Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halo and many other popular game franchises at that point in time were heavily, heavily inspired by the Matrix and all sought to establish that deep lore universe within their own IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea posted:

Halo and many other popular game franchises at that point in time were heavily, heavily inspired by the Matrix and all sought to establish that deep lore universe within their own IPs.

That's a bit of a stretch

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's not, everything from the year 1999-2006 cribbed off The Matrix.

It redefined gun fights, fists fights, and what is considered the acceptable level or mind-bending lore that audiences could handle.

We're talking about a movie where people had to be explained to about what the Matrix itself actually was.

Then the next two movies came out and launched with The Animatrix, which had people logging onto various sites to view.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DariusLikewise posted:

The original trilogy of Halo had a decent story, the issue was is you to completely immerse your self in every hidden terminal message, novel and blog post Bungie put out to understand it.

This is exactly how 90% of game stories should be. Minus the novels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beastie posted:

It's not

It is. Bungie was pulling that sort of bullshit all throughout their earlier Marathon FPS series on the Mac. There's even direct links between the stories of the two series because of that.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Since State of Decay 2 is less than 15 days away from release, I started a thread for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856232

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

imho, the souls series does this. I think Dark Souls 3 probably did this the worst, as its story was not as good as Bloodborne or even Dark Souls 1. But yeah, you can get as much or as little story as you want with those games, and if you want a lot you can go deeeep down the rabbit hole.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Burnout revenge is now backwards compatible on Xbox one.

Here's hoping takedown will be next in the future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rumors that nier automata port is coming soon. Phil games spencer bringing the heat this e3

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Real hurthling! posted:

Rumors that nier automata port is coming soon. Phil games spencer bringing the heat this e3

This would be cool. Persona 5 would be even cooler.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Last year’s Playstation games IS actually an upgrade in offerings.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I couldn't disagree more. Horizon Zero Dawn was maybe the only game that made looking for recordings interesting - usually I hate trying to find the story, and won't. I didn't read a single grimoire card after like 300 hours of Destiny. If it's important, put it in the game's main story, or it doesn't exist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

A year late but, sure, good games should be played by more people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I couldn't disagree more. Horizon Zero Dawn was maybe the only game that made looking for recordings interesting - usually I hate trying to find the story, and won't. I didn't read a single grimoire card after like 300 hours of Destiny. If it's important, put it in the game's main story, or it doesn't exist.

I think it works in stuff like Dark Souls because the game sets up enough atmosphere and has enough visual story telling to suck you in, and even if you skip it you are left with something interesting.

Otherwise I agree. I sought out all the extra lore stuff in Horizon because the story made me want to know more and it therefore felt rewarding to find. To this day I couldn't tell you what Destiny is even about because they did the most piss poor job of telling a story I've ever seen in a game "check out this generic sci fi poo poo that makes no sense. there's a fuckin wiki if you want to know more" no, Destiny I don't want to know more.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Destiny is an odd one because they hosed up the development and had to scrap the story and then add in the story via grimoire cards later as there was no time to do cutscenes.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I would love to play Nioh Automata in my xbone x

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I think it works in stuff like Dark Souls because the game sets up enough atmosphere and has enough visual story telling to suck you in, and even if you skip it you are left with something interesting.

Otherwise I agree. I sought out all the extra lore stuff in Horizon because the story made me want to know more and it therefore felt rewarding to find. To this day I couldn't tell you what Destiny is even about because they did the most piss poor job of telling a story I've ever seen in a game "check out this generic sci fi poo poo that makes no sense. there's a fuckin wiki if you want to know more" no, Destiny I don't want to know more.
Which is a shame because the lore in Destiny was actually pretty good, particularly in the final two years. They really went to some good weird sci-fi places.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah theres some cool stuff in the grimoire cards if you ever take the time to read them

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I couldn't disagree more....usually I hate trying to find the story, and won't. I didn't read a single grimoire card after like 300 hours of Destiny

Sounds like you could disagree more seeing as we are in total agreement :confused:

90% means for every one HZD there's nine other games that would be better off shoving their dumb stories into a sweaty little corner for superfans to go enjoy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Homefront the Revolution is an FPS open world game with unskippable cutscenes and boy howdy will you wish you could skip them from the very moment you hit play.

The opening cutscene is alternate history stretching back to the 70s to make “north korea conquers america” make even an inkling of sense instead of just showing you a title card reading “Everytime we say North Korea we mean China. Sorry for the inconvenience”

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 9, 2018

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I've decided I must be mental.

I'm subscribed to Gold, EA access and game pass.

Even more strange is that I think I'm getting a good deal out of it. I'm playing enough games that I'm spending less at game stores.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Awesome! posted:

yeah theres some cool stuff in the grimoire cards if you ever take the time to read them

Yeah I think those were all from the cool story that whatshisface came up with that Luke Smith or whoever decided was dumb and wanted removed from the game.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Tsietisin posted:

I've decided I must be mental.

I'm subscribed to Gold, EA access and game pass.

Even more strange is that I think I'm getting a good deal out of it. I'm playing enough games that I'm spending less at game stores.

EA pass is surprisingly good. I signed up for it the other day and I’m even having fun with games that kind of flopped like 2015s need for speed.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Top Gun posted:

EA pass is surprisingly good. I signed up for it the other day and I’m even having fun with games that kind of flopped like 2015s need for speed.

2015 Need for Speed is a little bit underrated. I had fun with it back when there was a decent multiplayer population. I wish there were a more fleshed out version with a lot more vehicle gadgets and weapons, like a modern Interstate '76.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Finster Dexter posted:

a modern Interstate '76.

Any time I start wishing for this, I realize what they'd do with it and put the thought out of my head

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I buy a Xbox one x

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

How much money do you have, how good are you at waiting until 2020, and if called upon would you punch someone who disparaged panzer dragoon orta right in their sincursed face?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mine makes a great Netflix player and Xbox 360.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we need a pros and cons list

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s my fear I already have a Xbox one s but since all I okay is original Xbox and 360 games I wonder f its worth the upgrade

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That’s my fear I already have a Xbox one s but since all I okay is original Xbox and 360 games I wonder f its worth the upgrade

Nope.

The only real benefit is upscaling original xbox games and better performance in others but with 2020 approaching its probably not a good move unless money is inconsequential

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's happening in 2020?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

What's happening in 2020?

Probably a new console generation, based on the average 6-7 year cycle

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the XBox 420 is anything more than a proprietary Win10 machine then I will be shocked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve Yun posted:

Probably a new console generation, based on the average 6-7 year cycle

Xbonx is the new generation. Unless they change their mind, it seems that xboxes will play games for the next two "generations" and then become unsupported. Newer consoles will play older games.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Barudak posted:

Homefront the Revolution is an FPS open world game with unskippable cutscenes and boy howdy will you wish you could skip them from the very moment you hit play.

The opening cutscene is alternate history stretching back to the 70s to make “north korea conquers america” make even an inkling of sense instead of just showing you a title card reading “Everytime we say North Korea we mean China. Sorry for the inconvenience”

Maybe Kim will ask for that game to disappear as part of negotiations, saving the world from a disaster worse than nuclear war.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe Kim will ask for that game to disappear as part of negotiations, saving the world from a disaster worse than nuclear war.

I'm sure he loves it because it makes NK seem powerful and not a third world country.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Cojawfee posted:

Xbonx is the new generation. Unless they change their mind, it seems that xboxes will play games for the next two "generations" and then become unsupported. Newer consoles will play older games.

If Sony does a PS5 next year like everyone expects them to Microsoft will undoubtedly do a new console. What is the motivational factor behind buying the Xbonx if it's not the most powerful console anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've heard slightly rumors of a new PlayStation announcement for E3. I want to say that is super unlikely but I said the same thing about the PS4 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

trash person posted:

If Sony does a PS5 next year like everyone expects them to Microsoft will undoubtedly do a new console. What is the motivational factor behind buying the Xbonx if it's not the most powerful console anymore.

How well has the Xbox One X sold?