Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hiveminded posted:

Yeah Wardell is easily a piece of poo poo at least as terrible as Mecron and the Stardrive guy.

I've recall hearing about a sexual harassment lawsuit or something of that nature. Is there a good source that summarizes why Wardell is a piece of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Shugojin posted:

It also had a ton of non-stat related ship pieces that were free so you could play Space Legos to make all of your ships have flavor which was just great :allears:

God, I think I spent more time making my ships pretty than actually playing the drat game. Good times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hiveminded posted:

I've got some friends that were deep into Sins' multiplayer scene and it's still going pretty strong thanks to some Discord stuff and multiplayer promotion they've been doing.

I last played about the time Rebellion came out, any idea if they have fixed the rampant desynch problems at all?? That would be aces.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

They add x amount of mounts filled with that particular weapon type per module and also give the starbase a general buff per module.

What do you mean by that particular weapon type

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

What do you mean by that particular weapon type

Missiles, Lasers, or Projectiles? What else could they possibly mean?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If you build a kinetic module, the weapon slots added will be full of kinetic weapons. If you add a missile module, the weapon slots will be full of missiles, etc.

I think the hangar modules are a pretty pitful amount of slots or something too so they'd be bad even if strikecraft weren't already inherently bad?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've recall hearing about a sexual harassment lawsuit or something of that nature. Is there a good source that summarizes why Wardell is a piece of poo poo?

I don't remember the specifics but I want to say he released live bees into the Stardock offices or something?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Psycho Landlord posted:

I don't remember the specifics but I want to say he released live bees into the Stardock offices or something?

Wiz should be taking notes, that's how you get effort out of your programmers.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TaurusTorus posted:

Wiz should be taking notes, that's how you get effort out of your programmers.

Granted, most of the effort is spent running around screaming "AHHHH BEES THEY'RE IN MY HAIR THEY'RE IN MY HAIR", but effort is effort.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arrath posted:

I last played about the time Rebellion came out, any idea if they have fixed the rampant desynch problems at all?? That would be aces.

Yeah it's quite playable as far as I know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Specifically you choose between guided or medium weapons, so either some kind of missile or some kind of gun, the game generally does a spread of lasers/kinetics for guns and for some weird reason prefers missiles to torpedoes in guided slots.

All modules add 2 of the weapon listed, so generally guided is much better because a guided slot is roughly on par with a large weapon in terms of effectiveness, hangars are bad because strikecraft are bad (unless it's been fixed recently) and guns are worse than guided but I guess aren't susceptible to PD? Not that missiles really suffer from PD at the moment.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's really fun as a Devouring Swarm to completely cockblock three empires out the gate because your starbases cost 30 influence. Enjoy having three systems each, fuckos. I'm going to draw a line right to the big choke points and have all this territory for myself.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

He had some employees that said they were allergic to bees, so he brought in drones and put them on them and filmed it. (drones ain't got no stinger)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Chad Jihad posted:

He had some employees that said they were allergic to bees, so he brought in drones and put them on them and filmed it. (drones ain't got no stinger)
did he get sued to gently caress for that stunt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vasudus posted:

It's really fun as a Devouring Swarm to completely cockblock three empires out the gate because your starbases cost 30 influence. Enjoy having three systems each, fuckos. I'm going to draw a line right to the big choke points and have all this territory for myself.

It's even better with Purifiers and Exterminators, you just declare war on the first person you find, use your stronger fleet to steal all their starbases and then declare peace.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

If if a projectile is it a mass driver or autocannon? Do they auto upgrade?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

If if a projectile is it a mass driver or autocannon? Do they auto upgrade?

They automatically upgrade but the game randomly selects them, not always very intelligently but it will generally leave you with a fairly balanced loadout of lasers, drivers, and possibly plasma if you have it.

Just build a bunch on a station and watch what it does, that's by far the easiest way to get a feel for it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the tactical differences between using missiles vs strike craft?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Missiles are good, strike craft are bad.

That's it.

I mean if you want to get fussy, missiles shoot out of your ship and hit enemy ships bypassing shields and do damage, if the ship blows up before they get there they find another one to kill. Strike craft move slower and instead of hitting enemy ships they sort of faff about sometimes shooting piddly beams at them, but mostly not doing much of anything because they're buggy, and when they get shot down they're basically gone because they don't replenish fast enough.

So, missiles are good, strike craft are bad.

If you're making a military station basically just put a bunch of guns or missiles on it, the more you put on the better because each module also makes the station tougher and means it will be shooting all the other modules for longer before it's knocked out. That's the main reason to use them, because stations last much longer than platforms in combat and thus while their armament is not very impressive it is armament that tends to stick around for the whole fight, also stations generally get a tracking/fire rate/range bonus by virtue of being stations.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 14, 2018

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Arrath posted:

I haven't encountered anything like that in a long time even in hours-long 5s matches, so I'm inclined to say "Yeah"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hiveminded posted:

I haven't encountered anything like that in a long time even in hours-long 5s matches, so I'm inclined to say "Yeah"

Oh awesome. It used to be bloody terrible even with only 2 people on a LAN. Get a couple or 3 hours into the game and then ask for reinforcements somewhere and realize your two gamestates aren't even remotely similar. Might have to fire it up again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I tend to go all-guns on starports backed by all-missile platforms. No idea why or if it is optimal!

Also I know strike craft are bad and I am fully unable to care because space carriers are scientifically proven to be the absolute coolest poo poo.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I love space carriers so much, makes me sad they aren't super effective.

Space Empires IV had a pretty good carrier system, I still compare every 4X game to SE IV.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why are space fighters so bad again? Something about them attacking once and then buzzing off instead of going back for resupply or somesuch?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
They move too slowly, fan out sideways from carrier ships and then sort of meander over towards where the enemies are flying around most of the system in the process. Then they zoom in, shoot their 2-6 or whatever damage beams at an enemy and then go for a big, lazy circle around before coming back in to shoot again.

Meanwhile the enemy and its regular guns have been pounding on your carriers/hangar bay station the whole time.

Like I've said before they really need to get upgrades based on your thruster tech because in later game their goddamn host carriers can fly faster than them, leading to them getting left behind.

Edit: Also oh yeah, time on target means that while a small autocannon on a corvette has low damage, it's basically firing constantly while the strike craft might as well have a cooldown of 30 on those tiny guns.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 14, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Their weapons have a range of 5-10(The lowest range on a normal gun is 30), and aren't 360-degrees like normal ship weapons; they have a cone, like an X-weapon. So they make 'runs'. This is bad because they spend much time simply getting to the target. This is made worse by the fact they turn only as fast as a Corvette. You'd think they'd be faster to turn. Same problem again-time on target is bad, cutting their true damage.

For all their listed damage, piercing damage, and cool factor, they have issues crippling their actual use.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, I thought it was because they were bugged this whole time. Turns out they're just poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McSpanky posted:

Wow, I thought it was because they were bugged this whole time. Turns out they're just poo poo.
Carrier poo poo in general seems tricky because I don't think anyone wants to recreate WWII in the sense of "carriers just beat everything," but the problem becomes balancing them to battleships and similar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Pants posted:

They move too slowly, fan out sideways from carrier ships and then sort of meander over towards where the enemies are flying around most of the system in the process. Then they zoom in, shoot their 2-6 or whatever damage beams at an enemy and then go for a big, lazy circle around before coming back in to shoot again.

Meanwhile the enemy and its regular guns have been pounding on your carriers/hangar bay station the whole time.
Sounds like they could be fixed by giving them a high damage slow recharge weapon for the runs and also a low damage high refire weapon for point defencing any missiles or other strike craft they might run across on the way. Then they'd be missiles that occasionally shoot each other.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It wouldn't help. At the moment Point Defence of all sorts(Including Scout Wings, which still have fighter-type AI and try to shoot down missiles) basically cannot shoot down missiles. They don't have the damage or sufficent range to deal with the missile's HP and the speed before they hit home.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I mainly meant the high damage slow recharge bit, since if the problem is they only actually get to shoot every X days giving them a weapon that does X days worth of damage a hit seems like an obvious solution.

The tiny pew pew gun is really just flavour.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I think it's totally fine for carriers to have higher DPS than anything else, as long as they're shut down by massed flak. By 'massed' I mean 'half your fleet is flak-only DDs'. Hopefully they'll get buffed soon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wish there was a better use for food as the swarm. Eating two worlds is enough food to max pop growth across my empire, and I'm still stuck with 15 worlds on my books for 10 years inflating the hell out of my research costs. The food you spend on edicts can be replenished in like a year. I guess that's balance though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Aethernet posted:

I think it's totally fine for carriers to have higher DPS than anything else, as long as they're shut down by massed flak. By 'massed' I mean 'half your fleet is flak-only DDs'. Hopefully they'll get buffed soon.

Splicer posted:

I mainly meant the high damage slow recharge bit, since if the problem is they only actually get to shoot every X days giving them a weapon that does X days worth of damage a hit seems like an obvious solution.

The tiny pew pew gun is really just flavour.

Consider your most basic bomber-type from your first level of fighter tech. The damage is 2-8 every 2 days(Not necessarily counting time to target). A wing of strike craft is 8 craft. That's 16-64 damage. This damage ignores shields outright and does +50% to Armour. Same as a missile, really.

Or the ultimate bomber-type, at Advanced Strike Craft. Damage is 6-12 every 2 days. 48-96.

Even the basic Scout Wing-the only craft to still hunt missiles and other strike craft-isn't that foul for what it is at the time. 2-4x8=16-32.

The raw damage is not the problem, nor are the modifiers. From a numbers/spreadsheeting point of view, they're 'fine' as compared to regular weapons. It's their actual behaviour that causes the problem.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

I wish there was a better use for food as the swarm. Eating two worlds is enough food to max pop growth across my empire, and I'm still stuck with 15 worlds on my books for 10 years inflating the hell out of my research costs. The food you spend on edicts can be replenished in like a year. I guess that's balance though.

You're not eating enough worlds. Grab MoN, and invade more worlds, use the edict on the small ones and transplant pops onto the newly conquered ones to keep growing. It'll hurt in research terms, but you want to big enough through pop growth to enable large +regen low tech fleets everywhere and lots of starbases with anchorages.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
What's the highest number of ethics you've seen on an empire?
Because I've just met fanatic egalitarian, fanatic xenophobe, militaristic, materialists. That adds up to two entire civilizations :psyduck:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RedSnapper posted:

What's the highest number of ethics you've seen on an empire?
Because I've just met fanatic egalitarian, fanatic xenophobe, militaristic, materialists. That adds up to two entire civilizations :psyduck:

"Everybody is totally equal and must have the same rights, except for those filthy ungodly alien scum! Also we love science and progress, but we also love explosions and killing people!" :confuoot:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TorakFade posted:

"Everybody is totally equal and must have the same rights, except for those filthy ungodly alien scum! Also we love science and progress, but we also love explosions and killing people!" :confuoot:

so they're racist gnomes?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

double nine posted:

I'd go for "typical goonciv"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaal posted:

I'd go for "typical goonciv"

that's what I said

double nine posted: