Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Reiley posted:

What is meant by "pixel art" here if them being high-res 2D raster art isn't sufficient?

It's a different art style. In order to fit in with the game, they would all have to be redrawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Counterpoint: who cares if they fit?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
hot take: they should make a super-realistic character and add it to the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Rubies, BBs/Personas and Under Nights all look vastly different when next to each other anyway so yeah pretty much.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Filia is easily both the boring Skullgirls character in terms of gameplay and the worst design so I'd rather there be literally be anyone else.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

recolor her and put in fukua instead cuz i liked her

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

put in dhalsim and honda

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

sharrrk posted:

recolor her and put in fukua instead cuz i liked her

Put Peacock in every fighting game, even the 3d ones

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
None of you said Big Band and I hope you're all ashamed.

More things need a Jazz Cyborg Noire Detective

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
put in a tekken character and don't even rescale them. just a giant 3d model

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Xad posted:

None of you said Big Band and I hope you're all ashamed.

More things need a Jazz Cyborg Noire Detective

Save him for the good games like Tekken 8 or smash

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Marin Karin posted:

put in a tekken character and don't even rescale them. just a giant 3d model

kazuyas foot

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fighting games make me want to kill myself, but I can't stop playing despite how angry it makes me or if I draw blood by punching myself in the head.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

hell, same

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cerebella, Big Band and woofwrestler are all cool and good skullgirls characters

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've watched too much saltybet and actually find too much stylistic coherence unsettling now.

Wish more games pining for that arcade feel included faux-attract/ai demo modes. Where's my Mame compatible coin-slot usb controller for that authentic vintage experience?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 13, 2018

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I'm mainlining Waldstien and Nu and I feel like a loving savage. I might bench Nu for yukiko but God bless mashing B.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have mostly been playing as Weiss/Yukiko despite never being good with Yukiko in P4A and also because I am a sucker for this Fire and Ice gag that even the characters themselves seem to be in on.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MechaX posted:

I have mostly been playing as Weiss/Yukiko despite never being good with Yukiko in P4A and also because I am a sucker for this Fire and Ice gag that even the characters themselves seem to be in on.

I feel like Yukiko really didn't make the transition to Tag very well but I could just not be getting her. She has limited fan use, her air C seems...not great, and her supers don't track like they used to. She's got great assists though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The heal poo poo sucks rear end!!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shiki Dan posted:

Filia is easily both the boring Skullgirls character in terms of gameplay and the worst design so I'd rather there be literally be anyone else.

It should be my girl Parasoul so they can capture the Wehraboo audience.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Add Umbrella to make up for her getting robbed during the IGG votes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gutcruncher posted:

Add Umbrella to make up for her getting robbed during the IGG votes

Ah, I see we got a big Vanguard Princess fan here. It's p. cool they let you post from jail.

(No one got robbed but PANZERFAUST, but we got Beowulf, my beautiful son so it's okay).

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Minette got robbed for real.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

SleepySonata posted:

I'm mainlining Waldstien and Nu and I feel like a loving savage. I might bench Nu for yukiko but God bless mashing B.

As someone playing wald yukiko, make the switch. Doing combos into spd while calling out yukiko to heal me is the best thing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Robo Fortune and Peacock would be the most fun characters to have in this game.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I think Filia would be a really good fit for UNIST.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Squigly. Singing orb bullshit and stance cancels with dumb assisted situations.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of picking up a stick, and was curious if anyone had any experience with the Hayabusa/Hori Real Arcade Pro.V Silent? I'm just not sure if I'm better off going for something out of the box with noise reduction or just getting something cheaper and putting in some of the Sanwa silent buttons/stick. It looks cheaper overall to get the sanwa parts but I'm not sure if theres any other important factors I'd be missing if I did just get like a Mayflash F300 or 500 compared to the Hori.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a stick, and was curious if anyone had any experience with the Hayabusa/Hori Real Arcade Pro.V Silent? I'm just not sure if I'm better off going for something out of the box with noise reduction or just getting something cheaper and putting in some of the Sanwa silent buttons/stick. It looks cheaper overall to get the sanwa parts but I'm not sure if theres any other important factors I'd be missing if I did just get like a Mayflash F300 or 500 compared to the Hori.

The main advantage you get with the Hori is the "Don't worry about it" factor, since it will essentially be complete out of the box. Not everyone enjoys modding their own sticks but if you like tinkering, that's a fine alternative and a decent way to burn a few hours too, although the inner parts of the stick may be a mess. I modded my now ancient Hori Real Arcade Pro III to Sanwa buttons from stock Hori, and it took me effectively an hour and a half, but I'm not used to that kind of work so I went slow and consulted videos every step of the way.

Here's a modding video for the Mayflash F300, finished in about 15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIy2nuwdbCo

If you're willing to mod, then the main concerns I'd say are
- Price: how much do you save doing the mod, and is the amount saved worth your time?
- Customisation: do you want a specific button colour setup, or maybe you can get those clear buttons?
- Weight: the higher end sticks are pretty hefty, which makes them very stable when on your lap or on any surface. And of course their build quality is better too, so it can take more punishment than cheap sticks.

They don't have the Mayflash where I live so I can't give a more direct comparison, but the HRAP V Silent is nice, hefty and quite large.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is this your first arcade stick? Just a heads-up: there's not much difference between normal and silent buttons but normal and silent sticks are very different in terms of feel and performance. The silent JLF is 60 bucks which is a lot to spend on something that you might not even like so think about it before you buy.

Besides the stick and buttons, other important things to consider are the shape and size of the case, the layout of the stick and buttons, and ease of modding.

Right now the Mad Catz TE S+ is 25% off ($200 -> $150) at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16879216265. Current gen sticks cost a lot but this is a pretty good price. It's got a touchpad and unlike the TE2, the TE S+ shares the same case as the original TE series which nearly everyone likes and you probably will too.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Are there any sticks for the PS4 that have a small form factor similar to the Hori EX2 or FS3 for the 360 or PS3? It'd be nice to have a more portable stick to carry around as opposed to a whole sized thing like a TE or HRAP.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I just learned that my favorite bb lambda god Hito plays on a ds4 instead of a fancy Qanba or something like i had imagined, which makes my own feeble attempts at using those thumbsticks for rapid quarters or dps even more humbling. Shows what a few thousand hours of experience can do!

Also bbtags "select the order" screen music opening always makes me think Avrils Skater boy is about to play and i can't unhear it despite trying desperately
i'm not yet sure if that's a good or bad thing

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 14, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I appreciate the advice and recommendations! Yes, this would be my first stick. Unfortunately the sale at Newegg doesn't do much to offset shipping since I am outside the US, but that does look really attractive.

I was looking at the silent JLF-TPRG-8AYT-SK which I can get for about 5000 yen. My main concern was just trying to be polite by looking for something slightly quieter since I would mostly be playing at night.

I don't mind tinkering since that sounds fairly appealing to me on its own. And it might be cheaper also because I could spend some time with the stock components to get a feel before investing more in customization or seeing how necessary the silent components actually are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tinkering with a stick is super easy and fun

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I just learned that my favorite bb lambda god Hito plays on a ds4 instead of a fancy Qanba or something like i had imagined, which makes my own feeble attempts at using those thumbsticks for rapid quarters or dps even more humbling. Shows what a few thousand hours of experience can do!

Also bbtags "select the order" screen music opening always makes me think Avrils Skater boy is about to play and i can't unhear it despite trying desperately

nobody uses thumbsticks for fgs they use the pad

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I appreciate the advice and recommendations! Yes, this would be my first stick. Unfortunately the sale at Newegg doesn't do much to offset shipping since I am outside the US, but that does look really attractive.

I was looking at the silent JLF-TPRG-8AYT-SK which I can get for about 5000 yen. My main concern was just trying to be polite by looking for something slightly quieter since I would mostly be playing at night.

There's a pretty noticeable difference between the 8AYT and the 8BYT, just fyi, and a lot of the reviews mention this most recent revision as a big upgrade.
http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/25/shoryuken-review-sanwa-denshi-jlf-silent-joystick-3rd-generation/

I also just picked one up myself! It feels remarkably similar to my previous JLF, but you don't have the clicking of gates. It's not 100% silent, but it's definitely a lot quieter. My wife certainly appreciates the difference, so I'm a big fan.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zand posted:

nobody uses thumbsticks for fgs they use the pad
I asked him directly and he said he uses the stick for circle motions

could just be a fg meme joke going over my head or him pulling my leg, but even on the dpad that's still insanely impressive to me

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Pad players use the dpad cor the most fault though there are a few players who use the thumplbsticks for certain moves. Pretty sure some game once had a bug were if you held back on the dpad and forward with the stick it would option select move forward and auto block when an attack was thrown.

E:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I asked him directly and he said he uses the stick for circle motions

could just be a fg meme joke going over my head or him pulling my leg, but even on the dpad that's still insanely impressive to me

I imagine he meant 360 command throws when he says circle motions. Pretty fast to do if you palm it but hard with your thumb

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

lamentable dustman posted:

Pretty sure some game once had a bug were if you held back on the dpad and forward with the stick it would option select move forward and auto block when an attack was thrown.
Sounds like some games being confused with hitbox setups that allow you to hold forward and backward at the same time. Guess it depends on what assumptions and shortcuts they make when specifically handling the key_down and key_up events.

lamentable dustman posted:

I imagine he meant 360 command throws when he says circle motions. Pretty fast to do if you palm it but hard with your thumb
Lambda doesn't have those, she's mostly 236, 214 and their doubles 236236 214214. I'm trying to learn some of his combo strings going through twitch vods of his tournament rounds at 25% playback speed and i'd kill for a hand/controller cam on those.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 14, 2018