Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

:same:

Best time ever to be a Who fan!

Yes, we're about to enter the era of the first woman Doctor, I'm sure the fandom is going to be awesome this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Since Big Finish launched an Eighth Doctor sale on the day I get paid, I just bought all four DARK EYES sets. How is it? And how much will it hurt the experience if I haven't listened to all of The Eighth Doctor Adventures?

Dark Eyes was written just before they got access to the New Series, and the Time War stuff, so it was basically them edging as close as they possibly could to hint at the future Time War without actually saying "Time War" (and also without the knowledge of the whole War Doctor thing).

I have a fondness for them; Dark Eyes 1 is the most consistent in quality, and the rest fluctuate between boxsets, but there's good moments in all of them.

As Davros1 says, you do kind of have to know the mindset the Doctor's in at the start, it's not strictly necessary, though recommended you check out the EDAs at some point because there's some pretty great stories in there, and they do form an overall set of story arcs.

If you need the absolute essentials, probably An Earthly Child (sets up the Doctor's reunion with Susan) , Relative Dimensions (Lucie "Bleedin'" Miller - the companion, decides to take a break from the Doctor on Earth), Prisoner of the Sun, Lucie Miller, and To the Death all lead in to each other.

That said, the Dark Eyes series explains enough that you're not going to be left too in the dark, and doesn't dwell too much on the EDA stuff.

Bicyclops posted:

Jesus, I am seven and a half year behind on Big Finish. I am literally never going to catch up, which, I guess, means that I will literally always have more Doctor Who.

I keep on top of the monthlies, the Eighth Doctor stories, the Fourth Doctor stories and the occasional interest-catching special (Gallfrey, Benny Summerfield, War Master, UNIT, etc)...and still can't catch up because there's always something new! :haw:

Astroman posted:

:same:

Best time ever to be a Who fan!

Hells yeah!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Yes, we're about to enter the era of the first woman Doctor, I'm sure the fandom is going to be awesome this year!

I mean, fandoms at large are always terrible. Jodie's casting has certainly made them worse than usual, but as long as you avoid cesspits like Gallifrey Base and just stick to the works themselves and chill little spaces like we have here it's certainly good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have decided that as long as I've seen all tv episodes since Rose, I'm up to date enough in the sense that I don't get nagging OCD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

means that I will literally always have more Doctor Who.

Jerusalem posted:

our current happy state of being :)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

All the shittiness of some aspects of fandom will be outweighed by the sheer awesomeness of when we start seeing little girls dressing up as their Doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

All the shittiness of some aspects of fandom will be outweighed by the sheer awesomeness of when we start seeing little girls dressing up as their Doctor.

This has already been a thing for years, I've seen plenty of Girl 10's and 11's but I get your meaning.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not a lot of Twelve, I've noticed
I blame the hiatus

I'm looking forward to Rule 63 of the Thirteenth Doctor just as much as I'm looking forward to Whitaker

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As much as I didn't think Kinda was very good, I really enjoyed the first part of Snakedance. We'll see if it holds up. (I've seen it before but long enough ago that I literally remember nothing about it beyond the basic premise.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Going through Phantasmagoria right now. I will never get tired of Turlough's default setting being WELP CYA. :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chokes McGee posted:

Going through Phantasmagoria right now. I will never get tired of Turlough's default setting being WELP CYA. :allears:

Every one like to think that if they were the Doctor's companion, they'd react like Ace or Rose in a dilemma. I know for a fact that I'd react the same as Turlough.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

Every one like to think that if they were the Doctor's companion, they'd react like Ace or Rose in a dilemma. I know for a fact that I'd react the same as Turlough.

It's even better because Five is the only Doctor who'd let him get away with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/thatcedric/status/996065059649572864

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lol the fake out in Phantasmagoria. “You will OBEY THE MASTER (of this jail cell) for the REGENERATION (of his ship).

Was this originally supposed to be a Master story?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

All according to plan :smug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

So I've just found out that the 1966 Japanese film King Kong Returns features a villain called Dr Who, who happens to look like this. Hmmmm.

I watched this a few months ago and it’s all I could think about.

As an aside, I highly recommend both King King vs Godzilla and King Kong Returns because they are astoundingly bonkers and I love them. Returns especially, the Kong suit just looks so bad and it makes every scene an absolute joy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I look at it like this - the day I die will be the day that I finally finish consuming all available Doctor Who on this planet.

And when I get to Heaven, Saint Peter will be there. "Hello Cobi. We have a high-definition viewing of The Power of the Daleks waiting for you, followed up The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve."

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CobiWann posted:

I look at it like this - the day I die will be the day that I finally finish consuming all available Doctor Who on this planet.

And when I get to Heaven, Saint Peter will be there. "Hello Cobi. We have a high-definition viewing of The Power of the Daleks waiting for you, followed up The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve."

And Saint Peter reveals his face to be that of the best actor who ever interpreted the Doctor.

Peter... Cushing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And Saint Peter reveals his face to be that of the best actor who ever interpreted the Doctor.

Peter... Cushing.

Where's the joke though

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chokes now listening to: Whispers of Terror

God drat, I forgot how much of an rear end in a top hat Six was when he rolled off the assembly line. I'm accidentally falling backwards through his timeline right now and watching him get more and more abrasive with every audio.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I listened to The Diary of River Song 2.1: The Unknown. Well, River meets the Seventh Doctor was always going to be interesting, but sadly this was the bad kind. An incredibly thin plot with a slightly too simple resolution. The captain sounded a hell of a lot like Eight companion, Helen Sinclair, to the point that I thought it was her at first. There’s some really good concepts at play though, and I like the idea that the ship is already crashing, and they’re just unaware.

The overblown theme tune reminds me a lot of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAGsQISLjH8

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 15, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think River and 6 was an absolutely fantastic pairing though, they were both enjoying each other so much :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I think River and 6 was an absolutely fantastic pairing though, they were both enjoying each other so much :allears:

big finish bankrupted as all its scenery is chewed before the third act

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

big finish bankrupted as all its scenery is chewed before the third act

But enough about that time they hired Derek Jacobi

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cheese, wine, and ham are the bread and butter of a good audio

Subject to change depending on the story being told, of course

What makes a good garnish? Salt?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

But enough about that time they hired Derek Jacobi

Big Finish exec: We just ordered an entire year's worth of scenery, and you'll only be here for a few hours.
Jacobi: Scared yet? :smug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AngelCakePics/status/994279108053004289

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s no shirtless TBake

E: I meant CBake but you know what? I’m leaving it. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oh dear oh dear oh dear

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Random, but I really want someone to get recast regularly for BF as 1/2/3 so I can see River inteact with Two.

River: Hello Sweetie :smug:
Two: ...oh crumbs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Random, but I really want someone to get recast regularly for BF as 1/2/3 so I can see River inteact with Two.

"So which wife were you again?"

"...Which?"

"I have at least two."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

They've got David Bradley doing One, Frazier is Two, and Tim Trelor is Three

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"That's it! I've been touched by greatness. I shook his hand, the man made of memes! You know what memes are?"

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I haven’t seen anyone post this in the thread before, I found a video someone made of Matt Smith’s regeneration scene set to Capaldi’s Breaking the Wall theme. I at least think it’s pretty good.

https://youtu.be/D-dIxQK7bkw

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Contest entry coming along nicely! Writing for Six is easier than I thought. I just pick the biggest words I know, and then have him occasionally shout at people for being dumb idiots. This contest's in the bag. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good luck Chokes, I hope you win! :)

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
https://twitter.com/farfromallover/status/997369598906421248

https://twitter.com/EddieRobson/status/997382087530475520

RIP Graham Strong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks to that dude I got to "watch" many episodes that otherwise wouldn't have existed during my lifetime :patriot:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RIP. We're lucky to still be able to enjoy so many otherwise lost stories thanks to his ingenuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RIP Graham, hero archivist.

• Locked thread