Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.

Leave your mom out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
In Pennsylvania it's possible to drive from Blue Ball, through Intercourse, and end in Paradise within an hour or so.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AlexDeGruven posted:

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

I was hoping someone had a picture of this.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There is a Big Bone Lick state park in Kentucky.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i should move to Kentucky

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Collateral Damage posted:

Coincidentally, it's only a few hours away from the German towns of Kissing and Petting too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXe2WTYngQ

I used to have a customer in Auburn Hills and would always giggle when I passed that exit. It being exit 69 is just the icing on the childish cake.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Now I have Gig down and a BLAZING 30mbps upload speed :smug:

Oh?

Oh.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

RFC2324 posted:

i should move to Kentucky

You can get off at exit 69 for Big Beaver Rd to get to Big Bone Lick State Park and I知 not joking at all.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Meanwhile I知 over here feeling smug because I got AT&T to upgrade me from 12 to 25 down for free.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

You can get off at exit 69

Yeah I can

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
What the gently caress thread did I wander in to?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bunni-kat posted:

What the gently caress thread did I wander in to?

Noiiiiccceeeee

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

How is Wenona, anyway?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bigass Moth posted:

You can get off at exit 69 for Big Beaver Rd to get to Big Bone Lick State Park and I知 not joking at all.

Exit 69 for Big Beaver Road is in Michigan, off I-75 in the northern part of the Detroit metro area.

Big Bone Lick State Park is in Kentucky, however it is off of the similarly named Beaver Road, which if you follow it east from the park will take you to the town of Beaverlick. Coincidentally if you follow Beaver Road further it ends right next to an offramp from I-75, but it's exit 171.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

wolrah posted:

Exit 69 for Big Beaver Road is in Michigan, off I-75 in the northern part of the Detroit metro area.

Big Bone Lick State Park is in Kentucky, however it is off of the similarly named Beaver Road, which if you follow it east from the park will take you to the town of Beaverlick. Coincidentally if you follow Beaver Road further it ends right next to an offramp from I-75, but it's exit 171.

Who bought maps.google.com a forums account??

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Weatherman posted:

Who bought maps.google.com a forums account??

You've seen those recent Google Assistant demos right? It bought it's own account. :tinfoil: Now instead of searching forums for answers to queries, it'll just make an account and post directly.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

PirateDentist posted:

You've seen those recent Google Assistant demos right? It bought it's own account. :tinfoil: Now instead of searching forums for answers to queries, it'll just make an account and post directly.

That's going to be it's downfall.

"Google, can you schedule me a haircut on -"

"NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Google AI goon immediately starts posting incel manifestos and is permabanned

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sormus posted:

Those do sound like places Finnish settlers would name places.

- written from "Whistling oval office swamp", Finland
"Moorhead" is an Irish surname. The pronunciation of the first half is similar to the Irish word for "big" too, which is always fun for Moorheads aged 6-12.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

wolrah posted:

While I believe you and am in great Shame of my mistake, I am positive I致e seen an exit 69 for Big Bone Lick Park somewhere in Kentucky, maybe off the main road. I remember because I about died laughing because I am 13.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Every day, twice a day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Every day, twice a day.

I salute your stamina.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.

And that's utter crap on their part.

It does set "the norm" however, and most fiber companies offer around 500/500 to 600/600 Mbit at ~$75/month (or 300/300 Mbit at ~$55). There's really only one company that offers true 1Gbit to consumers, and their coverage isn't all that great.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, speaking of Denmark, we have a town named Middelfart.

Don't forget Assens.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Every day, twice a day.

Same. I live 2 miles from that offramp. Several years back, there was a controversy in Troy (where this exit is) about a Hooters opening up, and some city councilman was on a tear about the city's dignity or some such thing. Everyone, knowing Big Beaver Road existed, failed to take him seriously.

Can't say I'm sad to see the restaurant as an empty shell now at Big Beaver and Rochester.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

AlexDeGruven posted:

Every day, twice a day.

I知 currently driving by there between 7:30 and 8am and it is so terrible. Being hourly has its perks but not being able to shift my start time is the worst.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Data Graham posted:

Google AI goon immediately starts posting incel manifestos and is permabanned
I picture the AI being respectful and considerate enough that it wouldn't turn into an incel.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I知 currently driving by there between 7:30 and 8am and it is so terrible. Being hourly has its perks but not being able to shift my start time is the worst.

JFC, talk about the absolute worst time. I'm already past there by 6:30 typically, and I don't usually hit any snags until I get south of 14-mile.

Thread related: I've managed to delegate a lot of my day-to-day annoying on-demand bullshit to the FNG and actually exercise my job title. It's interesting being a senior systems engineer instead of a sysadmin. I kind of like it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Being able to set your own start time is great.

I stupidly scheduled a dentist appointment at 8 AM. I normally start at 10. But I managed to get into the office at 9AM. Got to leave an hour earlier than I usually do.
Company doesn't really care as long as you put in the 40 hours p/w.

If only they didn't have backwards view on work from home....

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sefal posted:

If only they didn't have backwards view on work from home....

Same here, though I did get to work from home last wednesday so I could go to my job interview in the morning, ended up getting home at 1pm and working until 1030, the funny thing is I got kuddos from my new manager for killing it last week lol.

Hopefully will hear back today or tomorrow and it will be :yotj: with a 35% pay increase. I've also got another interview lined up Friday for a senior admin postion that will become the IT manager after a year (current IT manager is hiring and plans on leaving then and is grooming for his spot), which sounds better overall to me as it's more of a technical management position. I want out of MSP hell plxkthx

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

it's more of a technical management position.

Still be prepared for an inordinate amount of paperwork and regulatory bullshit. Coming from an MSP it might be a cool change of pace to look at the business side of things, but it will get old. Maybe not in the first year, possibly (but not likely) in the second year, but it will wear you down eventually and you'll want back out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Still be prepared for an inordinate amount of paperwork and regulatory bullshit. Coming from an MSP it might be a cool change of pace to look at the business side of things, but it will get old. Maybe not in the first year, possibly (but not likely) in the second year, but it will wear you down eventually and you'll want back out.

Yeah, the manager gave me a heads up that I'll be doing budget and all that sort of poo poo. I've done that before to an extent, albeit not for an IT oriented position, but I ran our families concrete business with my brother for a few years.

It really sounds like a good stepping stone to get where I want to go, gunning for architect and/or director level at some point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MF_James posted:

Hopefully will hear back today or tomorrow and it will be :yotj: with a 35% pay increase.

Welp heard back from my recruiter for this job, they want someone more senior and are specifically looking for a thing that I lack, they should probably write a better job description and also slap senior in front of the title if that's what they want, but owell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Goondolences. Weird that they took your resume and hosed around before deciding that they needed something that you never claimed to have.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
For whatever it's worth, I always punch above my weight in applications. That thing I cannot presently do? Don't worry about it, I'll have it sorted and know it inside and out soon enough. Sure it means I probably get a lot more rejections, but I feel like it will eventually land me something pretty solid.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Goondolences. Weird that they took your resume and hosed around before deciding that they needed something that you never claimed to have.

Thanks, yeah I'm the 5th person they've rejected for the position, 2nd from the same recruiter and they've rejected 3 from my recruiters competition. They just want something they're not saying in the description and they really want someone that's actually a senior but they won't put senior in the title, because they already have a senior.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For whatever it's worth, I always punch above my weight in applications. That thing I cannot presently do? Don't worry about it, I'll have it sorted and know it inside and out soon enough. Sure it means I probably get a lot more rejections, but I feel like it will eventually land me something pretty solid.

Oh I do that, they asked me stuff in the interview and I told them I would do X, Y and Z to figure it out. I'm obviously over selling myself a bit on my resume in general as well. I'm not trying to make a lateral move into the same position at another company.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 15, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

Oh I do that, they asked me stuff in the interview and I told them I would do X, Y and Z to figure it out. I'm obviously over selling myself a bit on my resume in general as well. I'm not trying to make a lateral move into the same position at another company.

You'd be amazed how many candidates can't figure out the answers to questions they don't know. Hiring my replacement, we asked "what would you do if you had a project to install a firewall and a switch at a new site?"

I talked to my boss beforehand that I was looking for a whole array of possible answers from "I'd check documentation on similar sites and use that as a template" to "I've never worked on that, I would find a qualified vendor to complete the project".

Only 3 out of 11 candidates answered anything remotely acceptable. One guy said he would read the loving ASA manual. Ok bud good luck!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You'd be amazed how many candidates can't figure out the answers to questions they don't know. Hiring my replacement, we asked "what would you do if you had a project to install a firewall and a switch at a new site?"

I talked to my boss beforehand that I was looking for a whole array of possible answers from "I'd check documentation on similar sites and use that as a template" to "I've never worked on that, I would find a qualified vendor to complete the project".

Only 3 out of 11 candidates answered anything remotely acceptable. One guy said he would read the loving ASA manual. Ok bud good luck!

Sometimes the manual is really loving useful??? :iiam:

I have learned plenty about an appliance just from reading the material.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I've never read the ASA manual, in my experience, most device manuals focus on operating specifics, not design and architecture guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yes, reading about a thing and learning how it works is always useful.

But thinking you're going to set up a firewall including site-to-site VPN and NAT by reading a manual is absolutely foolish. It's edge security, and if you don't know what you're doing you should be loving around with it. Leave it to professionals who have experience.