Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sinistral posted:

So the Duskfall sword that you get from the feuding Valian families is bugged. It is supposed to give you 30 attack for the opening move of a fight but somehow it now is apples to my character permanently even when I use a different weapon

RIP this games difficulty lol

Speaking of this quest, is there any way to finish it without Pallegina getting super pissed at me and bailing on the party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Does anyone knows who gives ship bounties on the Huana side?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

frajaq posted:

Does anyone knows who gives ship bounties on the Huana side?

There's a guy on the second floor of the castle at the top of Nekataka.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lurksion posted:

Does anyone know if you get anything if you do Nemnok's quest/task to gather some books?

Interesting amusing quest in the far NW corner of the world.
I did two of them, you get a unique for each book. However, they were worse than my 24 hours of game time gear already and considering how hard one of them was to get I'm not sure about the risk/reward.

Still looking for the far flung swamp hut, wherever that is.

edit: I'll say that the one that was hard to do was also super fun and rewarding on its own, quest wise.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of this quest, is there any way to finish it without Pallegina getting super pissed at me and bailing on the party?

Bully them into talking to each other and resolve the feud diplomatically.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How are load times with this on an old timey hard drive? I dunno if I want to free up space on my SSD for this.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So I just did the quest A Glimpse Beyond. There doesn't seem to be a dialogue option to tell the animancers about the warning Rymrgand gave me. I get the feeling they're going to all end up dead by pissing him off.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How are load times with this on an old timey hard drive? I dunno if I want to free up space on my SSD for this.

I have mine installed on a regular drive and a load times are long enough to just start to be annoying, but then it loads. So like not great, but I’ve definitely had to deal with worse

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Ragequit posted:

Yeah, you can finish it with her happy. Make sure a duelist doesn't die, then convince the two heads of the families to have a sit down. It's just some dialogue checks and running between them. You can negotiate a deal where the rich family repairs the other family's ships if they leave town to protect trade lanes. You still get the reward items from both families. You can even progress both plots for a payout until you reach the moment of truth and decide it's best for them to talk it out.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

algebra testes posted:

I did two of them, you get a unique for each book. However, they were worse than my 24 hours of game time gear already and considering how hard one of them was to get I'm not sure about the risk/reward.

Still looking for the far flung swamp hut, wherever that is.

edit: I'll say that the one that was hard to do was also super fun and rewarding on its own, quest wise.
Bow and shield? I fought and looted those, and I'm guessing the third reward would be a staff? The staff seems really good btw, +1 power to elemental spells (upgrades to +2) and scales damage and action speed off of metaphysics.

Would be interesting if you get something different or more.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just bought a new ship. What do I with my old ship? Just let it sit in port and move all the crew and goods over to the new ship?

I presume I can't sail around as a fleet of two ships, right?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

alcaras posted:

Just bought a new ship. What do I with my old ship? Just let it sit in port and move all the crew and goods over to the new ship?

I presume I can't sail around as a fleet of two ships, right?

Correct on both

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Awesome. I'm gonna download it but may wait until my first playthrough is done before I get to actually modding it in. Keep up the good work! We definitely need more non sword non-saber uniques.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm a little paranoid about spoilers but I was wondering if anyone else has run into what seems to be a bug where the game says a companion wants to speak with you. It will show the little dialogue icon on their portrait as well as playing a soundbyte of them asking to talk, but then when you try to talk to them nothing new shows up and the indicator goes away. It seems like I'm probably skipping over something that should be triggering. I think it happened once with one of them and I ignored it, but it just happened again several hours later with another companion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't envy Obsidian at this point. It has got to be incredibly frustrating that a vocal minority of your fans/backers are legitimately terrible people who have so externalized their own life failures that they have actually convinced themselves that something important to their identity has been "tainted" by inclusion and diversity. It's a fantasy game with dragons, but Eothas forbid half the party members be bisexual, THAT'S UNREALISTIC!

Ugh.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Cavauro posted:

I'm a little paranoid about spoilers but I was wondering if anyone else has run into what seems to be a bug where the game says a companion wants to speak with you. It will show the little dialogue icon on their portrait as well as playing a soundbyte of them asking to talk, but then when you try to talk to them nothing new shows up and the indicator goes away. It seems like I'm probably skipping over something that should be triggering. I think it happened once with one of them and I ignored it, but it just happened again several hours later with another companion.

It's happened to me occasionally, think it's a display issue. IME it's always been because I've just had that conversation with the companion by talking with them manually but the game triggers the icon soon after (like an area transition or a ship/sea -> land transition). Far as I'm aware it hasn't caused me to miss out on anything but it's a guess, hard to tell since Deadfire wikis are predictably incomplete atm.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

isk posted:

It's happened to me occasionally. IME it's always been because I've just had that conversation with the companion by talking with them manually but the game triggers the icon soon after (like an area transition or a ship/sea -> land transition). Far as I'm aware it hasn't caused me to miss out on anything but it's a guess, hard to tell since Deadfire wikis are predictably incomplete atm.

Yeah, there's not much to be done about it but I was hoping to get a pretty believable explanation like that so thanks.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way to script Ranger companion abilities? I don't see an option for Takedown attack, for example.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Funky See Funky Do posted:

As I said before, on a 5 year old HP Pavilion, with graphics set to Low, the longest load time I've seen is about 30 seconds. Loading a saved game is close to a minute or so. Load times are faster than PoE 1 on the same machine.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cavauro posted:

This happened to me a couple of times, basically I think you can manually start a conversation and get the new dialogue (I usually do this like immediately after quests) but the game also alerts you at certain times when theres new stuff to talk about even if you've already had that talk.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I recall someone posted a while back a good way to make money, but I can't seem to find it, so:

Any tips for making money and keeping afloat with crew costs, upgrading the ship, and actually equipping my characters with decent gear?

Yeah, there's a few rice mills around the map you can sell to at 50% discount, I made 300k after questing a while and just selling to them. THere's one a bit NW of Neketaka, one down on the south end towards the east on the map, and a third generic mill. You'll see the discount at the top left when you open, just save all your crap fine and exception gear and such until you can get back to one of these, never worry bout money again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should I quest around or beeline to Nehetaka after Tutorial Island?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

precision posted:

Should I quest around or beeline to Nehetaka after Tutorial Island?

Beeline.
Then when you get to Neketaka, beeline straight to the Watershaper's Guild in Periki's Overlook (up the top of it) and pick up Tekehu.
Then head straight to the palace, pick up Maia. Finally head back down to Queen's Berth (where you start in Neketaka) and go inside the Vailian Trading Company headquarters to pick up Pallegina.

That's your full party, not including sidekicks.

Then you can start sidequesting. Resist the urge to do anything else until you do that, it's really quick and you'll be able to adjust your party for fun times.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 13, 2018

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Then head straight to the palace, pick up Maia. Finally head back down to Queen's Berth (where you start in Neketaka) and go inside the Vailian Trading Company headquarters to pick up Pallegina.

If your gamestate had Pallegina stay in her order she will join you at the same time as Maia in the palace.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh this really needs a custom voice pack to go along with it. Like if the player gets a crit it should have his wonderful laugh play.

This is a feature on the XCOM 2 Rich Evans voicepack. Just as you are imagine it. Also included: OH MY GOOOOOOOOD
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208294984
If only there was a way to rip it into PoE2

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 13, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Awesome. I'm gonna download it but may wait until my first playthrough is done before I get to actually modding it in. Keep up the good work! We definitely need more non sword non-saber uniques.

any in particular that come to mind?

so far i'm thinking
'arquebus that fires shot that penetrates anything but knocks you on your rear end'

and

'a club except its frostseeker bow and hits 5-6 times'

that goes for anyone else btw, i'll solicit neat ideas for weapons

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

precision posted:

I don't envy Obsidian at this point. It has got to be incredibly frustrating that a vocal minority of your fans/backers are legitimately terrible people who have so externalized their own life failures that they have actually convinced themselves that something important to their identity has been "tainted" by inclusion and diversity. It's a fantasy game with dragons, but Eothas forbid half the party members be bisexual, THAT'S UNREALISTIC!

Ugh.

Every romanceable companion is bisexual. Because inclusion, right? No pandering here.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
It's lazy writing. That's the problem I've always had with it. It takes a character trait and homogenizes it till it's nice and bland.

I might not like the writing for Sera from DA:I for instance (or her character in general), but I have nothing against her sexuality and in fact respect the fact that she sticks to her guns when it comes to her sexuality. Ditto for the Trevinter mage (though I like him as a character unlike Sera).

And I say this as a Bi-person myself.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Beeline.
Then when you get to Neketaka, beeline straight to the Watershaper's Guild in Periki's Overlook (up the top of it) and pick up Tekehu.

That's your full party, not including sidekicks.

Then you can start sidequesting. Resist the urge to do anything else until you do that, it's really quick and you'll be able to adjust your party for fun times.

I vote for Beeline as well.

I didn't realize the main quest was like 5 missions so now I'm at the "Make final allies" quest and I think it locked me out of half of the quest lines.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yikes.

Is there an ETA for the hotfix? Or any other patches hinted in the pipeline? I know the beta is on Steam.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Interesting the story brings up the bodies of the gods from Heritage hill. Nice little piece of the puzzle referenced.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

so far i'm thinking
'arquebus that fires shot that penetrates anything but knocks you on your rear end'

and

Kith posted:

Revive the Lead Spitter: 2-handed Blunderbuss with double projectile count and extra Penetration.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

so far i'm thinking

and

A quarterstaff but it's really a very long bong.

A hat that spawns random drugs once per encounter.

I am having a blast with my "normal-evil ex-raider who is extremely cranky to have been yanked out of retirement and is taking it out on everyone" run, the dialogue options give you a lot of chances to be a real jerk without being cartoonishly evil, I have high hopes (hah!) that the eventual DrugMonk run will be as fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

phreaky posted:

Every romanceable companion is bisexual. Because inclusion, right? No pandering here.

Some people would argue that everyone in real life is bisexual to some degree. Even ignoring that, I really don't see how this makes the game worse. Romances are optional for a reason.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Does all the hit to crit stuff stack? I was thinking about a hearth orlan devoted/sharpshooter specializing in warbows. Devoted gets the extra critical damage too.

Hearth Orlan - 10% hits to crits when attacking an enemy threatened by another party member
Sharpshooter - 15% hits to crits
Disciplined Strikes - 25% hits to crits

That is 50% hit to crit right there if they are additive.

If you used a pistol I think you could pick up one-handed style for another 20% hits to crits? Not sure I want to use pistols over frostseeker though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 13, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

precision posted:

Some people would argue that everyone in real life is bisexual to some degree. Even ignoring that, I really don't see how this makes the game worse. Romances are optional for a reason.

The trick is that while some of the companions might not be bisexual regularly, everyone becomes bisexual as soon as they become a pirate.

Alternatively but less likely than the pirate sexuality theory is that since every playthrough can be considered a different time line you end up in a timeline where everyone happens to be interested in those old bones of yours.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been stuck in the old city for like a full day and can’t get out because everybody’s got a poo poo ton of injuries. Man this sucks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've got a good 10 hours or so while this downloads so I suppose I'll plan my character. I'm fairly sure I removed PoE 1 completely from this computer and I usually turn off steam saves - how much am I able to try and rebuild what I did in the previous game with a fresh character? Honestly it's been so long I barely remember what actually happened so it's not very important.

I want to pick a class that's missing from the main party member pool. Is there anything that stands out as missing?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

precision posted:

It hurts the game's writing that literally every single one of your followers wants to gently caress you no matter what. It's okay for both straight and gay characters to 'miss' content like that; people who like playing solely male or female characters don't have to have their super harem.

Like anyone making a huge deal out of it is indeed a baby, it's a nitpick at most. But isn't a checkmark in the games favor to go "ugh I wrote this, might as well make as many people as possible see it"

I'm taking it the NotDutchTrading company is filled with assholes right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

phreaky posted:

Fishmen tend to be regarded as curiously attractive by all genders so it stands to reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMgV6iOuuQ