team as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bubba Fairman got his name because he was 13 pounds when he was born - ESPN commentator.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Albany outlasts Denver in a track meet, and Yale beats Loyola-MD for their first national semifinal visit since 1990. They'll play each other in the semifinals.

Maryland/Cornell and Hopkins/Duke are tomorrow at Noon and 2:30PM, respectively. Maryland and Hopkins should have huge fan support

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

related to that: if you don't like noted Large Adult Son Tehoka Nanticoke, who if memory serves got special permission to wear his box helmet (box lax being more popular on the Rez than field) because his head is quite literally too big for a Cascade, then you really need to have your head examined.

all aboard the Dane Train, y'all. best part is that this is their goal music, which has instantly got a lot of hockey fans onside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCwBAhz4oc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maryland cruises by Cornell 13-8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yale stunning Albany 11-6 before halftime. Holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yale obliterates Albany and Duke is poised to upset Maryland

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Sad I missed the games today. Sucks Albany lost, I liked watching their play style.

Re: Jim brown, min stick length was also imposed because of his style of play. (I’m sure dude posting here know that, but wanted to have it for goons perusing the yearly sad thread about the best sport)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo I didn't know that, awesome :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duke vs. Yale for the championship tomorrow at 1PM on ESPN2, likely in front of a crowd of dozens!

Foxboro is a super lovely location for these semis and finals!

Tune in, fuckers!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm probably the only person watching! :toot:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The referees look like pot bellied dorks in their black shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Touchdown Yale

• Locked thread