Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

AKA "A rotary and its supports vehicle"

In support of my entry into the TM2TW3 rally and also attempting to force myself to continue to stay active on SA, it's about time I started a thread on both long-term projects.

The primary focus will be on a 2006 Mazda RX-8. This specific one is the reason my wife and I met. It was a graduation present she bought herself. There is some serious sentimental value attached to it and thus, it will never be sold and I am also incredibly reluctant to turn it into a rally-x car.

Up until last summer, however, it has been a daily.

It will continue to be driven year long. Yes, those are Super Advans from my old FC being used as winter wheels. They fit perfectly (17x8 +35) and I spent way too long tracking down a set to not use them.

The second vehicle is the counter-jinx to the Mazda Renesis side exhaust ports and rotor side seal failure. (More on this later.)

A 2015 Ford F-150 which as it turns out is basically a unicorn due to its specific options. Those being 3.5 EcoBoost, rear wheel drive, max tow package, e-locker and bench seats. I figured that if I have something that can tow the 8, it should never leave me stranded. It's worked out pretty well so far.

So what are the goals for each?

RX-8
Short Term
  • All the reliability mods to keep a rotary happy and healthy
  • Usual km based maintenance replacing worn out parts with upgraded versions
  • JPS livery to keep the theme going that the wifes Martini Macan started
Long Term
  • 13B-REW swap with an EFR 9174

F-150
Short Term
  • Slam that bitch! (4"/6") Static drop
  • Usual km based maintenance replacing worn out parts with upgraded versions
Long Term
  • Turbo back true dual sidepipes in the factory running board location
  • Line-lock
  • Bigger IC
  • Meth
  • Tune

So what's the deal with RX-8's anyway?
Mazda's last rotary has somewhat of a reputation.

The good: It's a long wheelbase NC Miata that seats 4.

The bad: In order to pass emissions, Mazda moved the exhaust ports. This added additional heat to the rotor side seals causing premature failure. The factory ignition coils also don't last past 30k. Oh, and the oil injection system is computer controlled and was tuned incredibly conservative initially. Mazda hosed up pretty good with the 13B-MSP.

Despite all of this, it made 180rwhp in a 3000lb package equipt with a Torsen LSD. The similarities between it and the GT86 are there. Especially the complaints about the chassis not having enough power from the factory.

What about this one?
It's almost stock. I've made a few posts previously over the years on some maintenance.

At 80k km, the factory ignition system was removed and replaced with GM LS2 coils.

This is what a dead ignition looks like.

At 90k km, the factory clutch pedal bracket welds snapped. This is an incredibly common problem on all RX-8's and has allowed some people to buy these cars for very little money. Cars listed with broken transmissions often just need the pedal bracket welded back up.
This is a factory replacement bracket from Mazda seam welded preventing future problems.

At 100k km, the factory shocks were long overdue for replacement. They were so badly blown that each one was compressible by hand. The car was basically riding on just the springs.

There are now Bilstein B6's at each corner. Factory springs for the moment. I am in love with this combo.

Next up was a seafoam treatment. This one is a point of contention and I'll be honest. Based on how hard it is to clean the carbon off of rotors by hand mechanically or with a 4000psi pressure washer, I am doubtful this worked.
It made some serious smoke, however.
Step 1 is unplugging the eccentric shaft position sensor. I prefer to get at it from the top by removing the air box and reaching down between the AC compressor and crank pulley. The reason for disconnecting this sensor is that it is the only way to disable fuel and spark while still allowing the car the crank over.

Step 2 is connecting some tubing to the factory lower intake manifold ports. (With the correct restrictor nozzles in place, these two ports allow for super simple water injection additions.)

You can just make out the blue tubing in the bottom left connected to the rear LIM port.

Step 3 ???

Step 4 Profit, wait, no, SMOKE!

I am way prouder of that smoke ring then I should be.

This brings me chronologically to now, with the 8 having 111k km on it.

Sitting in the garage is a Megan Racing cat delete pipe since from the factory catalytic converters like to clog up due to the oil injection. Once that clogs, the additional backpressure and heat accelerate side seal failure significantly.
Additionally, without the cat, it will shoot fire like all proper rotaries. The exhaust system bolts are soaking in seafoam deep creep right now awaiting their removal tomorrow morning. The factory muffler with the cats removed sounds quite good and isn't too loud. There's a hint of rasp and bark to it but nothing crazy.

The car is also starting to exhibit significant axle hop on even soft launches, which indicates bushings are getting worn out. Replacement poly differential mount bushings have been purchased and are awaiting installation.
Complete poly bushing replacements for both the front and rear suspension will be ordered from energy suspension next month.

I am also hunting for a pair of dead engine mounts for an arts and crafts project.The factory engine mounts are oil filled and the rubber holding that oil in likes to crack when exposed to the elements and time. If you drain the oil and replace it with 90 shore urethane, you can make some decent replacement mounts for cheap. I have the 2 part urethane already. If I don't find a set of engine mounts soon, I'll remove the ones from the car one at a time over the course of a weekend.

Additionally, I should order new brake lines soon. The factory rubber lines are original. (The pads are Hawk HPS which were replaced at 65k.)

Yesterday I won an auction on Yahoo Japan for a factory miniDisc head unit. Hopefully, it will arrive before the TM2TW rally so that I can bring my Eurobeat collection with me.
I also have a Tactrix Openport 2 OBD2 interface cable on the way to work in conjunction with my copy of MazdaEdit.
This software allows me to edit all the factory ECU parameters and disable CEL codes. Like the one that will be generated by not having a cat. I can also bump up the oil injection rate and play around with the deceleration fuel trim tables to try and blow up the factory muffler.

You mentioned something about slamming something?
In my twisted mind, I think of pickup trucks as high COG muscle cars. They're body on frame, have big engines and can be RWD.
Since I am surrounded by Brodozers, I must lower it. It also helps my dog get into the truck easier and makes the bed more useable since I no longer will have to lift things up into it.

Currently, there is a 7" wheel gap between the front tires to fender lip and a 9" wheel gap between the rear.
The footprint is already 3" wider than stock in the summer thanks to a set of Method Roost wheels:

That qualifies as cheeky, right?

I plan on taking a two-step approach to lowering the truck. I already have lowering spindles and an axle flip kit. Problem is that in support of the axle flip, I need a single piece driveshaft. This is due to the overall length required is now shorter and the input shaft bottoms out in the transmission and that the factory carrier bearing and it's related angles get totally messed up. Additionally, A C-Notch is required to regain useable suspension travel.

So in the meantime, I have a Ford Performance lowering kit ordered (which is really just a rebranded GroundForce kit). This includes lowering shackles for the rear, which in conjunction with removing the factory spring/axle spacer block, nets a 2-2.5" drop and 1.75" lowering springs for the front, gets me started. I'll be combining that with Bilstein B8's next month.

I could have done everything all at once but then I would have had zero funds to spend on the 8.

So stay tuned for continued updates!

Edit: Images rehosted.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

McTinkerson posted:

At 90k km, the factory clutch pedal bracket welds snapped. This is an incredibly common problem on all RX-8's and has allowed some people to buy these cars for very little money. Cars listed with broken transmissions often just need the pedal bracket welded back up.
This is a factory replacement bracket from Mazda seam welded preventing future problems.

lol this happens on Mazdaspeed 6s as well

Wanna see that F150 lowered though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Interested to see where this goes, at least partially because I've been mulling over MazdaEdit for my own RX-8 and am interested in how OK/bad it is to use.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

So I'll be putting that thousand into making the RX-8 channel the spirit of Sweet Chili Heat.

McTinkerson posted:

isn't too loud
:colbert:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qtp-10300/overview/
Glad to see you finally doing a rotary thread tho. Lovin' the Super Advans.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That F150 is already a weapon. I love it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I despise lowered trucks, but you do you. That RX8 is awesome, though!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is a good thread.

Since mine went to the archives, I kinda want to start a new one to pair with this one with a title of "Hemorrhoids and turbo fours" to match my current set of cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

Hemorrhoids and turbo fours

What are you waiting for?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I want to see where this goes; I joked with my students earlier this week that I should get airbags and slam my 06 F150.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I would like to dedicate this post to Seafoam Deep Creep. You have my undying love.

The following was completed in Fifteen minutes. Not a single bolt or hanger was difficult. This car has lived in Alberta it's entire life and has been driven through every winter as a daily up until 2017. It was still driven through the winter of 2017/18, just not every day.

Header to Cat flange, soaked in seafoam. (17mm nuts and bolts for reference)

Ditto for the rear O2 sensor and mid-pipe flange. (22mm head on the O2 sensor, open-ended wrench was all it took. No extensions to break torque required.)
Motorcycle cable lube works incredibly well on the rubber hangers.

This thing is heavy. Best guess, 20kg or so. Maybe a little more. Zero broken bolts or nuts.No visibly cracks or holes anywhere.

Front O2 and factory header looks fine, definitely got toasty.
I obviously fired the car up on open header. This summoned over both immediate neighbors, terrified all pets and children and unfortunately required shutting it off sooner rather than later. Or else there would be video. It was glorious for the 30 seconds it was running, however.

Old and busted vs new hotness.

New pipe is in and everything lined up perfectly, leak free.

Now to go rip this thing around while shooting flames on every shift.

Further developments: MazdaSpeed CAI acquired. Used but that's A-OK.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 11, 2019

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
It's not terribly surprising that Mazda can't make rotaries anymore when you look at the size of "modern" RX cats. The main cat on the FD is ~35lbs and the precat was ~25.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Have you read about the Speesource RX-8's - the factory intake is tuned so well that they left it stock on their track cars. It's made me question CAI's on 8's ever since.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

destructo posted:

It's not terribly surprising that Mazda can't make rotaries anymore when you look at the size of "modern" RX cats. The main cat on the FD is ~35lbs and the precat was ~25.

And worth approx $500 in scrap combined when platinum was high. I believe I sold ~3-4 cats and 2 pre cats for $1200.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Those welds on the bracket are pretty slick. Did you do those?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Have you read about the Speesource RX-8's - the factory intake is tuned so well that they left it stock on their track cars. It's made me question CAI's on 8's ever since.

I am 100% convinced that the AEM/MazdaSpeed CAI will lose me power over the stock intake. The reason for it is engine bay thermal management. With the removal of the stock airbox and the eventual relocation of the battery to the factory washer fluid reservoir location, I hope to be able to reduce engine bay temps by allowing the radiator fans to work more efficiently in conjunction with a vented hood. Currently, the battery and air cleaner box direct all the air down and out through the bottom along either side of the engine.

On the subject of the Speedsource RX-8's, I will post my Sevenstock 13 pictures once I get some more time. Pretty sure I have pictures of the whole fleet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have similar fitment on my f-250, although i run them through the winter and have a rock chukin tread, but it has basically sandblasted the inside lip of my fenders. Trucks with factory 20s get those barely noticeable plastic fender flares. If it was me, i'd just get a roll of that 3m clear film, and run it round the painted portion of the inner fender.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I have similar fitment on my f-250, although i run them through the winter and have a rock chukin tread, but it has basically sandblasted the inside lip of my fenders. Trucks with factory 20s get those barely noticeable plastic fender flares. If it was me, i'd just get a roll of that 3m clear film, and run it round the painted portion of the inner fender.

That is an excellent idea. I've had the wheels for two seasons now and the inner fender lips so far show no signs of sand blasting, however I should do this anyways.

Minor update, no pictures yet.

Summer wheels are back on the truck. I lost a center cap some time last fall. Need to order a replacement.

Stainless braided lines are ordered for the RX-8 and the MazdaSpeed CAI has been cleaned and is awaiting installation.

In support of the JPS livery, I want to paint the factory wheels. Top two choices thus far are Duplicolor Metalcast gold or Duplicolor Effex Black with a gold rim tape lip.

Should be able to make some more progress this weekend. Planning on CAI installation and getting at least one wheel painted.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Home ownership is fun! Zero time to work on any vehicles this past weekend. Did get a little bit completed throughout the week, however.

These were the lugs I bought with the Method wheels two years ago. They have been through one winter. What the gently caress? They were supposed to be powder coated.

These are the new set ordered off eBay for half of what the previous set cost.

Old vs new. I will never be giving ProComp money again.

I also cannot find a place to order a single center cap in Canada...eBay has nothing and Method will not sell directly.

Summer (aka stock) wheels are also back on the 8. Maybe I'll have time to paint a pair of wheels this weekend. DoritoPower is coming over on Saturday and we're doing a full cut and polish on the paint in prep for the JPS livery.

Does anyone know where I could find vector files for the JPS crest/garland logo?

Clarke really wants to know.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2019

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Brandsoftheworld has a couple of JPS logos so you could start from there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Waffle House posted:

lol this happens on Mazdaspeed 6s as well

Wanna see that F150 lowered though.

I had a 323 GTX with the same issue, so it goes back far. That might have been because it had a CenterForce clutch in it for 150K miles, though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I thought those lug nuts were corks at first and got very confused.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I thought those lug nuts were corks at first and got very confused.

Yeah, it is absolutely reddiculous how bad they are. ProComp didn't care when I sent them the pictures either.

RX-8 update: Paint work has been delayed due to DoritoPower having access to a lift in under a month which will save both of our backs significant stress.

All recalls on the 8 are now also completed. Passenger side airbag and new fuel pump assembly installed by Mazda. Turns out that while it's only the fuel pump cradle outlet pipe that needs replacement, Mazda gives you an entirely new assembly. So I got a free new fuel pump.

The to do list now is as follows:
1) Complete removal of air pump assembly. This will require the creation of a block off plate for the exhaust manifold fresh air injection point. Luckily I kept Sweet Chili Heats original hood.

2) Installation of the Mazdaspeed CAI. This requires removal of the front bumper making it a 4-ish hour job if I take my time.

3) Paint the factory wheels gold. Problem is which gold? Going to try and paint one wheel this week with metalcast gold and see how we like it.

4) Install the poly differential mount bushings. This is apparently a royal pain in the rear end due to the location of the bracket and the usual bushing removal shenanigans.

5) Install the full energy suspension front and rear bushings kits. Ugh.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
As a side note from working with quite a lot of different coating types (paint, PVD, CVD, ESAVD etc etc), nothing smells more of bullshit than when someone lists the coating tech used as a selling point in itself. The paint industry has done an amazing job of selling powder coating as better than other types of paint, but most of the advantages are on the manufacturing side of things IMHO.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really want to do home powder coating but outside of a few local guys that I trust and who do re-shoots for free at a massive loss, I haven't seen anything good come out of a commercial operation.

McTinkerson posted:

RX-8 update: Paint work has been delayed due to DoritoPower having access to a lift in under a month which will save both of our backs significant stress.

A lift is the best thing ever. It helps keep your broken car off the ground for months so you can store more parts underneath it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ask me how I added 15 hp to the RX-8 in 5 minutes.

Been saving this one for a while now.

The last Sevenstock 13 souvenir.

Rotary13B1 will also be getting more money from me soon.

Overnight parts from Japan showed up:

Buyee / Yahoo auctions Japan is loving dangerous. This was $5. I almost bought another set of 17x8 Super Advans for $100. No, I did not forget a zero...
The plan is to only use the miniDisc player and MD bezel trim piece. Also going to retrofit a Bluetooth unit to the factory radio as well.

Tuning cable to allow modification of the factory ECU has arrived:

All the bushings!

I am currently planning on painting each part gold that is getting new bushings...

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 11, 2019

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Holy poo poo a factory MiniDisc player? That's amazing and so very Japanese. I love it. You should totally just get a proper MD writer and listen to all your music that way. For authenticity.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lowering trucks is cool and good and I am now going to yahoo auctions to stare at Advans because I need some in my life at some point soon...

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Lowering trucks is cool and good and I am now going to yahoo auctions to stare at Advans because I need some in my life at some point soon...

I agree with this entire post.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Do the Japanese radios do the US broadcast band?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They receive anything below 90mhz. Most of australia's FM radio stations are 90-100mhz unfortunately. Though you can get a frequency shifter/stepper to change 10-12mhz band rannge- pretty common tech that's been around for 30 years due to all the imports we have in NZ and Au so they're like $20 on ebay. (display doesn't change - you just mentally ad 10-12mhz when scanning). But who listens to the radio these days anyway?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fo3 posted:

They receive anything below 90mhz. Most of australia's FM radio stations are 90-100mhz unfortunately. Though you can get a frequency shifter/stepper to change 10-12mhz band rannge- pretty common tech that's been around for 30 years due to all the imports we have in NZ and Au so they're like $20 on ebay. (display doesn't change - you just mentally ad 10-12mhz when scanning). But who listens to the radio these days anyway?

CarPlay fucks up sometimes because Apple :v:

(I thought it may have been a VW problem, but it turned out the only fix was rebooting the phone)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I am not sure if the radio component of this unit can be modified to shift the FM band. I don't particularly care, however, since Mazda was smart enough to build the unit in a modular fashion. So the CD player, Radio, and MD player are all different physical units. All I have to do is bolt-in the MD unit and replace the blank bezel with the MD version.

I already have the entire Eurobeat / Initial D soundtrack spread over a dozen miniDiscs, so I think I'm good.

A little more progress was made this weekend.
I made a mistake last year and assumed that all synthetic GL-4 gear oils are created equally. That is not the case. The Aisin transmission in the RX-8's HATES Amsoil. It also hates Royal Purple and barely tolerates Motul. Mazda Factory oil, Idemitsu or Redline only.

So in went Redline MT-90. Group wisdom indicates that this should suffice.

I was also able to carve out enough time to paint two of the factory wheels.

Duplicolor self-etch primer, Duplicolor Wheel Gold, Duplicolor Effex Clear. The Effex clear is drat near impossible to photograph if you don't hit each wheel with a full can. Under direct sunlight, you can see tiny rainbow flecks.

The rest of the time this weekend was spent keeping this little monster busy.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 11, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good color choice.

What issue did you have with Amsoil? I've only ran Redline MTL after several bad experiences with Royal Purple.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Will the royal purple cause an odd humming noise from the trans? Buddy needed to change the fluid in his trans, so we used royal purple syncromesh since it was on hand. It sounds alot better, but still has some odd sounds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, you ran into the same problem I did with Effex - it blows out any metallics. You can definitely see it in person but it doesn't photograph well.

My plan on the next set of wheels I paint is to get a flatter gold/bronze non-metallic colour and then hit that with the Effex to give it the metalflake look.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Good color choice.

What issue did you have with Amsoil? I've only ran Redline MTL after several bad experiences with Royal Purple.

Almost immediately after switching to Amsoil, 4th gear would grind above 4k rpm and second gear would grind above 6k. The syncros were very very unhappy.

Seat Safety Switch is correct on the Effex getting blown out when used over top of any other metallic paint. I'm planning on hitting the stock chrome wheels on the F-150 with a can of Effex each before next winter, which should work much better and also be fabulous.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

McTinkerson posted:

I am not sure if the radio component of this unit can be modified to shift the FM band. I don't particularly care, however, since Mazda was smart enough to build the unit in a modular fashion. So the CD player, Radio, and MD player are all different physical units. All I have to do is bolt-in the MD unit and replace the blank bezel with the MD version.

This. I just. But with the...

Such a great idea and really it should be law all ICE works this way.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... since I have no idea where to start with radio stuff, is there any combination that would let me have a bluetooth connection from my phone to the RX-8 radio without it looking like poo poo?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

... since I have no idea where to start with radio stuff, is there any combination that would let me have a bluetooth connection from my phone to the RX-8 radio without it looking like poo poo?

I wonder if the Protege modules people made for line in would work, and just use a Bluetooth to line input adapter? I have Bluetooth on my 1987 323 stereo by hacking into the modular cassette module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'll be adding one of the eBay Bluetooth units that piggybacks off of the 6 disc CD changer head unit inout to mine when I pull it to add the miniDisc unit. I'll let you know how it works out and if it is worth it.

In other news further reenforcing that us rotards have significant masochistic tendencies, as soon as the RX-8 was back on it's newly painted gold wheels ( pictures will be added later today ) with fresh transmission fluid, the Secondary Shutter Valve (SSV) finally got stuck.

I was waiting for this to happen since the car has 112k on it and Mazda like all other manufacturers vents the crank case into the intake. The SSV is as a portion of Mazdas version of VTec that they have been employing on all N/A rotaries since 1985. Including in a slightly modified form on the LeMans cars.

So I will be cleaning that tomorrow, reality willing.