Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

trash person posted:

If Sony does a PS5 next year like everyone expects them to Microsoft will undoubtedly do a new console. What is the motivational factor behind buying the Xbonx if it's not the most powerful console anymore.

Next year? I don't think so. 2020 would fall in line with other console cycles and none of those had a mid cycle update. Given that, it would be weird to cut this cycle even shorter.

I said come in! posted:

I've heard slightly rumors of a new PlayStation announcement for E3. I want to say that is super unlikely but I said the same thing about the PS4 Pro.

True. I guess it's not impossible. Seems unnecessary though. Last gen the consoles were so dated people were dying for a new one. The current ones feel fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps5 is not coming before 2019 and even then unlikely. Jason schreier did a big story recently and his whole network of leakers and informants were apparently united in saying nothing was imminent or even close to being imminent. 1x did not change ps4 sales trajectory in any way. The market has given them the mandate to stay with the 4 for a while.

Dev kits with absurd system specs are likely in the wild tho. Sony would probably try to make a big software splash at launch with knack 3

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I've heard slightly rumors of a new PlayStation announcement for E3. I want to say that is super unlikely but I said the same thing about the PS4 Pro.

Shawn Layden has already stated they won't announce new hardware this year. And people that are well-connected seem to think 2019 is unlikely as well, but at least more probable.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The PS4 Pro hasn't even been out long enough to justify a brand new console, what are people thinking?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I were a betting man I'd throw my $$ on Xmas 2020 for both new consoles. I'd also bet on MS switching directions in some significant way as to not to try and continue to compete with Sony head to head. Could be wrong about that though.

RBX posted:

The PS4 Pro hasn't even been out long enough to justify a brand new console, what are people thinking?

I agree, but I don't think the Pro or Xbonx are meant to last a full 7 year cycle. It's going to happen sooner than later just not 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBX posted:

6 year cycle instead of 7 year seems to be it, really.

Enough that Sony had to say they wouldnt be showing off new hardware at E3 which is, as you know, code for “Well be showing off new hardware at E3”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony wont do it at e3 theyll hold another playstation meeting when the time comes

veni veni veni posted:

If I were a betting man I'd throw my $$ on Xmas 2020 for both new consoles. I'd also bet on MS switching directions in some significant way as to not to try and continue to compete with Sony head to head. Could be wrong about that though.

I agree, but I don't think the Pro or Xbonx are meant to last a full 7 year cycle. It's going to happen sooner than later just not 2019

Xbox is gonna try to get its services on more platforms but will still need a box until/unless they manage to get gamepass onto switch or playstation which seems quite unlikely at the moment.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Build some kind of PlayStation Now-like streaming into GamePass, make it work on PC, put it on any other platform that will have them. Play your god drat Xbox games on a Roku

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TheScott2K posted:

Build some kind of PlayStation Now-like streaming into GamePass, make it work on PC, put it on any other platform that will have them. Play your god drat Xbox games on a Roku

This type of scheme has failed multiple times now. Probably the ideal thing to do if you're planning on burying the gaming division.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBX posted:

That was the case with the regular PS4, and the Pro still happened.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RBX posted:

Those are mid season upgrades, not the start of a new one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps5 is not coming before 2019 and even then unlikely. Jason schreier did a big story recently and his whole network of leakers and informants were apparently united in saying nothing was imminent or even close to being imminent. 1x did not change ps4 sales trajectory in any way. The market has given them the mandate to stay with the 4 for a while.

Dev kits with absurd system specs are likely in the wild tho. Sony would probably try to make a big software splash at launch with knack 3

Yeah the main thing is like, there just isn't the right new hardware available to be sure Sony/Microsoft can slap it in yet and be ready for production right away.

But since both Sony and Microsoft are interested in maintaining backwards compatibility at least with this gen, it makes sense there'd be higher specced dev boxes floating around as they iterate their way to a new architecture that can count as a next gen.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are mid season upgrades, not the start of a new one

Which is the first time they've ever done this. How many people do you think even have one? 4K hasn't penetrated yet and the next consoles whole gimmick will be just that. Ignoring 4k have they done all they can do on the current consoles?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RBX posted:

Which is the first time they've ever done this. How many people do you think even have one? 4K hasn't penetrated yet and the next consoles whole gimmick will be just that. Ignoring 4k have they done all they can do on the current consoles?

4k is a red herring just like full 1080p was a red herring on the 360/ps3 and having hd at all was a red herring on the Xbox and PS2.

Most people can't see the top end resolution at all because they lack the equipment, but it doesn't come off as easy in advertising to say "by the way the lower res you do have runs a lot better".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We're a long loving way from meaningful hardware jumps from the Xbox One X, even allowing for a $599 console. Xbox 360/PS3 to Xbox One/PS4 was a massive CPU power increase along with more cores and 16 times the RAM. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are close enough to the base models that I don't think you could really make a game that somehow leveraged the relatively-small power difference without also working on the base models even if you wanted to. Not to mention that despite the huge power difference from last gen, most current-gen games aren't exactly leaps and bounds changes from the previous generation, to the point where a lot of games which bothered to try were able to make serviceable versions on the last gen systems and/or the much lower powered Nintendo Switch. We don't even have PC games that have bonkers-level system requirements like what Crysis 1 was when it launched, we don't have any games which require >8 gigs of RAM yet when prior to the PS4/XB1 being announced PC games were expecting you to have 4 gigs of RAM when the PS3/360 only had 512 megs to work with.

And 4K is somewhat of a moot point due to far more difficulty appreciating the resolution difference at that point. If some new console that can do 4K60 comes out, are its games not also going to be capable of at least 1080p60 on a PS4 Pro/Bone X?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If they do it any time soon it's just going to seem forced. Technology doesn't seem to move nearly as fast as it did a decade ago. Like, at the end of the 360/PS3 life cycle both systems were archaic. Even the original PS4 and Xbone hold up much better in 2018 and they both have more powerful options available already. I think a PS5/ Xbox 0 right now would seem pretty unimpressive and people would wonder why they should be upgrading. They could push better frame rates and that's about it. Games look so loving good right now how appealing is a little performance bump even going to be to the average person?

The only thing that would get me excited for new consoles would be a big VR push, and at this point in time that would probably be commercial suicide since VR hasn't even fully caught on yet and I don't think either company wants to touch MS's proprietary Kinect move again with a ten foot pole. I do very much hope at least Sony keeps VR in mind with the next wave though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd be really surprised if any next-gen console targets 4k 60fps. The hardware needed for that level of performance is limited + hella expensive on PC and most console owners are used to the locked 30fps standard by now. Sony and MS would have to actually spend money on a halfway-decent CPU this time around.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

They'd have to spend massive amounts on a GPU too, it's a pretty bad time to be planning a new console.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The one wrinkle in all this is that cryptocurrency mining has driven GPU prices through the loving roof, so console manufacturers who typically buy integrated boards from AMD/Nvidia might be able to offer next-gen systems competitive with the midrange market for PC owners trying to build their own gaming rig. Assuming bitcoin doesn't just completely implode and crash prices back down before then.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The one wrinkle in all this is that cryptocurrency mining has driven GPU prices through the loving roof, so console manufacturers who typically buy integrated boards from AMD/Nvidia might be able to offer next-gen systems competitive with the midrange market for PC owners trying to build their own gaming rig. Assuming bitcoin doesn't just completely implode and crash prices back down before then.

Most console gamers give zero fucks about PC so this doesn’t really change anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm thinking about this from the perspective of PC gamers who would be more enticed to buy a $500 console if the price point was right in our reality where not even high-end cards still going for $650 remained a thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah console makers money should get them much more relative power this time around if bulk apus are cheap enough vs the gpu bubble but im no cerny so idk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anyway there's a danger in like not even attempting to hit 4k60 with the next console. That's basically the sort of thing that led to the Wii running out of steam by 2009 or so once they couldn't lean on the motion controls to sustain interest. The 8 years of the 360/7 years of PS3 before replacement show that people are willing to wait a while for upgrades if it'll be impressive enough, so there's time for xTwone 87 and PS5 to wait until 2021.

But you compare the Wii U and it was basically "what if you had a 360 but 7 years later and with extra gimmicks" and it just wouldn't sell.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am one of what I suspect is a very large part of the market that has a old-but-good-for-its-time LCD display.

My TV doesnt support HDR or 4K, so I cant see the point in buying the XboneX.

I would rather wait another 2 years, see if my display dies (although its Made in Japan so it'll probably last forever) and buy whatever console comes out then. Upgrading now the most I could hope for is games that allow you to set performance over graphics/detail but it seems not all games offer that (and Im assuming multiplayer games probably dont allow that anyway)

even outside of videogames I dont have any content to a justify 4K display since I get all my film and tv as :files: and my entire workflow for that is all based around an Apple TV, Plex, and a file server without the grunt to handle 4K/HDR content, and that file server is also what I use for my backups of my personal files and is nowhere near end of life either.

For me, jumping to 4K is a huuuuuge cost for not a lot of gain and given the current clip of technology its way smarter to just wait it out until OLED panels are mainstream and significantly cheaper, which they probably will be by the time the new consoles are released.

a lot of gamers are loving morons and they just buy whatever comes out as soon as they can and Sony/MS bank on that, which is probably how we ended up with a two-tier console generation in the first place. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw it happen again when we start seeing 8K panels hit the market.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is “the best looking game” out now? Is it even on Xbox one x? Lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Railroad Tycoon II remains the best looking game ever made

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Uhhh either God Of War or some multiplat on X. Maybe still Horizon? It's def not a Xbox exclusive and the only multiplat I can think of is stuff like rear end Creed and that doesn't out do Horizon.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hellblade looks stellar.

To me Ghost Recon Wildlands takes the cake. I’m constantly amazed how good the environment looks. Character models not so much, but the X enhancements make it look crazy good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think of people like my father-in-law who splurged stupid amounts of money on a curved OLED TV when his sources of entertainment are a PAL cable box which I believe peaks at 1080i, and a non-upscaling DVD player connected with component cables.

poo poo I have a dumb amount of 4K content access and even my options are embarrassingly limited:

UHD discs via my Xbox One X, which doesn't even play that well.
Apple TV 4K which actually gives you the best set of options and biggest library of content (especially if you're only wanting to pay a few bucks for movies), provided you have a beefy internet connection to tether it to.
Xbox One X games.
PS4 Pro games.
Netflix, pay a few bucks extra a month for access to like two BBC Earth documentary series, Netflix Originals, Breaking Bad, and Talladega Nights so you can relive your launch PS3 days.
Amazon Prime for Amazon Originals only
Pay $5 extra a month to get a new cable box (probably extra install fees too) where the only content you can actually get in 4K is screen saver stuff and NBA games.

Supersampled 1080p for gaming is good enough, especially when that lets you ramp up the detail level and/or framerate. :colbert:

PC isn't really viable because with a Geforce 970 poo poo slows to a crawl at 4K resolution and there aren't really good options to get resolutions in between that and 1080p (or at least I can't be bothered to waste time figuring it out). You'd need bare minimum a 1070 with a beefy processor (3rd gen i7 probably absolute minimum, ideally you'd want something 6th gen or more recent that's at least an i5). Battle.net and Origin don't know what to do with your desktop at 4K res so break out the magnifying glass.

If you're big on :filez: 4K isn't really viable. You can technically get 1:1 4K UHD rips but getting an HDR workflow that functions for file playback is really loving hard (and necessary to not get hosed colors since all UHD Blu-rays are baseline-encoded at HDR10 with no real way to properly get it to SDR), and unlike Blu-ray rips there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in terms of bringing the size down to reasonable level so you're stuck with like 60+ gig movie files which becomes a problem in a loving hurry even if there was an appreciable catalog of foreign or pre-2008 films.

And with the internet requirements and the current state of North American internet it's pretty dead even for streaming purposes.

Gonna really depend on what you want, people have said that about all kinds of game including ones which are on Switch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its still Jet Set Radio but Im willig to entertain other opinions

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Jet Set Radio on the xbonx

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Rez

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah maybe I just have pleb eyes or something but 4K doesn’t really seem to make much of a difference ime. HDR does, though.

HZD, GoW and GR:W are the best-looking games I’ve played.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For my money Rise of the Tomb Raider is still probably the best-looking game money can buy on PC, followed closely by TW3. Crazy to think that they're both almost three years old now. God of War and Horizon both come really close thanks to some fantastic art direction and lighting, but can't match the fluidity of a higher framerate on a 1440p monitor. Hellblade looks amazing as well with some really inventive performance capture and postprocessing effects to help mask the limited budget of the project. Then there are other games like AC Origins that while technically impressive don't manage to captivate me because the lighting looks so flat by comparison.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So basically there’s not a game on Xbox one x that is really that great lmbo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

An XBonx is pretty much just a midrange PC that can play Halo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NBA 2K18 is pretty easily the best looking game I've seen. Full 4K/60/HDR. Goons always be forgettin' about sports

(first part is a bit robotic but give it some time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imbd3qRy9E

This is a weird conclusion to come to. It's the best console for 98% of games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When you guarantee all your games will be 4k you gotta cut corners to get there

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In all seriousness, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. At least on consoles. I don't really know what could be the best looking games on PC. Forza 7, Grand Theft Auto V, and Destiny 2? On Xbox One, it's for sure Forza 7 in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This is a weird conclusion to come to. It's the best console for 98% of games.

Too bad 98% of the games people give a poo poo about aren’t available on Xbox