Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Enigma posted:

Guess I’ll be picking up the books now. How close are they to the show? Am I going to feel like I’m reading a screenplay of something I’ve seen before, or am I good to start with book one?

The show and books have stuck closely, though season 3 has drifted somewhat more. You do get a lot more world building and character depth and stuff in the books though. They aren't particularly long, I'd just start at the beginning.

If you don't want to do that, start with book three once the series ends. My guess is the last episode will be somewhere in the middle-to-late part of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The big plot beats are pretty similar, but what happens along the way is pretty different at times. I'd start from the beginning.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Grand Fromage posted:

The show and books have stuck closely, though season 3 has drifted somewhat more. You do get a lot more world building and character depth and stuff in the books though. They aren't particularly long, I'd just start at the beginning.

If you don't want to do that, start with book three once the series ends. My guess is the last episode will be somewhere in the middle-to-late part of that one.

The world and politics are some of what I love the most about the show, so it sounds like starting with the first book is the way to go. Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some protomolecule stuff is also different, as is the crew dynamic on the Rocinante. They've also introduced characters in different ways at different times so the sequence of events might be confusing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Elentor posted:

Is there a good place in the books to pick up from where we're leaving?

we still don't know for sure where they will stop. the last episode is named after the third book though. and the fourth book, to honest, I kind of doubt they would have really covered it in depth at all.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I tried to jump to the books after season 2 but there were enough changes to basically make that feat impossible.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I didn't love the Klingon redesign, but I understand wanting to bring the alien makeup more in line with modern quality expectations, and it's not like it's the first time Klingons have had a big makeover. I agree about the ships, less because they didn't resemble the classics than because they were completely forgettable. It probably didn't help that a lot of the space scenes were pretty dark, with action that was difficult to follow.

Also, they went a loooong time as a two-dimensional "honorable warrior race" with almost no variation beyond Worf--and he didn't get a whole lot of character development until DS9. I thought that Discovery's Klingons seeing the Federation as homogenizing cultural imperialists (an occasional theme in DS9 too) was actually a pretty good angle.

...right? There are some serious rose-coloured glasses people have for previous Trek serieses, the hyperbolic level of hate that goons have for ST:D is breathtaking. I'd be happy with it being a little less grimdark, but I enjoy both it and The Orville (and obviously The Expanse).

The Expanse and to a lesser extent The Magicians made me hope SyFy was really turning a corner in terms of going back to their roots, this news brings me back around to "yeah, nevermind, they're still garbage". I give the Magicians one more season before they can it too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I mentioned this before, but how much of the blame lies at Alcon's feet for restricting Syfy's agreement to live viewing only? It severely limits the interest the network would have in keeping the show going.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Honestly, as much as i hate SYFY this isn't really their fault. The deal that Alcon gave them is pretty drat lovely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't skip books because you watched the TV show you wierdos.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, if you're that lazy just read the wiki synopsis or check out the badass spoilerpost in the other thread that breaks down everything that should happen in the rest of the season.
:shrug:

There's still 8 episodes and it should be a crazy ride. I think show watchers are gonna go bananas! :iiam:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they can do a 4th season with 100% CG sets like Sanctuary.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
If you must skip a book, book two is still a strong starting point. Under no circumstances should you jump into books three or four.

e: In fact, if you’re going to skip Caliban’s War, go all the way and start reading at Nemesis Games (book five).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they can do a 4th season with 100% CG sets like Sanctuary.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Did he go beyond Warp 10?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toast Museum posted:

I didn't love the Klingon redesign, but I understand wanting to bring the alien makeup more in line with modern quality expectations, and it's not like it's the first time Klingons have had a big makeover. I agree about the ships, less because they didn't resemble the classics than because they were completely forgettable. It probably didn't help that a lot of the space scenes were pretty dark, with action that was difficult to follow.

Also, they went a loooong time as a two-dimensional "honorable warrior race" with almost no variation beyond Worf--and he didn't get a whole lot of character development until DS9. I thought that Discovery's Klingons seeing the Federation as homogenizing cultural imperialists (an occasional theme in DS9 too) was actually a pretty good angle.

One thing that bugged me throughout the season was that the plot hinges on an amazing new technology that I guess everyone completely forgets about within a decade, when TOS takes place. Then again, forgetting about incredible new inventions the second you set them down is Star Trek as hell, so maybe that was the show trying to fit in :v:

Thing is, that is what really improved the Klingons, hell, DS9 did a lot to improve alien races into something much more complex than what we saw before. That is the Klingons i'm talking about, not the bare bones we got before. One of the great things about DS9 is that the writers and actors would work together and there was a two way communication about what they wanted to do with the characters. It's really an ideal way to make a ensemble genre show.

I agree about the spore drive stuff. Like if at the end they had proved it was unfeasible or otherwise dead end tech, then it would make sense.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

anyone who gave a nuke to anarchists in real life would be a hero, nerds

the only thing naomi did 'wrong' was betray the trust of her shipmates, and that transgression entirely justifies amos's and the rest of the crew's reactions

i agree (tho tbh i dont really see the OPA as anarchists tbh. like im literally an anarchist and the OPA seems to do a lot of really un-anarchist stuff)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok honestly now that im thinking about it calling the OPA anarchists is totally off since the books/show are definitely made by folks who dont really have a real understanding of anarchism. there could easily be anarchists in the belt itself along with other cells following various leftist tendencies since it seems that the OPA isn't really a cohesive group. Neither dawes nor johnson seem to have made many explicitly leftist statements beyond "we want the belt free from inner oppression."

If i had to compare the "legitimate" OPA run by Johnson to a contemporary ideology they might have some similarities to maoist/third worldism but that's a huuuuge stretch.

I mean I'm not surprised by this tho. The show/book is written for a primarily liberal american audience who would interpret anyone who says anything explicitly leftist (god forbid anarchist) as a irredeemably evil so they want to make the OPA somewhat ok to them by making them as liberal as possible.

I'm only going off the show/wiki tho since I'm still meaning to read the books. lemme know if the books go into any more explicit detail.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The OPA is in no way a cohesive organization. You see many different sorts of OPA in the books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And people always call terrorists anarchists, even if they don't have actual Anarchist motives. So calling the OPA Anarchists totally fits into the way people talk about organizations.

It bugs me that something that's garbage like Krypton is probably going to get another season.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, there are a lot of distinctive groups which comprise the OPA and they don't necessarily all get along or agree about politics. the show sort of glosses over that fact. the main thing uniting them is that they all think the Inners treat Belters like poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dawes and Fred Johnson certainly didn't get along. And Drummer hates Dawes too. I never read the books but my impression was the belters were not a unified group in any way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Raged posted:

Honestly, as much as i hate SYFY this isn't really their fault. The deal that Alcon gave them is pretty drat lovely.

SyFy is a distributor in this case, not the development house. It was not in Alcoa’s best interest to sign away either the US or the International digital streaming rights. Also, it almost certainly wouldn’t matter.

SyFy, as a traditional television channel typically makes the bulk of its revenue from advertising and cable franchise licensing, so the lion’s share of their revenue is going to come from 1st broadcast on cable and any OnDemand channel fees they get from the cable franchise deals. Advertisers are not interested in DVR eyeballs since there’s much much lower engagement in the ads they paid for. So SyFy gives zero shits about DVR ratings (On Demand is different if the cable company enforces ad viewing).

Raged posted:

:lol::lol:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If Syfy can only derive revenue from the Expanse from live viewership, and that number is not enough to be profitable, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to keep the show despite losing money. The only ones to blame are the general public for not appreciating a show like The Expanse.

I understand that other networks keep low rated prestige shows for goodwill like AMC with Halt and Catch Fire, or FX with Mr. Robot and the Americans, but that's a lot to ask for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

xerxus posted:

I understand that other networks keep low rated prestige shows for goodwill like AMC with Halt and Catch Fire, or FX with Mr. Robot and the Americans, but that's a lot to ask for.

I honestly thought that's what The Expanse was for them, their attempt to rebuild their reputation to what it was back when they had BSG on instead of being the joke wrestling network.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so book chat, is there a point after which the writing goes to poo poo, like certain other nerd series have done in the past, if so what book is a good stopping point?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Really the core problem is loving nobody sits down in front of the TV at a specific time on a specific day to watch a specific show anymore. Especially not the demographic interested in fresh, good sci-fi.

Maybe when the last god-forsaken boomer dies, the television industry will be able to leave behind the halcyon days of 1996 and unfuck itself. Until then, enjoy the briefest peeks at good things in between the thousands of hours of lovely reality TV and cookie-cutter crime procedurals, I guess.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

double nine posted:

so book chat, is there a point after which the writing goes to poo poo, like certain other nerd series have done in the past, if so what book is a good stopping point?

Not really. If I had to guess, the first or second are probably the most common favorites, the fourth book the least popular, and opinions better but mixed on most of the subsequent books.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

twistedmentat posted:

And people always call terrorists anarchists, even if they don't have actual Anarchist motives. So calling the OPA Anarchists totally fits into the way people talk about organizations.

It bugs me that something that's garbage like Krypton is probably going to get another season.

Once it's finished I doubt it'll ever air again as reruns. Think on that if you want to get pissed.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

always made me sad since anarchism is cool and good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to the prop master, Netflix is out but there's a chance that Amazon will pick it up. He is imploring the fans to lobby them hard.

Links here

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8iq1a0/renewal_megathread_earthers_martians_belters_we/

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Oh jeez Rick is this one of those Fundamentalist Anarchist left wing deconstructionism 1968 manifesto following Slough faction, 3rd brigade groups?

Anarchism jokes: How can you tell if an Anarchist is serious? They disagree with you.

How can you tell when an Anarchist is ill? They disagree with the doctor.

No two anarchists will ever truly agree what anarchism is, most cells are usually personality cults.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hailthefish posted:

Really the core problem is loving nobody sits down in front of the TV at a specific time on a specific day to watch a specific show anymore. Especially not the demographic interested in fresh, good sci-fi.

Maybe when the last god-forsaken boomer dies, the television industry will be able to leave behind the halcyon days of 1996 and unfuck itself. Until then, enjoy the briefest peeks at good things in between the thousands of hours of lovely reality TV and cookie-cutter crime procedurals, I guess.

Yep.

Streaming is the future, gently caress old people and their terrible loving taste. "Oh yeah, medical drama #7887 is really great, there is this real maverick doctor in it, just like in medical drama #9278 and #4752! We can watch this, and after that watch CSI: Fresno! Oh yeah after that there is this show about a quirky white guy solving crimes with his partner, the partner is either a minority or a woman. Always one of those."

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Collateral posted:

Oh jeez Rick is this one of those Fundamentalist Anarchist left wing deconstructionism 1968 manifesto following Slough faction, 3rd brigade groups?

Anarchism jokes: How can you tell if an Anarchist is serious? They disagree with you.

How can you tell when an Anarchist is ill? They disagree with the doctor.

No two anarchists will ever truly agree what anarchism is, most cells are usually personality cults.

im confused is this just a shitpost or is this poster actually trying to make some kind of point

Kanine fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 13, 2018

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

double nine posted:

I've heard a variety of complaints about a few of the books, especially the fourth book and the latest one (book seven), but I didn't notice a point after which the books are bad. I'd say books five and six were the strongest so far.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

double nine posted:

Not yet. Book Four is typically seen as the weakest but it's still pretty good as far as books go. Book Seven has started to show cracks but if they can hold it together for Eight and Nine, it'll be a great series.

Also, this cancellation is the worst. TSCC all over again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Four and seven are the most different ones, also. The first six books all have an arc that resolves by the end, but books 7-9 are a single long one. Four I don't want to spoil anything about.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Grand Fromage posted:

I honestly thought that's what The Expanse was for them, their attempt to rebuild their reputation to what it was back when they had BSG on instead of being the joke wrestling network.

Yeah I figured that was the selling point, and it's probably the thinking that led to them keeping it going for a third season, since the really stellar reviews didn't start coming in until season 2 but season 1 had the best ratings. I think a big part of why they didn't keep it is actually that they don't have enough big earners to offset it and they were too dumb to hold on to all the non live t.v. rights to their sci-fi genre show that no one wants to watch live. If they had full rights I think they keep making it, or if they had something that prints money for them through both ratings and various other things like dvds and streaming (like AMC has the Walking Dead), then I think it'd be renewed.

Amazon's getting the big fan push now and I see plenty of upside for them, but I think they'd still end up losing money picking it up and that's a tough pill for any business to swallow.

double nine posted:

None are bad in my view, I liked 4 more than most but I agree with the general view that it's the weakest, and I liked seven a lot. Five and Six have absolutely crazy stuff going down so that has the most sizzle to it, especially if you go into it with a love for the characters built up from previous books.

If you had to stop for some reason I'd go with after book 3 or after book 6.

In my view the writing never got real bad. It's not infallible and the greatest science fiction ever written or anything, but it was consistently well above par for me and one of very few scifi books I've kept up with. The show has given me a whole new appreciation for the story too, and it's been fun to watch it happen all over again after I'd forgotten so many little details.

Probably my greatest single praise for it is that it throws what I felt was the perfect amount of techno jargon and related worldbuilding at you, and then the rest is interesting characters and plots. I usually feel like there's too much on one side of the equation there in my scifi, so there was a really well done balance that I appreciated, from what I can recall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know businesses have to make money but if they don't pick it up it's going to be galling that Amazon could do a season of this show for the money Bezos makes while he's sitting on the toilet each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean they are dumping $500 million on the Lord of the Rings series. And that's after paying $250 million just for the rights.