Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Filthy Monkey posted:

Does all the hit to crit stuff stack? I was thinking about a hearth orlan devoted/sharpshooter specializing in warbows. Devoted gets the extra critical damage too.

Hearth Orlan - 10% hits to crits when attacking an enemy threatened by another party member
Sharpshooter - 15% hits to crits
Disciplined Strikes - 25% hits to crits

That is 50% hit to crit right there if they are additive.

If you used a pistol I think you could pick up one-handed style for another 20% hits to crits? Not sure I want to use pistols over frostseeker though.

They stack, but not additively. Each chance is rolled separately, so there are diminishing returns. Also, remember that the hit range is only fifty points of the attack role, so your first 20% hit to crit is actually "only" a 10% increased effective crit rate overall, assuming you have over a 50% and under a 75% chance to hit. In your example, you would actually convert 42.625% of hits to crits, assuming you're in the accuracy range mentioned, meaning hit to crit would increase your crit rate by 21%.

This means stacking accuracy is probably better than stacking hit to crit, but accuracy is hard to stack.

Urthor posted:

Well my other weapon does https://i.imgur.com/4VpghEp.jpg and an AOE attack on every crit is a whole lot of AOE. Modwyr really only gives a nice ability once per combat and an immunity to intelligence afflictions.

If there's other on crit weapons though that'd be neat to know about them

There's a spear that can be upgraded to give a 33% chance to eliminate recovery on scoring a crit. Probably not much on its own, but it should stack in really funny ways with the monk critical flurry abilities.

By the way, has anyone who's played a monk to a high level noticed how swift flurry and heartbeat drumming stack? I assume they roll separately and aren't additive, but what I don't know is whether both can proc at the same time for a chance to swing again twice after scoring a crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Accretionist posted:

It took me a couple battles to realize that the best minigame strategy is...

Fire - Jib - Fire - Jib - Fire - [Repeat]

The AI wastes a lot of turns. And movement while parallel does nothing. You'll be firing every other round while they're wasting like 2/3 of their actions.

alcaras posted:

Fire - Jib - Hold (to remove the -30% Jib penalty) - Fire - Jib - Hold - Fire

Bracing seems to work as well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

precision posted:

And also I'm a bit sick of straight people who try to say they're not pieces of poo poo because they're thinking of the nonstraight players. Like yo, we can speak for ourselves.

Indeed we can. And I'm saying that it's poor writing when you can't diversify all aspects of a group of people.

It's a nitpick, and the people who are being legit phobic are assholes, but there's quite a few people in that group that YOU BROUGHT UP that aren't actually phobic and just think it's poor writing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Eder, five minutes after picking up Xoti: This idiot is too religious, I can't deal with this, we will NEVER be friends

Eder, every single time Xoti talks: [Eothas] :thumbsup:
*Watcher begins burying the bodies of a killed expedition in the wilderness, in accordance with religious expectation*

*Eder chuckles softly*
*Xoti hides a blush*

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Brace will remove the penalty but Hold gives you a accuracy bonus, once your cannoneers are levelled up a bit you don't need the bonus as much though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well, Xoti’s companion quest journal entry just spoiled the endgame plot

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Where's the Vanguard ship for Eder's plot? It just said sail north and I got nothing.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Thank God I killed her and her crazy street people holding church in the middle of the sidewalk.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey, if anyone is good at doing the watercolor bits, could someone help me update my PoE1 watcher? I'm using a pretty cool painting of our favorite kingslayer for my paladin.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m level 14 and the only soulbound weapon that I have found is the talking sword, do they come later or does anyone have some hints where I can find some?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Oh game, it's like you know why I picked this subclass.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There’s a dagger in the Poko Kahara, you have to blast some barrels near a weak wall to reach it

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I keep thinking about making a evoker wizard and I keep thinking it's a poor idea. But a part of me really wants to. But they lose conjuration and transmutation which is like 60% of all wizard spells.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

I keep thinking about making a evoker wizard and I keep thinking it's a poor idea. But a part of me really wants to. But they lose conjuration and transmutation which is like 60% of all wizard spells.

But think about how much easier it will be to choose grimoires and spells!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm real bad at combat in this game. It's hard to even see where everybody is during a fight without hovering your cursor over them -- the character models don't look very distinctive.

Then there are the skills. My main character is a Rogue/Cipher and he just gets beaten to poo poo every time in a normal fight. He's supposed to sneak attack, but that aggros everybody and my tank Eder hasn't learned any skills to draw aggro away. I have no clue how to use wizard Aloth -- nearly everything causes friendly fire. I got Seraphen not very long ago and I'm also clueless about how a battle axe + gun combo works together at all

Also you can't actually change the attributes of any of your characters during level-up so unless you want to use hired mercenaries, you're just kinda stuck with the pre-configured companions you get.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Dumb question:

If I'm resupply my ship with cannonballs, if I buy a stack of 200 cannon balls... and can only carry 200 cannon balls... where do the extra cannon balls go? It seems like I'm still being charged for them (i.e. I am buying 200), but as soon as I fire a volley of cannon balls I'm at 195/200 instead of resupplying from my inventory.

Do you need to just buy up to your limit? Are the extras just thrown away?

This seems to be happening with Repair Supplies and Medicine too.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Basic Chunnel posted:

When did you get this quest? After Hasongo, Rymrgand's commentary is pretty revealing about what Eothas' goal is. I should say I haven't gotten any further in the plot than this.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'm real bad at combat in this game. It's hard to even see where everybody is during a fight without hovering your cursor over them -- the character models don't look very distinctive.

Then there are the skills. My main character is a Rogue/Cipher and he just gets beaten to poo poo every time in a normal fight. He's supposed to sneak attack, but that aggros everybody and my tank Eder hasn't learned any skills to draw aggro away. I have no clue how to use wizard Aloth -- nearly everything causes friendly fire. I got Seraphen not very long ago and I'm also clueless about how a battle axe + gun combo works together at all

Also you can't actually change the attributes of any of your characters during level-up so unless you want to use hired mercenaries, you're just kinda stuck with the pre-configured companions you get.

You can change stuff by "retraining" at an inn, I'm not sure if attributes are included but you can definitely change their abilities. Most of their stat arrangements are good enough for not PotD, and if you're doing PotD you are probably making a custom team immediately anyway. You should only aggro anything you hit, the rest should stay on Eder if they've already hit him when they come out of stealth. Otherwise put Eder in front (just pick up his tile on the bottom and move it to the front if you don't want to make a custom order). You should put some armor on your rogue cipher if you're finding that you go down to easily, cloth and light armor are only good if you're not going to die without real armor.

When you have Melee+ranged, you fire the pistol until something walks into melee then swing the axe. If the pistol was loaded, you'll fire that shot as well then just do axe attacks. This is good because it works with two handed style, and you won't swing the pistol, so you attack really fast with your main weapon. You will either have to make a custom AI script or manually walk into melee range, though, or the game will continue to shoot/reload until you are engaged. Don't do his multiclass (in fact, don't multiclass if you don't understand the game very well, except Eder because fighter/rogue does a ton of damage AND has a bunch of survivability).

As for Aloth, pick spells manually or make custom AI scripts. Mine Aloth is ten, and my casting order usually goes - tentacles in between ranged/enemy line, fireballs at the largest enemy cluster, the level 5 ice beam spell at whatever is biggest/scariest, magic missile at what's left. When you drop AoE's, the red part will effect ANYTHING under it, and the yellow part will only effect enemies. If you are properly engaging, you can dump the red area on your enemies and the yellow on your allies and will usually catch anything still sneaking around. Manaully aiming AoE's takes some getting used to, but it gets pretty easy once you've done it enough. Watch out for exploding barrels/gunpowder cache's, though, because their responding explosion AoE's don't get a warning circle. I've cooked people more than once on accident that way.

If you are having tons of trouble with spells, most priest spells either don't hurt friendly characters OR aid them while harming enemies. Also playing a Priest of Berath seems to have the most dialogue options, and Xoti's kind of annoying, so you may want to just play a priest.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Vegetable posted:

One of the most common mistakes new players make is putting Eder in full plate with the biggest shield they can find and then wonder why the enemy team ignores the guy who grazes them for 5 damage every 10 seconds.
Give Eder 2 sabers and medium armor and have him spam his rogue special attacks. Since they are full attacks, he'll use both his sabers to deal huge damage and get some pressure off your squishies.
If you kept Eder as a pure warrior, either give him lighter armor or give him more offensive weaponry to make him a threat.

Anyway, I finished the game, better than PoE I in some aspects, worse in others. Main quest is pretty bad and combat balance is a complete joke right now. I know ropekid said they're going to patch it, but it still makes for a bad first experience when you can just right click everything to death past level 8 or so on PotD (with complete upscaling on, even though it clearly doesn't do anything). I really hope they'll improve on this because the combat system in itself has a lot of potential and I like most of what the game has to offer.

quote:

You can change stuff by "retraining" at an inn, I'm not sure if attributes are included but you can definitely change their abilities. Most of their stat arrangements are good enough for not PotD, and if you're doing PotD you are probably making a custom team immediately anyway. You should only aggro anything you hit, the rest should stay on Eder if they've already hit him when they come out of stealth. Otherwise put Eder in front (just pick up his tile on the bottom and move it to the front if you don't want to make a custom order). You should put some armor on your rogue cipher if you're finding that you go down to easily, cloth and light armor are only good if you're not going to die without real armor.

Don't retrain the main character until they patch the issue where you sometimes lose your special story-related abilities and training perks if you retrain him.
Or just quicksave beforehand I guess :v:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 13, 2018

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

pmchem posted:

I was looking for POE2 reviews/comments and found something so surprising I don't even know what to think. I was pondering buying POE2, but I usually wait for steam sales and all DLC to be released; I have a gaming backlog. So while looking at reviews I decided to go to rpgcodex because I've enjoyed some of their "top 50" style RPG lists and discussions in the past. Years ago.

I found their POE2 release discussion thread and starting reading around page 3. I don't feel like I can even link it in good faith because some comments are so ugly. The majority of posts aren't talking about quests, or bugs, or combat, or anything I usually associate with RPG reviews. Instead, the comments are about "SJW" writing, lesbian characters in game, minority characters in game, how many blacksmiths are women, bathhouse dicks, and random ethnic group comments. Their posts have tags like "cuck".

Just ... what happened to the nerd community? I can't even imagine comments like this being so pervasive in discussion of other big-name RPGs, or, maybe I've been too busy to pay attention? I mean, the writing in POE2 isn't so far off the norm that it actually affects story and immersion, right? That seems hard to believe.

I am probably going to just buy an obsidian edition of the game now because I know I'll play it eventually anyway and it feels like a show of support for the game against a toxic community.

hello, let me welcome you back to the internet. it must have been hard avoiding online "culture" for the past eight years but I'm totally sure it was worth it and a little sad you decided to come back. Anyway, let me get you up to speed on the internet these days. Basically, you have two choices. You can decide that using a gendered pronoun on someone who presents as traditionally gendered without asking them first is the moral equivalent of murder, or you can decide that a creator including a single racial or sexual minorities in any work of media, regardless of the context, is the moral equivalent of murder.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Remember btw that you can do stuff like spend all your money to make scrolls or enchanting for unlocking achievements then just reload a save and keep all your money. Once it's unlocked it stays unlocked.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Anyone know where to get Primal Water? I need it for a few upgrades but I haven't seen any in shops or from enemies.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I've got two issues and I don't know whether they are working as intended or current bugs.

I set the scaling to 'cricital only' but I can't see any difficulty indicators on any quest I pick up in Nekhetata, other than list them in order of difficulty. I attempted Bertath's temple quest to find the scripture macguffin in the Sepulcher and at Level 7 it had no difficulty markers on it. I was able to down one enemy on a 5 on 1 fight and he dropped exceptional equipment, and then got stomped in the next area, and considering I barely have any fine equipment I assumed that this is a higher level than I'm equipped to deal with. Am I just being pathetic at questing, or should it have some of those skull things next to it to indicate difficulty?

Also, I think it's been mentioned before, but the companion fights seem to fire super early. I picked up Pellegina and after leaving the palace just conversed with her once, which resulted in one minus Xoti check for making an anti-religious statement, and as soon as I ended the conversation it fired up the 'It's them or me' script for the two of them. Are they particularly supposed to be this firey? The conversation was along the lines of Xoti complaining that she had enough of Pellegina's blasphemous statements and was tired of bottling it up for so long, but it was literally an in-game hour.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The companion / conversation alignments seem super out of wack in general. You say one diplomatic thing and suddenly you are diplomatic forever. Also like Maia wanting to jump in your bed as soon as you leave the palace. The conversation stats might be working as designed but it's not well balanced as is. The companions might just be bugged. A lot of people have been complaining about it.

I'm not sure who in the thread said it but really conversation stats should be on an axis not you can be all of them at once. Right now you can be max shady and max honest which feels wrong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MartianAgitator posted:

Minoletta's Magnanimous Moneymaker - +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy, +10% global shop discount. A crossbow that fires Minoletta's Magic Missiles. Use on an ally to gain +1 relationship point.

Iron Bow - war bow that Immobilizes on crit. It shoots enemies' shadow, giving them a chill over their heart (Frost Lash), and sometimes pinning their shadow so they can't move.

Justiciar's Pistol - does little damage but interrupts 25% of the time - you shoot the weapon out of their hand, cowboy style. Casts 3/rest Withdraw (like ducking for cover).

The Mana Twig - Wand that grants empowered attacks +2 penetration, gains +3% recovery for every point of Metaphysics, user constantly under Woodskin

Spineglass - a magically vitrified sea urchin spine. Stiletto. Deals raw damage over time (poison), Sickens on crit, can be used to cast Touch of Death once and then breaks.

Arc of Heaven - Rainbow-y battleax. Dazes on hit, casts Wall of Many Colors 1/rest, +10% fire, water, electricity damage (each).

My game just bugged and I can't go back into Neketaka, so I could make a million of these just to get my Pillars fix. But this probably isn't the place. Start a Google doc?

These are great

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Are there any easy ways to buff your mechanics to 10-11 by the time you clear Arkemyr's mansion?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure who in the thread said it but really conversation stats should be on an axis not you can be all of them at once. Right now you can be max shady and max honest which feels wrong.

Look he's a skeez but drat it at least he's straight up about it with you.

The annoying thing about shadiness is that you sometimes will get it without forewarning by doing certain things in conversations (assuming you have notifications on). This can be super annoying for certain breeds of paladins and priests in particular and should be tweaked, in my opinion.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I went ahead and made that evocation wizard. I wish this game had more complete stat listings for a lot of things. For example it says evocation wizards cast evocation spells at a higher power level. It doesn't say how much higher though. Turns out its +1. I feel like they should just say that.

It would be nice to know what in a spell is effected by power level globally too. If my spell is doing 10 extra damage from me being higher level it should tell me that even before I buy the spell. A lot of stuff leaves the player guessing. Same for ability descriptions for things like weapon buffs. Does a pistol count as a 1 handed weapon for those abilities? Does a monk fist count as two weapons? There's a lot of edge cases that you have no way of knowing in game that one line of text in a description could clear up.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I think the numbers might could use a tuning pass, but I think most dispositions work better as a duality. Someone could be extremely rational about certain subjects due to education/training/intellectual interest but passionate about others due to background/emotions/personal experiences. Shady/Honest might be an outlier, but I think the concept fits the shades of gray in the series. There's a pretty good explanation from Serafen - he describes his mentor as not an honest person, then says he's still honorable and provides proof.

While there are some imperfections, I prefer the flexibility over something like Mass Effect where cleaving to one behavior is heavily encouraged and max Paragon or Renegade is always optimal (also because dispositions are sometimes traps). Think I'd prefer iteration over dramatic change. I'd be okay with being proven wrong; I used to prefer Paragon/Renegade and Alpha Protocol hosed me up the first time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah man, I might have to bench Aloth for a lot of the game because Maia as a Geomancer is just so :discourse:

I could just roll with 2 fighters and 3 casters I guess (and one of those fighters being a fighter/caster) :supaburn:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

isk posted:

I think the numbers might could use a tuning pass, but I think most dispositions work better as a duality. Someone could be extremely rational about certain subjects due to education/training/intellectual interest but passionate about others due to background/emotions/personal experiences. Shady/Honest might be an outlier, but I think the concept fits the shades of gray in the series. There's a pretty good explanation from Serafen - he describes his mentor as not an honest person, then says he's still honorable and provides proof.

While there are some imperfections, I prefer the flexibility over something like Mass Effect where cleaving to one behavior is heavily encouraged and max Paragon or Renegade is always optimal (also because dispositions are sometimes traps). Think I'd prefer iteration over dramatic change. I'd be okay with being proven wrong; I used to prefer Paragon/Renegade and Alpha Protocol hosed me up the first time.

One thing I liked about Dragon Age was they just got rid of all that poo poo. You still had dispositions, but they weren't tracked over time. That way you could roleplay as someone whose changed over the course of a journey, a bipolar person, or just pick the option that you always go with. NPCs still reacted to your past, but it was your past choices rather than scores.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Free Triangle posted:

Are there any easy ways to buff your mechanics to 10-11 by the time you clear Arkemyr's mansion?

I just focused on pumping it on one character; Ydwin or Serafin, and used them throughout it. Easy.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

2house2fly posted:

I think the romances will be unsatisfying because the companions are all weird looking.

Serafen: hideous blue rat man
Maia: looks like a loving dinosaur. Ten feet tall
Tekehu: buff and moist, which helps, but he's a shark man

tjis game would easily get $20,000+ a month on Patreon

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

tjis game would easily get $20,000+ a month on Patreon

Monster Prom is already a great game.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

One thing I liked about Dragon Age was they just got rid of all that poo poo. You still had dispositions, but they weren't tracked over time. That way you could roleplay as someone whose changed over the course of a journey, a bipolar person, or just pick the option that you always go with. NPCs still reacted to your past, but it was your past choices rather than scores.
I think I agree with this.

The disposition system could be improved from what it is now. You just have to say something shady a few times and you'll have a permanent score that others will react to even if the other dispositions are far more common.

An alternative to removing them entirely would be making them percentage based. So you're known as 35% diplomatic, 20% honest, etc. There could be a threshold where certain kinds of choices would not be responded to by NPC's if its rare enough.

Also, track the time that each disposition point is added and have older ones be removed from the total. You could even do some weighting where big story-affecting decisions will have a much stronger impact than minor ones.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, you can finish it with her happy. Make sure a duelist doesn't die, then convince the two heads of the families to have a sit down. It's just some dialogue checks and running between them. You can negotiate a deal where the rich family repairs the other family's ships if they leave town to protect trade lanes. You still get the reward items from both families. You can even progress both plots for a payout until you reach the moment of truth and decide it's best for them to talk it out.

I actually had a serious problem here that left it in limbo - I first got them to agree to meet up and talk but decided I'd do a few sidequests in case it was required for the talks to succeed - so first, I did the quest from the Bardatto to intimidate the rival privateers as it didn't seem to be likely to offend the other family, then I investigated the Bardatto plot to break into the Valera vaults, found the guard and killed him because he attacked me, but let the Bardatto daughter run back home, then when I went and told the Valera mother about the plot to break into their vaults ,she said she was setting up a trap - when I asked her about diplomacy with the Bardatto she brushed me off.. until I closed the conversation, opened it, and used a different dialogue option which was obviously related to the earlier agreement for diplomacy I made - the one from the vault quest assumes you hadn't made that agreement. After I clicked this, they had the meetings, made peace, and then whenever I visited the Bardatto family, time has rewound and they are arguing that their daughter was caught in the Valera's trap, and if I agree to help get her back, thinking I'll talk with the Valera, they attack me on sight - if I refuse to help them, the Bardatto attack me. If I go to the VALERA first, then THEY attack me if I refuse to go help kill bardatto, or alternatively just the quest refuses to progress. So, I can't actually finish the quest from either of them or actually tal kto any of them ever again, so hopefully there are no more quests!

Also on a totally different note, I've heard that companions can leave you - I'm afraid of using Maia if she's gunna leave me the moment I pick one of the other factions - will this always happen or can I win her over?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2018

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Does anyone know of any dialogue loops for positive companion dispositions? I found one for Maia in the palace somewhere, but everyone else is still at 0 even after a bunch of playtime and it frustrates me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Skanker posted:

Does anyone know of any dialogue loops for positive companion dispositions? I found one for Maia in the palace somewhere, but everyone else is still at 0 even after a bunch of playtime and it frustrates me.

Kahn in the Wild Mare has a loop that gives you positives for Lighthearted (Eder, Xoti, Tekehu, maybe Serafen?).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Also on a totally different note, I've heard that companions can leave you - I'm afraid of using Maia if she's gunna leave me the moment I pick one of the other factions - will this always happen or can I win her over?

Maybe, didn't happen to me. The only one that I've seen is (Act III/faction endgame) Pallegina bailing when I chose the Huana, but this was resolved by temporarily removing her from the party when poo poo went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
If anyone is interested in getting that soulbound pollaxe, it can be found here:

In a shipwreck moored on the island.

Binds to Fighter, Barbarian, Druid... there go my plans to give it to Pellagina, FML.