Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Like I needed other reasons to hate Discovery. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Yeah, one of the comments mentions stuff being sold to the Discovery production. :v:

The final insult. Goddamn it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
well at least we can have more timeless, definitely-gonna-age-well moments like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Were the expanse books ever sold in hardcover or only paperback?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Willie Tomg posted:

well at least we can have more timeless, definitely-gonna-age-well moments like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMP5OKXrwCQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: The Expanse

but lmao the amount of salt because some of the sets are going to Discovery.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Captain, we appear to have jumped into a non-poo poo universe."

J\K you know they're going to use them in a super condescending way like that one TNG episode where they laughed at the primitives and their lovely nukes.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Were the expanse books ever sold in hardcover or only paperback?

Theres hardcovers. About half of mine are hc and the rest are paperback, because I was careless. I should ditch them and get the hc to make my collection more uniform, but buying books I already own seems like a waste.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:rip: The Expanse

but lmao the amount of salt because some of the sets are going to Discovery.

..it's insanely poo poo dude. Even Star Trek dorks hate it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

..it's insanely poo poo dude. Even Star Trek dorks hate it.

That's how you know it's good.

e: the Star Trek dorks hate this show too, or at least the ones that post in the ST and Disco threads

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Will I like Discovery if the only Trek I like is DS9

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Thats really iffy. DS9 (and really all ST shows) was only good when it was going to war and Discovery seems like it knew this and said 'lets get straight to that'... but then swerves hard and blue balls you with non-war episodes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If we all start watching STD will that get cancelled too? :nallears:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e: the Star Trek dorks hate this show too, or at least the ones that post in the ST and Disco threads

This has not been my experience

Anyway it sucks that STD gets The Expanse's stuff because STD is a laughably bad sci fi show with none of the qualities that made this one so awesome.

Maybe it's better to go out on top, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress everything

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mu Zeta posted:

No, it's poo poo.

I tried my hardest to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's fundamentally flawed and stupid and lovely in almost every way and poaching sets from a superior show just seals the deal for me.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress everything

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

I wouldn't say *all* hope is lost, looks like there's still a chance (however small) that Amazon can pick it up. If you want them to, contact them here and let them know that you would support it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seth McFarlane made a more universally appreciated Star Trek show than the Star Trek IP holders. Discovery is in no way "good".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EimiYoshikawa posted:

No, it's poo poo.

I tried my hardest to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's fundamentally flawed and stupid and lovely in almost every way and poaching sets from a superior show just seals the deal for me.

How is it poaching if the show is cancelled? Or do you think that studio lots have gangs roaming around stealing sets from each other at night?

bring back old gbs posted:

Seth McFarlane made a more universally appreciated Star Trek show than the Star Trek IP holders. Discovery is in no way "good".

The Orville was super dire. That show should've taken The Expanse sets so it would have some that didn't look like poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery sucks rear end,

Star wars does too,

Go to Amazon,

Buy the loving books

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spiderbyte posted:

I wouldn't say *all* hope is lost, looks like there's still a chance (however small) that Amazon can pick it up. If you want them to, contact them here and let them know that you would support it.

Can we move from the pleading to the threats phase?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How is it poaching if the show is cancelled? Or do you think that studio lots have gangs roaming around stealing sets from each other at night?

The Orville was super dire. That show should've taken The Expanse sets so it would have some that didn't look like poo poo.

It's better than whatever show you like

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I enjoyed Discovery enough. Though I think that was more for Thicccc as gently caress gingers though. I hate everything they did with the Klingons. Yea, lets take what is possibly the most popular alien race ever in sci-fi and completely strip out all the stuff that made them interesting and multidimensional and just make them theocratic warmongers. Not to mention making their ships all look like complete turds that look almost nothing like the classic ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

spiderbyte posted:

There's a facebook post on the last page or the one before by the guy who is apparently the prop master for The Expanse (his name is on IMDB as a prop master, so it seems to check out). He said they already tried to shop it around and everyone passed and the sets are being taken down.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The latest is that Netflix hard passed because they've got a ton of content coming already, Amazon has expressed interest in the show in the past and that's who everyone's pinning their last hopes on. Sets will begin to be struck Monday or Tuesday, starting with the non-essential stuff and probably ending with the Roci at the end of the week.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bring back old gbs posted:

Seth McFarlane made a more universally appreciated Star Trek show

Orville is the best Star Trek since DS9

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never had a show I was super into cancelled. Is this how Firefly fans felt? Except for an actually good show instead?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i think you just have terminally poor taste

god bless

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sometimes I'm disappointed and then I remind myself that BSG also only got 3 seasons.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The Orville sets look the way they do because they are hardcore trying to homage TNG. It looks out of date and weird for a reason. I friggin love The Orville and hate Discovery, but the truth is Discovery is popular enough to be renewed so some people out there like it. Might as well give it a shot, because opinions on it vary wildly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hailthefish posted:

Sometimes I'm disappointed and then I remind myself that BSG also only got 2 seasons and the cylons totally had a plan

:same:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

twistedmentat posted:

I enjoyed Discovery enough. Though I think that was more for Thicccc as gently caress gingers though. I hate everything they did with the Klingons. Yea, lets take what is possibly the most popular alien race ever in sci-fi and completely strip out all the stuff that made them interesting and multidimensional and just make them theocratic warmongers. Not to mention making their ships all look like complete turds that look almost nothing like the classic ones.

I didn't love the Klingon redesign, but I understand wanting to bring the alien makeup more in line with modern quality expectations, and it's not like it's the first time Klingons have had a big makeover. I agree about the ships, less because they didn't resemble the classics than because they were completely forgettable. It probably didn't help that a lot of the space scenes were pretty dark, with action that was difficult to follow.

Also, they went a loooong time as a two-dimensional "honorable warrior race" with almost no variation beyond Worf--and he didn't get a whole lot of character development until DS9. I thought that Discovery's Klingons seeing the Federation as homogenizing cultural imperialists (an occasional theme in DS9 too) was actually a pretty good angle.

One thing that bugged me throughout the season was that the plot hinges on an amazing new technology that I guess everyone completely forgets about within a decade, when TOS takes place. Then again, forgetting about incredible new inventions the second you set them down is Star Trek as hell, so maybe that was the show trying to fit in :v:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Re: Orville: meh. The comedy/earnestness balance feels off. Most episodes are pretty traditional Trek-type stories, but not especially good tellings of those stories. It comes off as rehash-y fanfiction, which I guess makes sense, given that the whole thing is basically a vehicle for Seth McFarlane to live out his Star Trek fantasies.

Discovery tried to distinguish itself by being all dark and edgy with frenetic pew-pew. The Orville overshot in the other direction with low-budget morality plays. I watched both full seasons, though, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Striking the sets this soon isn't unusual at all.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Discovery has objectively one of the best first seasons of any Trek show, only TOS and arguably DS9 are better. At any rate I think damning Disco over the cancellation of the Expanse is pretty silly.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress everything

:agreed:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Guess I’ll be picking up the books now. How close are they to the show? Am I going to feel like I’m reading a screenplay of something I’ve seen before, or am I good to start with book one?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hailthefish posted:

Sometimes I'm disappointed and then I remind myself that BSG also only got 3 seasons.

Just to be clear: BSG had about as many episodes as The Sopranos so this is a dumb argument. :colbert:

Anywho, just came in again to say the cancellation is HOT GARBAGE CAT! :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good place in the books to pick up from where we're leaving?