Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
F the Prom (The Fine Bros. Movie) - The Search For The Worst - IHE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uEw_sltF-s

This movie sucks.

*binges through 24 hrs of react videos*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

If you are desprate for on topic, I've been hesitanr to post but: Linkara posted the final part of his 500 episode review of Futures End. Link to first part: https://t.co/RXFcUahDoK?amp=1 And It's full of cameos from quite a few of the people he's worked with.
I haven't been able to see the last part, but the first and second parts were fun!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Andrast posted:

I don't think most people who watch his videos even know about it (or alternatively don't care)

Most of the people who watch his videos agree with his political views.

Tired Moritz posted:

arrested for youtube crimes

also, anyone got any recommendations for good silent hill retrospectives?

I'm just going to second this request though, because there don't seem to be too many, if any that I can find. Everyone just talks about dark souls these days.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

Again, I'm not trying to defend Jon. All I meant to say was that apart from the Apu thing, I was under the impression that he had mostly been quiet. There is certainly dumb crap such as this:
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/976123174218813440

A couple of those tweets from Bob are from six years ago, but these are from last month.
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/status/986511253290999809

lol, jon is dumb shite. yeah i am a little mixed sometimes about speech laws but the dude was dumb rear end in a top hat who taught his pug to do nazi poo poo. gently caress him.

on Bob. jesus christ, what happened to him that made him this much a bitter fuckhead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s a nerd that never got over his high school days

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol, jon is dumb shite. yeah i am a little mixed sometimes about speech laws but the dude was dumb rear end in a top hat who taught his pug to do nazi poo poo. gently caress him.

on Bob. jesus christ, what happened to him that made him this much a bitter fuckhead.

Stuffed into his locker one too many times, I guess?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think he'd fit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

He’s a nerd that never got over his high school days

thats loving sad. like i just graduated today and one of the speakers brought up a hawking quote that reminded me of bob. "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge." because thats bob in a nutshell. i mean i didnt have a great high school(stupid drama poo poo) but i don't get how someone can get caught up on that poo poo for loving 10 plus years and then lust for the death of rurals/poor people. i am surprised he isn't liberterian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Congrats on graduating! Now be better than Movie Blob

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Congrats on graduating! Now be better than Movie Blob

thanks. history and Homeland security. i am still sorta worried about what to do now. thinking of americorp or some service thing for now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Morbid Mystery: The Death of Elisa Lam - Ask a Mortician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_if47gEn0w

What Happens to a Body During Cremation? - Ask a Mortician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TSFX-hFgIk

This video is a pretty good introduction to Ask a Mortician for those unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKIyDMaxh4w

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised he isn't liberterian.

He was. essentially still is with progressive brand white paint.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Playstation 4 posted:

He was. essentially still is with progressive brand white paint.

yeah pretty much. he basically just went "woke" Clintononian type. but holy gently caress he has a giant authoritarian streak.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jim Sterling played one of the Demon Rush games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ41J-sGyXs

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao that guy still makes games? how and why!?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MariusLecter posted:

F the Prom (The Fine Bros. Movie) - The Search For The Worst - IHE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uEw_sltF-s

This movie sucks.

*binges through 24 hrs of react videos*

Why is this guy going on about how the Fines are in their thirties? So was Greta Gerwig when she wrote and directed Lady Bird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More often than not, people over 25 don’t know what the hell kids are like today. Lady Bird was set years ago, so it worked, I guess. I didn’t see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I feel real bad for Super 8. Movie had a great cast and none of them did poo poo beside Elle Fanning, who did deserve it the most, I’ll add.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CelticPredator posted:

More often than not, people over 25 don’t know what the hell kids are like today. Lady Bird was set years ago, so it worked, I guess. I didn’t see it.

Way to argue my point there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe I wasn’t arguing your point, but providing context why Alex feels how he feels.

Lady Bird is an exception. F The Prom is more the norm

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Age isn't the problem here. The lack of understanding here can't just be explained away by saying that the people responsible are "old".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Also I feel real bad for Super 8. Movie had a great cast and none of them did poo poo beside Elle Fanning, who did deserve it the most, I’ll add.

Super 8 was a fantastic watch in the moment, but also incredibly forgettable. And that seems to be a recurring flaw in a lot of stuff JJ Abrams helms directly. Like, unless it's something you can't gently caress up like Star Wars, it just has no staying power. It's also been supplanted in the collective culture consciousness by Stranger Things, which did the "A bunch of charismatic as gently caress kids battle weird poo poo in the 80s" thing WAY better.

Like, Super 8 is one of those movies where, if it's on TV when I'm flipping through stuff I won't change the channel away from it, but I don't imagine I'll ever go out of my way to actively ever watch it again. Which is ironic because I just donated a bunch of Blu-Rays and DVDs to the Good Will the other day, and among them was a copy of Super 8.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Spark That Bled posted:

Age isn't the problem here. The lack of understanding here can't just be explained away by saying that the people responsible are "old".

im sorry that youre upset about ageism

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Tired Moritz posted:

im sorry that youre upset about ageism

I'm sorry that you can't be bothered to read what I'm saying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spark That Bled posted:

The movie has things that teenagers do but doesn’t understand why and doesn’t pretend to care.

Because it’s cynical and lazy made by old men who are just trying to get money from a market.

Im saying age is a factor because uh...you do actually lose touch with younger people, and that’s okay.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
In the case of Ladybird, I believe the Gerwig based the film on somewhat on her own experiences (not in that what happened in the film actually occurred in real life, but rather that it's derived from her teenage years). I remember hearing her talk about it on NPR, but I don't remember the details of what she said.

Mind you, I haven't seen Ladybird or watched IHE's video on F the Prom in full. However, I feel confident in saying that Gerwig is probably a better writer than the Fine Brothers who do the '[X] Reacts To [Y]' videos and tried to pull that whole 'React' trademarking thing.

EDIT: I did a quick search, and found the interview in question if anyone is interested: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/582639353/greta-gerwig-takes-on-mother-daughter-love-and-angst-in-lady-bird

I think the reason it caught my attention is because I remember there was some autobiography I was looking at on Amazon that had a similar anecdote about jumping out of a moving car, but for the life of me, I can't remember what is was from. EDIT2: It was from Jenny Lawson's memoir. I just remember reading a snippet from that, then hearing the Gerwig interview on the radio, and I thought it was the same person.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 13, 2018

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
So it isn't just a case of just being too old to write about teenagers, then? Because that is what the review sounded like to me, whenever it hit that button.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spark That Bled posted:

So it isn't just a case of just being too old to write about teenagers, then? Because that is what the review sounded like to me, whenever it hit that button.

no, dude, this isn't that deep.

Gerwig wrote about a period piece using her own experiences to shape it and literally never claimed to be doing some kind of cultural snapshot.

The Fines are 30 year olds who haven't been around prom age kids in ages who are trying to write a hip and trendy modern youth story and failing because they don't know what youth actually is these days.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

sexpig by night posted:

no, dude, this isn't that deep.

Gerwig wrote about a period piece using her own experiences to shape it and literally never claimed to be doing some kind of cultural snapshot.

The Fines are 30 year olds who haven't been around prom age kids in ages who are trying to write a hip and trendy modern youth story and failing because they don't know what youth actually is these days.

So it's only okay if it's a period piece, then? So other good teen films are the same?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

There’s no rule saying what anyone is and isn’t allowed to write about, and I don’t think IHE meant to imply otherwise. The thing is, though, that the further removed a story is from your own experiences, the more research you need to do to make it believable. It’s the same as if you were writing a film set in a country you haven’t lived in, or about a profession you aren’t a part of. The Fine Brothers just weren’t willing to make that extra effort, or they didn’t realize they needed to.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
this is the stupidest debate

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

So it's only okay if it's a period piece, then? So other good teen films are the same?

That's a read I guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Morbid Mystery: The Death of Elisa Lam - Ask a Mortician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_if47gEn0w

What Happens to a Body During Cremation? - Ask a Mortician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TSFX-hFgIk

This video is a pretty good introduction to Ask a Mortician for those unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKIyDMaxh4w

Welp found a great new channel. Thanks.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tired Moritz posted:

this is the stupidest debate

Remember the time we were arguing over wether books existed in Star Wars?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KayTee posted:

I'm still angry this happened.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
the absence of BofL has created a power vacuum of the absolutely lamest takes

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Welp found a great new channel. Thanks.

She's super insightful and funny to boot. You should check out her books, too: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (about being a mortician) and From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death (about death and burial practices in cultures around the world). Saw her do a talk last year while promoting her second book and it was excellent.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

KayTee posted:

well it's star wars so I'm not surprised. did not expect someone to stan over the fine bros just because someone made a comment about them being too old to write good teen movies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dean of Swing posted:

My favorite gaming youtuber just posted a video on the bear meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYk2i070I2I

The dinosaur-aficionados here may be interested in his analysis of past game patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yY9HKVmfA

Personally I think game was better back when therapsids were a viable build.

This is a very fun channel and an interesting way to tell people about biology and stuff, but it annoys me that the basic concept is that some animals can be considered 'Better' than others since that's certainly not how it works in nature or how biologists think about it. I hope it doesn't mislead some people watching, ie he has video on cats where Lions are 'Higher tier' than Cougars, which is a bit suspect most ways you slice it since Cougars are certainly in a better position right now than Lions are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Tired Moritz posted:

well it's star wars so I'm not surprised. did not expect someone to stan over the fine bros just because someone made a comment about them being too old to write good teen movies.

I didn't expect somebody to think I was stanning over the Fine Bros.