Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KingSlime posted:

On the other hand are there any nice improvements from 4 to XX, or even anything that is actually worse coming from 4?
I actually think 4 is the better game. For one I don't think the hunter styles or arts actually improve the game that much, it's just kinda change for the sake of change. At worst though you can just ignore it, if you don't like styles you can just choose the one that plays like og monhun. It's like monhun rainbow edition though, weird romhack almost.

Structurally though they made the game a huge headache in the name of fanservice. You're constantly bouncing between the villages from previous games to check in with old NPCs that either have requests or are just stopping in to say hi. MH4 did the multiple village thing too but it was mostly a linear progression. In gen there is something to do in each village after every quest.

MHXX has hella monsters though so it beats 4 on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

nopantsjack posted:

I've only played MHW, how does it compare to the old MHs?

I see a lot of people saying it'll be hard to go back but Switch MH is tempting. Can anybody whos played those games gimme a rundown?

-weapon styles
-Loading screens between numbered zones (this is a double edged sword, if a mo ster is pressing you you can just go into a neighboring zone, sharpen and heal and they generally wont follow you immediately)
-whetstones are finite (but incredibly common)
-so are bug nets and pickaxes
-instead of a slinger you just throw bombs at the monster, dung balls, flashbang, etc
-no scoutflies, you run around until you find the monster then throw a paintball at him to get him to show up on your map
-armor and set bonuses work differently
-a shitload more monsters, quests, weapons, armor, etc
-no investigations, you go into the everwood where the layout and monsters are randomized
-when you drink a potion or use a consumable you stand in place until it applies. Health potions apply all your health at once but you have to stand there and go through an animation until it does.

Theres a lot more but I'm forgetting some. Handheld monster hunter in a nutshell is less convenient but theres a lot more stuff in it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I don't know how long the wait for MHW Ultimate is going to be, but unless the PC port is terrible it's going to be a day 1 buy without question, even having put 100+ hours in to MHW on the PS4 within a month of launch.

I want to get XX but all of the QoL losses just make it sound so, so bad. :(

Macaluso posted:

Why are nerds like this

Everyone is dragging him for it of course but this is a pretty common thing with nerds and it's like why. Why are you like this

Some people are just broken and refuse to accept or try to fix it, screaming they're being victimized when people tell them they're being horrible and it's everyone else's fault.
See also: The entirety of the incel community.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to get XX but all of the QoL losses just make it sound so, so bad. :(

It's different sure but theres so much MORE poo poo in the handheld monster hunters it's more than worth it, trust me. MH4U by itself had like 3 times the monsters and armor sets that World ever will

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Everybody download the BBTag trial this weekend, youll probably like it, maybe

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

You'll never get proper GameCube emulation on the switch because of one thing: analog triggers. A few games (notably Mario Sunshine) used them, and would require an HD Remake a la Wind Waker to be played properly.

I realized this about a year ago and was bummed. Then I realized Wiis are cheap as dirt and easy to hack, and was not bummed.

True, but... the Wii's virtual console largely relied on using a wii classic controller accessory. Snes and N64 games couldn't play off a simple wiimote. There's no reason they couldn't make a new joycon set with analog triggers specifically to support a gamecube package or line of ports. Maybe throw in a microphone too, for the ds/3ds/wii u games that relied on having something to blow into.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Most of the games didn't need granularity beyond "partially pressed to some extent" and "all the way down", so I think that in a lot of cases you could get away with using the left bumper as a modifier button that does a 50% press.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nep-Nep posted:

Seriously. I also think a lot of people who have been playing games for a long time often write games off as easy because of the fact that they have lots of accumulated experience playing other games that are similar, and some of these people take that for granted.

Playing video games for the first time is always gonna be a bit awkward I would think, regardless of how comfortable a controller is it's tricky to get used to. Hell I remember when I first tried playstation games dying lots in ways I wouldn't normally because the buttons using symbols instead of letters was alien to me.

Highlight for me was when I was like 3-4 and beating the first few worlds of Mario 3 which was one of my first video games. I had a really hard time and was struggling over at my babysitters but managed it.

Then I remember them telling me I was holding the controller upside down :v:.

As a pro I'm really not effected by "haha your controls are reversed gamer!" sections of platformers at all these days.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Most of the games didn't need granularity beyond "partially pressed to some extent" and "all the way down", so I think that in a lot of cases you could get away with using the left bumper as a modifier button that does a 50% press.

You can't say only half a press!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

homeless snail posted:

I actually think 4 is the better game. For one I don't think the hunter styles or arts actually improve the game that much, it's just kinda change for the sake of change. At worst though you can just ignore it, if you don't like styles you can just choose the one that plays like og monhun. It's like monhun rainbow edition though, weird romhack almost.

Structurally though they made the game a huge headache in the name of fanservice. You're constantly bouncing between the villages from previous games to check in with old NPCs that either have requests or are just stopping in to say hi. MH4 did the multiple village thing too but it was mostly a linear progression. In gen there is something to do in each village after every quest.

MHXX has hella monsters though so it beats 4 on that front.

4's singleplayer content is legitimately entertaining, has amusing localization, and its presentation stomps Generations flat. When I first started out on Generations, I was struck immediately by how low effort everything outside of the gameplay itself felt. Which by itself isn't THAT big a deal, but when the gameplay in 4 still felt pretty damned solid, coupled with some really slick monster intros, Generations just felt like a boring sidegrade. I wasn't really disappointed to not be getting Ultimate on the 3DS, and I'm strongly disinclined to go back to the older games after playing World.

The biggest issues for me will be losing the character mobility from World, losing the environmental interactions, the loss of MONSTER TURF WARS, and the seriously improved mounting system from World, and the now-unbearable gathering from the old games. Seriously, I dread going back to starting fresh in an older Monster Hunter, since World does a LOT to get you going supplies-wise much sooner. And lets not forget being able to switch weapons in the middle of a quest, go back to camp to resupply/eat for longer exepditions, a fast travel system between camps on utterly massive maps, or grapple hooking onto things to swing over obstacles and continue pursuing monsters.

Generations had fine gameplay, but I simply did not give a drat about playing as a palico, and the styles did nothing for me. After playing world, styles feel even less important to me because every weapon in World naturally has some pretty slick options/moves available without having to select a style before your hunt, and being stuck in it (and with a weapon that might be ill-suited for your target). Admittedly, I didn't play enough Generations to see everything the 'super moves' system had to offer, but since everything else about the game was doing nothing for me I didn't feel compelled to dig deeper into that aspect.

Yeah, Generations Ultimate is going to have more monsters than World currently does, but I don't care to deal with all the baggage that comes with the older games anymore. Right now, anyway. Who knows? Maybe in a few months I'll be so tired of World I'll be open to picking up GenUltimate for masochistic reasons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xedo posted:

True, but... the Wii's virtual console largely relied on using a wii classic controller accessory. Snes and N64 games couldn't play off a simple wiimote. There's no reason they couldn't make a new joycon set with analog triggers specifically to support a gamecube package or line of ports. Maybe throw in a microphone too, for the ds/3ds/wii u games that relied on having something to blow into.

Unless Nintendo allows for using Wii attachments on the Switch, The Wii/WiiU will be the best for Nintendo emulation. You can attach an official NES/SNES controller to your wiimote and play those old games. If they release an N64 classic with original controllers, that will pretty much be it. A Wii will be able to natively play pretty much every Nintendo console that came before it. Assuming the N64 controller works on the Wii. The NES and SNES ones work natively, but the N64 has two extra buttons to deal with.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Strawberry Panda posted:

The 3DS ones also require two joysticks and the 3DS only has one... So they use the bottom screen as a second joystick D-pad thingy that is awful.

That, or the circle pad pro.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You're confusing something that would technically work with something that would work well enough to sell as a product. That sounds janky as all hell.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Can I play Generations exclusively co op? That is the most important to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been at the mechanics for the past 5 and a half hours, real glad I brought my Switch along. The Fall part 1 got dropped on the eshop this week and I grabbed it since it was cheap and I never finished it back when I first played it years ago. Really good atmosphere and I love me some adventure games, highly recommended if you like the genre.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What's wrong with your car?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

He could just have a lovely mechanic.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I could finish Wonder Boy 3 when I was 5 so this kid needs to step his game up imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Also reminder (As this was at the bottom of last page)

Is it playable if you can’t read Japanese?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Moriatti posted:

How easy is it to get to the Felyne part and how hard is it for a completely new player? My ability to rope in my girl depends on these facts.

You can start Prowler mode almost as soon as the game gives you control at the end of the opening cinematic.

Just go east to the Palico Ranch and talk to the lady in the back with the big fluffy llama. She'll help you design and recruit your first cat. Then go to the board in the middle with the pawprint design, pick the top option, and pick Change Mode. You can do this before you go on a single quest.

Tah tah! You never have to be a human again.

The early game does a good job of easing you into things. There's even a tutorial for Prowler. I recommend going through that. From there, you can play the entire game as a cat if you want to. It's not until you get to the super ultra post-game challenge stuff that being a cat becomes that problematic.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it playable if you can’t read Japanese?

It's in English?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

xedo posted:

Yeah, using gyro or other buttons could work, but that would have to be something baked into HD remakes of old GameCube ports, or require controller mapping to allow z-button access and a granularity of trigger pulls, which sounds like a pain. Even having a "half pull" trigger button isn't super easy unless you use analog stick depression or the + - buttons.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Moriatti posted:

Can I play Generations exclusively co op? That is the most important to me.

It's technically possible to only play multiplayer. However, the single player quests unlock a shitload of stuff. Hunter Arts, shop upgrades, some meal ingredients, some Deviant quests and some armor tickets can only be unlocked via Village quests.

That said, if you progress together via multiplayer, eventually you'll have High Rank gear that would allow anyone to crush the early village stuff with ease.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RZA Encryption posted:

Nothing too serious, just had to get a bunch of things done and it always takes a while on Saturdays. Heading home finally.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinitum posted:

It's in English?

Yeah I played it and I see that now. I assumed it would be in Japanese since it came from the JP eshop

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lord Frisk posted:

You'll never get proper GameCube emulation on the switch because of one thing: analog triggers. A few games (notably Mario Sunshine) used them, and would require an HD Remake a la Wind Waker to be played properly.

I realized this about a year ago and was bummed. Then I realized Wiis are cheap as dirt and easy to hack, and was not bummed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added wireless/USB GC controller support when Smash comes out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone heard anything about playing Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition wireless co-op? Does it require two copies of the game? Does it run better than the WiiU version's co-op where not enough enemies would spawn so it made getting a high rank nearly impossible?

My wife and I were thinking about each picking up a copy but I haven't heard anything about the wireless co-op except that it exists.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they accidentally enabled support for the GC adapters a while ago, so they’re definitely planning on it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mister Facetious posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they added wireless/USB GC controller support when Smash comes out.

Heck the switch already supports GC controllers in a digital node for the shoulder buttons already if you have the wiiu adapter.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I just bought a switch yesterday, along with Mario Kart.

Is Best Buy Gamers Club worth it? I've been a PC-only person for years, so I'm not in any way used to paying $60 for games. Is there a market of used games outside of eBay?

Any good co-op games out there, as well?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

bizarre deformity posted:

Has anyone heard anything about playing Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition wireless co-op? Does it require two copies of the game? Does it run better than the WiiU version's co-op where not enough enemies would spawn so it made getting a high rank nearly impossible?

My wife and I were thinking about each picking up a copy but I haven't heard anything about the wireless co-op except that it exists.

This video says local split screen only. I don't think they mentioned about not enough enemies

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

He wants a Mario Kart hang glider installed and he’s refusing to leave until they agree to do it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

gariig posted:

This video says local split screen only. I don't think they mentioned about not enough enemies

weird, the eshop page mentions local wireless co-op with 2 switches

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

goferchan posted:

weird, the eshop page mentions local wireless co-op with 2 switches

Yeah that's what I was going on, the page on the eShop.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Schiavona posted:

Is Best Buy Gamers Club worth it? I've been a PC-only person for years, so I'm not in any way used to paying $60 for games. Is there a market of used games outside of eBay?

Any good co-op games out there, as well?

Im not sure how the discounts apply with best buy, but the amazon prime discounts are great. Blazblue Crosstag is 20% off for preorders through prime, bringing it down to a wholesome $40

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Schiavona posted:

Yes. I saved like $100+ just from a few switch games, well worth the price.

THE loving MOON posted:

Im not sure how the discounts apply with best buy, but the amazon prime discounts are great. Blazblue Crosstag is 20% off for preorders through prime, bringing it down to a wholesome $40

20% off all new games, including Amiibo and collector's editions. It's really worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really want Rogue Legacy on my switch. I played the hell out of it on the vita but would absolutely buy it again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Uhhh so in the coming soon section of the Aussie eShop Minecraft is listed.

It's a seperate version entirely from Minecraft For Nintendo Switch.

:psyduck:

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Infinitum posted:

It's the new upgrade.
All editions going forward are going to be this new edition.
It's so that you can get cross-platform play.
If you own the previous version, it will update to this version.

Surprisingly, Minecraft for Xbox One (The separate version than just Minecraft) is not being updated after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Infinitum posted:

It's the xbox enabled version with crossplay and infinite worlds. It's gonna replace the original like nba playgrounds.

• Locked thread