Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
humans in general are pretty problematic so no media should be enjoyed. nothing we do should be enjoyed really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

datajugend posted:

humans in general are pretty problematic so no media should be enjoyed. nothing we do should be enjoyed really.

my friend, have you ever heard of furries

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like when Andre Braugher says "Cowabunga, Mother"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

my friend, have you ever heard of furries

yeah zootopia was also problematic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Terry Crewes is saying B99 is okay for another season on facebook.

Yep NBC picked them up for 13.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

13 seasons seems like overkill, but I'm sure NBC knows what they're doing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

New Executive Producer Dick Wolf.

Law & Order: Brooklyn 99.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

New Executive Producer Dick Wolf.

Law & Order: Brooklyn 99.

Chicago PD: Brooklyn 99 Unit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rick and Morty just got a SEVEN SEASON renewal order so you never know.

Speaking of Dick Wolf, L&O: SVU was just picked up for a 20th season, so he gets another crack at that Gunsmoke record he craves.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I haven't watched Hogan's Heroes since I was like 12 but I got the distinct impression that Klink and Schultz knew what Hogan et al were doing and the whole goof was on K&S's more hardcore superiors

Like didn't Hogan literally sit around drinking booze in Klink's office and they were basically chums until the camp got (inevitably, constantly) inspected?

I'm not looking this up because the guard gives me all the schnapps I can drink but Wikipedia is blocked on the camp wifi for some reason

Camp Wi-Fi? You know the Nazis never check the underground tunnels right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Speaking of Dick Wolf, L&O: SVU was just picked up for a 20th season, so he gets another crack at that Gunsmoke record he craves.

Someone very powerful at NBC hates Dick Wolf and will never let the Gunsmoke record fall.

Adding it all up, there have been 51 seasons of Law & Order or it's spin-offs. Which sounds amazing until you realize there have been 66 seasons of Survivor and the Amazing Race.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I haven't watched Hogan's Heroes since I was like 12 but I got the distinct impression that Klink and Schultz knew what Hogan et al were doing and the whole goof was on K&S's more hardcore superiors

Like didn't Hogan literally sit around drinking booze in Klink's office and they were basically chums until the camp got (inevitably, constantly) inspected?

I'm not looking this up because the guard gives me all the schnapps I can drink but Wikipedia is blocked on the camp wifi for some reason

What? No not at all. I mean Shultz does kind of know but turns the blind eye because he wants nothing to do with anything that could get him in trouble and sent to the western front.

The point is that Klink and co are old time soldiers and not true nazis like the other antagonists. This doesn't make them good but does make them relatable people who arent literally murdering minorities.

Hell, Werner Klemperer was a german jew himself and only took the role knowing Klink was just a bumbling old german solider getting played like a fiddle by Hogan and not a real nazi. Same with John Banner.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

Didn't the Simpsons just break that record?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone very powerful at NBC hates Dick Wolf and will never let the Gunsmoke record fall.

Adding it all up, there have been 51 seasons of Law & Order or it's spin-offs. Which sounds amazing until you realize there have been 66 seasons of Survivor and the Amazing Race.

Written drama and game shows/reality really should not be judged based on the same scale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Electrical Fire posted:

Didn't the Simpsons just break that record?

Gunsmoke’s record is for live action.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Written drama and game shows/reality really should not be judged based on the same scale.

Unless the scale is profitability.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, but Law & Order's plots are ripped from the headlines. So it's just the most dramatic reality show.

A non-reality show won't beat Gunsmoke until Grey's Anatomy somewhere around Trump's last year in Office.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but Law & Order's plots are ripped from the headlines. So it's just the most dramatic reality show.

A non-reality show won't beat Gunsmoke until Grey's Anatomy somewhere around Trump's last year in Office.

Grey's starts season 15 later this year, tying it with ER. Supernatural starts season 14 but I have a sneaking suspicion it might outlast GA. This is mostly due to Shonda's recent problems with ABC.

That said, really depends on when Ellen, Jensen and Jared decide they're ready to just chill and live off their residuals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd heard that Supernatural could end when it gets to 300 episodes, whenever that is.

Grey's Anatomy will probably beat E.R. which had 15 seasons. It probably has a couple more in the tank.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why does anyone still associate with The Grey if everyone she develops the slightest attachment to dies horribly several seasons later?

Like the setting almost has an implied supernatural element because there's simply no other way to explain the constant death of this one woman's friends and family.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nutsngum posted:

What? No not at all. I mean Shultz does kind of know but turns the blind eye because he wants nothing to do with anything that could get him in trouble and sent to the western front.

The point is that Klink and co are old time soldiers and not true nazis like the other antagonists. This doesn't make them good but does make them relatable people who arent literally murdering minorities.

Hell, Werner Klemperer was a german jew himself and only took the role knowing Klink was just a bumbling old german solider getting played like a fiddle by Hogan and not a real nazi. Same with John Banner.

Klemperers condition for playing Klink was that Klink never came out on top, ever, not that Klink was not a real nazi.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Koalas March posted:

Grey's starts season 15 later this year, tying it with ER. Supernatural starts season 14 but I have a sneaking suspicion it might outlast GA. This is mostly due to Shonda's recent problems with ABC.

That said, really depends on when Ellen, Jensen and Jared decide they're ready to just chill and live off their residuals.

Rumor has it the actress who plays Meredith is thinking about stopping and when she's gone the show ends apparently

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Now I need someone to pick up The Expanse :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard that Supernatural could end when it gets to 300 episodes, whenever that is.

This year. This is its 13th 23 episode season, which is 299, plus the one season truncated by the writers strike. I think 14X10 is episode 300.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I need someone to give us more Last Man On Earth personally.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nutsngum posted:

Pastry of the Year: wrong about Hogan's Heroes, wrong for America

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair, a lot of reality shows like Survivor or The Voice cheat by having 3-4 seasons a year, while stuff like Law and Order get one. SVU alone has been on the air like, 2 years longer than Survivor or so if memory serves correctly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, a lot of reality shows like Survivor or The Voice cheat by having 3-4 seasons a year, while stuff like Law and Order get one. SVU alone has been on the air like, 2 years longer than Survivor or so if memory serves correctly.

Oh sure. Survivor has been on since 2000 or so, that's easily two seasons a year. It's just the idea that there have been 36 of these. I stopped watching after season 8 or so.

When you go back to count the numbers on these reality shows, there's some sticker shock at just how many seasons they've managed and just how boring all of them have been. Between the Bachelor and Bachelorette, 34 White people have given 35 White people a final rose.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Dont forget Robert Clary (LeBeau), who was a French Jew who was sent to the camps as a kid, and still had his number tattoo on his arm.

But then we could get into the whole Bob Crane business...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ulex minor posted:

except for you and all the special people in this thread, maybe we could solve this problem if goons got a special pass to tv shows like this and Reno 911 since we are able to fight the corrupting influence to put 'blue lives matter' bumper stickers on our car after watching a comedy show involving police better than most

Way to miss my point but at least you got a tepid burn I guess

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Coronation Street has 9,451 episodes as of today so I'm fairly sure it counts as the longest running TV show ever

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just looked on Wikipedia and apparently there were 17 (!) seasons of Lassie between 1954 and 1973. I wonder how many dogs they went through.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just looked on Wikipedia and apparently there were 17 (!) seasons of Lassie between 1954 and 1973. I wonder how many dogs they went through.

Across all the assorted Lassie media, there have been nine dogs portraying the title role, all male

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Across all the assorted Lassie media, there have been nine dogs portraying the title role, all male

drat even canine actresses can't get good roles

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Are there any shots where they show the dogs dick and betray the lie

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there any shots where they show the dogs dick and betray the lie

You don’t have to look through old Lassie episodes to see some dog dick. There are plenty of dog dick photos online. I won’t judge.

I hope they reboot Lassie with a female, or at least female-identifying, dog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
“All the dogs portraying Lassie have been male. A female collie was hired to play the lead in Lassie Come Home, but when an opportunity came to film "Lassie" negotiating some rapids, the female reportedly would have nothing to do with the rushing water. Rudd Weatherwax's collie "Pal" was substituted, and not only stole the stunt but won the role. Weatherwax continued to use male collies in the role for a good reason: both sexes shed in the summer (when most movies and television shows traditionally film most of their episodes), an event called "blowing coat," but since the male has thicker fur, he wouldn't look so scrawny during filming. Also, fans tend to think of Lassie as a "big heroic dog." Female collies are usually 10-15 pounds lighter than their male counterparts, therefore a male dog playing Lassie would look more impressive. Female collies were not ignored because they are any less intelligent; in fact, some of Lassie's stunt doubles have been females.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s important to understand that there was no sexism on the set of Lassie, ok?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Face it, the females were too smart to do the dangerous stunts so they used males who wouldn't question it. Such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Was the potential female Lassie being paid the same as her male counterparts? I think not.