Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Dang IntiCreates can really crank 'em out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/994977792159764480?s=20

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Light Fall is fun but they completely ruined any chance of me caring about the plot/lore by hiding it away on slow autoscrolling boxes.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Is it good?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

minit loving rules, probably gonna buy it again.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/995120594625556481

(From the guy that made Celeste)

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I still want those black joycons.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Fly with me posted:

I still want those black joycons.
I would definitely pay for those black joycons.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You can get those joycons just by paying a developer fee right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Crawfish posted:

I would definitely pay for those black joycons.

I;m thinking about thos Joycons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd rather have people to play Towerfall with myself. Game is great but all my gamer friends moved away.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Over There posted:

Is it good?

Wondering this myself, looked up a video and in a half hour someone already beat the entire thing so uh... really wondering why people are excited about it other than "it is a game that exists and is on the switch"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wondering this myself, looked up a video and in a half hour someone already beat the entire thing so uh... really wondering why people are excited about it other than "it is a game that exists and is on the switch"

I mean there have to be a few people interested in any given game, no matter how bad. I remember on one forum some guy started an “immortal redneck hyyyype!” Thread and everyone was like “uh why”

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Just checkin in to say Bayo 2 is dope af

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I mean there have to be a few people interested in any given game, no matter how bad. I remember on one forum some guy started an “immortal redneck hyyyype!” Thread and everyone was like “uh why”

Yeah I've only seen a little bit of Immortal Redneck footage but it looks thoroughly mediocre, as mediocre as its terrible name and premise.

Like, make a mummy game or make a Redneck Rampage remake or make a FPS rogue-lite. Don't cram all three together to check off a list of wacky indie game ideas.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Schiavona posted:

Is Best Buy Gamers Club worth it? I've been a PC-only person for years, so I'm not in any way used to paying $60 for games. Is there a market of used games outside of eBay?

It's worth it if you plan on buying mostly physical copies, as the discount doesn't apply to digital code purchases. It pays for itself if you buy like 3 games within 2 years, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I've only seen a little bit of Immortal Redneck footage but it looks thoroughly mediocre, as mediocre as its terrible name and premise.

Like, make a mummy game or make a Redneck Rampage remake or make a FPS rogue-lite. Don't cram all three together to check off a list of wacky indie game ideas.

It’s an FPS roguelite set in ancient Egypt. Not sure what your criteria for what does or doesn’t make a good “mummy game” are if that doesn’t meet them. And the only thing it has in common with Redneck Rampage is that they both have “redneck” in the title. It’s more like Serious Sam than anything else (which was also set in ancient Egypt, but the protagonist wasn’t a mummy).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve had fun with the six or so hours of Immortal Redneck I’ve played. Though there is a bug when playing with the Joycons—if you move the left stick down and to the left the character keeps moving in that direction until you move it past the center in another direction.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Weedle posted:

And the only thing it has in common with Redneck Rampage is that they both have “redneck” in the title.

The protagonist is a swearing redneck. For no reason.

Like you missed my point, my point was that if you're going to have a redneck protagonist have a reason for it. Like just making a Redneck Rampage remake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Like you missed my point, my point was that if you're going to have a redneck protagonist have a reason for it.

I disagree, many games would be vastly improved if the protagonist was a swearing redneck.

Like Breath of the Wild.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

King Vidiot posted:

Like you missed my point, my point was that if you're going to have a redneck protagonist have a reason for it. Like just making a Redneck Rampage remake.

The reason is so they can have a loud, stupid, foul mouthed protagonist (think Duke Nukem). I agree that it doesn’t really match the rest of the games style but if you turn the voice volume all the way down and disable subtitles he’ll just be your standard silent video game protagonist. All you see of him is his hand, which is your standard mummy hand.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 13, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mega64 posted:

I disagree, many games would be vastly improved if the protagonist was a swearing redneck.

Like Breath of the Wild.

If Link yelled “gently caress” every time his weapon broke and “poo poo” every time he fell down I’d pay for it again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Me, I just want to hear Mario swearing like a Joe Pesci Italian-American stereotype.

"Eh, we gotta go fuckin' save da princess again over here, I mean what am I chopped fuckin' liver?"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Beat The Fractured But Whole, despite its lovely save eating glitch, and it's awakened an appetite for more superhero games with lots of power and costume customization.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Beat The Fractured But Whole, despite its lovely save eating glitch, and it's awakened an appetite for more superhero games with lots of power and costume customization.

Link has a superhuman stomach.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

City of Heroes would be perfect on the Switch

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I got the Lamicall Switch stand recommended earlier in the thread and it's great. Now: which Pinball game is the good one?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

City of Heroes would be perfect on the Switch

Agreed. Someone really needs to swoop in and create a single player city for stomping around in as a hero...

...or villain.

Mega64 posted:

Link has a superhuman stomach.

Yeah but I've got 240 hours in that game already.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I got the Lamicall Switch stand recommended earlier in the thread and it's great. Now: which Pinball game is the good one?

On the Switch? Pinball FX3 and nothing else.

Pinball Arcade lost the licenses to all their good tables, their Switch port sucks, and the tables are already gone on the Switch. You can't even buy the Bally/Williams tables on Switch now, even though the licenses are still good through June.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Rolo posted:

If Link yelled “gently caress” every time his weapon broke and “poo poo” every time he fell down I’d pay for it again.

"Well now, who the gently caress would want this garbage?" for every skeletal bokoblin arm I pick up.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

King Vidiot posted:

On the Switch? Pinball FX3 and nothing else.

Cool, I will check it out. Mostly bought the stand for vertical mode Ikaruga. Any of the other arcade schmup ports support vertical mode?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

All are free to start, and all are quite good, depending on what you're looking for. Pinball FX 3's closest relative is Zen Pinball 2, which doesn't usually aim for realism, so they can animate characters and other things on the themed tables. It's got customization, unlockables, and a polished UI

Stern Pinball is the other one, and it's made by the creators of Pinball Arcade, except mainly features realistic versions of Stern Pinball machines. The UI is pretty basic (read: bad) but the physics and feel are quite right; for some, preferable

They both feature vertical mode, so you can turn your Switch sideways and play with the full table on screen and without a horrible viewing angle

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Not Operator posted:

"Well now, who the gently caress would want this garbage?" for every skeletal bokoblin arm I pick up.

How about 'loving come on!' for every flint that drops from an ore deposit

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“Jesus Christ it’s hot out here.”

“Jesus Christ now it’s cold again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Spellman posted:

Stern Pinball is the other one, and it's made by the creators of Pinball Arcade, except mainly features realistic versions of Stern Pinball machines. The UI is pretty basic (read: bad) but the physics and feel are quite right; for some, preferable
I believe the Stern game is basically discontinued due to it's, uh, quality issues on most platforms, because it sounds like they're just gonna add all the Stern stuff to the base Pinball Arcade game to make up for losing the lion's share of their tables.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
"Is this rain ever going to fuckin' end, jesus!"

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

"Why the gently caress am I trying to climb this mountain in the rain?"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Now I'm just imagining Link grumbling and muttering under his breath like Joe Pesci while trying to climb up the sides of cliffs and mountains

*slips from a ledge and tumbles all the way down*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY7nSgNrNwc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cojawfee posted:

Unless Nintendo allows for using Wii attachments on the Switch, The Wii/WiiU will be the best for Nintendo emulation. You can attach an official NES/SNES controller to your wiimote and play those old games. If they release an N64 classic with original controllers, that will pretty much be it. A Wii will be able to natively play pretty much every Nintendo console that came before it. Assuming the N64 controller works on the Wii. The NES and SNES ones work natively, but the N64 has two extra buttons to deal with.

You can use 8bitdo controllers with the Switch and the SNES 30Pro is by all accounts pretty fantastic.

You can also get NES/SNES gamepads that're USB so it really isn't a Wii/WiiU thing if you're concerned with specific controller usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can use 8bitdo controllers with the Switch and the SNES 30Pro is by all accounts pretty fantastic.

You can also get NES/SNES gamepads that're USB so it really isn't a Wii/WiiU thing if you're concerned with specific controller usage.

Those aren't official controllers though, and the quality is sometimes questionable.

• Locked thread