Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: if you think SyFy has the creativity to actually produce Sharknado. :laugh:

I'm guessing syndicated shovel-crap and Friday Night Wrestling is coming back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
One thing I am concerned about them finding a new distributor are the potential influences they'll have on the show. It seemed like the show got away with more than what most other ones can, especially one with the sort of budget the Expanse has.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Fun Fact: Netflix paid so much for International Star Trek Discovery that they fully funded the first season.

Edit: And that show sucked. Surely they would pay a lot for a good show.

Do you actually think good and bad are objective quantities to the extent that a company like Netflix can go "oh well if this show which is only 0.4 goodnesses was a success imagine how great this show will be with its 4.9 goodnesses. I'll buy that at a high price!"?

What happens if someone who doesn't like "the expanse" walks into the room when they're doing their goodness extraction process? Does he contaminate the sample? Does netflix explode?

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

double nine posted:

The lack of streaming income probably didn't help, and I assume the audience is pretty prone to torrenting or streaming.

Yeah, the audience that watches live tv is very different than the normal audience for this show I imagine. And I believe they only got the ad money from the live broadcast, nothing after the fact.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MizPiz posted:

One thing I am concerned about them finding a new distributor are the potential influences they'll have on the show. It seemed like the show got away with more than what most other ones can, especially one with the sort of budget the Expanse has.

unless a major non-cable TV network picks them up - which seems unlikely - I can't imagine them ending up with more restrictions than syfy gave them

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, I wish we could just go to a model where I can pay a buck or two per episode and call it good. No ads, no bullshit. I would actually do this without hesitation. I know you can do similar in iTunes and Amazon, but if that's more than a single digit percentage of revenues, I'd be shocked. Reliance on advertising is a lovely model and being beholden to weird things apart from I LIKE THIS SHOW AND WILL MAKE EFFORT TO WATCH IT is really bad :\

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Svaha posted:

It's steadily improved since the first season. Especially the characters. That said, It might not be the immediate gratification show you are looking for. You have to pay attention because there is a lot that is set up early on that pays off later. That's not for everyone.

I don't know about needing "instant gratification". I think nothing of interest happening in seven and a half hours of TV is a bit much. With how much everyone's raving about how good this show is right now, it is tempting to re-watch it, but then I'd have to re-watch the entire first season too since I cannot remember a drat thing about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you think nothing interesting happened in the first season I'd just move on. By episode four it hit stride and has been accelerating ever since.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
On a show plot note instead of the doom and gloom this is awful cancellation note, I liked that Nguyen's past with Mars got fleshed out there, so you can read between the lines a bit on his character and infer that he's not just doing this because he's in Errinwright's corner, but also (and perhaps primarily) because he had to watch a bunch of U.N. ships get their asses handed to them first-hand by Mars and see a bunch of his friends die, so now he's just real on board with any plan that ends with Mars completely killed off.

That was a weird mutiny scene, but weird in a believable way with lots of people just freezing up and stuff kind of happening in short bursts. A nice change of pace from where it's usually one intense quick firefight and then one side left standing after all the bullets are done flying.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MizPiz posted:

Compared to a lot of shows the Expanse isn't that expensive to make. It looks expensive, but compared to even something like American Gods is relatively cheap.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Compared to a lot of shows the Expanse isn't that expensive to make. It looks expensive, but compared to even something like American Gods is relatively cheap.

I'm not gonna disagree with you, but a Fuller show maaaay not be the best example to compare it to...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The show is dead

Read the books

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's also some initial costs that are gone now, like they already have the Rocinante built. There's another big set I can think of that would get reused a lot that should be already there this season. I guess sets may not be as expensive as I imagine them to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They could always do a "two glass window panes and a rape cell" ship set like the Pegasus in BSG.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Unfortunately one of the props guys is posting that they're starting to dismantle the sets come Monday and selling stuff off. Looks like it's done.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

Unfortunately one of the props guys is posting that they're starting to dismantle the sets come Monday and selling stuff off. Looks like it's done.

Where was this posted?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We're in a golden age of long form television and yet it is still the old school broadcast practices that can kill anything g with potential

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

TTerrible posted:

Where was this posted?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154567691728757/permalink/384700638715460/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
drat, multiple crew members posting on that thread. They've got a timetable for set destruction and prop removal.

Shopping around is apparently over with. No buyers. :rip:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

kazmeyer posted:

That seems like an absurdly accelerated timetable.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Lots of people asking that question on the facebook thread. Crew keep replying that the shopping around period is over and done with already. I guess they got really hard nos.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

It isn't a long list of potential buyers; if you get a hard "no" from each of them then the search is done.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gently caress

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It feels like screwing SyFy with first run broadcast only came back to bite them really hard.

That FB thread is worth reading.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't Star Trek Discovery already trying to poach set designers last year?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah, one of the comments mentions stuff being sold to the Discovery production. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

welp, time to order some books, I guess.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Yeah, one of the comments mentions stuff being sold to the Discovery production. :v:

No. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

im really mad and selling stuff to star trek discovery is like rubbing space salt in my spacewounds

:argh:

i guess we can only hope that Amazon or Netflix saves it at the last second or buys it even later than that and decides to rebuild the sets. Sounds like we're hosed :rip:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm assuming Netflix and Amazon were the first calls they made.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah they wouldn't be planning to tear down sets if Amazon or Netflix were still thinking about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

There's also some initial costs that are gone now, like they already have the Rocinante built. There's another big set I can think of that would get reused a lot that should be already there this season. I guess sets may not be as expensive as I imagine them to be.

Rebuilding sets is hard, especially on a show with as much continuity as Expanse. I think there is a way to get around that with a time jump that would probably be possible at the end of this season, but the sets being struck is pretty much the end.

The only reason I have any (unrealistic) hope is that they are striking the sets 4 days after hearing about it and that is nutso! Dark Matter was a much longer-shot for a pick up and those sets stayed up almost a month!
:smith:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What attracted me to the show was that its basically good people doing the best they can figure in a really complex situation with no right answer. Nobody's slighted over getting or not getting a crown. Nobody decides to kill folk and deal meth because they got upset about an argument 25 years ago. There's no Diet Anton Chigurrh with bullshit plot armor magic powers to create a sense of threat. There's no creepy slimy psychic wizard hurting folks because something-something-Homo-Superior. It's just a bunch of people trying to make it through the working week, and the drama that comes from that.

And now its over because syfy is a glorified money laundering operation and amazon and netflix can't stop pissing on each others' leg.

godDAMMIT

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TTerrible posted:

It feels like screwing SyFy with first run broadcast only came back to bite them really hard.

That FB thread is worth reading.

They didn’t screw anyone. SyFy makes the lion’s share of their money from Cable and the OnDemand stuff cable companies offer. They had no interest in streaming rights like the kind Netflix and Amazon buy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well that's really frustrating. I wish I could unlearn this at least till the end of the season because it will certainly add a bitter flavor to it

edit: goddamit I still can't believe it. It was such an excellent show I never even considered the possibility of it getting canned until it was

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 12, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^ same

Holden's like "Hey, Naomi, thanks for talking me down from my crazy bullshit. I really value having someone around to tell me things I don't want to hear because that's when I need to hear it"

and immediately when I saw that, a constellation of things I had trouble articulating how much I hated about Mad Men snapped into focus.

loving syfy, man...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

They didn’t screw anyone. SyFy makes the lion’s share of their money from Cable and the OnDemand stuff cable companies offer. They had no interest in streaming rights like the kind Netflix and Amazon buy.

I guess. :shrug:

I really, really did not expect Expanse to get canned. I was expecting to at least get another season out of it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

They should do heavily abridged re-cat style videos to finish out the show up to the current book.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

withak posted:

Yeah they wouldn't be planning to tear down sets if Amazon or Netflix were still thinking about it.

yeah i know, it sounds like our only hope is if some executive has a last second change of heart :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tighclops posted:

No. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

That's worse than hauling it to the dump